Chapter 14: True Nature
262 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As a bit of a heads up, I may be taking a week long break next week. I'm doing some rewrites of some upcoming chapters, and I'm not sure I'll have them finished in time due to school starting back up. I'll have a more concrete answer by the Friday update though :)

Read up to 3 chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Reader Discretion is advised.

Content Warning:

Spoiler

This is a heavy chapter including situations of deadnaming and misgendering.

[collapse]

“I don’t like this,” Elesa grumbled.

“I know,” Lubella rubbed her arm. “But…”

“No buts,” Elesa turned away.

“Elesa,” Lubella frowned. “I…” she looked down and swallowed her words as she quietly accepted Elesa’s anger, the two walking outside the castle as Relia silently trailed behind them.

“There you girls are,” Queen Rosaria smiled at them, eagerly anticipating their response. Seconds passed in silence, the queen blinking in confusion as the three stood there silently, Elesa looking away from herself and Lubella with a hard scowl, Relia staring at the ground behind her, and finally her daughter beside Elesa looking to the side in shame. “Oh, you girls,” the queen frowned. She took a deep breath and clapped her hands, calling them to attention. “I understand this is hard girls, but please don’t be like this.”

“You don’t know how I’m feeling,” Elesa grumbled.

“Elesa!” Lubella raised her voice as Relia looked anxiously to the others.

“I do understand,” the Queen answered. “You’re parting with you lover, unsure if you’ll ever see her again,” Rosaria sighed. “It’s not easy. You must be angry. Certainly sad, even heartbroken. As well as infuriated at your own helplessness to stop it.”

Elesa balled her hand into a fist. “If you understand, then why are you doing this!?” she demanded. “Why are you making me say goodbye to her!? Why are you sending her away from everyone who loves her!?” she began to cry. “I…” the queen approached her, embracing her into a hug. “I just…”

“Elesa…” Relia’s voice shook, Lubella gripping her hand.

“We’re doing this because we care about her too,” Rosaria admitted. “None of us want her to get hurt. I don’t like having to hide her away either. I’ve had to say goodbye to Vena under similar circumstances,” Elesa looked up to her confusedly. “Vena and I… we were very close before she left. I didn’t want to say goodbye when she left the first time, and I tried to get her to stay after she was exiled from Luxur,” she explained. “But I had to let her go, for her own sake.”

“Queen Rosaria,” Relia looked to the queen with awe.

“I will do everything in my power to make sure your parting is as brief as possible,” the queen smiled. “But for now, please, Elesa. If for no one else, but for Relia’s sake.”

“Okay,” Elesa sniffled. She looked to Lubella and frowned. “I’m sorry, Lubella. I just…”

Lubella shook her head. “I understand. If anything, I’ve been rather inconsiderate with this whole situation. I’m sorry El.”

“It’s okay,” Elesa wiped away her tears and looked to Relia. “Rely,” she mustered a smile as she approached to hug her. “Be safe out there, please,” she tried to ask confidently, desperately trying to hide the tremor in her voice. Relia held her close, resting her damp eyes on her love’s shoulder.

“Of course, I will, Ella,” she hugged her close. “I’ll come home, back to you. I promise.”

“I wish I could go with you. I want to stay by your side and…” Elesa’s hug tightened.

“I know,” Relia squeezed her back. “But they need you here. You know how rare our light magic is. They will already struggle without me. Losing both of us would be too much.”

“I know,” Elesa whimpered. “I love you, Relia.”

“I love you too, Elesa,” the two hugged each other for what felt like an eternity, before the evening sun flashed in their eyes, prompting them to finally part.

“I don’t want to let you go, but I will. But only for now, okay?” Elesa smiled.

“I’ll look forward to you taking me away them,” Relia smiled.

“It’s a promise then,” Elesa smiled. “Oh, I almost forgot,” she grabbed a small box from her pocket. “This is for your birthday.”

“What is it?” Relia asked.

“It’s a bracelet I made for you,” Elesa smiled. “No matter where you are, it will let me find you. I meant for it only to be a silly trinket to tease you with, but now…” Relia knocked her off balance with a sudden hug. “Relia…”

“Thank you,” Relia giggled. “I’ll cherish it.”

