Chapter 8: Enclave of the Witch
330 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
We resume with our lovely couple as they arrive at a new quiet town.
 
Read chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

“Finally,” Aria stretched, as the forest’s edge came into view. Their travels had kept them beneath the dim trees for quite a while, acting as a final barrier before their destination, the village of Remnis. “It looks like we’re finally here,” she grinned as she looked upon the bright field beyond the trees.

“Thank goodness,” Saya sighed. “We are nearly there then.”

“You really aren’t too good with traveling by foot anymore, are you?” Aria chuckled.

“Anymore?” Saya looked at her uncertainly.

“You used to do a lot of walking and marching back when…” Aria stopped herself. “I guess your awakening got rid of that too, huh,” she scratched the back of her head.

“Oh yes,” Saya nodded. “Back when I was with the knights,” she said sullenly. “I have put all of my old training so far out of my mind that I forget I ever did any of it sometimes,” she gave a quiet chuckle. “Regardless, I do not believe that the spell of awakening sapped my stamina so much as I simply have not had a reason to travel like this since then. After awakening, I spent most of my time traveling by carriage or living with Aunt Phora and Honey, so I think I simply softened over that time.”

“Y-yeah, that would make sense,” Aria nodded.

“Is something the matter?” Saya looked to her, giving her a soft frown.

“Nothing, Princess,” Aria shook her head. “Let’s continue,” she pushed on, leaving a befuddled Saya to follow behind her. She balled her hand into a fist. “Why do I keep doing this?” she whispered.

“Aria?” Saya attempted to reach out as her beloved stop immediately before her. “What is…”

“What is that?” Aria interrupted her princess, prompting her to look up past the edge of the forested path. Before them was a simple and quiet village, just as they expected to find, coming as no surprise, they had heard Remnis described as such. However, what did surprise them was an elaborate dark spire emerging from a small woodland behind the town.

“What a peculiar object?” Saya gazed upon it. “That delicate sheen, it is similar to the durable glass that Mable uses for her experiments, only it is more… opaque,” she thought allowed.

“It almost reminds me of a church steeple,” Aria considered. “But, at the same time, it feels like it almost seeks to defy them. I mean I’ve never seen a steeple that dark, nor with such a… spikiness to it,” she looked intently at the spiky clusters lining the spire’s edges.

“It almost reminds me of some villainous lair from some of the stories back home,” Saya giggled.
“Although, it does not seem quite as menacing as such stories make them sound.”

“You don’t think the witch lives there, do you?”

“I doubt it,” Saya answered. “It may be in defiance to common sensibilities, but I doubt a witch like the one we seek would choose such an obvious home.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Aria chuckled. “Still though, I wonder what it is.”

“Maybe some of the townsfolk will be able to enlighten us,” Saya chirped.

“Yeah, let’s go,” Aria nodded as the two continued their approach, crossing the final field before them. The town of Remnis was a small and cozy place. A few dozen buildings lay scattered around the land, with most spread out through the breezy fields that nurtured their precious crops. As the final frosts of winter seeped into the soil, farmers began to toil in the fields, plowing them in preparation for their coming efforts.

As the couple explored the town, they came upon a cluster of buildings, closer together than the others, which seemed to act as some loose definition of a main street. Only five or so buildings lined the bare street. One was a combination of a grocer and butcher with an old worn sign that read ‘Corn Kind’ with a discolored picture of a pig eating a small cob of corn. A second store belonged to the nameless resident blacksmith, a man banging away at a piece of glowing hot steel behind the store’s doors.

The third store they came upon was a simple clothier, with rudimentary garb made to endure the usual fieldwork its usual clientele seemed to focus on. Saya began to approach before her smile fell, upon realizing the sparse selection of colors left the store bare of taste or intrigue. The fourth store was more dubious than the others, seeming to act as much as a storage house as well as a carpenter’s abode, the carpenter similarly deep in his craft as the blacksmith.

Finally, they came to a quiet combination restaurant and inn, Saya releasing another deep sigh as she realized she would likely be using another lumpy makeshift mattress as she had throughout the trip. The two entered the small tavern, shocking the girl reading behind the counter.

“Oh, hello,” she looked to them excitedly.

“Hello,” Saya gave a simple if graceful bow.

“Greetings,” Aria gave a looser wave and smile.

