Chapter 15: The Cruel Crown
1.1k 11 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
As I discussed in the last chapter, I've been considering a week long break, and I've decided to follow through with that plan. I came into a few new ideas the last few days (in part because of my excellent editor) and I think I can make the last batch of chapters much better.

However, a bonus thing I am currently considering is posting the beta chapters onto Patreon after the book is concluded so that Patrons can see what changed and what the original ending would've looked like. (I have a poll going on Patreon to decide this currently). Additionally I'll be posting a small spin off story set in the world of Prism Girls onto Patreon to make up for the missing week that will be exclusive to there for a limited time.

Finally, I will be traveling in a few weeks, though that shouldn't affect chapters being posted, aside from them potentially being late.

Thank you all for your patience, and I'll see you all on September 5th!

Read up to 3 chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Content Warning:

Spoiler

This chapter depicts violence, abuse, misgendering, deadnaming, and implications of rape and mind control.

[collapse]

She clung to her love with all her might, hugging her with all her meek strength as her frightened and panicked arms shook from fright. “Elesa,” Relia whimpered. Elesa stroked her hair with gentle care as the girl cried into her chest.

“There, there,” Elesa whispered. “You’re safe now. He can’t get you here.”

“B-but…” Relia hiccupped. “I don’t… I don’t understand. How did he…? Why did he…? They… They just wanted to help me… Why did he kill them?”

“I don’t know,” Elesa lamented. “But it’s not your fault. You know that right?”

“Y-yeah,” Relia answered with a hesitant nod. “But… how did you know?”

“It was Lyn,” Elesa answered. “She arrived, saying that she had received a summons from the Queen. But Queen Rosaria sent no such summons.”

“W-what…?”

“I know. She was shocked too,” Elesa frowned. “Everyone was confused. I panicked and… I convinced Lubella to tell me where you were,” her expression sank with regret. “I then used my magic to teleport to Ivy Manor…” she began to tear up. “Thank goodness I made it in time,” she cried as she hugged Relia tightly. “I was so worried.”

“Thank you, Elesa,” Relia hugged her back. She looked around, seeing the comforting furniture of their room, their cozy bed, her warm wooden desk, the familiar mirror reflecting their hug; she sank deeper into Elesa’s embrace. She was home. She was safe. And it was all thanks to the woman who saved her, the woman who held her delicate heart.

Elesa pulled away, Relia softly pouting as her comfort came to an end. She pulled at Elesa, desperately clinging to her. “Hey now,” Elesa chuckled.

“Please, you promised,” Relia whimpered. “You wouldn’t let me go.”

“I know,” Elesa smiled. “But wouldn’t it be nice to change into something more comfortable?” she pointed to Relia’s messy nightgown.

“I guess,” Relia softly nodded.

“How about this, we both get changed, then I’ll hold you all night, okay?” Elesa’s smile was warm and radiant, and her offer was too good for the girl in her arms to pass up. Relia nodded, finally relinquishing her love… if only for a moment, although she was far from pleased to do so. “That’s a good girl,” Elesa gently stroked Relia’s cheek, summoning a smile to her lips. “Come on, let’s get changed.”

The two eagerly did as Elesa suggested, ridding themselves of the garb that the horrid night’s memory had clung to, and donning the soft fabrics of their familiar gowns. The two smiled to the other as they admired the lovely curves of the other, cherishing the familiar sight finally returning to the other. They moved to hold each other, removing their hands only to pull themselves under the soft cover of their bed before sinking into each other’s warmth.

* * *

Relia looked on at the familiar stone walls of the castle, a mixture of hesitation and comfort fighting in her heart. Her mind flashed to the last time she was here and the horrible news of Zerto’s war, then her heartbreaking departure, followed by the manor… her heart sank. Yet, it was lifted as the comforting memories of her life swelled in her mind, and the woman who had befriended her within its walls. She took a deep breath, heading inside, Elesa following close behind.

Familiar faces passed by, some giving gleeful smiles and greeting her back, while others looked upon her with pity. She marched on through the pain. Elesa slowly began to take the lead as they approached the palace. They entered the calm purple chamber, the room bustling with all manner of people running back and forth with messages and plans for the war effort. It was so much busier than before, tinging the comforting room with a sense of anxiety. At the center of the room, surrounded by many of said agents was a woman she recognized well, a gentle smile crossing her lips as she eyed Lubella. The princess looked to her and smiled back, only for it to twist with confusion as Elesa continued towards her.

Elesa growled as she approached Lubella, the princess eyed her with concern before shock glinted in her eyes as the woman’s hand raised into the air. The sound of impact tore through the air, as Elesa smacked Lubella across the cheek. The collection of people in the room looked upon them in shock as they processed what had happened. Relia blinked then ran to Elesa’s side, holding her arm back.

“Elesa!” Relia looked to her frightfully.

“I can’t believe you,” Elesa snapped at Lubella, as she held her cheek. “You said she’d be safe!” her hands curled into fists. “No one was supposed to know. I didn’t know. And look where it got her,” her voice trembled. “She was attacked. She was almost taken,” her voice shook as tears rolled down her face. “We… I almost lost her.”

“I’m sorry,” Lubella looked down. “We…” she shook her head. “I thought she’d be safe there. She was supposed to be,” she trembled. “I didn’t mean for her to be put into danger like that.”