“I’m glad,” Elesa giggled back.

“Come on now girls,” Lyn prodded them as she arrived. “Or else you’ll never stop saying your farewells.”

“Right,” Elesa nodded. “I’ll be sure to help them finish all of this, so you can come home soon,” she said before kissing her, Relia eagerly being pulled in by her luscious lips. The two took a deep breath of the other, and smiled one last time to each other, before sharing another kiss.

“Girls,” Lyn prompted them again.

“Ever the punctual maid, aren’t you?” Rosaria chuckled.

“Of course,” Lyn chuckled back.

“Thanks for looking after me again, Miss Lyn,” Relia smiled.

“Of course. I quite enjoy it, little miss,” she bowed before directing her to the carriage. Relia gave a final look to her friends and lover before mounting the carriage and waving them goodbye. “Take care everyone!”

“I’ll miss you, Relia!” Elesa’s voice echoed as they began to ride away. Relia began to whimper as her voice grew quieter in the distance, small tears trickling down her cheeks before a familiar wing wrapped around her.

“It will be alright, Relia,” Lyn reassured her.

“I hope you’re right,” Relia curled up to the dracna.

* * *

“Welcome to the Ivy House, my ladies,” an older gentleman greeted Relia and Lyn as they descended their carriage. “I hope that your trip went well?” The gentleman wore a black suit with a light purple undershirt. His white gloves emphasized his nature as an elegant butler, and his poise reflected his years of experience.

“Quite well, thank you, Walt,” Lyn bowed. “The little miss fussed a bit with our couple days of camping,” Relia began to pout as she recalled the uncomfortable outings. “But nothing too severe. I hope you have been well.”

“I have been keeping busy,” Walt nodded. “My granddaughter recently awakened to her magic,” he smiled. “She’s been very happy, although the cold has been taking its toll on my old bones.”

“I wish I knew some fire magic to help with that,” Lyn lamented.

“Ah, you have no need to worry about that,” Walt chuckled. “A few of our maids have been doing that for me. Speaking of, girls,” he clapped his hands as a few women in maid attire emerged from the manor. “Please take our guests and their belongings to their rooms,” the maids nodded, approaching the carriage to unload it. “As for you two, I shall see you later. I have some things to attend to,” he bowed.

“Who was that?” Relia asked.

“An old friend,” Lyn explained. “He used to watch over your mother when she was younger.”

“I see,” Relia nodded. “I should ask him about her later,” she smiled .

“Excuse me, miss,” one of the maids approached her. “If you would follow me,” she smiled. “We’ll show you to your rooms.”

“Of course, thank you,” Relia smiled back as she followed her into the large building.

The manor’s façade was aged yet glowing with an almost youthful brilliance, with well cared for walls that were filled with a vibrant and saturated yellow hue. Vines of ivy crawled upon its surface completing its refined appearance. The interior in turn exceeded the brilliant appearance outside, as a sparkling foyer expanded before the group, reminding Relia of her own childhood home, plenty large enough for a sizable meeting, or even a dance. Her face heated up as she considered dancing with Elesa in such a lovely location, a smile which quickly gave way to a frown as they ventured deeper into the manor, Relia’s heart craving her lover’s gentle touch.

Relia felt a familiar tap on her shoulder as Lyn’s wing gently wrapped around her. “We’re going to be fine,” Lyn smiled.

“Yeah,” Relia nodded. “We should make the best of this.”

“Make the best of it?” one of the two maids escorting them asked.

“Yeah,” Relia nodded. “Truth be told, I didn’t exactly want to come here, no offence.”

“None taken,” the maid chuckled.

“But maybe I should try to enjoy our time here,” Relia mustered a smile.

“I certainly hope so,” the maid laughed. “We don’t get many guests here. And it’s nice to have some again.”

“Really? That’s a shame,” Relia commented. “It’s so beautiful here.”

“Yes, but we have to keep it a secret, for situations like this,” the maid shrugged. “It’s pleasant though,” she chuckled.

