Chapter 11 – Ethnerta
266 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello sweets! Hope you're all doing well!

I just celebrated 7 years of HRT this past weekend and I want to wish you all a happy time too!

Really excited to share this chapter as we get a little deeper into Relia's adventure. Hope you're all enjoying it too!

Read chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

The days passed by as the young witch and her dracna companion traveled further north. The spring warmth began to intensify, the beautiful forests and fields around them slowly breathing with newfound life. Relia was struck by the lovely colors that surrounded them and the sweet scents that accompanied them. Lyn could only chuckle as she saw her lady’s face open wide and her eyes twinkle with awe.

Relia could only recall such vibrant colors from her childhood, with her mother taking her to tour the gardens. It was only after her mother had been exiled when her grandfather had taken a more persistent role in directing her life, her father unable to resist his demands. And then, as she grew older, and she joined the knights, her surroundings had become dull, full of greys and browns. She pined to see such wonderous views again and reveled in adoring them now.

“Look down there!” Relia pointed, her arm frantically waving with excitement as she motioned towards the gathering deer in the valley below them.

“Yes, yes,” Lyn chuckled. “Just be certain not to shake the carriage too much.”

“S-sorry,” Relia stuttered in shock. She had been told that a lot on this trip already. It was strange. Before, while she enjoyed the beauty of the environments around her, she never quite felt so excitable, at least not since she was a young boy.

She hesitated upon that thought. Was she truly a young boy back then? She brought her hand to her budding chest. It was nothing impressive yet. Had she chosen a different garb and style, she may still pass for a man, or so she suspected. That thought made her frown. Yet even still, in spite of certain aspects that seemed stubborn to change, she knew she was a girl, a woman now. However, it was not like much changed about her aside from her body. Yes, some of her behaviors were different, but she could recall her doing such things as a child, picking flowers, playing with the manor’s horses, even cooking with her mother. It seemed evident to her that she behaved like many other girls in her youth, and her parents knew she was one too. Then, was she always a girl? The notion felt rather reassuring and comforting, that much was true. Even so, she still didn’t know for certain.

Relia looked up to Lyn. That’s right, Lyn was with her as a child too, wasn’t she? “Um, Lyn?”

“Yes Lady Relia?” Lyn’s answer made Relia buzz with joy.

“Um, I’ve been thinking,” Relia turned towards the dracna. “How I’ve been feeling lately. It’s been nostalgic, reminding me of when I was a child,” her fingers twitched upon her chest. “W-was I girlish? When I was a kid, I mean?”

“Hmm, that is a difficult question for me,” Lyn twisted her mouth. “Gender roles among humans and dracna can be quite different,” she explained. “For instance, women in human societies are often relegated to the home, while among the dracna, women hold great power and lead many into battle,” she continued. “So, I’m still uncertain what is truly considered feminine and masculine among humans.”

“I see,” Relia frowned.

“However,” Lyn smirked. “I do recall my lady often being frustrated and feeling alienated with the boys alongside you. I remember you coming home more than once crying because the boys would make fun of your longer hair and gentle demeanor.”

“I kind of remember that,” Relia frowned.

“It was a difficult time for you, that is for certain. And your father did say more than once that he felt you would have gotten along with the girls far better,” Lyn noted, Relia tightening her grasp as she lamented her lost chance for such friends. “I seem to also recall the prince coming to your aid a number of times.”

“Yes,” Relia smiled. “Prince Zerto would come to my aid a lot when I was younger. Arstis and Rald as well. They would support me and encourage me,” she smiled. “I hope that we can meet again one day, and that we can all be happy again like when were children.”

“That would be nice,” Lyn quietly nodded. She gazed upon the serene smile on Relia’s soft face, and her hands clasped on her chest as she quietly repeated her wish. “I hope for such an encounter to go well, for your sake,” she whispered.

Silence began to drift over the two again, save the ever-present creaking and rattling as they traveled down the mountain road. Before long, as they curved around another peak, a magnificent view began to emerge from the mountainside. Relia’s mouth dropped once more as she beheld the beautiful sight before her. A large castle stood upon the countryside, sprawling out further than Luxur castle, yet shorter than it as well. Its wide, tall walls hid the inner secrets of the stony dwelling, yet she could tell there was something welcoming to it, an instinct within her pining to get closer.

