Chapter 33 – Slow Poke
95 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Currently up to chapter 43 on patreon, and updated weekly. Will be updated here monthly.

"How many enemies?" She asked quietly as they slowly walked down the stairs.

"Only one." He said.

"Fuck. A boss." She growled and held her sword at the ready.

"No, a guardian." Baris said as they got to the bottom. In the middle of the floor was a lone black clothed person, but Baris could easily see his stats.

"So you are a part of the group who have been causing havoc in my dungeon. No matter. The core can create more monsters. It will just take time." He pulled his sword, which only made Baris grin. "A level fifteen thinks he can best me?" The man sneered.

"A lowly elf at level twenty four as a companion." The disdain was obvious on the man's face. "Such beasts will be cleansed." Baris put his hand on Alea's arm.

"Don't. He's a level fifty assassin. You're not his match." Baris said firmly. "Get ready, Alea. When I destroy that crystal, this place will start to go down."

"Destroy?" The man sneered again. "I don't think you know who you're up against! Elf lov----hurk!" He grasped his throat after Baris flew passed him so quickly, he was barely able to follow him with his eyes.

"A hammer that hits with the speed I can go at, even for short bursts like that, will destroy whatever defensive properties you think your level affords you." Baris turned and walked back as the man tried to get air into his lungs through his crushed throat.

"So hard to use magic when you can't speak, isn't it?" Baris grasped the man's head and started to close his fingers. "Going against Nuella was your first mistake. You don't get to know what your second one was."

Baris took a step back, aimed his hammer, and looked at Alea. She nodded and turned to run. She heard the sound of glass breaking, and felt the pressure push her while she ran up the stairs.

"Slow poke!"

 

* * *

 

"I didn't think it would collapse so quickly, or that you would move like that." Alea said as she panted and held herself up with the wall. Baris grinned.

"Does it matter? You need to learn to just run all out. I thought elves were full of passion! You were no where near your top speed as I was only running at normal speed and I have shorter legs!" Baris looked back at the collapsing rooms and stairs. He moved away from the door.

"I thought it would only go to the hall." She said and frowned.

"Are you so hungry and tired, you've gone dumb? A tunnel is collapsing. Is it possible that this will weaken? Will the stone fly out of the tunnel and hit you like an arrow? Have you seen a dungeon collapse before?" He rolled his eyes.

"Get ready, elf. Just in case."

She took several deep breaths, and moved away from the hall. After a few more minutes, the rumbles stopped right at the end of the fifth floor.

"So this dungeon area is stable. Good." Baris looked around. "Let's walk up, scan for hostiles, and go to the first floor. We'll sleep and rest, and head out." She sighed.

"You're just as mean as my sister." She pouted a bit.

"Your sister is like this? Well, that's a good thing then. Her younger sister hasn't grown up yet, and needs to get someone to ride her ass until she wakes up." Alea rolled her eyes.

"Come on! Stop cursing me like that!" They continued up the stairs. "Did you get any points for killing him?" She asked.

"No. There is no XP for sentient beings, even evil ones like him. I did get my healing magic, the cure spell, strengthened so that it doesn't need to be cast twice to cure poison like that." Baris examined the stone of the corridors of the dungeon.

"You also got this dungeon to use as a place to stay in the winter." Baris turned towards her in surprise.

"I didn't think you could read me that easily." He said quietly.

"It's not hard. You need a place, and you want to restore the grove. This is perfect for you. It may not work long term, but in the short term, it would put you within reach of both towns. You'll be able to trade with both when they are cleaned out, and help to restore balance to the area." She smiled. "I think Nuella would agree that this is a good solution to the area's problem."

"We'll see, Alea. Come on. We need some rest. Remember. When you get back to Noobville, I need supplies, and a bit of aid. I'm not sure how many are out here, but it's bound to be a lot." Baris laid down on the bear fur he recently acquired, while Alea laid beside him.

"Baris?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you. We would have had to evacuate the two towns as these dungeons went into stampede mode. I don't know if I could have convinced my mare to leave." Alea said quietly.

"Don't mention it. I did it for my own reasons, as did you. Leave it at that." She felt him reach out and tap her arm. "Just make sure that you do what you can, while you can. That's all anyone can do, Alea."

"And get me food when you get back! I'm gonna starve if I have to battle like this again, and have to feed a growing elf companion again." She giggled, and sighed.

"Some day, I'll introduce you to my mare, Baris. She might know a few lonely mares that would like the company of a strong warrior like you."

"Go to sleep, Alea. There are more monsters ahead."

 

* * *

 

"Far too many. How will he kill so many monsters?" Nuella asked herself and once again, she felt the presence of her sister, Lilith.

'It's not that hard, Nu. He has the skills, and the speed, something I activated when he reached level ten. He should be able to do enough damage to disrupt the horde.' The soft voice spoke at her ear.

'Lily, did you leave your tongue behind again?' Nuella asked and felt it slither deeper into her ear, and up inside her mind.

'Just a piece, Nu. I've missed you so much lately, but these humans have made me quite busy.' She whispered.

'Don't they worship war?' She asked, and felt a tickle to her ear.

'Don't be mean, Nu. They worship coin, not battle. But this new guy of yours, he is much to my liking. Straight forward, forceful, and acts quickly. He doesn't allow his enemy to gain an advantage through speech, nor does he respond to taunts. He's quite the monster, little sister.' Lilith said softly, and before the energy of her tongue disappeared, she lightly licked the inside of her sister's brain.

'You always know which memories to spur on. Don't worry, Lily. This curse only makes the small details turn fuzzy. Important ones, like Baris and overall balance, are still there. When will you visit again, Lily? I miss you.' She heard a gentle laugh within her mind as her sister's voice disappeared.

Nuella pouted a bit. The answer was a simple one. Her sister was the epitome of chaos, and the harbinger of death. She was beautiful, and unpredictable. She would show up when she felt like it, and not before.

Nuella missed her sister a lot.

 

3