The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 6
27 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Half a Year Later

Lilia was sparring with Bryson. It was just training, but Bryson had always taken it too seriously. It didn't help that his thoughts were filled with winning, winning by any means possible.

Training began immediately; they didn't give her time to process everything. At first, it was frustrating and exhausting. She didn't know how her body worked anymore. It felt like she was crawling while everyone else was running. However, over time, she slowly got used to it. Now, the training helped her work out how her abilities work. It was still exhausting, but now it was less frustrating.

Although she hadn't won a match yet.

In the area beside Lilia's, Druid and Shadow were fighting. As fire surrounded her, Druid used her snake-like whip to keep Shadow's Phantoms at a distance. She wrapped one up with her whip, setting it on fire, just as Shadow moved behind her with his daggers.

Lilia couldn't help but admire how beautifully they moved. Every step was precise and had a purpose.

 I wish I could do that.

While she was distracted, Bryson took the opportunity to attack her with his medium, a sword hilt infused with an ice blade. Lilia scrambled away just as the sword cut into the floor, leaving ice crystals in its wake. Bryson pulled out the hilt, leaving the blade part still impeded. A new ice blade was instantly formed.

"That was close." Lilia breathed out with widened eyes.

Was he trying to trap me?

But she didn't have time to ponder further as Bryson continued to attack.

Lilia ducked and rolled, feeling the cold blade slicing above her head.

"Stay still, you little monkey!" Bryson sneered in frustration as he threw a water ball at her.

"No way!" Lilia barked back as she dodged again.

Bryson used his water magic with precise movements, but they were too perfect. She could see a pattern.

Being a Life Elemental meant her abilities were more intertwined with her body. Even though he was the better fighter, she was stronger and faster than him. All she had to do was bide her time and dodge until the right moment.

Bryson moved in for the attack as her back hit the wall. Lillia's head shifted to the side just as he embedded the blade into the wall, and ice began to spread, creeping up the wall and reaching out for Lilia. But Lilia bided her time and waited until Bryson released the hilt from the blade.

There! Lilia kicked off the wall and dropped to the floor, sweeping Bryson's feet from under him and forcing him to let go of his medium. A second later, Lilia's claws were on Bryson's throat.

Heather, Bryson and Lilia's referee yelled, "Lilia wins!"

Bryson scrambled away. "That's not true! She cheated. She had to." Trying to convince himself more than anyone else. "I want a second opinion."

Terran looked away from Shadow and Druid's match. "It looked fair to me," Terran said softly while Heather giggled and jumped up and down.

Excited, Lilia turned her back. My first win! She wanted to celebrate, but she stopped in shock as something cold pierced through her shoulder.

In the shoulder? Again? she thought with numbing calm.

She turned to see Bryson's gleeful smile. Before blacking out, Lilia saw Shadow behind Bryson, with his dagger raised….

***

Lilia came too, still feeling that numbness, hearing the beeping beside her bed. Ah, I got hurt. Her trembling fingers moved up to her shoulder, feeling a bandage instead.

Then she heard someone cough. Startled, Lilia looked around to find Druid and the others lying in beds beside hers. But wasn't I the only one injured? Then, the memory of Shadow behind Bryson came back to her. Maybe Bryson, but why…

"I hope you learned your lesson," a voice came out of nowhere. Lilia looked up to see the mean lady. No. Headmistress Weatherly, standing over them. She looked furious. "Like it or not, all of you share the same fate for the rest of your lives. You foolish kids, you nearly died. I will not stand by to see my investment going down the drain… not before I get my money's worth, at least." Headmistress Weatherly turned to leave. "Now, excuse me, I have a school to run." She left the room, furious steps echoing down the hallway.

Die? All of us will die if one of us dies. Is that what she's trying to say? Lilia's mind raced, but the Headmistress's words had nothing but the truth.

One of the white coats who came by her bedside interrupted her thoughts. "Your sister is waiting for you." Stella walked in with crutches and tears streaming down her face as her sister's small form curled into Lilia's side. Stella sobbed, "You almost died! I was so scared. Don't leave me!"

Lilia wrapped her uninjured hand around her sister's tiny body. "I won't."

***

Present Day

Lilia flopped onto the mat, exhausted. Her energy level was at an all-time low. "That was so close," she groaned. Lilia lost, but it was a good fight.

Druid was nearby, wiping her face with a towel. She studied Lilia thoughtfully. "You should have won," she said.

"No," Lilia denied. I just can't beat your foresight." It was hard to fight against someone who knew what would happen ten seconds in the future.

Druid just sighed, shaking her head. "Even with my foresight, you should have won." She paced a little before kneeling next to Lilia. "Honestly, fighting you was painful."

Lilia sat up abruptly. "What do you mean?"

"Your fighting skills and control over your speed and strength are superb. But your overall power is lacking." Druid's gentle voice spilled out.

"Were you testing me?" Lilia tensed up. "Was this Headmistress Weatherly's idea?"

"Partly," she admitted. You and the twins will be going on more dangerous missions, but the way you are now." Druid shook her head. "I'm afraid that you'll go and get yourself and us killed."

Lilia moved away, crossing her arms defensively. "Like you're perfect, don't you do your own thing despite the mission?" Lilia knew that statement was a low blow but was too angry to care.

"Yes, I do my own thing, and I have my own reasons for that," Druid said, looking annoyed. "But at least I am not deliberately handicapping myself. On the contrary, I use my abilities to the fullest no matter where they might lead me."

"I don't want to hear this anymore." Pissed off, Lilia got up to leave.

With a sigh, Druid called out after her. "Please go clean up and come back. Headmistress Weatherly is arriving soon." The door closed behind her. As Lilia leaned against it, she closed her eyes, but the door didn't prevent her from hearing Druid whisper, "That could have gone better."

Lilia's hands were shaking. Druid didn't know what she was talking about. She didn't realize it… but in the back of Lilia's mind, she felt Sil and Va on the tip of her fingernails. It would be so easy to call them back to absorb their energy. To become stronger.

Suddenly, Lilia closed her hands tightly. Tight enough for blood to drip from her palm. No! They deserve to be free. But another voice questioned. Is that how you feel, or is it your own fear that's stopping you?

Lilia was about to deny that thought, as well, when….

"The door," Shadow's voice interrupted.

Lilia looked up to find Shadow staring at her. There was something in his eyes that she couldn't read.

"What," Lilia asked frustratedly.

"The door, you're in the way."

It took Lilia a second to register. "Oh, yes." She stepped to the side, making room for him to brush past.

"Disappointing," Bryson whispered.

Lilia whipped her head around just as the door closed behind him.

2