Yet, the castle was not the only thing. Before the castle walls was an equally large city pooling out at the castle’s feet She looked on in awe as she noticed a collection of ten towers dotted throughout it. It reminded her of Gelin, yet there was a different energy to it, some new shiny sheen that made it all the more fascinating. “This is it?” Relia’s mouth continued to gape.

“Yes,” Lyn chuckled. “This is Enzera, the capital city of Ethnerta, home to Enzera Castle.”

“You’ve been here before Lyn?” Relia questioned.

“Indeed. This is where I met your mother all those years ago, after all.”

“Then, could you tell me a bit about it?”

“Certainly,” Lyn nodded. “Ethnerta is a country ruled by a human king and a witch queen. Their traditions follow the more ancient beliefs that Luxur once held, practicing witchcraft and human magic together in the same place. The castle provides free education to all young witches, and provides them sanctuary, with the expectation that they will help enrich the country in turn, often turning to the city to find a career.”

“A career?” Relia asked. “What do they do?”

“All manner of things. Cooking, crafting, assisting in magitech development, and even assisting with resource collection, farming, and construction,” Lyn explained. “Witch magic is more potent than that of typical humans, and as such you can do many things to help those humans do things they normally can’t,” she explained. “Ethnerta is a city where people work together to accomplish each other’s goals.”

“I see,” Relia nodded as she scanned the city. “If everyone works together, then are those towers used like that too? Like to grind grain?”

“That’s a good guess, my lady, however, that is incorrect. Those towers are actually the home to many labs that are used for both experimentation and to perform complicated rituals. Their height and thick walls keep their experiments secret and away from the public in case something goes wrong.”

“Secret?” Relia repeated. “Like from the public?” she considered. “Oh! Or is it to prevent enemy spies from learning of their activities.”

“The latter, although the public could become frustrated with the research as well I suppose,” Lyn chuckled. “I’m sure you’ll learn quite a bit about them in due time.” Lyn continued describing the city as such to a fascinated Relia, who’s curiosity only grew as they made their way through the city. It was incredible, the city was much more advanced than Luxur could ever be. From mystical boxes that displayed moving pictures, to paper that could become realistic images with but simple flash of light, it was as if she had stepped into another world.

Then at last, their carriage approached the castle gates, crossing a beautiful stone bridge in the process. Relia gulped as she prepared to face the guards. However, her nerves quickly evaporated as she noticed one of the guard’s long hair and soft features, finally realizing them to be a woman. She gawked at her in shock. Luxur was famous for having the Lumina Knights, a force of knights comprised only of women, and yet even they were not tasked with such important, if mundane roles. She was further shocked as the knights gave them a simple wave as they entered the courtyard.

“They didn’t want to check us?” Relia asked.

“They have no need to,” Lyn nodded. “The bridge is enchanted to sleuth out ill will and contraband. It is simpler to do that since so many people come in and out of the castle,” she explained. “The castle is where witches come to learn magic after all.

“I see,” Relia nodded, only to be suddenly startled as their carriage came to a halt.

“We have arrived,” Lyn said. “I have to discuss where to take our carriage with the guards. Why don’t you go ahead and head in?”

“B-but, what am I supposed to do?” Relia nervously looked to Lyn.

“Recall what the princess said. Ask for an audience with the queen and present the letter from your mother,” Lyn smiled.

“R-right,” Relia sheepishly nodded, sifting through her satchel for the letter. She looked at it nervously as she looked up to the imposing castle doors, another pair of knights looking upon her. She took a deep breath and climbed the stairs and entered the doors. The door dumped into a frighteningly large foyer, which seemed to beat even Luxur’s own. Yet, it was also somehow relaxing, perhaps due to the soothing colors that adorned the walls. Unlike the usual greys, golds, and reds that lined Luxur’s halls, Enzera’s walls were a soothing violet which gave off an ethereal radiance that both lit up the room and gave the hall a glassy sheen. Numerous colorful decorations decorated the halls, brightening up the cozy walls, with bright red carpets exciting the atmosphere.

She looked in awe as she advanced towards the central stairway before her, glancing around for someone to talk to. Finally, she spotted a maid with short green hair descending the right hand side of the stairway approaching her. “Greetings, how may I help you, miss?”

“Um,” Relia shifted in place. “My name is Relia Melona. I came here to speak to the queen,” she blushed. “Uh… I have a letter of introduction here,” she held the letter in her nervously shaking hands.

