Chapter 7: Vow to the Imprisoned
251 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Read chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 
Content Warning

Spoiler

Conversations about abuse and mind alteration.

[collapse]

Saya sat there, nursing her weeping eyes, tears continuing to drip from her weary eyes as her promise rang through her head. She promised to kill her, her own sister, to kill Elise. She did not want to believe it. She refused to entertain the idea that it would come to that… but she promised. The mere notion haunted her. How could she promise such a thing? Why did their… why did that man… why did Zerto do this to them? It made no sense. How could someone do something so cruel to someone they were supposed to care for.

She began to whimper again, the tears returning again as her body heaved in agony. This anguish, this pain, it was not fair. Who could cause such pain, and why would they do it? It was inconceivable, incomprehensible, and deeply upsetting.

She remembered her eyes. Those soft, gentle, caring eyes. The eyes of a loving sister trapped and hidden away. She could tell from how she moved in the end. The quiet soft movements and the clear discomfort she displayed. She could also see the weariness and exhaustion on her face. It was clear. All she wanted was to be herself and to be loved. But that man, he would not let her go, he would not stop causing her pain. Her sweet kind sister was suffering so much all because of him. The tears returned in an instant of such thoughts.

“Elise,” she sobbed.

“Saya,” Aria massaged her back.

“I can’t believe it,” Lillia grimaced as she cradled Iris who cried into her chest. “All this time… he…” she shook her head. “Our eldest sister, she’s…”

“Those bastards,” Nerivi slammed her fist on a nearby table. “They have the gall to preach of the will of god and protecting the downtrodden while committing such harm!?”

“Just when I think they can’t harm us anymore,” Honey whimpered, huddled in the corner.

Aria sighed. “What do we do now?” she stroked Saya’s hair. “If we can’t help her…”

“I will not give up on her,” Saya furiously shook her head.

“I know,” Aria held her. “I know.”

Nerivi took a deep breath. “And yet, Aria’s right,” the other’s looked to her. “We can’t help her now.”

“But…” Lillia tried to protest.

“We can’t help her now,” Nerivi repeated then taking a deep breath. “However, that doesn’t mean we have to give up. It simply means we need to reassess our situation.”

“Yeah,” Aria nodded. “Saya,” Aria pulled her up, “we can’t give up, but we need to be willing to recognize what we can and can’t do, right Lady Nerivi?” Aria grinned.

“Exactly,” Nerivi nodded. “We don’t know enough about Elise’s situation. I suggest we figure out a way to learn more about her and her circumstances.”

“B-but where would we even begin with that?” Iris sniffled.

“Knowing the church, they wouldn’t let Elise spread that information easily herself,” Honey lamented. “They would rather keep their followers loyal and ignorant,” she wiped her tears away once more.

“And it’s not like we can ask the priests and priestesses about it,” Aria grit her teeth. “Heck I’d bet that most of them are ignorant too, and the ones that do wouldn’t be willing to tell us.”

“A priestess,” Lillia repeated.

“Sister?” Saya looked to her.

“I… I remember something Penelope said,” Lillia began to consider. “When we talked about sister, she would hesitate at times,” the others looked at her intently. “I think I also heard her wonder if we were similar about something too,” she continued. “I think… I think Penelope may know about sister and who she really is.”

* * *

“Are you sure she’ll be here?” Iris asked as she carefully eyed the hallway around them.

“Lillia made it sound like that she regularly worked here,” Nerivi explained.

“I… I see,” Iris quietly nodded. She did her best to try slowing her breath with deep inhales, only to find herself fighting against her rapid instincts.

A familiarly soft hand gripped the small woman’s hand, relaxing her slightly. “It’ll be okay,” Honey reassured her. “I can’t say for certain that she’ll be welcoming of us, but if Saya’s faith in her is anything to go by, then I think we’ll be okay,” she said as her thumb circled around the back of Iris’s hand, easing the girl into calm.

“Yeah, and I doubt she would start anything in the library,” Nerivi gave a confident smile. “And should it come to it, I’ll protect you, Princess.” Iris stumbled at the utterance. “Is something wrong, Iris?”

“I…” she blushed. “You called me ‘Princess,’” she nervously chuckled as a blush took root on her face.