“Is it? I’d imagine it would get quite boring without coming and going.”

“I can see how you’d think that from the outside,” the maid chuckled. “But honestly, there’s plenty to do around here. Aside from general maintenance, there’s the forest to the North, and a small town to the South some of us occasionally visit.”

“I see,” Relia nodded. “But that can’t be all there is to do around here, is there?”

“Oh, we do plenty of things for fun,” another maid grinned. “The library is full of all sorts of books, and we have a book club. Some of the chefs sometimes teach us how to cook, there’s the field out back where we play all sorts of sports,” she excitedly rattled off. “Anya makes all sorts of fun activities for us,” she looked to the first made who nodded pridefully.

“Oh my, that does sound fun,” Relia giggled as they approached a pair of doors.

“We’ll give you the full tour later,” the first maid, Anya smiled. “Trini and I have somethings we have to do,” she looked to her colleague

“Yes, we have to go take care of your luggage,” Trini nodded. “In the meantime, go ahead a make yourselves at home. These will be your rooms,” she pointed to the doors.

“Thank you, both of you,” Relia gave a small bow, Lyn giving a more pronounced one.

“You seem to be in higher spirits,” Lyn smiled.

“Yeah,” Relia nodded. “I still wish I was back home with Elesa and the others, but I think I’ll be okay. This place is pretty nice,” she smiled. Lyn nodding at her enthusiastic smile.

* * *

“That’s enough now dear,” an elderly man’s voice chuckled. “You’ll drown the poor things that way.”

“Oh, sorry,” Relia apologized as she collapsed her fingers back to her palm. Immediately, the flow of mana ceased and her spell ended as a handful of droplets pattered onto the ground. “I guess I got caught up in reminiscing,” she blushed.

“No need to apologize,” the wrinkled man gave a bright smile. “I greatly appreciate the help. My old bones are getting a little too old to go around and water all of the plants. I must say though, it was really quite creative of you to create a shower of water like that.”

“You say that every time I do it,” Relia giggled. “And like I keep saying, it’s not a difficult spell. It took a bit to figure out how to manipulate the pressure and angle, but…”

“There you go again,” the old man laughed. “I’ll keep saying it because it’s true. And no matter how many times you try to explain it, I’m never really going to comprehend how your magic works. I don’t understand most of what you witches do after all.”

“Sorry,” Relia frowned.

“No need to apologize. If anything, it makes it all the more impressive to me,” he grinned.

“Thank you, Mort,” said Relia. “And thank you for teaching me all of these interesting things about gardening.”

“Aww, it’s no big deal. You’ve been a big help. If anything, I wish I could do more to pay you back.”

“I’ve learned plenty for that,” Relia smiled. “Not just from learning how to garden, but…”

“It’s watching the plants that has inspired you to develop new techniques. You keep saying that, but I don’t think mere inspiration is appropriate payment,” he sighed.

“Well, we will simply have to disagree on that then,” Relia giggled as she looked upon the garden. The thick walls of bushy plants, the bright flowers populating the yard, the sprawling vines that climbed the wall, it was all so incredible. What may have been more incredible was how she was beginning to understand it more. Phora had talked about the flow of water in plants before, back when she was still attending classes, but over these past few months, she was finally beginning to understand it, all thanks to Mort’s lessons. It was rather striking how she could learn such vital lessons from such untraditional sources.

She breathed in the nice crisp air, and allowed the moist warm air to heat her body. She was quickly hoping she could at least bring Elesa here to show her the beauty she had seen herself. She frowned. There she went again, catching herself on thoughts of her girlfriend. While the environment around her was elegant and beautiful, and she had felt rather at home here after much settling in, her heart still ached, pining for her love. She thought often of Elesa and her duties, desperately hoping that she would be able to see her again.

“Good morning,” another voice intruded, sending a cool shiver down Relia’s back. She turned to face it, seeing Lyn entering the garden. “Hello, little mistress, Sir Mort.”

“Good morn to you too, Lady Lyndia,” Mort smiled. “To what do I owe the surprise?”