“A letter to see the queen?” the maid eyed her analytically. She looked carefully at the letter and shook her head. “I do not know what game you are playing at, but the queen does not have time for them,” she said sternly.

“Game?” Relia looked at her, trying to quiet the tremble gripping her. “I’m not…” she shook her head. “Please, I’m… a newly awakened witch, and I was…”

“Then you may go seek assistance from the Awakening Authority, and they will process and direct you there,” the maid interrupted.

“Awakening Authority?” Relia asked.

The maid sighed. “Newbies,” she whispered. “They are the department that handles such affairs for newly awakened witches. Speak to one of the guards, and they will direct you.”

“B-but I…”

“I understand you are confused, but as I said, the queen does not have time for the likes of you,” the maid cut her off. “Now if you will please leave. If you do not, I will have to call…”

“Hold on a moment, Aloe,” a gentle yet confident womanly voice interrupted. “What seems to be the matter here?”

“Queen Rosaria?” the maid, Aloe, looked up the stairs, Relia following her eyes. A woman began to descend the stairs. She was absolutely gorgeous, long purple hair that came just short of touching the ground, a brilliant white tiara adorning her head. She wore a long ornate flowing purple dress, slightly lighter in color than her hair, with black trim, her generous cleavage accentuated by the dress’s deep neckline. She had a royal vibe to her, yet it was coupled with a freer, tempestuous energy, contrasting with Princess Veria’s tight and controlled station. Her voluptuous figure and doting demeanor filled Relia with a powerful surge of excitement. She couldn’t help but blush as she gazed upon the almighty woman descending upon her. “Ehem,” the maid cleared her throat, similarly taken aback. “This girl here has come seeking an audience with you, and I was attempting to send her away.”

“An audience?” Queen Rosaria looked over Relia. “I take it she’s a newly awakened witch from your tone?”

“Yes, your highness,” Aloe nodded. “I was directing her to the Awakening Authority.”

“Excellent,” Queen Rosaria nodded. “Good job as always, Aloe.”

“Thank you, your highness,” Aloe bowed. “If I may, what brings you here?”

“Oh, nothing much. I was speaking with my sweet Lulu, when she thought she heard the name of an old friend, but I imagine she simply misheard part of your conversation,” Queen Rosaria giggled. Relia was struck by the sweet tones of the queen. She still struggled to comprehend that this was the queen. She certainly fit the part, but at the same time, she seemed more… casual perhaps, than the royals she had known. “Now if that would be all, I should probably return to my office. I have several forms I must fill out.”

“B-but,” Relia finally choked out, surprising the Queen. “I was given this letter,” she said. “I was told to meet with you.”

“It’s a letter from Luxur, your highness,” Aloe interjected. “No offense girl, but your kingdom is not exactly friendly towards us these days, and a letter like that can be lethal, if laced with the right poisons.”

“P-poi…” Relia’s voice shook, “but she wouldn’t…” her expression fell.

“A letter from Luxur?” the Queen repeated catching Aloe and Relia’s attention. “But then… would that make you…?”

“Yes, your highness,” Lyn’s voice answered, Relia turning to face her maid as her cyan wings flapped behind her. “It is as you suspect,” she placed her hand on Relia’s shoulder. “Relia is Vena’s daughter.”

“Lyndia?” Queen Rosaria looked upon her in awe, her lips rising with glee. “It has been too long.”

“Your, highness?” Aloe looked up to the queen in confusion.

“Apologies,” Lyn looked to the maid. “My lady is still struggling with her confidence it would seem,” she explained, Relia giving a dissatisfied pout. “Relia is the daughter of a cherished friend of Queen Rosaria, Vena Melona.”

“I recognize that name,” Aloe blinked. “She was the one who organized efforts to survey the continent to find young displaced witches and escort them here,” Lyn nodded. “My apologies, I had no idea,” Aloe bowed, stepping to the side. “Please, go ahead,” she directed Relia to the queen, who descended to the landing in the stairway.

“Um…” Relia gathered her wits once more. “I am Relia Melona, d-daughter of Vena Melona,” she blushed, fidgeting nervously as she tried to meet the queen’s gaze. “I have come seeking your help and guidance, Queen Rosaria.”

“I am glad you have come, little one,” Queen Rosaria smiled. “I would be glad to help you.” Relia looked at her excitedly, a tear coming to her eye as the queen giggled at the youth. “Very well then, if you would please come with me.”

