The Shadowed Trees: Chapter 20
17 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I always liked characters who had a lot of growing to do.

Greenhouse Rooftop

Lilia sat, dangling her feet over the roof's edge, and looked out into the night sky. She couldn't help but sigh. Lilia was beyond exhausted, but she just couldn't sleep. Lilia's mind was whirling non-stop.

"She changed so much," Lilia whispered.

It wasn't just Rachel, either. Her Mediums were back, and Lilia could feel them close by. "Can you hear me?" Lilia kept calling out to them, but all she got was snickering. "Okay, fine, don't answer." Lilia gave up.

"Are you going to jump?" A voice came out of nowhere.

What the heck? Nearly making her jump off the roof.

Laughter filled the air. "Oh, did I startle you? How refreshing."

"Druid, what are you doing here?" Lila was a little upset—not about Druid appearing out of nowhere but that she should have noticed earlier. She knew the greenhouse behind her had her nose stuffed up, but Lilia could hear just fine despite the Wasteland's faint humming.

I must be more tired than I thought.

Druid sat beside Lilia, Moving Lilia's flute case to make room. "Are you going to play anytime soon? It'll be nice to hear your music at least once."

"Druid." Lilia sighed.

"Okay, okay." Druid held up her hands in surrender. "I came to apologize for what Bryson did earlier."

Lilia leaned back a little. "You know it doesn't matter unless he apologizes," she said.

"True, but I feel somewhat responsible."

"You shouldn't," Lilia denied. "Bryson would make any excuse to tear me down."

There was a long silence. Then Druid suddenly bumped Lilia's shoulder. "You know, watching you and Bryson is like watching two wolves fighting for dominance."

Lilia gave her a skeptical look. "I am not dominant whatsoever. My work ethics are crap."

"You like to hide it, but yes, you are," Druid said. "As soon as you realize you are better leaders together than apart, everyone will be happier."

Lilia almost broke out in laughter at the ridiculousness. Her, a leader? No way. The mission earlier should be a perfect example of why she shouldn't be in charge of anything. "Even if that was true, I'm not the one you need to tell this to."

Druid looked at Lilia knowingly. "Believe me, I have. Bryson gave me the same look you're giving me right now."

Nodding absently, looking down at the ground. "You know, about Rachel."

"I wouldn't have saved her if it wasn't in my vision," Druid stated. Lilia knew Druid wasn't lying; Druid was friendly, at least to Lilia, but she was all about protecting the Link.

"I know; I just wanted to say thanks." Lilia looked up into Druid's eyes. "No matter what your reasons are." In her weakened state, Lilia couldn't save Rachel. If she had tried, they both would have been dead.

And Lilia knew that she would have tried.

"When I was a child, I lived an existence without hope. Every day was a struggle for survival. When my foresight kicked in, I thought they were just odd dreams. Then things began to come true." Druid's expression became sad. "Little things at first. Then a big one came. It was a scene that should have been terrifying. Instead, I relished it, hoping that it would come true." She paused.

"So, what changed?" Lilia prompt.

Her green eyes filled with overwhelming guilt. "It came true, and then I lost something precious. Something I didn't know I had until I lost it."

Lilia didn't know what to say.

Psychic abilities tended to manifest much earlier than the rest of their abilities, like a warning sign for more to come. At least that was true for Lilia, and it appeared that it was also true for Druid.

It brought back memories that Lilia wished like hell never existed in the first place.

***

Six Years Ago

Lilia's head hurt. Her whole body ached, but the headache bothered her the most, especially with all the annoying adults swarming around her like fireflies to light. Lilia didn't know what fireflies were, but she remembered seeing them in a book her mom had read her years ago.

Mom. Lilia wanted her mom, but she knew she had to be patient. The babysitter still hadn't arrived, and her mom could not leave Stella home alone with an ear infection.

Please come quickly, she begged. She rubbed the calluses on her fingertips, trying desperately to concentrate on that instead of the headache.

Despite everything, Lilia wanted to go on stage. She'd worked so hard for it. But she wished her mom was here instead of these hovering adults, especially that man, her manager.