“Not much. I’m here to speak to Relia,” she explained, her wings seeming to relax to her sides.

“Is there something wrong?” Relia asked.

“Not exactly,” Relia shook her head. “Rather, I got a letter from the Queen today.”

“The Queen?” Relia blinked. “Please tell me what it said!” she requested excitedly.

“It did not say much I’m afraid,” the dracna frowned. “However, she has summoned me back to the castle. With any luck though, it may be good news, but that said, it could be bad news as well.”

“I understand,” Relia nodded. “I’ll go prepare my things, and…”

“Actually,” Lyn frowned. “She requested you stay here,” her wings drooped.

“Oh…”

“I know that this must be disappointing,” Lyn approached, holding Relia’s cheek in her hand, wiping away a few breaching tears. “But I’ll be sure to be quick. I’ll be back soon, and hopefully by then, we’ll be able to go home.”

“I suppose you should go get ready then,” Mort frowned. “It’s a rather lengthy ride back to the city.”

“Actually, I’m intending to fly,” Lyn smiled. “I should be able to reach there by nightfall that way. I ask that you watch out for her in the meantime.”

“Of course, Lyndia,” Mort smiled.

“I’ll be back soon,” Lyn wrapped her wings around Relia as the girl hugged her.

Relia quietly followed behind Lyn as she made her final preparations and bid her trusted friend farewell, desperately hiding the building sorrow in her heart. First, she had to be separated from her friends and girlfriend, now she had to say goodbye to one of her oldest friends? While her mind tried to tell her it was temporary, her heart writhed with pain, only intensifying as Lyn flew into the sky and disappeared into the horizon, the image sticking in her mind long after she disappeared into the distance.

“Please be sure to eat your supper,” Walt pleaded.

“Huh?” Relia looked to him then back to the plate in front of her, a lavish dish of chicken stuffed with cheese and ham resting before her, as roasted vegetables lay around it. “Oh, right,” she stuck her fork into the chicken, slowly digging into it with her knife before cutting it free and bringing it to her mouth. She bit down, the warm juices covering her mouth with a delectable mix of seasoning and perfectly cooked juices. Tears began to drip form her cheeks as she took another bite, and then another, until she finally broke into tears.

“There, there, Miss Relia,” Walt massaged her back. “Trini, could you escort her back to her room?”

“Of course,” the maid nodded. “Here, you can lean on me, Relia,” she offered her shoulder as they passed the sad faces of the other maids, even noticing a few of the chefs pass them by. “I’m sorry everything’s been so difficult for you,” Trini said.

“I’m sorry,” Relia wept. “You’ve all been so kind to me, and I just…”

“There’s no need to apologize,” Trini gave a soft smile. “If I’m being honest, we try our best to make as warm and casual a place we can, because so many of our visitors feel like you do now. Lost, afraid, lonely,” she dropped her gaze. “But I want you to know, we’re here for you. We care about you and want to support you, okay?” she smiled.

Relia nodded as they approached her room. “Thank you, Trini, for everything.”

“Of course,” Trini nodded. “Now get some rest. We’ll be here if you need anything,” she said as Relia entered her room. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight,” Relia smiled as the door closed behind her. She took a deep breath as she sat. She looked out the window and gazed upon the stars, thinking back to the lessons Elesa had taught her. The constellations and tales of ancient heroes and gods that had long since left this world. Of giants, angels, demons, and fairies of great power. A warm sense of nostalgia swept across her as she continued to yearn for her lover. “Elesa,” she stroked her bracelet mournfully. She lay quietly looking out the window, her mind playing tricks as will-o-wisps danced in the distance, deciding to allow her mind to heed the welcoming embrace of the siren of sleep.

And yet, before she could enter the siren’s thrall, a loud bang came from her door. “Lady Relia!” Walt’s voice boomed from the other side before it swung open. “Get up!”

“What’s wrong?” Relia asked confusedly.

“I don’t know how they found it, but intruders have invaded the manor!” Walt explained, shocking her. “Quickly, get up. We have to get you somewhere safe!”

“But what of the others?” she ran to the door.

