The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 11
16 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lilia was creeped out. She would never get used to Shadow's shadow-walking ability. Everything was cold and grey. But the worst part was ghostly figures swirling around them. They seemed hungry.

When they arrived at the rendezvous point, a hill just kissing the edge of the Outpost property, Lilia fell on her knees in relief.

Heather snickered, and Lilia glared up at her. Which made Heather's snickers turn into giggles.

 "Here!" Ignoring their antics, Terran lifted a plank of wood and dropped down.

Lilia followed to discover that it wasn't a hill but a collapsed building; grass, moss, and even a few trees were growing out of it. Yet this room was cleared out, with an opening big enough to have a perfect view of the Outpost beyond.

Lilia was impressed. "This looks great."

Terran blushed. "Thanks, it took a lot of work to clear out."

Heather shoved his shoulder. "Hay, I was here too." Then Shadow dropped down as well, and Heather shivered. "And Shadow, too." She hurriedly added, glancing at Shadow.

Shadow stated, "Recon."

Lilia nodded. The three had been there surveying the area a week prior, just to be on the safe side. Lilia was working on her Telepathic Link at the time and couldn't help, but she heard that there wasn't much going on until recently.

After that, Heather and Terran were hard at work. Heather was setting up her sniper gun, and Terran made an emergency triage in case anyone might get hurt.

"Do you have eyes on the party?" asked Lilia after Heather was finished assembling the sniper…with no scope. Heather's eyes were a lot better than any scope could ever be.

Heather used her sniper as a guide. "Yes." Her voice was cold as if she were a different person. It was kind of unnerving how quickly she switched from being scattered-brained, free-loving Heather to detached, business-like Heather. "The big window at the front has a clear view of the party."

"Can you locate Bryson and Druid?"

Heather paused, then answered, "Yes."

Lilia's eyesight may not have been as good as Heather's. Still, hers was enhanced enough to see only a few guards at the exits and no patrols. She couldn't even see the dogs she saw earlier. And all she could hear was music coming from the party. Everything else was eerily quiet.

Plus, what she heard earlier from those guards. Nothing about this felt right. A trap, maybe? If so, who's to say whether it's for the invited or the uninvited guest,

Maybe both? Or none at all.

I might be paranoid, but my instincts are screaming at me that something is wrong.

Lilia sighed and contacted everyone through her telepathic link. "Listen up. I think Major Hatten is planning something…" she said, then explained her observations.

Bryson responded at once. "Then, we should leave."

But it wasn't Lilia, but Druid, who answered, "It's too late for that."

"What are we going to do?" Terran asked telepathically.

"Exactly as planned," she replied.

"But that's…!"

"Crazy," Lilia answered back. "Pretty much. But with Bryson and Druid already in the building, that's all we can do. For now." She paused. "If anyone has a better idea, I'm listening."

Shadow just stared. From Druid and Bryson, there was only silence. And twins shook their heads simultaneously.

Bryson replied. "While sticking to the plan is the best option, there is one little hitch. Are all of them inside the Outpost? If so, where?"

"The guards' rotation schedule is pretty much useless." Lilia agreed. She ruffled through the blueprints to confirm. The floors they needed to worry about were the first, where the party resided, and the second, where Major Hetton's office was supposed to be. There were supposed to be two people guarding the door and another two on each floor, but now…

Lilia could only sigh.

Shadow deadpanned, "That won't be a problem for me."

Bryson said, "Leaving a trail of bodies would be a bit much, don't you agree?"

Lilia needed to think of something. But before she could, something distracted her. Something familiar.

A cry from a bird of prey.

She was hoping not to see what she feared might be the case. Lilia looked toward the sound… and saw a falcon with silver wings. Sil? When did he...??

She felt a touch on the shoulder, and Lilia looked up to find Terran's brown eyes. "Lilia…" he whispered.

Lilia mustered a reassuring smile. "I'm fine, no worries." She mentally shook her head, leaving the matter of the falcon aside. No, I can't be distracted. I needed to focus on the problem at hand, not on a naughty bird who shouldn't be anywhere near here.

Still, Lilia thought that following the original plan was the only way. There was no time for anything else. But having so few guards outside the Outpost still bugged her. And where did all the dogs go? It would be too dangerous with no protection from the Wastelands unless…

"Traps!" Lilia said aloud. Then she flushed in embarrassment before telepathically, "That's why there are no patrols. They must have set up traps instead. If I…"

"Set off the trap deliberately?" questioned Heather. "Then, the guards will come looking."

"Exactly"

"That's insane!!!" she exclaimed with too much enthusiasm. "I like it."

Lilia winced. That was way too loud, but she continued. "I will set off the trap. And you...?" She glanced at the silent Shadow, his long dark hair and dark skin blending in with the night—all except for his light grey eyes. "You will get the evidence we need."

Shadow frowned. "I don't like how you're knowingly putting yourself in danger. Let me...."

Bryson interrupted, "And don't get me started on how many things could go wrong, not to mention the Headmistress…."

Lilia raised her voice. "It is the only thing we got. Plus, you are the best at stealth and the best chance to get to the evidence undetected."

"It'll be easier if I kill him rather than sneaking around like rats." Shadow's anger was apparent.

"If Headmistress Weatherly thinks that it's a better choice, then she would have arranged for his death long ago," she stated. "I will be fine, and if I am in trouble, I will just call."

Shadow's already grey eyes got even stormier. "You'd better, or I will tie you up, and you will never leave my sight again," he promised.

She couldn't help but shudder. There was nothing but conviction in Shadow's voice.

2