Queen Rosaria guided led them up the stairs and through the immediate hall before them. As they passed through, Relia heard an amount of giggling from a nearby room, the queen coming to a halt. “Apologies, give me a moment,” she walked over to the door, pushing it open revealing a group of girls giggling amongst themselves. “Keep it down girls. We have guests.”

“Yes, your highness!” a short girl with long wavy blonde hair and two distinct curls framing her face giggled, prompting the others to follow suit. Relia eyes lingered on the girl, her cute face and voice capturing her thoughts. Meanwhile, the queen proceeded to eye another, otherwise silent, girl.

The girl huffed. “Yes, mother,” the girl responded, her shoulder length purple hair bobbing around her neck.

“Good. And remember your studies,” Queen Rosaria prodded them, prompting a series a grumbling from the room. “Apologies, but I cannot help but tease my daughter and her friends.”

“You have hardly changed,” Lyn chuckled as they continued along their way, further down the hall.

“Well, I must entertain myself somehow,” Queen Rosaria led them to a door. “And here we are.”

* * *

Relia squirmed in chair as she tried to quietly wait for Queen Rosaria to read the letter. She felt… uncomfortable. It was a strange feeling. Back in Luxur, she knew Zerto and Veria well enough to find herself comfortable around them, and she hardly ever needed to address their father. But here, Queen Rosaria felt more imposing while her general presence felt more welcoming. The extravagant nature of their meeting room didn’t help matters. Zerto’s meeting room was always noble and refined, and Veria’s was even more lavished than his, yet both of them seemed practically meager compared to the beautiful cabinets and shimmering finish the crystalline room had.

“Please now, you can relax,” Queen Rosaria giggled. “I apologize if I am setting you on edge. But you may relax.”

“N-no, it isn’t you your highness,” Relia objected.

“It is simply the unfamiliarity,” Lyn chuckled. “I’m sure it will pass with time.”

“I hope so,” Queen Rosaria smiled. “At any rate, if these letters are anything to go by, then you have certainly been through a lot,” she frowned. “You poor dear.”

“Wait, letters? I was under the impression there was only one,” Relia looked at her confusedly.

“Not quite. There are actually three here. One from your mother, which is both about you and about her own situations. The second is from Luxur’s late Queen elaborating upon the situation, and the final one is from Princess Veria, explaining what happened between when the first two were written and shortly before you left,” Queen Rosaria sighed. “It sounds like Luxur is in a more dubious state than I had realized.”

“Yeah,” Relia frowned. “I… I didn’t even realize any of what was really going on,” she slumped. “I’m sorry I can’t tell you more.”

Queen Rosaria shook her head. “Nonsense. It is not the duty of children like you to know of such things. Your duty is to learn about yourself and grow as a person, not figure out the politics around you.”

“I guess, so,” Relia nodded.

“Well, even if things were different in Luxur, that will be your job here,” Queen Rosaria looked upon Relia dotingly. “I will be sure to guide and protect you as you discover more about yourself. Especially since she cannot.”

“Mom…” Relia frowned. “Is mom here?” she asked.

Queen Rosaria’s expression sank. “Unfortunately, she is not. Shortly after returning to Ethnerta, she became… unsettled. She could not stay in one place knowing you were out there. So, in order to handle those feelings, she went right back to her old task of seeking out young witches and guiding them to Ethnerta.”

“Does that mean she’s still out there then?” Relia asked.

“That I am uncertain of,” the queen frowned. “I heard a rumor some time ago that she had to retreat into hiding to the Northeast, toward the Faerest, but that is the most I have heard, and that was quite some time ago.”

“The Faerest?” Relia questioned. “Isn’t that where the fairies live? It exists? And why would she go there?”

“It most certainly does,” Lyn answered. “There is an ancient sanctuary there called Krenia. It is said to be the home of the oldest and wisest witches who have sought seclusion from the rest of the world. It is also said to be the place where the first witch was born, thanks to the fairies.”

“Indeed,” Queen Rosaria nodded. “It is also a land protected by those very fairies. If Vena sought refuge there, then she will certainly be protected.”

“I see,” Relia looked to the floor. The idea that her mother was still safe somewhere out there was comforting in a way, but she remained disappointed that she was not here with her now. Before she realized it, tears had bubbled into her eyes, and she began to cry as sadness griped her.

“Relia,” Lyn wrapped her wing around the crying girl.

“I just… I want her back,” Relia whimpered. “I want my mommy back.”

