The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 7
32 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Headmistress's Office

A plump, sturdy woman with greying dark hair and sharp but tired hazel eyes leaned into her chair, sipping a mug of coffee. Maria Weatherly, the Headmistress, had spent all night going through paperwork, and it was starting to get to her.

She glanced at the window, seeing the afternoon sun peeking through, and sighed. The last time she checked, it was pitch-black.

Maria softly placed her cup of coffee on her desk, rubbing her eyes behind her glasses.

That was when her assistant, Tina Andres, came in and silently poured Maria her seventh cup of coffee—no, was it her eighth cup?

It was another night looking through trade agreements, mission reports, discipline documents, obituaries, recruitment lists, accounts, etc. The paperwork was endless. Like other Compound Leaders and City Officials, I was dealing with headaches.

It was frustrating to the point of exhaustion.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

But something else was bothering her.

She pushed away from her desk vexingly to stare out the window.

"Major Hatten bragged that he would take over my Compound like a done deal. He even had the nerve to pump my kids for information." She gritted her teeth.

There were few registered compounds due to strict conditions. First, the area needed to be self-sustaining; second, it needed to house many people; and third, it had to have only a minimal amount of the Wasteland's influence.

Not a day went by when she wasn't fighting tooth and nail to keep Compound 8 under her control. That was why Maria made a point of acquiring a healthy amount of personal information to keep the vulture at bay.

Although some need more persuading than others.

"Isn't that what you want him to do?" Miss Andres's voice was beside her. Marie glanced sideways before turning back to the window, sipping her coffee.

Silent as always, hmm.

Marie had to smile at that. "Oh, yes. Drucilla can sweet-talk anyone for information, and Bryson has his ability." She smiled and turned into a frown. "I am more concerned about something else."

"Are you that worried about Major Hatten?" Miss Andres asked.

"About Major Hatten? No," she denied. "He can eat his pompous ass for all I care, but his backers are another story." She sighed, rubbing her forehead. "He's way too confident."

Men like Major Hatten were predictable. They overvalued their importance and thought they were above the law… especially if a woman was involved. But, on the other hand, Maria liked to be underestimated; it was more satisfying to see the shocked look on their faces as she brought them down.

A smile formed on Maria's lips, but then it slipped into a frown.

If only I were dealing with just Major Hatten.

"What I need is more information. But wait, there was something…." Maria moved back to her computer, opening her email. There, a party invitation from Major Hatten. Outpost 23, huh? I believe that's close by," Maria whispered. Outposts were smaller than Compounds and less protected, but they still had their uses, like a meeting place for neutral parties. "Doesn't he use that Outpost a lot?"

"Yes, especially of late, but I thought you decided to decline?" Miss Andres answered.

"The timing was too suspicious," she answered thoughtfully. "But we may not have a choice."

"Do you want me to contact Mr. Chesterfield?" Miss Andres asked. "And Bryson and Drucilla, of course."

Mr. Chesterfield, how she loathed that man. His cover was Bryson's and Drucilla's chaperone, but he was a government spy. His objective was to monitor the Lumeye teens. Still, if she wanted to be on the Cities' good side, Mr. Chesterfield's presence was necessary.  

At least for now.

"Yes, but I don't think they will be enough," Maria stated thoughtfully.

"You mean Shadow? I didn't think it would be that kind of mission."

"I want to cover all angles. That's why I am sending the younger ones as well." Marie watched the surprise cross on Miss Andres's face.

"They only have gone on in and out jobs. Do you think they're ready for such a task?" Miss Andres asked.

"Maybe, but my instincts are screaming that they are all needed. If not…" Marie shrugged her shoulders. "Let's pass the mission off as a team learning experience."

"Why risk it then?"

"Major Hatten threatened my kids; no one threatens what's mine and gets away with it." She clenched her teeth. Plus, his faceless backers are worrisome. I'd rather cut their heads off before they have a chance to cut off mine." Marie headed towards the door, Andres not far behind. Now, let's tell the kids the good news."

***

Headmistress Weatherly and her assistant, Miss Andres, entered the training arena. The six Lumeye instantly stood at attention with their eyes forward.

Although there was still some fidgeting, especially from the younger three.

"We have a mission to plan." The Headmistress paused, giving each of them a long look. Lilia swallowed her fear and knew she wasn't the only one. The woman was scary as heck. "And I'll need each of you to do your part."

Heather raised her hand. "Ma'am?"

"Yes, Heather," the Headmistress nodded her head.

"Does that mean we're all going on the mission?" Heather asked, hesitating a little.

"Yes, it does," the Headmistress answered.

Heather looked like she was about to burst out in excitement right on the spot.

"Heather," Terran whispered, giving her a sideways look and slowly shaking his head. "Not the time."

"Fine," Heather pouted but left it be.

The Headmistress's eye twitched, but thankfully, she let it slide.

Bryson took a step forward. "Ma'am, I must protest. They're not ready?" He protested.

The Headmistress turned abruptly and stepped in front of Bryson. "You're not the one to say if they're ready. Do you hear me, Bryson?"

He swallowed. "Yes, Ma'am." As he stepped back.

"Good." She stated. "Lilia?"

Lilia hesitated before saying. "Ma'am?"

"I want you to take a more leading role on this mission," The Headmistress ordered. "Plus, I have an idea that I need your participation in."

"Ma'am, I don't think…." Lilia choked on her words as the woman glared back at her. "Yes, Ma'am."

"Good." She stood once again in front of them. "Now, let's get to work."

"Yes, Ma'am." They shouted together.

Lilia was trying her hardest not to look at Bryson.

But Bryson's cold glare was all too telling.

1