“Go ahead and have a seat wherever you like,” the girl motioned to the open room. “There’s no one else here right now. Everyone’s normally out working at this time of day.”

“Hope we aren’t being a nuisance,” Aria frowned as they sat down at the bar.

“Of course not,” the girl smiled. “It’s pretty rare that we get visitors here, much less so early in the day. What brings you to Remnis?”

“Um, well,” Saya looked up hesitantly. “We heard some rumors about a witch living near here.”

“A witch?” the waitress asked.

“Yeah. We heard about her when we were staying at Avtalia,” Aria elaborated. “Apparently the church sent some people to investigate before. Does that sound right?”

“Oh, yes, some of the priests sometimes came up here looking for her when I was a child, but they never really seemed successful in finding her,” the girl chuckled. “It’s always weird to hear people actually believe in her.”

“You mean you don’t?” Aria asked.

“I’ve lived here since I was really little,” the waitress commented, placing a couple glasses of water in front of the pair. “There’s some stories about the witch, but they’re mostly superstitions. My father thinks the one who supposedly saw her was just pulling prank. He couldn’t even remember what happened.”

“I see,” Aria frowned. “Guess we’ve hit a dead end then.”

“Sorry,” the waitress frowned. “Is there anything else you’d like to ask?”

“I did have another question, actually,” Saya nodded. “On our way here, we saw that black spire behind the village. What is it exactly?”

“Black spire? I don’t know what you’re talking about,” the waitress looked at Saya peculiarly. “The woods behind the village is just a small orchard. There’s nothing there.”

“What, but we…” Aria began to protest, Saya placing her hand on the knight’s gauntlet. “Saya?”

“You are certain that there is nothing out there?” Saya asked, the waitress nodding. “I see then. Would you give us a moment to think about what to order then?”

“Sure thing,” the waitress smiled.

“Saya,” Aria looked to her princess concernedly.

“I think something odd is happening here,” Saya whispered. “It may be best to investigate it ourselves after we eat.”

“Yeah,” Aria nodded. “Something doesn’t seem right here.”

The two shared a nod, the waitress returning to them, eager to prepare a meal for them. The pickings were meager when compared to the likes of Gelin or Hollow, and lacked any sense of seasoning, yet they had a certain charm to them. Aria’s unseasoned eggs, while lacking her typical pepper, were cooked to perfection, a familiar taste of pork enhancing their more common tastes. Saya’s pancakes similarly were made from a rather bland batter but had a nice fruity taste from the fresh blueberries that filled them, causing a familiar smile to scrawl on her face.

Once they finished, they approached a few of the other townsfolk, each offering a similar reply to their question. There was no dark spire in the forest. There was no object, building, or structure, just an orchard full of blossoms to greet the spring. The two girls, concerned and curious, set out to the forest themselves and were immediately struck by the peculiar sight before them.

“They all made it sound like it was a small orchard, correct?” Saya asked.

“Yeah. Like you could see straight through to the other side,” Aria crossed her arms.

“And yet,” Saya stared ahead. “This is by no means some small and shallow orchard,” she concluded as she gazed into the dark depths. She sighed. “Looks like we’re going to be going into another deep forest again.”

“Cheer up,” Aria chuckled. “We can get some more of those pancakes when we’re done.”

“They were rather good,” Saya smiled. “The blueberries and syrup were simply exquisite,” she glowed with satisfaction. As they continued on into the darkening depths, a sudden shiver passed through the two, Saya’s hairs in particular standing at attention from the sudden frigid grip. “Wh-what is this?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” Aria answered. “I don’t think we’re in danger, and yet… something really weird is going on,” she frowned as they pushed on. The trees around them began to flourish, mighty thick trees standing tall, making the trees outside look like mere sticks planted back into the ground. Further and further they wandered into the dimming light, the strange sensation sinking deeper into them and the trees filling with more and more might and age. Until finally they came to a thick black wall.

“Th-this is,” Aria’s eyes popped as light seemed to finally pierce the dark veil around them. She looked up in awe as a deep purple building stood strong before them, a steep lip of stone separating them from it as it sat in the middle of a grassy crater beneath them. They gazed up to see the black tower emerging from its roof and reaching high into the air. “What is this?”