“Well of course,” Nerivi chuckled confidently. “Regardless of circumstances, you are a princess by birth, and it is only proper to use that title, Princess,” she said it with intent.

“You’re just trying to fluster me, aren’t you,” Iris pouted, her cheeks a vivid red.

“I would never do that to a fellow princess,” Nerivi laughed, Iris inflating her cheeks in protest, Honey only quietly giggling at their antics.

“I’m not really confident that I’m princess material,” Iris protested. She then slowly curled her lips into a smile. “Although, I do appreciate the sentiment,” she smiled serenely. “I never got to be a princess before. I was too busy being used as a tool for father to keep the different lords appeased and performing experiments,” she frowned.

“You say that,” Nerivi chuckled. “But that frown matches my sister’s in terms of charm and sincerity. If you ask me, you’re perfectly suited to be a princess. Perhaps even to be a queen.

“A queen?” Iris repeated. “I’m not so certain.”

“Not so certain of what?” another voice interrupted. A blonde braid swayed into view as a charming maiden looked out into the hallway. She initially looked out curiously, her eyes growing wide as she looked at Honey and Nerivi. “It’s…”

“It’s good to meet you again, lady Penelope,” Nerivi bowed.

“I-it’s good to see you again too,” Penelope returned the gesture. “I’m sorry everything went poorly with Lillia and the others,” she apologized. “But…”

“Penelope,” Honey gave her an intense look. The priestess sighed.

“I know,” Penelope nodded. “The truth is I’ve been waiting for you,” she gave a small smile. “Please, if you would all follow me. I’d prefer if we discussed all of this somewhere more private.”

The three followed her, departing returning the way they came, and exiting the library. As they descended the steps, she turned to them. “Where are the others now?”

“They were waiting out here,” Nerivi explained, waving towards a group of robed women.

“They’ve had to lay low,” Iris said plainly, passing a frustrated look to a frowning Penelope as the three approached.

“I know,” Penelope looked to the three, seeing the faces of those she left before, Aria, Lillia, and Saya, hidden beneath the cowls. “I’m sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused all of you.” Lillie began to open her mouth to say something. “Please hold on a little while longer,” she gave another soft smile. “Just wait until we get somewhere a little safer. Now please, follow me,” she directed them, leading them down the long street.

Minutes began to pass as they wandered farther and farther away from the library behind them, the crowds around them diminishing in size. She turned down another smaller street, guiding them through the quiet residences until they came to a canal that cut through the city. She took a right, raveling alongside it, and towards the massive city wall before them as the crowds quieted to nothingness. She turned into an alleyway, leading them through a lengthy mazelike path that began to crawl along the wall itself, finally coming to a gate that looked out to the canal once more.

Penelope pulled out a small key and inserted it into a nearby door, unlocking it and leading them inside. “If I may suggest, ladies Aria and Nerivi, would you mind keeping watch outside? I don’t believe we were followed, but I would rather be safe than sorry.” The knightess and knightly princess looked to each other then back to her, giving a firm nod before returning outside, closing the door behind them.

Penelope showed them the remaining four to a table, the three sisters and their aunt sharing a nod with each other as they sat down. “I’m sorry for all the hassle,” Penelope said as she set a collection of mugs upon the table. “It’s not much, but here’s some water.”

“Thank you,” Saya thanked as the others likewise accepted the drinks, but hesitating to take a sip. She passed a quick pleading look to Honey, who sighed.

“Well then, shall we get started?” Honey mustered a cheery smile as the others nodded in agreement.

“Before we start,” Penelope trembled slightly, “I have an important question I want to ask you first.”

“What is it?” Honey asked.

“All of you. You’re all witches, right?” she asked, their eyes widening with shock. “I knew it. The look on your faces says it all.”

“That’s enough,” Lillia gripped her hand. “All this time you’ve been stringing us along. Ever since we met in the library. First you provide convenient information, then an invitation to the Cathedral where we get hunted, and now you ask us if we’re witches!? I am through being toyed around by you. Who are you? What do you want with us!? And why did you ask that!?” she glared at the shaken priestess.

“Lillia,” Iris and Saya yelped in shock.

