Rippled Mirage: Epilogue
13 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile

Deakin was running. Everything went so wrong so fast. The Zombies are running amok, and he lost control of his base. His experiment, his dream of spearheading humanity's evolution, turned everything into dust right before him. All because of those damn Lumeye.

"I shouldn't have trusted those bastards," Deakin sneered.

No matter. This was just a setback—nothing a little money couldn't solve. And this time, those Lumeye bastards won't interfere—not this time.

"Rylan."

Startled, Deakin turned around to find his brother stumbling toward him. "Randy, how did you…. Never mind, come on, we're almost to  the jeep." When Randell came closer, Deakin could see how clawed up he looked. Randell collapsed in Deakin's arms. Right away, he wanted to drop him. But Randall knew better than to make a mess everywhere.

Deakin looked down at his brother in distaste. He's dead weight.

He attempted to push Randell away. "Rylan, listen." But Randell desperately clutched on Rylan's clothes. "it's about Rachel."

"Who?"

"Rachel Lui. My fiancé. She was affected by the artificial Vine." Randell reminded.

"So what."

"She survived."

"What, that's…. that's…." If what his brother was saying was true, then his experiment worked—it finally worked! Now all he had to do was….No, he needed Rachel, his life's work. He couldn't throw that away." I have to go back," he whispered.

Then Deakin felt a sharp pain. He looked down to see a knife sticking out of his chest by his now gleeful brother. "What are you…." Deakin fell to his knees.

 Randell disappeared, but the wound remained.

"How sad." Vance appeared out of nowhere.

"Why…" Deakin coughed up blood.

I can't let him win! His hand instantly went to the button and pressed it.  

But Vance merely smiled as if nothing had happened.

Deakin slumps in defeat. "Now, with that out of the way. You shouldn't be surprised, right? That My Lord wanted you dead. Not being able to secure that little girl was the last straw. How will we get Dr. Spencer to do what we want now?"

Deakin's eyes widened. "You…" set me up.

"And losing Dr. Ramerez, and were gracious enough to let you borrow her." Vance tsched. "A heavy loss indeed." He leaned forward and whispered. "So why don't you die for him."

Deakin fell heavily, lying dead at Vance's feet.

"We're nearly finished," Talon stated, appearing out of thin air. "Levy is just finishing up with the Zombies."

"Good." Vance straightened. "Tell Sonia to set the charges as soon as everyone is cleared. We are long overdue to leave."

"Roger," Talan stated. "Vance?"

"Yes?"

"Why aren't we going after those kids? It wouldn't take much," Talon asked, then she licked her lips. "I want to go pay that Fire girl a visit."

"Like I said, we overstayed our welcome," Vance stated, and a screeching sound echoed. "Since that Protector's arrival, our time was limited." He sighed. It was so tiring cleaning up Deakin's mess."

"Yes, Sir."

"Besides, they're certainly not going anywhere. And if those kids do something a little… unexpected." Vance turned and eyed Talon. "Isn't that why we recruited that boy of yours?"

Talon laughed, and a second later, she was gone, Leaving Vance alone with the body. Vance stared at it in distaste. Then he scoffed, "Such a waste," And walked away.

I hope you enjoy the second book's ending. That's the end of my edits. I want to write a short story about Kay and Jule's adventure in the Ruined City.

Then, the start of the third and final book.

1