Chapter 19. Partners
1k 0 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This Sunday, a large-scale art exhibition was held at the art gallery. Both works of classics and young talents gaining fame were presented.

People of different generations and social strata came to see it. And not just to see. Someone even taught a lesson here. A young woman in an elegant burgundy dress was leading an excursion to her only student. The woman's awareness of art was no worse than the best guide.

Well, at least I still have some useful knowledge. Duke Weinstein gave his daughters the best education. For several years, the best foreign tutors have been studying with Grace.

The names of the paintings and their descriptions themselves popped up in my head.

— «A walk by the lake», — I declared, pointing to another masterpiece, — The artist William Brines. It was written in one thousand six hundred and twenty-one, and was timed to coincide with the anniversary of the then emperor…

Roger followed me everywhere and listened attentively. Sometimes he asked leading questions, but mostly I was the only one who spoke.

Our tour lasted a couple of hours, and during that time I managed to give the guy a brief description of all the paintings in the gallery. As an introductory lesson for our classes, this was quite enough.

Finally Roger and I appeared at the last painting. The canvas was huge and placed on the entire wall. The idea of the work seemed to me very ordinary: an ugly creature with horns, similar to a demon, devoured a person. The picture was frightening and exciting at the same time. I noticed that Roger soon turned away from her.

— Don't you like it? I asked.

— This… Quite unusual,» the guy replied uncertainly.

— Really? — I said, looking at the picture, — And it seems to me that there is nothing special about this idea.

Roger looked at me in surprise.

— But I haven't seen this before.

— Do you often visit exhibitions in your free time? — I asked a counter question.

He was embarrassed.

— Not really…

I sighed.

— Vices consume a person. This is quite common. You don't even have to look at the painting.

— …

— Sir Roger, do you understand what the artist meant?

— …It seems that you have already said everything.

— Not at all, — I smiled, — I just gave a hint.

He fell into a stupor.

— Then… I don't know.

— Think about it.

The guy was silent for a short time.

— Is it possible… — he began hesitantly, — That by allowing our desires to take over us, we ourselves eventually become like demons?

I grinned.

— A good guess,» I said, «then let me ask.» What do you want, Sir Roger?

He stared at me in surprise.

I smiled.

— I wonder what a person who has everything wants.

Obviously, this unexpected question on my part put him at a dead end.

«Lady, I think you're exaggerating… Roger tried to object.

«Not at all,» I said, «you are the only son of Duke Dickens, the emperor's right-hand man. Many can only dream to be in the same place as you.»

«I… never thought of it that way.»

— Indeed. People rarely attach importance to what they already have. You were born with a diamond spoon in your mouth and never thought about how ordinary people live.

Roger was indignant. Resentment slipped into his intonation.

«Lady, do you think I'm that kind of person?» Is money and status the most important thing for me?

I put pressure on Roger's sore spot on purpose to get him to show emotion. I didn't really think so.

In the game, the guy was a pretty noble person. He voluntarily gave up his status to join the imperial army and protect the people. For several years, the guy lived in the barracks along with the rest of the commoners who entered the service. Not every aristocrat was capable of such a feat.

And yet right now I didn't really care how decent a person he was. Once in this world, I initially forgot about one important thing. Only the main character could easily get all the sincerity and love here. And I… Why did I even think that the attitude towards me would be the same? To achieve something, I will have to make some efforts. And it doesn't matter what it will be, my sincere intentions or blackmail. I decided a long time ago: if Roger is not on my side, then I don't need him.

«Sir Roger, you're exaggerating,» she smiled gently, «of course I don't think that of you.»

— …

The guy looked away.

— However, today I want to clarify one issue with you.

— Which one?

I put my hands behind my back and began pacing in front of the painting.

— We can continue to pretend that there is nothing. But today I suggest you make a choice. Our future relations depend on him.

Roger frowned, not understanding what I was getting at.

— What do you mean? he asked bluntly.

«The Duke ordered you to keep an eye on me, right?»

The guy shuddered. His pupils dilated.

— I'm me…

— It's all right. I'm not going to blame you. Moreover, we can continue to play this game.

The guy swallowed.

— I can tell you how many people we have. It's not such a big secret. Will my answer suit the Duke?

I specifically spoke in such phrases. Roger didn't like my mocking tone of conversation.

— Stop it… — I could see from his eyes that he was feeling more and more guilty in front of me. That's what I needed.

«Sir Roger, you're a smart man. They should separate black and white. What is profitable and what is not.

— …

«Your father ordered you to keep an eye on me, and you didn't refuse. But have you ever thought that you have another option?»

Roger looked at me in surprise.

— Another…?

— You are going to join the imperial army. The Duke will definitely not support you, and I will.

We were standing opposite each other. I felt that the most fateful moment of our relationship was being decided now.

I said I would support Roger in his quest to become a knight. I knew that nothing like this had ever happened in the game. Leaving the title of heir, Roger neither received approval from society nor from family members. The guy was completely and completely alone on this field. Even his father turned away from him.

Meanwhile, at this stage, support for Roger was extremely important. He's just a sixteen-year-old boy who was about to embark on an unknown path. And I made it clear that I was on his side.

— You… Don't you think it's weird?

«Not at all. You're following your dream, what's wrong with that?»

The guy was taken aback. He was waiting for at least one of the adults to say these words to him.

— Now we are both in a difficult situation. Therefore, it will be right to support each other.

— What do you mean…?

«I suggest you work together,» I said…And that your father had nothing to do with it.

Roger blinked in surprise.

— Sir Roger, let's become partners.

24