“I do not know,” Saya shook her head. “But I think this is important. The townsfolk are oblivious to it, and all of these strange feelings,” she looked upon it with concern. “I wonder if…”

“Who are you?” a sharp voice hissed, pulling the girls’ attention away from the building. There stood a tall woman with a pair of scaly light blue wings on her back. The veins of deep blue scales along her jaw and matching blue horns morphed her soft features into a fierce dangerous visage. Her intense glare was further enhanced by her slitted yellow eyes and a flash of a set of fangs behind her lips as she spoke. “How did you find this place?”

“We just wandered in,” Aria told her.

“Lies!” the draconic woman growled. “You cannot deceive me with such a flagrant deception. The barriers here prevent you humans from finding this place. So then, I ask you again, who are you, and how did you get in here?”

“I… I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Aria grimaced. Something about this woman was… overpowering. Her mere glare seemed to harden her, stiffening her to…

“STOP!” Saya stood before her knight, forming a shield of light.

“Saya, what are you…?” she attempted to move only to find herself unable. She looked down to find her body covered in a thick layer of ice, much to her shock. “How…?”

“She was using ice magic,” Saya answered. She looked up to the draconic woman again, who stared at her in shock. “We did not come here to fight,” Saya announced. “We came here to find help. I am a witch. I came here seeking another witch, in the hopes that she could help me.”

The dragon woman took a breath. “Very well then. I will have you state your name then.”

“My name is Saya Affinia Floroma,” Saya announced. “I have come here seeking aid for my mother and sister.”

“M-mother… Floroma…” the dragon woman blinked and stumbled backward, her fierce edge easing. “Tell me, are you Phordata’s child?”

Saya shook her head. “Phordata is my aunt. My mother is…”

“Elesa,” the dragon woman completed her sentence, Saya nodding sadly. “I… I did not expect her child to be able to awaken, much less to find her way here,” she gave a gentle smile. She spread out her wings as she began to bow. “I apologize for threatening you. My name is Lyndia Frausis. I am a dracna, and act as a maid to the ruler of this region, Lady Lubella. You may call me Lyn, if it pleases you.”

“Lady Lubella?” Saya looked upon the dracna in awe. “And you are a dracna? I have read stories of your kind, but never actually met one. I have read your kind a powerful with magic and physical strength, and can shapeshift into the form of a dragon, is that correct?”

“Correct, on all counts,” Lyn smiled gracefully. “We don’t really get visitors here, outside of the occasion that a priest manages to pry their way in here, but such intrusions are typically far more… overt.”

“What do you mean?” Aria questioned.

“As I said, there are barriers preventing normal humans and other such nonmagical folk from entering here,” Lyn explained. “However, witches and those associated with them are able to pass through more freely. Given your reaction, I suspect you did not even notice them.”

“Not exactly,” Saya shook her head. “I think we actually failed to realize they were barriers,” she confessed.

“Yeah, it was like we could feel it grab us, but it didn’t really stop us,” Aria shrugged.

“Fascinating,” Lyn grinned.

“That aside,” Saya looked to the dracna maid. “Does all of this mean that the rumors were true then? The powerful witch that the church has been looking for…”

“That’s right, she’s here,” Lyn nodded. “Come, I shall show you to her,” she waved them along, patches of icy blue scales glimmering in the light.

As the two followed her, they traveled around the building, cresting the forested hill around it, the building beneath the spire finally coming into full view, a large deep purple mansion resting in a round grassy crater beneath them. Lyn took a deep breath, then curled fingers hand around lips before blowing a chilling breath. With such simple effort she had created an elegant staircase and bridge of ice that dropped upon the mansion’s landing.

“That was incredible,” Saya giggled before returning her gaze to the building. “But, I still do not understand. What is this place?”

“This is Remnisius, an ancient trove of knowledge that witches have watched over since time immemorial. The town you encountered was once home to its keepers until they forgot their mission and connection to this place, or so it is said,” Lyn explained. “Now come,” she led the two into the mansion.

The foyer was dark and quiet, cluttered with all manner of equipment including worn brooms with thick handles, each with a padded cushion upon it. A variety of baskets also littered the hall, some with succulent fruit that small black cats were rolling away into a nearby hall. In each of the far corners were large altars, with runes scrawled upon them. The one on the right seemed to have a lingering light emanating from it, a small splatter of red upon the magic circle engraved stone before it. Another cat diligently pushed a rag along the stone, attempting to clean it up.

“What is all of this?” Saya asked.