“I’m sorry. I… I’ve been trying to be careful is all. Their eyes are everywhere,” Penelope sighed. “But to answer your one question, I asked because she told me about you,” she frowned.

“She?” Lillia repeated. “Meaning?”

“Your sister,” she answered, Lillia’s face softening from surprise. “I met with her last night, after everything happened. She told me that she met one of her sisters last night. It didn’t take much for me to figure out what she meant,” she gave a somber chuckle.

“You mean… you know about Elise?” Saya asked.

“I do,” she nodded. “Outside of the higher levels of the church, we’re the only ones who know about her… about Elise. Reginald and I that is. We’re all she has here. The only people she can count on. But… But we…” her voice fell into a frail tone. “We have to act like she doesn’t exist, pretending she’s someone she’s not. Treating her like someone she’s not. But we know,” she trembled. We know who she really is. What she really is. We’re the only ones she can still rely on,” she whimpered. “Not that it amounts to much. All we can ever do is give her some meager support."

“But then, how did you…” Honey began to ask.

“Elise has told me about witch blood before, and once I figured out Lillia’s relation to her, it didn’t take much to figure it out,” Penelope confessed. “When I realized that I wanted to try to find someway to talk to you all, to try and work with you. Because Elise…” her voice fell into silence.

“If it’s not asking too much,” Iris looked to her. “Please, tell us what happened to her.”

“Yeah, that might be the best place to start,” Penelope nodded, wiping some tears away, sniffling a little. “As you probably know, Elise was brought here a number of years ago. She was still rather young back then. Her father… your father, he… he brought her here to stop her awakening. I don’t know the details, but they tried several times, but each failed for one reason or another. That is, until they figured out the reason.”

“The reason?” Lillia repeated.

“The Great Priestess, your mother,” she sighed. “There was something about their proximity to each other that seemed to eat away at their seals. I don’t really understand it either. Elise thinks it may be because she started to awaken, combined with her mother’s attempts to undermine their seals. Whatever the reason though, the church’s objective became clear. They needed to watch over both of them, and they couldn’t be kept together, so your mother was ordered to stay in Luxur or go wherever they needed her while Elise was trapped here where they could adjust the seal upon her as they saw fit,” she said dourly.

“Goddess,” Saya’s voice trembled. “I can only imagine how she must have felt.”

“It hasn’t been enjoyable to watch, that’s for sure,” Penelope gripped her arm. “Elise… she’s been through so much. The harm it’s all done to her… she tries to hide it, tries to live beyond it, but I can tell that its left deep wounds on her. More than she would ever admit. She’s always in so much pain. And it only gets worse when the church orders her to do things she doesn’t want to do. She loses all control of herself, only able to cry to us when she’s finished whatever horrid tasks they foist upon her,” tears began to stream down her face. “It’s not fair.”

“Penelope,” Lillia looked to her. “You really care for her, don’t you?” Penelope nodded.

“I can’t take it,” she whimpered. “Watching her suffer like this. But there’s nothing I can do. She needs help, and I can’t give it to her,” she sniffled, looking up to them. “But maybe… maybe you can. You’re witches, right? Maybe you can help her. Please, you have to,” she looked at them with pleading eyes.

“Of course, we want to help,” Saya answered. “Iris and I,” she looked to Iris, her lavender eyes shaking with pain, “we both know how much it hurts to be sealed away. But, Elise, her situation is different than ours was. The seal on her is stronger than the one sealing Xenia or Iris. Her blood will not even respond to our names, and I do not know how to help her,” she frowned.

“Aunt Honey has been trying to figure something out the past few days,” Iris’s gaze turned toward Honey, “but even she’s out of her depth here.”

“Then, are you saying it’s hopeless?” Penelope’s voice shook.

Honey sighed. “Not necessarily. But like Iri said, I’m out of my depth and element here. Phory might’ve had a way, but I’m not as good at breaking seals. However, there should be a spell to help her, but it’s not something I know how to do. The spell I know of was one that only the most powerful witches were capable of learning.”

“A powerful…” Penelope’s eyes began to brighten. “That’s it.”

“What’s it?” Lillia tilted her head.

“There are rumors of a very powerful witch who lives to the North of here,” Penelope answered.

