Chapter 15: The Guildhall
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
TIL that, apparently, I am bad at using the Scribble Hub scheduler.

Chapter 15: The Guildhall

The soft voice gave me a hint of a reflexive nerve shiver on the back of my neck. “Hi Ann, I’m Monday March and Buckle did give me some money to carry the pack on my back for him. Uhm, he got hurt, so he won’t be by until tomorrow at the earliest.” Seeing the pretty smile turn concerned I continued in a babble, “Uhm, Dominick said Buckle will be fine, but they are at the bath for now. And he said he would be by later for the packs, and I should get a room, and to ask for you and I still have stuff to do this afternoon, but I wanted to put this stuff down somewhere safe. So how much is a room?”

Ann’s recently concerned expression quirked to a smile again as I rambled, responding when I finally stopped. “Well, a single room and a common breakfast is normally 10 dollars, but as you are referred by Buckle, I can add in a common dinner as well. Drinks aside from water will be extra.”

“Uhm, what is an empty silver worth in dollars?” I hadn’t heard dollars measured, and in fact I’d only heard about silver and empty silver.

“Who was in charge of your education, Monday March?” Ann’s eyes narrowed a little but her quiet voice continued to tickle my eardrums.

I sighed and replied, then whispered to myself. “I am, I suppose. System Query: What are the most common currencies, mediums of exchange and their values?”

 

Three Queries consumed:

1) Common currencies are Dollars and MU or Mana Units
2) Common mediums of exchange are: Barter, Brass, Empty Copper, Empty Silver, Empty Gold, Charged Copper, Charged Silver, Charged Gold
3) The Value of these exchange mediums are:
a) Barter is Variable
b) Brass is 1/10 of a Dollar
c) Empty Copper is 1 Dollar
d) Empty Silver is 10 Dollars
e) Empty Gold 100 Dollars
f) Charged Copper is 1 MU
g) Charged Silver is 10 MU
h) Charged Gold is 100 MU

 

Bending at the knees I placed the wrapped body on the wooden floor and opened the little pocket on the side of Buckle’s pack where I placed the 7 empty silver he had paid me. Retrieving one of the silvers I held it out to Ann. “I expect that should cover the room for tonight, and the meals you offered?”

Taking the silver, Ann nodded and seemed to be ignoring any awareness about my mumbling and staring into space before paying her. “Let me take you to your room and help you set the lock.”

I agreed, and received permission to leave the glossy green bundle by the door as I would need it upon leaving for my errands.

Following Ann up the stairs she stopped beside one of 6 wooden doors, this one with the number 2 softly glowing on a rectangle beside it. Quickly tapping the corners of the smooth panel the number dissolved away. “Now if you hold your hand against it until it glows green, it will be keyed to you.” she addressed me with that whisper soft speech.

Holding my hand where she indicated, the smooth texture was coupled with a hint of a tingle, nerve endings detecting something more than simple pressure. As I waited for the panel to turn green, I noticed some of those ripples indicative to Mana. I held myself back from asking if it was a magical lock, having both come to that conclusion as well as not wanting her to look at me like I knew nothing. Again, that is.

The panel glowed green and the tingle stopped before Ann spoke again. “Good, now remove your hand until the green fades, and then place your hand back on the panel for a second.”

I followed the instructions, and there was a click. Ann gestured for me to push the door open. “Do you need anything else? The door will work for you until noon tomorrow, unless you pay for another day, or let me know that you are done here.”

“Uhm, Ann, could you help me untie the pack? Buckle cinched it up, and I’m not sure how to get it all off without maybe damaging it…” I trailed off.

Ann smiled a small smile again. “Okay Monday March, go on in and put your other burdens down, I’ll take a look.”

The floor was wooden, additionally the ceiling and 3 walls were wood paneled with one white wall outstanding. Two chairs and a table shared one of the wood paneled walls with a second door. A bed large enough for two of me was placed against another wood paneled wall with the foot facing the white wall.

Propping Buckle’s pack on the floor beside the table with his bow, I positioned myself so that the pack on my back was hanging over the table. “So when we did this, Buckle had me squatted down like so by the bench it was on. Can you reach the sides if I do this and loosen where things are tied?”

Ann looked closer, at some straps and things. She nodded and started fiddling with some of the straps. In a short time, the weight slipped from my shoulders and there was a small creak from the table, though it appeared stout and was made of thick wood. Finally released, I slipped from the straps and stretched as I stood.

As I was about to thank Ann for the help, I noticed her eyes were opened quite wide, glancing between me and the pack now resting on the table. Before I could thank her, she spoke, “How much does that weigh? How long were you strapped into it?”

“Uh, I’m not sure, and maybe since mid morning?” In my confusion it came out more as a question than an answer.

“Look, Monday, if you have some time after your errand or in the morning I’d appreciate it if you could help me with some lifting and carrying. Appreciate it by maybe upgrading your meals? Maybe a dessert?” Her light caressing voice sounded hopeful.

Expectations of being manipulated skittered about, but I thought I might, maybe, eat a little better that night. “And maybe a few brass? I’ll let you know after my errand, okay. It might take quite a while, I don’t know. But I’ll let you know when I’m free, okay?”

Ann’s nod was the end of it for now and I followed her back down the stairs. I thanked her for the assistance and assured her that I’d check in with her once I was free. Grabbing up the package containing the dead taz, I left the Pillow and Pie and spotted Bluebird watching me from across the street.

Pushing off from the wall they had been leaning against, we met in the middle of the street. “So why did you leave me to go in alone? I wasn’t even sure what the silvers were worth.” I could feel my exasperation influence my tone.

Speaking through an odd grimace Bluebird replied, “Ann wouldn’t take advantage, and call it a test of sorts?”

“Test?”

“See how you got along without oversight when it isn’t a dire emergency. Daily stuff, interacting with townsfolk, kid’s first errand, that sort of thing.” Their eyes were glancing up the street, not looking at me or the Pillow and Pie.

‘Mmmm Hmmm, so not the real reason, or not all of it.’ “Guild building then?”

“Guildhall, actually. System is a stickler for some terms, and that’s one of them. Heck if I know why.”

I just nod and walk beside their slim form as we go over a couple blocks, turn and are suddenly moving into an open set of double doors. They are both opened and propped to the side revealing a tavern space; filled with tables, booths and counters. Wood and leather fittings with decorations, images of battle and heroic poses, on the walls. Behind the bar is a large sign with words emblazoned in glowing text, bullet points glistening in blue light that ripples and appears to float in front of the wall, shimmering mana ripples obvious to me at a glance.

    • Welcome to the Guildhall!
    • M2 required for entry, yes this means you, even if you want to place a request
    • M3 required for System integration
    • 1 MU per 10 minutes of System Consultation, uncommon informational requests will have additional charges. 2 MU if a privacy lock is required.
    • File any requests with reception to the left ←
    • View and complete requests with agent to the right →
    • Special of the day - Onion Rings + In Stock Drink of Choice + Minor Request = $10
    • General reminder - DON’T take a SYSTEM CLASS without review

Moving into the doors with Bluebird there were a series of chimes cutting through the street noise and the chatter generated by a few of the tables inside the ‘Guildhall’.

Eyes from the tables, behind the bar and persons to the left and right fixed on me, not Bluebird, just me.

“Just checking in and confirming an existing, stand down you lot. Thanks for your vigilance.” Bluebird made a couple gestures and wiggled their fingers, I could only imagine them interacting with their own system interface. The chimes faded away and Bluebird faced me, “Welcome to the Guildhall of God’s Bath, Monday March.”

1