“We do not get many visitors,” Lyn lamented, “so our entrance hall has become cluttered with our usual equipment. We do still need a number of resources for our day to day lives, you realize.”

“Yeah, but what’s with the cats?” Aria asked.

“Ah, they are Lady Lubella’s feline familiars,” Lyn chuckled. “They’re tasked with cleaning up and putting away our ingredients.”

“But…” Aria looked at Lyn confusedly, “they’re cats.”

“They are capable of taking other forms,” Lyn shrugged. “The girls just get a little skittish when new people are around,” she chuckled. Saya eyed the cats, noticing one’s ears twitch before looking to her. The cat seemed to slump before darting off into the hall, as if frightened. “Give them time, they’ll come around.”

“If you say so,” Aria shrugged as Lyn led them down the far hallway between a set of dark stairs. As they walked down the hall, lamps along the walls began to burst to life, flames igniting in each one, revealing the beautiful red walls surrounding them. “I can’t decide if this is cool, beautiful, or creepy,” Aria commented.

“Apologies, we do not typically use this hallway. We have other means of transport. But this is also the most direct way to Lady Lubella,” Lyn explained. “Much of our home actually looks like this,” she smirked as the came to the end of the hallway, a bright light streaming out of it.

Saya and Aria looked on in awe as they entered a brilliant chamber, fit to be a throne room in a castle. Pristine white marble tiles expanded before them as marble pillars held the room together along the wall. The walls were a glittering light purple. Along the walls of the room were numerous gorgeous wooden bookcases filled with all manner of tomes. Filling the room was a variety of furniture. Chairs surrounding tables, long cozy couches with fanciful side tables, even a squishable oblong shape that one could sink into. Saya looked around, eyeing several sets of heavy purple curtains that seemed to partition the room into smaller sizes had someone decided it. Finally, the room was brought together by a pair of fire places in two separate corners, one to the left and the other to the right of the door the trio had entered from.

In the middle of the room sat a woman in black, sitting upon a red couch as she comfortably sipped some tea before returning to the book she was reading. She took a deep breath, and stowed a bookmark into her novel, and closed it. She looked up to the group and quietly chuckled to herself. “My, I did not expect you to bring in visitors,” she said.

“It was a rather unexpected turn of events, but one I think you will appreciate,” Lyn said as she gave a gentle bow.

“My name is Saya,” Saya mimicked Lyn’s bow. “And this is my beloved, Aria,” she said, Aria bashfully playing at her hair from Saya’s introduction. “I have come seeking your guidance.”

“I see,” Lubella stood up. Her dark braid slipped down her chest. Lubella’s deep purple hair seemed to vanish into the darkness as it lay on her equally dark dress. “What exactly did you desire of me, little one?”

Saya frowned. “It is my mother and sister. They are both trapped by the machinations of the church, their powers and identities suppressed by malicious seals,” she gripped her hands. “I want… I have to help them. But I have no idea how. None of us know what to do, but we have to save them,” Saya looked up to Lubella pleadingly. “So please, I beg of you. If you know of a way to help, please tell me how.”

The witch looked over the now trembling girl before her. The witch’s gaze seemed to fight between fierceness, anger, and sadness as she observed them closely. “Tell me, exactly how did your family find themselves in this trouble to begin with?”

Saya frowned. “I…”

“I’ll explain,” Aria rested her hand on Saya’s shoulder, Saya giving her a thankful nod. “Saya’s mother was abducted by her father many years ago and forced her to be his bride. Since then, he has taken every chance he could to suppress their witch blood, even sealing it away,” Aria took a deep breath. “Saya managed to escape that fate, and since then we’ve been slowly fighting back his influence over her and her siblings. But she doesn’t want to leave her mother, or her last sibling behind. But, like she said, they’re under the direct influence of the church, and their seals are stronger than anything else we’ve encountered. Even her aunt doesn’t know what to do.”

“That…” Lubella looked at Saya and took another breath. “Tell me again girl, what is your name?” Saya looked at her confusedly. “Your true name.”

Saya nodded. “My name is Saya Affinia Floroma,” she said. Aria gripped her hand as she said it, a ripple of magic coursing out. Lyn took a deep breath to their side as Lubella could only give a single sad chuckle.

“So, it’s true,” Lubella looked adoringly at Saya. “You’re Elesa’s daughter.”