The agency had assigned him to her, but Lilia didn't like him, and neither did her mom. She wanted someone else, but no one was available.

Mom said that he was too charming to be trusted. Lilia didn't know what that meant. All she knew was that he had that same empty smile every time she saw him. It was creepy.

Now, he was right in front of her. She wouldn't dare look at him. He seemed harmless and caring, but there was something else…. If she focused on him, something came back at her… thoughts, only it wasn't hers.

"Money. This brat will make me rich. That bitch of a mother thinks she's so smart. As soon as I get rid of her, this brat will be mine…."

No! Lilia turned away, pulling away from the mean man. He wanted to hurt Mom! But, no, that couldn't be real. Not real! Not real!

Lilia wanted her flute; she needed it. Mom told her to leave it at home to keep the flute safe, but she needed it to make the flutters disappear. All she had was the empty case, and Lilia clutched it tightly to her chest…

She was relieved when they called her on stage—anything to run away.

She smoothed out her dress, chin up, and Walked with graceful confidence, just like the agency taught her. Lilia focused only on the piano but managed to curtsy to the audience before sitting down. She'd practiced for hours doing just that, but she still felt nervous.

However, all that nervousness went away as she began to play. It was heaven… until it wasn't. Voices, so many voices—screaming, crying, yelling—crowded in her head. There was no stopping them.

"Stop!" Lilia screamed out. "Please stop! Make it stop!"

Everything became quiet.

Lilia opened her eyes and gasped.

The audience, the people backstage, and her manager were all staring sightlessly straight ahead, not moving, just staring. This couldn't be real.

Panic tightened her throat. Was this her fault?

No, no, no! This isn't possible. Make it go away. Mom, please make it go away.

She shut her eyes tightly, not opening them again until she felt familiar arms surround her. She buried herself deeper.

Mom. Lilia was so relieved. Finally.

"I'm so sorry," Lilia repeated in a voice strained with tears.

Her mom said, "It's okay; everything will be okay." She sounded so far away, but Lilia only cared about Mom's arms rocking her back and forth.

***

Present

At the time, she didn't know what was happening. All Lilia knew was devastation and agony. The only thing she could do was hide from everything and everyone. It was the only way for her to breathe normally again.

Druid's face lightened up with a smile. "Here, I finally found a place to call home with the people I can't live without. And because of that, I decided to trust my foresight no matter what."

How admirable. Instead of running away, as Lilia had, Druid faced it head-on. Lilia wished she were that brave.

Druid got up and stretched. "It's time for me to leave."

"Are you Going so soon? Stay any longer, and we could watch the sunrise together." He waved toward the horizon.

"No offence, but I'd rather watch the sunrise with my boyfriend, although you are a close second." Druid winked at Lilia.

"It's Nice to know I am still on the list and so high up, too," Lilia teased.

"Always, Sweety. Always." Waving goodbye, Druid turned to leave, but she stopped, taping her cheek thoughtfully. "Oh, forgot about something."

"Is this about Bryson again?"

"Ha, Ha, no. This is about Shadow."

"What about Shadow?" Lilia asked cautiously.

"Have you noticed how we paired up? You know, me with Bryson and Terran with Heather."

Lilia was confused. "Are you saying that I have to date Shadow? You know I am not attracted to guys, right?"

Druid laughed. "No, No. Everyone knows that. Heather and Terran are twins, so that is kind of ich." Druid shuddered a little at the thought. "I meant that you need to find a balance with your opposite element like the rest of us."

"I don't know how." Lilia sighed. What Druid said made sense, but still…

Druid looked at her sternly. "You better figure it out. Shadow's struggling, and you're not doing so hot yourself."

"I know what you're saying, and I'll keep that in mind." Druid just stared. "Okay, okay, I try."

"Good, that's all I ask." Druid nodded. "So good night, Lilia." Druid blew her an air kiss before disappearing down the stairs.

"Good night."

Alone again, Lilia flopped down onto the roof, using her case as a headrest, and allowed the Wastelands to sing her to sleep.

4