Rise of the dark sorceress
60 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Merle's POV

"How are you progressing with the third-generation fire lamps?"

"We are still far off great sage."

"How incompetent are you guys? I have given you three months to come up with the solution to the mana inefficiency but you have nothing?"

"Unfortunately 3 months wasn't enough time, great sage."

"How is three months not enough time? Within that period I was able to develop far more."

"I am afraid with our numbers as compared to the other elemental associations we are not that good. As you know fire mages prefer joining the military rather than joining the Engineering and civil societies so we cannot do both production and research we have to compromise on one and frankly, as the second-gen fire lamps are, they are pretty efficient. You should know this great sage as all these lamps were personally developed by you."

"They were but they can still be improved."

"To be honest with you great sage you are a genius beyond all comprehension and we are just average joes so accomplishing the research using the time you allocated posed a challenge."

"Okay let me look at at least what you have right now and see if we can do anything...

The lamp itself is still the same but the quality of glass I can appreciate the improvement. It is looking a bit clearer than the previous versions but what use is it if you have the soot problem? It's getting expensive to clean them."

"It is still an improvement, ever since we integrated small chimneys into the lamps the soot cleanup has lessened from every day to thrice a week."

"That isn't that great of an achievement do you have anything else that you have improved upon?"

"Unfortunately not your greatness."

"Oh my... Okay how are things going with the water association, I mean did they manage to merge the waterways and magic ways."

"Yes, we made sure to follow your instructions great sage."

"Good, I will confirm with them."

"Great sage I have a question?" 

"Okay go ahead."

"I still don't understand why you had us make three layers for the pathways."

"Well, my friend that is because we need to separate the mana from the water of course."

"What do you mean?"

"Did no one of you read the plan? We saw it but..."

"So you did this as mindless slaves, oh how far we have fallen."

"Excuse me great sage, I actually think I understand what you were doing by developing the three-layer supply system."

"Oh? Do tell."

"Well the system is made up of three parts, that is the outer layer, inner layer and the core."

"Right, continue."

"The outer area is engulfed by a huge stone pipe crafted by the earth society, the outer part of the pipe is used to collect and insulate."

"Collect and insulate what?"

"Mana?"

"Okay continue."

"The middle part is used to supply mana-induced water and to also protect the water from unnecessary impurities."

"What about the material it is made of?"

"Oh, it is also made out of the earth but there is a difference between the two in terms of size and structure and all this I believe was intentional."

"Ok please continue."

"The outer layer is made up of clay and has a cylindrical form that has a bit of metal bars that help maintain its structural integrity. It has a uniform thickness and a hollow space which is partially filled with sludge water that flows in the opposite direction from the normal water in the second layer. Speaking of the second layer it is also made of stone and clay but it's lined with porcelain which allows for an easier flow of water. The thickness of the layer is a bit smaller than that of the first layer and the diameter is almost half that of the first layer. In this layer is where the mana-induced water is transported. In the third layer is where we have the core which is made up of mostly copper metals. I have to say great sage you truly are a genius. The design of everything is so intricate and well thought out. You even thought of a way to counter heat shock. And the sluice gates. Who would have thought of that as a way to increase water pressure and work well with the corners and the heat too? Like your design might I say is an evolution to engineering as we know it?"

"Thanks for the praise but I think you give me too much credit. I only got these Ideas from studying someone's inventions."

"Who might ask."

"You can say an even greater genius."

"Is there such a person?"

"Of course, Anyway since there is nothing else any of you has come up with. We will proceed with the idea. I will go and check with the water association to see if they finished building the water and magic units so that you can move on with the metal conductors from the separation point. But before I do that I need to check on your metal work to make sure the metals have been moulded to the desired specifications."

"As you wish great sage. Right this way."

"Here we are at the forge."

"Oh my, it really is hot. You need to improve the overall ventilation of this place. We don't want any of you getting a heat stroke."

"We will need the help of the Earth and Wind Associations for that."

"Yeah do what you want. Write down the proposal and I will go through it and approve it. Sure thing your greatness...

Okay here are the copper bars that we managed to produce."

"Nice they look well made and seem to fit the specifications. I am relieved to see that you are all not very incompetent. Anyway, now that I have seen..."

The sizzling sound of water boiling and evaporation slightly made my attention spill over to see that... they were making swords!!

"Wait is that a sword!! Why are the fire association forgers forging swords."

"Well Your Greatness, the queen decreed that half of the fire association be diverted to sword production."

"Wait what, why was I not informed of this? I am the head of the Engineering Association so these are things I am supposed to be informed of. What of the military development unit? Don't they have enough labour?"

"Unfortunately, not your greatness. We were told that their numbers were too low so half of our workforce was diverted to their cause."

"How are they low? Don't they have thrice our numbers?"

"Yes they do but supposedly that is too low of a number."

"That explains why your development has been so slow. I need to find a way to fix this."

"So do we need to continue on the development of the fire lamps or should we focus on moulding hot copper rods."

"Wait, what did you say?"

"Hot copper rods?"

"Hot rods, that is an interesting perspective. I think I have an idea of how to improve the efficiency of the lamps."

"You do your greatness"

"Yes, but I am not sure if it would work."

"Could you please be sure with us please? I am eager to hear what new revolutionary ideas you have."

"Oh, I see your enthusiasm. You are the one who figured out my three-layered system so maybe I could share this idea with you. Do you know what this is?"

"A tong?"

"Yes but what is in it?"

"Hot iron?"

"Yes but what colour is it?"

"Red, Orange ."

"And what is its usual colour."

"Grey maybe silver, sometimes brown."

"Exactly so why does it change to reddish orange when it is heated up?"

"Because of the fire?"

"Well yes I suppose, but it's more so because it gets heat energy from the fire, which makes it become orangered or in other words light up. So what if we used metal rods to produce light instead of fire?"

"Your greatness that is genius."

"Are you sure that would work, won't the light produced be very minimal great sage?"

"Well you are right but we can always research to see how we could amplify the light emitted."

"But as you have seen great sage we do not have enough personnel to research anything."

"You are right about that but I think he can do it. What is your name again?"

"My name is Ciman great Sage."

"Ciman, that is quite a lovely name."

"Thank you your greatness."

"So Ciman will work on the research all by himself while the rest of you work on the production of the braided copper wire knotted rods."

"As you wish great sage."

"For now let me go and discuss this problem with Her Majesty. I unfortunately do not have the time now to visit the water association so you the head of Fire engineers go and find out the progress of the waterways. If they have finished fixing the first parts till the separation unit, inform me so that we can begin the final stage of the project."

"As you wish great sage."

It looks like my plan will have to be halted for a while. I have to fix this issue fast, I don't want to be the slave of the church forever.

0