“Do… do you know my mother?” Saya asked.

“Yes,” Lubella nodded. “She was… no, she still is my best friend. I have worried about her a lot since she was stolen from us,” she frowned before her eyes opened wider. “Hold on a moment, you said something about your aunt, did you not? Were you referring to Phordata?”

“Honey, actually,” Aria chuckled. “Phora is off doing something else right now. But she’s been with us.”

“I see,” Lubella smiled. “In that case, please, tell me more about their conditions.”

“Well,” Saya frowned. “Elise, my eldest sister, has been trapped by the church. She began awakening to her witch blood as a child, but the church has casted many seals upon her to hinder and reverse that,” she clenched her eyes and fists in psychic pain. “She is in so much pain, and she’s afraid that these seals will soon erase her identity forever.”

“I see,” Lubella grimaced. “It must be a mighty curse they have plied her with,” she took another breath. “What of Elesa?”

“Well,” Saya frowned. “We have not seen much of my mother since I awakened. But from what my sisters have said, the church began putting more powerful seals upon her since around the time I was born. Since then she has had less control over herself and has become more distant from us.”

“I understand,” Lubella said as she began to consider a solution.

“Understand…” Saya repeated, Lubella and the others looking to Saya in confusion. “I do not understand. Why did father… why would that man do this to us? Why would he hurt us like this? Why did he marry mother if he hates her and our blood so much!? I do not understand!” she shouted, on the verge of tears.

“You do not know the reason?” Lyn asked.

“No!” Saya gripped her head as Aria held her.

“I suppose that you don’t know then,” Lubella sighed.

“Know? Know what?” Saya asked, her eyes trembled.

“It’s little surprise I suppose. Phordata never knew about it, and she likely never thought to question his reasoning. She would’ve been too enraged to do so, I imagine.”

“What are you talking about?” Saya asked again.

“The reason Zerto took your mother, and the reason his hatred for witches is so strong,” she answered, resting her head on her hand. “It makes things a bit more complicated.”

“What do you mean ‘more complicated?” Aria asked. “What did he do? Why does it even matter?”

“To answer that, there is someone you should meet first,” Lubella said, the two girls passing each other a confused glance. “Lyn, please fetch Lady Relia,” she instructed the maid.

“Right away, ma’am,” she bowed, her wings flapping a chill air around her feet before departing.

“She will likely take a bit of time to prepare for you, so I would like to go over your itinerary for while you are here,” Lubella stated as she landed in a puffy blue chair.

“Itinerary?” Aria repeated. “What do you mean by that?”

“Does that mean you know a way to help my sister and mother?” Saya looked at her pleadingly. “And what about my mother!?”

“All in due time, Saya,” Lubella smiled. “All your questions will be answered. But as for helping your sister and mother, I do know of a way. The spell I would like you to learn is one pioneered, not by witches, but by the ancient fairies,” she explained. “I’m not sure what, if anything, you have learned about them, but the ancient fairies were some of the first casters of magic, taught by the original goddess of this world, Eartnae.”

“Eartnae?” Aria and Saya repeated in confused shock.

“I suspected as much. Even among we witches, tales of Eartnae are practically lost. And with them much of our understanding of the fairies and their greater magical prowess,” Lubella smirked.

“But wait a second,” Aria interrupted. “Is Saya even capable of learning this fairy magic?”

“She should be, yes,” Lubella answered. “It is said that we witches were born from ancient interactions between many of the different peoples in this world, particularly the fae. Their magic can be complicated to wield, especially for witches who have not learned how to awaken their elemental forms, but it is certainly doable.”

“And you believe that one of these fairy spells could help?” Saya asked.

“Precisely,” Lubella nodded. “I am glad you catch on quickly,” she chuckled. “Now then, the spell I would like you to study is one of these ancient spells. It is called Revalsia. It is a spell of revelation.”

“Revelation?”

“Indeed. Revalsia uses the caster’s connections,” Lubella began, light gathering in her right hand as two doll like figures were conjured in the air. A warm light began stretching from the dolls, reaching out to each other and forming a singular thread of light between the two. “The caster then uses those bonds to connect with their target,” she explained, another doll rising over her left hand, a shadowy tendril wavering about. The tendril was drawn to and fused to the thread of light bonding the other two dolls. “Using the might of that connection, illusions are scattered,” she continued, the shadowy tendril cracking with light, “falsities are destroyed, and the truth is revealed,” the light began to tear through the tendril then the doll, the shadows being torn away as the doll transformed to match the two bright dolls on the other side.

