Chapter 20: Shopping
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Last of the latest batch. Again, weekly chapters on RR if you are interested, but will continue to batch update on SH at 10 chapter thresholds. Thanks for reading!

Chapter 20: Shopping

Ann nodded at my guess, “The left thumb has to do with long term relationships, silver or silvery looking means looking. Brass and gold usually means involved, but depending on the other rings it can…” Ann looked uncomfortable for a moment and changed subjects. “Looks like we are at our first stop!”

The building we had arrived at was 2 stories with light grey stone and dark stained wood. Wanda’s Wearables was painted in green on a whitewashed placard projecting out from the wall by a door.

Opening the door, Ann held it for me so I could enter, and then she took the bags back from me once we were inside. Various outfits were on dress frames and models around a large room. A woman with pale skin, brown hair, a small hat, various sewing tools on a belt about her non-narrow waist, and a smile turned towards us. “Welcome to Wanda’s, I’m Wanda and, oh Ann! Didn’t expect to see you today. Who’s your friend? They have lovely bone structure! And that skin tone would work for so many colors!”

Wanda had stopped working and been approaching the two of us as words gushed from her. I looked down at her, not way down, but she might have come up to my shoulders if I slouched. “Hello Wanda, I’m Monday March.”

“Monday, Monday, Monday! May I call you Monday?” Not slowing or waiting for me to respond, her words continued to tumble out, washing into us as if we’d stumbled in the surf. “Such stature, such presence! I do hope that you are here to buy, dear. I’ve 4 outfits that I already want to make for you! What do you both need today?” Wanda looked back and forth between us and was actually paused for an answer.

Ann and I looked at each other before the silver haired innkeeper responded. “Wanda, Monday March needs a purse, pack, bag or pouch, a couple pairs of underskirt garments that won’t flash too much skin. Any additional clothes should be discussed after, but you both will need to decide on cost. The two of us have additional errands to run, so if we can wrap this up in 15 minutes or so, that would be appreciated.”

Wanda nodded as she tapped a thimble capped finger against her bottom lip. “Well, well, well. Monday March, let me take some measurements and talk over options. I’ll set you up with a pair of undershorts, and a small backpack that would normally run a total of 7 dollars, for only 5. IF you allow me to sell you at least one outfit for about 10 dollars. I’ll plan 3 and you can select it after seeing the quick sketches.”

I agreed and the next 15 minutes were a blur of activity. Questions about color, measurements of my body while Wanda stood on a small stool and had me turn about, comments about Buckle’s craftsgoblinship and my lack of footwear.

Presented with 3 quick sketches; a simple short dress with sleeves to the elbows and a length that would run just below the knees, a short robe which could work as pajamas or casual wear that would cover my full arms but only extend down to my mid thighs, and a pair of bell bottomed jeans and a tank top. There were notes about possible colors, and I spent some time troubled in deciding between the robe and the blue jean outfit.

Wanda noted my indecision and seemed to glance off to where Ann was standing before she played into my indecision. “Hard to make a decision, hmmm? Well Monday, if you buy all three and let me pick all of the colors I’ll sell you all of it for 30 dollars, and include a pair of sandals, a hoodie, an extra pair of undergarments of my choice, and 3 brass rings. What do you think?”

Doing some quick math, that would still leave me with 70 dollars and change. I glanced about the shop and didn’t see anything else that jumped out at me which I might need, however… “Wanda, I’ll take that deal if you can make sure that each outfit has a couple of pockets that I can actually use.”

Wanda glanced at the sketches and agreed. “They won’t be good for hoarding, it would ruin the lines, but I respect a good pocket.” She said with a wink. The shorter woman buzzed about the shop, into a couple cabinets and gathered an oddly shiny blue backpack and 2 pairs of undershorts. “I’ll take 10 now, and the other 20 when you pick up the rest. Give me until at least midafternoon tomorrow. The pack is treated slimeskin, waterproof and durable.” Wanda gave me a brief rundown of the openings, straps, pockets and features of the slimeskin backpack. “It should be big enough to hold the outfits I’m making, and a bit more”

I exchanged an empty silver for the pack and 2 articles of clothing, and immediately added the rest of the coins in my hand to a small pocket inside the pack under the opening flap. After also adding one pair of shorts to the pack, I was directed behind a folding screen to put on the other pair. The ones she sold me were a soft beige fabric that contrasted with my grey skin, I struggled to clamp down on the shiver as I considered my coloration.

I slipped the pack over my back, thanked Wanda and told her I’d be back tomorrow afternoon. The shopkeeper warned me that I would have to try them on in case they needed last minute alterations.

Ann waved me to follow her after handing the bags back to me. I enjoyed not having one hand occupied with coins as I took them and followed. We stopped a few buildings over at what looked like a small warehouse with 2 doors. “Goode’s General Goods” was painted on a door that looked like a loading bay, besides which was a smaller door where we paused.

“Pop the bags in your pack for now, Monday March. I’m going to do some bargaining. I’d suggest you shop for soap, a towel and tooth care. All that should be in the shelves and cases to the right. If you knew you were going to be hunting or traveling, a mess kit and canteen would be worth considering. Probably worth picking up a small knife even so, just a generally useful tool.” Ann smiled, squared her shoulders, and silver haired head held high, opened and marched through the door.

The door chime was an odd clang that was loud and flat, objectionable after listening to Ann’s whisper. She gestured for me to go to the left and start my shopping as she opened her mouth and spoke in a way I’d not heard from her before, or from anyone.

A gust of wind whipped through the shelves and reverberated off the walls as suddenly Ann’s voice filled the warehouse, and not simply my ears. “Benjamin Franklin Goode! I’m here to pick up the order for the Pie, kindly review the contents with me so we can conclude our monthly dealings!”

Shaking my head I started looking for my future things, trying to ignore the rushed footsteps and intense conversation going on by the door. I’d just found the soaps and was looking at a rather odd brown lump when a very fake sounding throat clearing occurred near my left elbow.

“Excuse me, Em. That is our hunter’s soap, good for leaving no scent on you. Is there anything that I can help you find?” I looked down into the smiling face of a young girl in a yellow dress, a little over a meter tall.

Smiling back in kind I decided I could use the help to be ready when Ann was done. “Hello, I’m Monday March. I’m looking for a few things and I would be happy to have some help. What soap would you suggest for not too much cost that would be good enough for cloth and skin?”

“Well Monday March, I’m Millie Goode and it would rather depend on how tough your skin is. Something strong enough to get out dirt or grease might be too harsh for your skin, so many people buy both.” Given my Skin of the World, I wasn’t overly concerned so I settled for something meant for clothes, but not ‘too harsh’.

Happy with the selection, and hoping there were fewer options for the rest of my things, I let Millie know what I needed. “Thanks' Millie Goode, I could also use a towel, something for tooth care and a knife.”

“At Goode’s General Goods we don’t sell weapons, Em. Er, sorry Monday March. We do have cooking knives and small knives usable as tools if that would be good enough?” Her dirty blond pigtails bobbed as she expressively indicated another row with a case that had several objects locked inside. “How about we find your other things first, and then I can show you the knives after?”

“That will be fine Millie Goode.” I replied to her business smile with a grin of my own.

 

 

0