Chapter 10. Patron
1.9k 7 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sudden arrival of the youngest daughter of the Weinstein family to the Dickens family estate caused a stir among others. No one could understand what this girl with an unfavorable reputation needed here.

Grace arrived alone without an escort. When the pretty young girl got out of the carriage, the servants present nearby immediately whispered.

— What's going on? Did she confuse the duke's estate with a brothel?

But despite the rumors surrounding her, Duke Weinstein's daughter was very unperturbed. Soon Roger himself came out to meet her.

— It's you! — he was very surprised, — What brought you to our house?

Grace smiled kindly at him.

«Sir Dickens, I'd like to meet your father.»

— What…?

— It's important.

The woman did not go into any details, which only confused Roger even more.

«Is the Duke at home now?»

«Father…» Roger said slowly, «Father is at home, but a little busy…

— Nothing. This conversation won't take long.

The young gentleman sighed.

— Okay.… But I promise nothing. Then let's go inside.

When the maids saw how the young master personally escorted this impudent girl, they were even more indignant. No wonder there were rumors that the Weinstein's daughter was having affairs with almost every aristocrat from secular society. By current time standards, this was simply outrageous.

«It can't be! This trash is going to fuck up our master too?!»

But unfortunately, there was nothing they could do in this situation. The servants watched in disappointment.

Grace and Roger entered the lavish front door of the Dickens Estate. It was the biggest house a woman had ever been in. No wonder the duchy is called one of the most influential in the empire.

— I will inform my father about your visit.

— Yeah.

Roger went to his father's office on the top floor, and I waited in the hall. By the atmosphere that reigned in the house, it was possible to guess that I was not expected. My mere presence overshadows the decorous surroundings here.

Roger was not away for long. When he came down again, he had a not very happy expression on his face.

— Father said…

I sighed.

— I know.

— what?

«The Duke doesn't want to see me, does he?»

Roger pursed his lips. In fact, he was going to tell me the same thing, only in a milder form. But I didn't need these explanations. Anyway, today I will meet with the Duke despite his reluctance.

— It's all right, — I smiled, — Anyway, I'll say that you tried to stop me.

The guy froze in amazement, while I went to the duke's office without further ado.

— Lady Weinstein, wait…!

I didn't answer him and continued to walk forward stubbornly. Roger has already given up trying to catch up with me. I broke into the right door without asking and stood on the threshold. A middle-aged man at his desk looked at me indignantly.

— You…! How dare you?

— Don't worry, Your Grace. I won't take you more than five minutes.

Roger's father was very similar to him, and, one might say, was an adult version of himself. The same scarlet hair and blue eyes of icebergs. The duke was usually very serious, and it was impossible to make even one muscle twitch on his face. But now he's clearly angry.

The Duke was looking at me so fiercely as if he was ready to kill me. But I didn't show my fear in front of him in any way. This person should know who he is dealing with.

William Dickens grinned icily at me.

— I can't believe it. Our family is already so out of favor that any trash dares to break in here at any time?

I answered him with an icy smile in the same manner.

«Sir, I'm afraid you've made a mistake. Can the Weinstein family be attributed to the above?

«Lady, I think you know better than I do.

The lightning between the two of us was by no means unfriendly. However, I wasn't going to have a good relationship with him. The main thing is that this person agrees to make a deal with me.

«So you're willing to accept me?»

— Do I have a choice? — he grinned, — It seems that you are already here.

— That's great.

I sat down in the guest chair and looked at him carefully. He did the same while waiting.

— How can I help the noble Lady Weinstein?

His contemptuous intonation on the second syllable did not confuse me at all. I calmly replied:

— I want to make an agreement with you.

— Hmm?

— I ask you to become my patron.

Duke Dickens was stunned. He did not expect me to suggest something like this in the second minute of our meeting. And from his look, I immediately understood what exactly came to his mind. Especially with my reputation…

— Lady, you have turned to the wrong person. I'm not interested in…

— It's not what you think.

— What…?

— Our relationship will be strictly business. I want you to help me restore my reputation in society.

Hearing this, the formerly cold Duke laughed.

«Ha… Lady Weinstein, you really are an interesting person. And what can you offer in exchange for my patronage?

I smiled.

— That's an interesting question. What you want.

— Hmm?

«Emperor,» I said slowly, «you've been wanting to get rid of his shackles for a long time, right?»

Duke Dickens was stunned. Obviously, he had no idea that I knew about something like this. But I knew everything.

The real reason why Roger left home and quarreled with his father was the emperor. Once upon a time, this man was his close friend — and they fought together shoulder to shoulder on the battlefield. But then, after the current emperor ascended the throne, everything changed dramatically.

The emperor took all the laurels in the military victory for himself. And William himself… He left only a miserable place by his side. He was called the «chain dog» of the emperor, ready to carry out any order and dirty work instead of him. The Duke hated that nickname.

And he was even more disappointed in his own son when he, at the age of sixteen, expressed a desire to join the imperial army. The duke did not want his son to grovel before the emperor all his life, like him. On the basis of this, they quarreled. Roger left home and no longer spoke with his family.

In Roger's storyline, they met their father only at the very end. When he was suffering from a long-term illness, was on his last legs. The reconciliation of the Duke and Roger took place literally on his deathbed.

Despite the fact that I knew about the sad outcome of this character, I did not feel sorry for him. Right now, I was going to use this information to form an alliance with him.

Edison was right: the Duchy of Dickens had a lot of influence. William is the best candidate for the role of my patron. And even though it was a risky step, I decided to take it.

— You… — he exhaled, — But who are you?

«The one you called 'trash' before,» I reminded her with a friendly smile.

There was a brief silence in the office.

— I have no idea what you're up to, but… — the man clenched his teeth, — Keep in mind that my hatred applies only to HIM. I will never betray the empire!

I shrugged my shoulders.

— Of course. Why would I harm the country I live in?

The Duke's eyes narrowed suspiciously.

— Then what are your plans?

— Stop being trash.

— …

— Of course, you won't believe me just like that… Therefore, today you will receive proof of the seriousness of my intentions.

While the duke fell into a stupor from my resolute answer, I already knew what he was thinking. Most of all, William longed to stop serving the emperor. However, for many decades, he refused to release him from his position in the palace. After all, Duke Dickens was a very useful man.

Today I will personally remove these «shackles» from him.

And my words were not long in coming. After a couple of minutes of our silence in the office, a servant suddenly knocked on the door.

— Sir! — he hastened to inform, — A letter from the imperial palace!

— What…?

The man intercepted the envelope in his hands, and opening the seal, began to read the contents. With each line, the pupils of his eyes grew wider and wider.

He couldn't believe what he saw.

— How… How did you do it?!

The position of adviser to the imperial palace — which was more humiliating than it brought benefits. A pathetic handout from the emperor that he would rather not receive. In the blink of an eye, this problem was solved.

And by none other than…

«The fallen woman of the whole empire.»

Duke Dickens was speechless and looked seriously at Grace Weinstein for the first time.

The young aristocrat smiled at him.

— So what do you say to my proposal?

61