“Do not think of them right now,” Walt shook his head. “Now come!” he grabbed her hand and pulled her down the hall. Relia struggled to keep up as Walt seemed to forcibly drag her down the hall. As they passed by other hallways she could hear the clang of steel and shrieks of pain. “We’re here,” Walt brought them to a wall, pulling a pendant from his coat and slamming it against the wall, causing it to morph, a door forming at its center. “I need you to listen to me carefully,” Walt looked to her, placing the pendant in her hand. “Go through this door and place the pendant against it from the other side to conceal it again. Then from there, climb the stairs and follow the hallway at the top. You’ll find a room there with a bed, food, and water. Stay there until you hear four knocks from one of the walls. That will be your signal. If you know any spells to scan the outside, do so to confirm it’s someone you can trust, and then use the pendant to reveal another door. Do not leave until that happens, do you understand?”

“I…” Relia stood there in shock.

“Relia!”

“R-right,” Relia nodded. “Use the pendant to hide the door, then go to the top to the secret chamber and wait there for the signal, four knocks.”

“Good,” Walt smiled. “If you forget, the pendant has instructions inside it, as do some of the drawers in the room. Be careful,” he stepped back.

“But, what’s going to happen to all of you?” Relia asked.

“We’ll fight them off until it’s safe, or until help arrives,” Walt explained. “But do not worry about us. We all took these roles knowing this may one day happen. We’ll protect you,” he smiled.

“But I…” Relia whimpered. “I don’t want that. I don’t want you all…”

“Lady Relia,” Walt held her cheek, the girl looking up to him. “Please. You must survive. You have someone waiting for you, don’t you?” he asked, as Elesa flashed through her mind. Relia nodded. “Then you know what you must do.”

“Right,” Relia answered as she answered the door looking to Walt one last time. “Be careful, and please don’t die,” she pleaded, Walt nodding as she shut the door. She followed his instructions, placing the pendant to the door as its magic erased the door, replacing it with a plain wall. “Please, don’t die,” she cried. “Not for me.”

She trembled, resisting the urge to collapse into tears, and followed the butler’s instructions, entering the mysterious space. It was like a tower fused with a library. A series of stairways leading to the top of the building, while each wall was filled with a bookcase crammed with books, many of which full of ancient dust and even more ancient text and knowledge. She would have desired to peruse the mysterious library, had it been under different circumstances. At long last, she arrived at the top, and just as Walt had described, a single corridor lay before her, beckoning her into its dim depths. She quietly stepped into it, finding a well lit room at its end, a bright white door dividing it from the hall. It seemed perfectly designed to set the mind at ease in an effort to combat the hopeless feeling that was invading her. It just might have succeeded had it not been for the horrid sounds beyond the walls.

Screams, bangs, and the eruption of magics of all sorts boomed through the tiny room, piercing her with anguish. What was happening? Was it the knights of Luxur? No, that couldn’t be… could it? But who else would be attacking this place? She felt like vanishing as the cacophony continued, tremendous guilt building in her heart. She was responsible, wasn’t she? For each individual person who died, for each drop of blood being spilled. If she had just never come to Ethnerta, then none of this would have happened. Had she just resisted…

Her gaze dropped to her bracelet, Elesa’s words echoing in her head, until they grew into a roar that shook her very soul. She didn’t decide this. She didn’t ask for this. She wasn’t the one killing people, and she never asked anyone to do this for her. She grasped her bracelet, trying her best to ground herself. “I won’t blame myself,” she whimpered. “But I will not just be a bystander in my own fate either,” her voice began to swell. She looked to the wall, noticing the sound beginning to fade. “I won’t let them die like this,” she rose to her feet and took the pendant into her hand then bringing it to the wall, summoning the door before her. She grasped the doorknob and turned it, pushing it open.

She immediately regretted it. Her heart’s resolve shuddered and collapsed as the scent of carnage and death invaded her body. She lost her ability to focus, the bloody mess around her melting into a horrible yet indecipherable collage or horror, blurring before her as she desperately sought something or someone to make sense of the scene of terror. Her eyes fell upon a familiar figure, her heart trembling again, this time with a resigned sense of disappointment and sorrow. The man towered before her, irrefutable proof to the truth of her situation, and the inescapable reality she wanted to be untrue.