“Oh honey,” the queen wiped away some tears of her own after approaching the crying girl. She looked upon her with sadness shimmering in her eyes before wrapping the girl in a warm hug.

“I… she was supposed to be here for me,” she cried. “Daddy. He said… he said she’d…”

“Lyn?” Queen Rosaria looked to the dracna. “What does she mean?”

“Vena’s husband, he…” Lyn sighed. “He reassured her that her mother would be here in an attempt to leave him behind. You see, he had to stay behind to aid in our escape. He also has been serving certain other things that he couldn’t mention back there.” Relia looked up, her tearful eyes shaking with confusion. “Apologies Relia,” she frowned. “It was not his desire to deceive you, but rather it was part of the promise he made to your mother.”

“Ah, yes, his letter mentioned as much,” Queen Rosaria smiled. “He chose to take up after your mother, and guide any witches to our lands. Although I imagine that will become more difficult going forward without your aide, Lyndia.”

“You would be surprised, her father is a surprisingly resourceful man,” Lyn chuckled. “It is a shame though, he fully believed Vena would be here,” Lyn petted Relia.

“She… she was… supposed to…” Relia cried.

“I understand, sweetie,” Rosaria squeezed Relia in her embrace. “She was my best friend since I was young, and I miss her too,” she held the girl tight. “I shall see what I can do to reach out to her and find her again, for your sake. Reaching Krenia is difficult in this day and age, but I may be able to figure something out,” she smiled. “At any rate,” she clapped her hands, Aloe emerging from the doors. “Aloe, would you fetch Lubella?”

“Of course, your highness,” Aloe bowed.

“Lubella?” Relia asked, wiping away some more tears.

“Indeed,” Rosaria eased her embrace. “Lubella is my daughter. She’s a little more along in her awakening and training than you are, so I am going to have her introduce you to the teachers and counselors,” the queen explained.

“What do you…” Relia looked to the queen confusedly.

“While you are here,” the queen continued. “I would like for you to learn more about your abilities as a witch. I shall see to it that you are enrolled as quickly as possible, while Lubella helps catch you up.”

“My abilities as a witch…” Relia pondered. As they sat there in silence, her mind began to wander. What were her abilities anyway? How would she be able to use them? She had so many questions.

“You called for me, mother?” a girl entered the study, Relia recalling her shoulder length purple hair. “What is it?”

“Good, you’ve come,” the queen grinned. “This girl here is the daughter of a close friend of mine…”

“You mean Lady Vena?” Lubella asked.

“I see you have been eavesdropping again,” the queen huffed, Lubella throwing her hands behind her head, giving a shrug.

“You’re the one who taught me to gather what information I can,” the princess answered casually with a shrug. “So, what? You want me to show her around and get her enrolled?”

“Lubella,” the queen stared at her. “Were you…”

“Oh, calm down mom,” Lubella laughed. “I wasn’t listening in. I just know how this works. New witch shows up, she goes to the academy to learn. It’s pretty obvious,” she chuckled.

“Remind me to instruct your teachers to teach you better etiquette,” the queen sighed. “You are a princess dear, you should at least try to behave like one.”

“I’ll learn that later,” Lubella responded casually.

“Lubella!” the queen snapped.

“So, new girl,” Lubella grinned at the clearly confused girl to her side. “You wanna learn magic and stuff?” she asked excitedly.

“Y-yeah,” Relia nodded.

“Then follow me,” Lubella declared.

“Lubella!” the queen called after her as the girl marched out of the room. “Goodness that girl,” the queen held her head, massaging her temples.

“She is quite the rambunctious one,” Lyn chuckled. “She seems like a handful, much like you were when you were a kid.”

“Please do not say that in front of her,” Queen Rosaria pleaded. “The last thing I need is for her to start using my own childhood against me. I have enough of a hard time getting her to listen to me.”

“Um,” Relia chimed, unclear of what to do.

“Sorry dear,” the queen gave a soft smile. “Go ahead and join her. She may be a handful, but I know she will be a good guide.”

“Yes’m,” Relia nodded, swiftly departing the room as Lyn and the queen shared a smile. She dashed down the hall towards Lubella who was already mostly down the hall, continuing her march. “P-please wait!” Relia begged finally catching up as Lubella came to a halt, laughing.

“You’re quite the slowpoke, huh?” Lubella laughed.

“I…” Relia panted.