“A witch? So close to the church?” Iris repeated. “Could that be true?”

“Yes,” Penelope nodded. “Apparently, she appeared there after the Kingdom of Ethnerta fell. She makes trouble for the church from time to time, and her illusions are so strong that even the most capable paladins can’t find where she actually lives.”

“Could that be true?” Saya asked.

“There were several powerful witches who escaped Ethnerta,” Honey nodded. “Several of them could know the spell we need. And if she’s as powerful as Penelope suggests, then she may indeed be the one we need.”

“Then do we all leave to search for her?” Saya asked.

“No, I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Iris shook her head. “If we do that, then we would lose track of both Elise and Mom. Plus, we still need to learn about what the church is doing with the demons.”

“Demons?” Penelope blinked.

“It’s a long story,” Lillia sighed, “but Iris is right, we still have so much we need to do here.”

“Then how about Aria and I go?” Saya suggested.

“Saya?” Iris frowned. “But…”

“Penelope,” Saya looked to the priestess, “does the church know about me being a witch?”

Penelope frowned. “They don’t share information like that with us, but Elise seemed to believe as much when I spoke to her. It seems the information from when you were at the Cathedral was rather unclear, even among the higher ups.”

“Then it will only be a matter of time before the church figures out that I am a witch and begins hunting me,” Saya hypothesized. “Which may mean that I may be in danger by staying here as it is, so if we were to send anyone, I would make the most sense. And I could take Aria as well since she may be a suspect too.”

“But they may suspect me too,” Lillia protested. “By that logic I should leave too.”

“But you still know more about this place than the rest of us,” Saya countered. “And unlike me, you are not a witch, and you have not used my mana like Aria has. You are the most likely avoid suspicions, especially with your status. Besides, a witch would be needed to accomplish this anyway, and Aria will be more than enough to protect me.”

“I guess,” Lillia frowned.

“Are you certain about this?” Honey asked. “We don’t know what risks may await you out there.”

“I am,” Saya nodded. “I want to help Elise, and if this is the only way, then I am more than willing to chase it.”

“Oh, Saya,” Lillia smiled.

“I don’t know what to say,” Penelope shivered a little before smiling, “other than, thank you. She’s lucky to have a sister like you.”

* * *

“Remember, stick to the Northern Road, and you’ll eventually arrive in the town of Remnis,” Penelope handed a rolled up map to Aria. “It may take you a few days by foot, but the journey shouldn’t be too bad. All the other information I have been able to gather is in the notes inside the map.”

“Understood,” Aria nodded. “This should be enough to get us by.”

“I’m sorry for wrapping you up in this as well,” Penelope frowned.

“Don’t be,” Nerivi chuckled. “Aria wouldn’t just leave Saya to go alone. That’s why she was with her at the Cathedral after all.”

“Nerivi,” Aria pouted as Nerivi laughed.

“Isn’t that right Saya?” Nerivi grinned.

“Yeah,” Saya proudly nodded.

“Stay safe out there,” Lillia hugged her sister, Iris quickly following suit.

“I’m going to miss you,” Iris whined.

“I will not be gone long, I promise sister,” she patted Iris’s head.

“Good luck out there you two,” Honey pulled Aria into the group hug. “We’ll be waiting for you to come back to us soon.”

“I hate to rush you two,” Nerivi said, putting her hands on Iris and Lillia’s shoulders, as she looked to the journey bound couple, “but you should get going now before it gets too bright out. You don’t want to be found out by the city watch.”

“She’s right,” Aria nodded. “Farewell, all of you.”

“We will return soon. With the power to save Elise,” Saya smiled at Penelope, who grinned in return, wiping a tear from her eye. “Let us be off now, Aria,” the two shared a nod as they departed, the others waving them goodbye.

As the pair began to head for the city gates, a somber individual looked upon them from a far. “Sister,” the woman’s deep voice trembled. “Be careful out there, Saya. Good luck, I’m counting on you,” she quietly smiled as she quietly gripped her wrist, finally seeing a glimmer of hope.

As small note for next time, the story will be changing up a bit from here, with the next chapter being an interlude about other characters from the previous books. Hope you all enjoy it when it drops!

Read chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

18