Appendix
59 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
The following is a selection of relevant information, listing certain characters who will be encountered throughout the story as well as explanations of terms and certain bits and pieces of lore. It will be updated periodically as new characters/terms are introduced. All information in this chapter is accurate as of Chapter 1 wherever possible, and the earliest possible point if not. There will be no spoilers for the story.

A Note on Chronology

The years in this world are divided into four distinct eras, only three of which are strictly relevant for this story. In chronological order, they are: the Dawn Age (DA) - spanning from the beginning of history until the First Forging; the Years of the Stars (YS) - from the First Forging until the defeat of the Sighted; the Time of Kings (TK) - from the defeat of the Sighted to the deposition of Fariel Torven; and the Beryllate (BA) - the years since the Berylblood of House Egéna have held political power. The story begins towards the end of Autumn in the year 684 BA.

The Grasp

The Grasp, also known sometimes as Fariel's Grasp, is the name given to the various kingdoms left unspoiled by the blight and devastation of the war against the Sighted. On several occasions in history, most or all of these kingdoms have been ruled as one entity. Most recently, King Fariel Torven - Fariel Fire-Eyes - united much of the Grasp in the year 1772 of the Time of Kings. Following Fariel's deposition and the exile of his followers by Jothe Egéna in 1779 of the same era, the Grasp has been splintered. The kingdoms of the Grasp in the present day are as follows:

  • Ardoress
  • Arast
  • Baiasa
  • Caranán
  • Dael
  • Edomuray
  • Falien
  • Girrear
  • Lindoien
  • Medelmar
  • Méor
  • Otenlan
  • Redesca
  • Retea
  • Salveir Tosal
  • Sephal
  • Thamm
  • Tuiar
  • Vedeol

Additionally, the lands in the heart of the Gerenal Mountains, including the Octal Tower of the Magi - although not a kingdom unto their own - are reckoned as part of the Grasp.

The Magi

Based out of the Octal Tower, the Magi are an ancient order. They claim descent from the Sighted - those individuals who, it is claimed, were witnesses to the First Forging and the birth of magic some 4000 years ago. Magi pass on their powers through Chains - a mechanism by which each Magi can bond to one other individual. These Chains die when a Magus dies without linking, and no new Chain can be forged. Eventually, given long enough, the Magi will die out completely. When they're gone, the magic of the Grasp will go with them.

Some of the notable Magi are as follows:

  • Darise Hay, of the Chain of the Blackbird
  • Malesind Wyme, of the Chain of the Blackbird
  • Yendren Sethe, of the Chain of the Cormorant
  • Myane Colarra, of the Chain of the Curlew
  • Easind Fann, of the Chain of the Curlew
  • Gettie Tennemere, of the Chain of the Grebe
  • Kana Fourn, of the Chain of the Grebe
  • Telis Heddorel, of the Chain of the Hummingbird
  • Telsa Cannaldan, of the Chain of the Kingfisher
  • Aldora Lindomel, of the Chain of the Nightjar
  • Eada Taphan, of the Chain of the Nightjar
  • Jenea Andomas, of the Chain of the Pheasant
  • Amice Merrimoth, of the Chain of the Starling
  • Edmys Mald, of the Chain of the Swallow
  • Rogess Haltest, of the Chain of the Swallow
  • Semma cos Rydenda, of the Chain of the Swan
  • Toral Aspen, of the Chain of the Wren

Ruling Families

Each of the kingdoms of the Grasp is a monarchy. The following section lists the ruling families of a selection of kingdoms within the Grasp - both the current regnant monarch and their close relations.

Caranán

The current ruling dynasty of Caranán is the House of Erdetey, a cadet branch of the House of Egéna that has ruled Caranán for a little under a hundred years. King Randast, the third of his dynasty, has no direct heirs.

Dael

The current ruling dynasty of Dael is the House of Egéna, the Berylblood. The current queen is Jelestal. She has three children - Benifold, Edesa and Wilstan.

Lindoien

The current ruling dynasty of Lindoien is the House of Talantus. Its ruler is King Mychal. Mychal has two sons, Rom and Mychal, and five grandchildren.

Redesca

The current ruling dynasty of Redesca is the House of Coranie. They have ruled Redesca since the deposition of Fariel Fire-Eye, and consider the act their proudest moment. The current monarch is Queen Elphoniane. Her only heir is her daughter, Idrisel.

Salveir Tosal

The current ruling dynasty of Salveir Tosal is the House of Braneffa. Descended from the legendary House of Blodeulyd, they have held the throne for near a thousand years, interrupted only by a brief period between 1753 and 1779 TK (when the throne was held by Rochard Torven and then his son Fariel Fire-Eye). The current monarch is Queen Eurgain II. Her heirs are her sons Gurian and Garmon, her daughters Elin and Eiriol, and her niece Mererid.

Tuiar

The current ruling dynasty of Tuiar is the House of Messane. At present, Tuiar's king is Descard II. Descard has no heirs of his own, but his sister Elgeth has three children (Andrem, Erram and Tythene) from her marriage to Lord Mattharl of Nastanen.

Vedeol

The current ruling dynasty of Vedeol is the House of Asmuth. Its ruler is King Harlan, whose eldest surviving son Edicas is heir.

0