“Z-Zerto?” Relia trembled as she watched the man stand before her, his sword dipping with crimson droplets. She looked around him the room finally coming back into focus as she witnessed lifeless bodies of the people who helped her. Her mind flashed to the kind maids as Trini’s body slumped against the wall. The cooks who fed her, as the one who served her just this morning was left staring into the ceiling. Tears escaped her as gentle old Mort’s body littered the floor. Even Walt’s deceased form had been thrown aside like a lifeless doll, a red stain overtaking his white undershirt. The many warm faces that accepted her for who she was, cluttered the floor as it filled with their blood. She trembled, grasping at her mouth as her stomach revolted at the scene before her. “W-why…?” she began to cry.

“I have come to fetch you,” Zerto answered, as he looked at her with a smile.  It was a familiar smile, gentle and soft, or at least that’s how she saw it before. Now though, it seemed hollow and cruel, disturbing and conniving, completed by the splatter of blood on his cheek. That kindness she once knew, she had to question if it was ever true at all. Was this a manipulative façade that he was giving her now? Was a single one of them ever genuine? “It is time for me to take you home my friend, and we can remove this unsightly curse from you.”

“Why?” she asked. “Why did you hurt them? Why did you kill them?” her trembling voice began to rise. “They were kind and caring. They helped me. They supported me. So why? Why did you kill them? Why did you murder them!?” she demanded.

“Helped you?” Zerto blinked and then he sighed. “I see. I hadn’t expected their hex to pervert you so much.”

“Pervert me…?” she whimpered.

“That is what I said,” he looked at her coldly. “This curse has evidently perverted you. It did not stop at stealing your strength or form, no? This vile sentimentality, it has not only made you weak but it evidently it made you subservient to these abominations.”

“Abominations?” Relia repeated. “They were people, Zerto. Like you and me! They had lives. They had families. They had dreams, and desires. They were kind and caring, and…”

“It is time you woke up,” Zerto snapped, Relia realizing he had come right before her. “Stop this repulsive charade,” he grabbed her wrist.

“Stop!” she resisted. “Let go of me!”

“This is what I am talking about,” Zerto growled. “They’ve turned you into this waifish thing, contorted your mind, and bent you to their will. Corrupting you with this useless compassion. Forcing you to admire and worship these inhuman creatures. You would be agreeing with me if you were still your old self.”

She shuddered at the thought and slumped a bit. “Yeah. You might be right. I might have agreed back then,” her voice fell to a hush. She had believed in him back then. Believed his words, his ideas. Accepted them and saw them as true. “I didn’t really understand anything back then, but…,” she gripped her hand, “but they were innocent. They were defenseless people, just living their lives,” she glared into Zerto’s eyes. “No,” she recalled Viren and how he attempted to coerce that maid. She recalled all the times she saw and challenged her fellow’s injustice. Their desire to harm others and her growing discomfort with their actions. “No,” she denied, “not even then! I wouldn’t have agreed with you back then! I would have been disgusted with this even if I thought of myself as your ally!”

Zerto blinked. “What?”

“I hate you, who you are, who you’ve become, all of it!” she shouted. “You aren’t the kind man I once called my friend. No, not even that, you were never that man to begin with, were you!? You aren’t my ally or my friend! You never were! Not really! I was just a tool to you! You’re the monster here! No one else!”

“That’s enough,” Zerto grumbled as his expression sank into shadows. He grabbed at her again, pulling her behind him.

“Let me go!” Relia shouted.

“I am taking you home and restoring my friend back to who he is supposed to be,” he grumbled to himself, Relia cringed as she struggled against his grasp. Finally finding an opening, she pulled herself free of his grasp. Zerto spun around to see her dart off, meeting her fiery furious eyes.

“This is who I’m supposed to be,” she retorted. “This is me. This is who I am,” she brought her hand to her chest. “I’m a woman Zerto. I’m happy this way,” she declared. “Why can’t you see that!? Why can’t you see any of this!?”