“This spell, Revalsia, you think it can free Elise from the church’s control?” Aria asked.

“It would do more than. It would even restore her to her true and proper form, even should she have forgotten it.”

“That’s perfect,” Aria cheered. “You hear that Saya? We can save her after all.”

“Yes,” Saya gave an uncertain nod.

“What’s the matter? Aren’t you happy? We can save her now.”

“That tis…” she shook her head, “it is not the issue. I mean, if the answer is so easy, why would Aunt Honey be unaware of it?”

“Oh, yeah, I guess that’s true, huh? I suppose there must be a catch then, huh?” Aria scratched her head.

“No catch,” Lubella chuckled. “At least, not in the spell itself. The problem is that you have to learn the spell first, and it is far from an easy spell to learn.”

“What do you mean?” Aria cocked her eyebrow.

“In order to master the spell, one must achieve several things. First, they must be able to use their affinity as a medium to channel the spell, which Saya should already know how to do. Second, the caster must have someone they have a deep connection with, an unfaltering bond of great trust and care, even love.”

Saya gripped Aria’s hand, looking at her blushing partner. “I think we have that covered,” she smiled, Aria giving a blushing nod.

“Next, and this is the toughest part, the caster must learn how to draw power from that bond and layer it onto an object with their element acting as the medium. Then finally, one must use the object to connect with the target.”

“I think I can do that,” Saya nodded. “Especially with Aria by my side,” Aria nodding with a giddy smile. “Aria already draws upon me for her own magic.”

“That may be true but drawing from the witch to the contractor is one thing. From contracted to witch is another,” Lubella countered.

“Even then, I believe we can do it.”

“I do not doubt that, but the process I explained is a very simplified one,” Lubella explained. “For one thing…”

“Lady Lubella,” Lyn returned. “Mistress Relia is ready.”

“I see,” Lubella nodded. “Then we will pick this back up later. Follow me you two,” she said, leading them down the hallway, Lyn walking behind them. They climbed a set of dark stairs with a silvery black banister leading them up. They came to a massive window overlooking the forest rose to their side, droplets of rain sliding down the transparent glass as the muffled sounds of the torrent of droplets echoed into their ears. They traveled further down the hallways, coming to a large doorway. Lubella knocked. “Relia, are you there?”

The door opened, a beautiful woman emerging from the comfortable looking room within. She was about Lubella’s age, a similar youthfulness complimented by the clear maturity of a middle-aged woman, youthful yet clearly far older than she first appeared, likely due to magic. Even still, Saya and Aria could only lose their breath over her beauty, her long deep blue locks cascading down her pristine white garments, which hugged her prevalent breasts and other luscious curves. Her face was gentle and soft, sweet and serene, complimented by her considerate ruby red eyes. “I’m here,” her voice was equally kind and beautiful. It reminded Saya a little of her mother’s voice when she was younger before her kindness was wholly sealed away.

“I know that it may be asking much of you, but I would like you to speak to these two of your history,” Lubella explained.

“Yes, Lyn said as much,” Relia frowned. “You wish me to tell them of him and what happened with Ethnerta and… him, correct?” Lubella nodded. Relia mustered a smiled. “I would be happy to.”

Lubella moved to hug the woman, surprising her two guests. “Thank you, my friend,” Lubella smiled. “I am sorry to put you through this again,” she returned her attention to her two visitors. “Saya, Aria,” the two stood at attention. “This is Relia. Like Saya and myself she too is a witch. She’s going to tell you of her experiences and the events that led to Ethnerta’s end. I think it best you hear it from her herself.”

“I will do the best that I can,” Relia bowed. She looked towards her the two girls, looking her over. Her gaze halted upon Saya for a moment, blinking confusedly for a moment then, with a gentle shake of her head she smiled once more. “Please come in you two,” she waved Saya and Aria into her room, closing the door behind them. Lubella exhaled deeply.

“Is something the matter, Lubella?” Lyn asked.

“It is difficult is all,” Lubella admitted. “Looking at those two, I can tell they both have much they must confront about themselves,” she explained as they descended the stairway.

“They must in order to fully grasp Revalsia’s power, correct?” Lyn confirmed.