“Or, you’re an overwhelmed girl who needed mom to tell you to go, right?”

“I…” Relia caught her breath, rising and looking at Lubella in shock. “Huh?”

“Right on the money,” Lubella laughed. “Judging from your body, and how you seem to still be growing,” Relia blushed deeply, “you must still be getting used to everything,” she grinned. Relia squirmed. “Uh, sorry,… uh…” Lubella scratched her head. “Sorry, I didn’t catch your name.”

Relia sighed. “My name is Relia,” she answered.

“Relia, huh?” Lubella nodded. “Cute name for a cute girl,” Relia blushed again. “Oooh, and an even cuter blush. Gee, you’re gonna be lots of fun,” Lubella laughed.

“Are you mocking me,” Relia pouted.

“No, no,” Lubella giggled. “Teasing, certainly, but not mocking. It’s just fun teasing little hatchlings like you before you get all confident.”

Relia’s expression dropped. “It’s true,” she frowned. “I feel so much more insecure,” she curled upon herself. “I used to be so much more confident, but…”

“Were you really though?” Lubella asked. Relia looked up, to see the princess look her over. “Were you really confident? Or were you just trying to act like you were okay?”

Relia stood there, stunned. She blinked. Then she blinked again. She wasn’t sure how to respond to that. She felt herself go limp as she looked to her hands. “I… don’t know,” she frowned.

“It’s okay,” Lubella grabbed up Relia’s hands. “You’re among friends here. People like you, who are trying to figure out who they are,” she smiled. “You’re not alone, and it’s okay to feel vulnerable. It’s okay to let go of those burdens and facades. You get to be you here.”

“T-thanks,” Relia gave a hesitant smile.

“Especially when you’re so easy to fluster like this Riri,” Lubella winked. Relia blinked. Then she began to chuckle, giggle, then laugh. “There we go, now doesn’t it feel better not to be all tense.” Relia stopped laughing and exhaled. Lubella was right, she did feel less tense. She even felt good, happy too.

“Thanks, Lubella,” Relia smiled.

“Of course,” Lubella smirked. “It’s my royal duty to tease the newbies into satisfaction. Now come along, I have a lot you to teach you.”

Lubella chuckled as she led Relia down the stairs and out of the building. While she hadn’t had the time before, Relia began to scan the castle courtyard. Unlike the symmetrical nature of Luxur’s own castle, Enzera’s castle had a very different structure. From the palace steps and to the left was a campus of several tall buildings, energetic youth wandering between them. To the right was a much more wide open space. A few things populated it, such as a small barracks and small fenced off area with some animals roaming about, and to the furthest edge of the wall was another building. The rest of the empty space was filled with a few trees and vast patches of dirt where the castle’s soldiers stamped their feet as they trained. Surprisingly, unlike Luxur’s training field, a handful of people in robes and dresses also seemed to be practicing as well, a variety of glimmers and glows coming from their hands.

“Let’s see, at this time of day…” Lubella began to think to herself, “he should be over in the field office,” she said. “Follow me,” they continued to their right, into the training field. As they passed through it, Relia’s eyes wandered, towards the robed group, and watched the glowing around them more carefully. Her eyes sparkled as one girl in a black dress made a pulling motion, a spire of mud rising from the ground. The girl muttered to herself and adjusted her hands, the spire changing and molding into a statue of a fairy. The more the girl worked, the more detailed it became, its color going from a thick brown to a sparkling blue.

“Wow,” Relia looked on in awe. Her eyes wandered to another witch, who threw her arms about, a gust of wind following her motions as it whipped around picking up a variety of loose leaves and forming a pile in front of the fairy statue as a boyish person beside her snapped their fingers and lit them on fire, the others gathering around. “Huh?” Relia tilted her head.

“Something up?” Lubella asked.

“That boy just used magic, right?” she cocked her eyebrow. “But I thought all witches were women?”

“Well, they’re actually not a boy. They’re not a girl either,” Lubella chuckled as Relia stared at her blankly. “Witches aren’t exclusively women. Plenty of us are, and there are many who aren’t but get labeled that way by groups like the church, but they don’t fall into that category. Gender can be a pretty oblong thing like that.”

“I see,” Relia scratched her head.

Lubella laughed. “A lot of newbies from a far tend to be caught off guard by people like them, but you’ll catch on rather quickly,” she grinned.

“I hope so,” Relia nodded. “Um, although I guess that does raise the question. Are there boy witches?”