“Nonsense. What happiness is there in being corrupted like this?”

Relia prepared her argument and then swallowed it. “I don’t have to explain myself to you! Not after all you’ve done!” she yelled. “I just wanted you to be happy for me. Happy that your friend was happy. But… It’s just like Veria said,” she whimpered.

“What was that?” he glared at her. “My sister?”

“I didn’t want to believe it back then,” she cried. “I wanted to hope that maybe she was wrong, that you’d understand, but…” she returned her blazing glare to him. “Why couldn’t you just be happy for me? Why can’t you just accept me for who I am?”

“Because this,” he pointed to her, “is a lie. This is not who you are.”

“You don’t get to decide that!” she snapped back, trembling with anger. “After I came to Ethnerta, I was finally able to be happy,” she continued to cry. “I finally got to be me. Happy and free to finally enjoy my life! No more lies. No more hiding. No more deceiving myself. Living as myself surrounded by people who love and support me. People who see me for who I am and want the best for me! You don’t get to just show up here and tell me that’s a lie!” she shouted. “I’m not going back to that miserable life again!”

“I will have my friend back,” he snarled, lunging at her. He winced as his hand was countered by a long slender weapon. He gritted his teeth as he pushed back the sudden force of the weapon, narrowly dodging its pointed tip. Before him had emerged a woman, with long dark golden hair, a pair of curls bouncing around her face. “And who are you supposed to be?”

“Your opponent,” the woman answered resolutely.

“Elesa!” Relia cried out. “How…?”

“It’ll be okay, my love,” Elesa passed her a kind smile. “I’m sorry for being late.”

“So, I take it you’re the witch who cursed him,” Zerto growled, turning his attention to Relia. “Get away from her, Bran.”

Elesa’s eyes flew open in rage. “Her name is Relia!” she declared as she ran at him. Zerto raised his sword to counter her lance, standing firmly in place. He flinched as the woman suddenly stopped, swiping her lance upon the ground. His eyes grew wide as he noticed a circle engraved upon the ground, sparks of lightning forming symbols within it.

“Grant me thy power and strike my foe with your blinding might! Lumero!” she declared, a pulse of energy surging above the magic circle, and bright light enveloping the room before striking at Zerto’s chest, flinging him backward. He blinked a couple times as he tried to wipe the unholy light from his eyes, his sight returning in a haze to see the witch at the other end of the hall holding his former friend, holding Relia. He blinked in confusion as he witnessed them kiss.

Elesa pulled away and gave Relia a doting look. “I’m glad you’re safe.”

“Me too,” Relia smiled. “Thank you for coming to save me.”

“Of course,” Elesa clutched Relia’s bracelet. “I’ll never let go of you again,” she smiled.

“You!” Zerto roared. Summoning their attention.

“Your highness,” a voice echoed from down the hall as soldiers began entering the hall, forming a protective barrier around their prince. “She’s dangerous. We’ll handle her.”

“Wait a moment, is that…” one of the flanking knights, a Lumina Knight, looked at pair of witches. “Bran?”

“More of them,” Elesa grumbled. The two glanced behind themselves as a the banging sound of yet more soldiers approached from behind.

“We’re going to be surrounded,” Relia trembled.

“I’ll make sure you pay for those you killed here tonight,” Elesa gave him a furious glare as she readied her lance.

“We both will,” Relia gripped her hand. “But please… I can’t stand to be here any longer,” her heartbroken gaze lingered upon the corpses around them.

“I understand,” Elesa nodded, holding Relia’s cheek in her hand before kissing her forehead. “We’ll finish this later,” she glared at the prince before swiping her lance against the ground once more, the lightning etching more symbols as she leaned towards Relia, enveloping her lips once more. Light erupted from the circle, and whisked them away, leaving the angered prince roaring in his rage.

As the two vanished into the light, they heard a scream. Or perhaps it was a yell, or even the feral roar of a beast. It echoed in their ears as they left the manor behind, an enraged prince left to roar in anger at the night sky.

15