“Yes. Revalsia, its power is dependent upon the depth and genuine nature of a couple’s bond. It cannot sustain on a shallow and frail relationship,” Lubella explained.

“I think those two will be able to do it,” Lyn chuckled.

Lubella took a breath, looking to the storm beyond the window, the sound of the droplets ringing through the hallway. “I would like to believe that as well,” Lubella gazed upon the forest. “But in order to do so, they must endure a very harsh trial. They must grasp their deepest horrors and accept each other at their most vulnerable,” she gripped her dress. “I am sorry to throw you into this storm, children. But it is your only way forward, I’m afraid.”

* * *

Saya looked around the room in awe. It was remarkably large, perhaps larger than the private quarters of the King and Queen back home. On one side of the room, along a single wall was a lavish bed with a number of wardrobes beside it, one left open with a few colorful dresses hanging upon the door. Across the room was a small study with several bookshelves and a small setup of several chairs and a table, a lovely teacup and teapot sitting upon it with a red book resting beside them.

Along the back wall was a large vanity, with plenty of space for accessories and tools clearly used for applying makeup and other similar supplies. In the far corner was a large bath with steps descending into its depths. A robe was left hanging to the side of the room. Upon closer examination, there appeared to be a door that connected to the bath that seemed to lead somewhere, and the roof seemed to raise up above the bath. Saya lingered upon the door, holding it with curiosity.

“I see my bath has caught your attention,” Relia chuckled.

“Yes,” Saya nodded. “I am rather confused why you would have one in here. I am also curious as to why the roof is raised, and that curious door,” she continued to stare at the latter.

“Personally, I enjoy being able to bathe when I want to, and thanks to my water affinity, I can enjoy one whenever I’d like,” Relia chuckled. “The roof is raised to help with ventilation. You can’t see it, but there’s a convenient hole that sucks up the steam. As for the door, I enjoy swimming, and it connects my bath to a larger pool downstairs,” she explained.

“You really know how to make a room, don’t you?” Aria looked on in awe.

“Well, when you live in seclusion like we do, you get a little creative with satisfying your desires,” Relia smiled, but it wasn’t a happy smile, not truly. There was a sense of melancholy and sorrow to it, causing Saya to frown slightly. “At any rate,” she led them a small lounge in the center of the room, directing them to a plump sofa with soft pink cushions as she sat across from them. “Now then, where shall I begin?”

“Well,” Saya looked to the witch. “We do not know much about who you are, perhaps we should start with that?”

“Yes, that’s true,” Relia chuckled. “My name is Relia Melona. I am a witch who specializes in water and light magics.”

“Really?” Saya looked at her in shock. “Those are my affinities as well,” she giggled. “I am still rather new to it, but my personal magic is what is called Healing Rain.”

“My, what a coincidence,” Relia joined in her giggle. “My personal magic is called the Guiding Waves. I imagine that it is similar to your Healing Rain, in terms of it being a supportive form of witchcraft. However, it focuses on helping guide the minds and spirits of others. It is particularly good for wayfinding,” she explained. “It can also help guide people out of their own despair.”

“That’s amazing,” Aria looked at her in awe. “That must mean you never get lost, right?”

“Well, it has it’s quirks,” Relia admitted. “It’s not quite that convenient,” she frowned. “There’s many things it cannot accomplish, but it is rather helpful,” she gave a somber smile.

“I see,” Aria nodded. “Let’s see, oh, how long have you lived here?”

“It’s been a little shy of 30 years now,” Relia grimaced, surprising the two. “That’s when…”

“Oh…” Saya’s smile fell, Aria’s following suit.

“Well, with that, I suppose that’s as good a place to start as any,” Relia smiled wryly. “As you may know, plenty of witches do not begin with their body matching who they are. While many witches, like Lubella, are born with their body already synchronized to their souls, others are not always so fortunate.”

“You mean,” Saya looked to her pleadingly, Relia nodding.

“Yes, when I was a child, my body was different, masculine in form and shape,” she sighed. “Back then I lived in the Kingdom of Luxur,” Aria and Saya’s eyes widened as Relia mentioned that detail. Relia chuckled. “Yes, that’s right. I was from… that land,” she grimaced. “I was even a knight under that man,” the two looked at her sadly. “I was a knight under Prince Zerto’s command.”

20