“Sort of,” Lubella shrugged. “They tend to go by warlocks, although some do still prefer being called witches. It enters a point of semantics and preference at that point though.”

“I see,” Relia poked at her chin. She looked to Lubella, noticing her looking up, and following her eyes upward to the building before them. “What is this place?”

“This is the Field Office,” Lubella commented. “They coordinate a lot of the public works around here and help people find odd jobs. They started to help the soldiers figure out where to deploy themselves during their off time, but over time the academy began working with them so students can learn how to help society.”

“Really?” Relia gawked. “So, people can come here and just find jobs to do?” Lubella nodded. “That’s incredible.”

“I think it’s pretty cool too,” Lubella grinned. “Anyway, come on. There’s someone here you should meet.” The two advanced into the building. The building was surprisingly open and welcoming, with plenty of space to relax and sit to the right, next to a set of stairs going up. To the left was what appeared to be several offices connected to the space behind the counter before them, a handful of clerks manning it. “Hershel!” she called out, a large, armored knight by the counter turning to face her, his thick glove covered hands stroking his white pointed beard. “I need your help.”

“Heh, looks like our little princess is being uppity and demanding help again,” the knight chuckled.

“You know you find me endearing,” Lubella teased.

“Whatever would give you that idea?” he smirked smugly. “How can I help you, princess?”

Lubella placed her hands on Relia’s shoulders. “This is Relia, she’s a newbie here, and I need to get her enrolled into classes.”

“You realize that is usually Lancia’s job, correct?” Hershel eyed the princess.

“But of course, but today is her day off, and Relia here is the daughter of mom’s friend, Vena,” Lubella explained.

“Ah, so this small thing is Vena’s,” Hershel grinned. “I’ll see to it that everything is taken care of then, is that all good?”

“Perfect,” Lubella clapped her hands.

“Very well then, I’ll go handle the preparations for the exam,” he bowed to Relia. “I shall see you in a short bit then, my lady.”

“Hold on a moment,” Relia pipped up. “Preparations? Exam? What are you talking about?” she frowned. “I understand that I am to get training on how to use my magic, but… I don’t know how to use any of it, and… I’m just confused. I don’t really get what’s going on.”

“You don’t…” Hershel sighed. “Princess,” he shot Relia a glare, as the princess dodged his eyes. “Did you not tell her what she’s getting into?”

“Uh,” Lubella scratched at her cheek. “I may have skimmed over that.”

Hershel sighed again and looked to Relia. “I apologize, Princess Lubella can get… a little ahead of herself at times,” Lubella playfully stuck her tongue out at the accusation. “Allow me to explain everything from the beginning then.”

“I would appreciate that,” Relia smiled.

“Very well,” Hershel nodded. “Essentially, upon awakening, the witches of Ethnerta are highly advised to enter Enzera Academy, a school that specializes in witchcraft. Those who attend will learn about magic, the history of witch kind, among other courses to help them succeed in living a stable and successful life.”

“That all makes sense I suppose,” Relia nodded. “But what is this exam about?”

“You see,” Lubella interjected. “Each witch is graced with a particular set of affinities, or types of mana they are most attuned with. For instance, I have an affinity for dark and earth mana. This affinity is very important for each witch, as it dictates where our strengths lie, and by extension helps inform the academy what teachers will be the most help to you. However, most witches don’t know their affinity upon awakening. The exam that Hershel is going to prepare for us will help in determining your affinity.”

“I see,” Relia nodded. “So, in order to assign me a teacher, you have to figure my affinity, which is why we came here?”

“Correct,” Hershel nodded. “It normally takes some time to prepare such a thing, but I can probably get you examined as soon as tomorrow morning. There is also some paperwork to prepare, but I can assist you with all of that later.”

“I see,” Relia nodded.

“And with that, ladies, I shall see you later,” he waved them goodbye.

“Thanks, Hersh,” Lubella waved goodbye, Relia following suit.

“T-thanks,” Relia said. She took a deep breath and looked to Lubella, who smiled at her. “W-what?”

“Oh nothing, just seeing you all excitable and happy is fun,” she laughed. “It’s a good look on you.”

“H-happy?” Relia asked. Now that Lubella had said it, Relia quickly began to become aware of the smile planted firmly on her lips. She giggled as she thought about being seen and treated as a girl and took a breath. “Yeah, I’m happy,” she smiled. “I really am happy.”

20