“You’re sorry? That’s all you have to say!?” Elesa shouted.

“Elesa!” Relia grabbed at her pleadingly.

“I almost lost her, Lubella!” she repeated with a yell. “Because of your request! And all you have to say is you’re sorry!? Do you have any idea…”

“She’s my friend too!” Lubella snapped, Elesa blinking in shock. “Don’t you think I’m upset too!? Relia,” she looked to her before looking back to Elesa, “she’s one of my best friends. I did everything to try and make sure she was safe. I only sent her there because it was the only place that I’d be safe going to in that situation. I…” she sniffled. “I had no idea she’d be in danger there. I thought the kingdom would sooner fall than have her discovered. I’m sorry, but that’s all I can offer you,” she sobbed.

Elesa frowned and sighed. “No, I’m sorry,” she looked to her crying friend. “I got so caught up in my own frustration of being apart from her, and blaming you for that, that I forgot that you feel about her too,” she relaxed. “Thinking about it, if you knew that place, you must’ve known the people working there too.”

Lubella nodded. “I did. They were all lovely and wonderful people. Some of them even cared for me when I was younger. To hear that they’ve all been slain… I feel wretched for even sending them there.”

“I’m sorry,” Elesa looked away. “I’ve been really inconsiderate, huh?”

“It’s to be expected,” Lubella admitted. “We’re both feeling hurt, I imagine I’d be just as furious,” she chuckled. “Frankly, I’m surprised all you did was slap me. I would’ve casted a lightning bolt or the like if I were in your position.”

“Admittedly, I had half a mind to,” Elesa chuckled. “But, please, I have to know. Why did this happen?”

Lubella scowled, her fist tightening with anger. “A traitor.”

“A traitor?” Relia and Elesa repeated.

“You never knew him, but he was a knight who was working for us,” Lubella’s voice filled with venom. “Goren. He seemed to be a lazy lout, but in the end he seems to have a penchant for sniffing around where he’s not wanted. He somehow snuck into mother’s secret records and discovered a few files, Ivy Manor’s location among them, along with the staff’s recent summons for duty. He stopped reporting for duty a little over a week ago, and…”

“He sold her out to Zerto,” Elesa growled. “The bastard. He’ll be lucky if he never meets me.”

“Um,” Relia mumbled, the two looking to her.

“Sorry, Rel,” Elesa looked at her sadly. “I… I didn’t mean to…”

“It’s okay,” Relia shook her head. “I’m just glad you two are okay now,” she smiled, the two giving a firm nod. “But… I hate to ask, but what is the situation with…” she grimaced, “…Zerto’s invasion.”

Lubella frowned, Elesa stepping in front of Relia. “I haven’t told her yet.”

“Told me what?”

“Relia, you have to understand, Luxur has been at odds with Ethnerta since long before any of us were born. They’ve always been looking for an excuse to invade, but…” Elesa explained.

“I already know all that,” Relia interrupted. “Luxur… they think Ethnerta is a land of evil ruled by…” she gripped her hands, “by malicious witches.”

“Right,” Elesa nodded. “But they’ve never made a move because they’ve been afraid of our power.”

“Right?”

“Well, things are different this time,” Lubella frowned.

“Different how?”

“Think about it,” Elesa looked to her, “how was he able to cut through the manor’s staff so easily?” Relia blinked, her look becoming perplexed. “Yeah, and they’ve been… causing problems elsewhere too,” she sighed. “I didn’t mean to hide it from you, but the war hasn’t been going well.”

“They have some sort of weapon,” Lubella grimaced. “A type of glowing steel that they’ve apparently taken to calling ‘Witchbane.’ It has the power to sever the flow of mana in a witch.” Relia shivered.

“Sever the flow?” Relia’s voice shook. The thought horrified her. What if…

“Calm down,” Elesa’s calm touch relaxed her. “It’s damaging, but it’s not permanent. And you don’t have to worry. It can’t reverse our awakening,” Relia relaxed.

“What it does mean, however, is that it can stop us from using our magic for a time. It takes time to heal, but we can recover from it. However…” she took a deep breath, “it also renders us defenseless if they strike us under that condition.”

“Th-then you mean…” Relia’s mind flashed back to the manor, the memory of that horrid scene and its sickly smell igniting in her mind. “How many people have died at your hands, Zerto?” her eyes filled with tears. “How many more will perish to satiate your reprehensible bloodlust?”

* * *

As if to answer her question, the following months would continue on as the shadows of death continued to cast along the kingdom. Relia’s stomach churned as it seemed more and more days would report the same. A village here, another there, each with innocent blood sinking into the land. Ethnerta’s army moved again and again, in a vain hope to stop their enemy, only to meet a further escalation of force.

The once fair lands which teemed with life had become scarred by cannon fire. The people’s horror sank deeper as their enemy used their ‘witchbane’ to scar the earth itself, severing the mana of the land itself, declarations of purifying the land of the witch’s blight. Before long, the Southern border became a land a decrepit land that the highest botanical witches could only speculate would require decades to recover.

Relia could only take a deep breath of regret as she fought the desire to blame herself once more. She quietly watched the brown leaves fall, something that brought her comfort in the past, but now… now it simply reminded her of the death looming over the kingdom.

“Relia,” Elesa frowned as she looked upon her forlorn love sitting beside her. “You’ve become so quiet lately,” she sighed.

“I’m sorry,” she sighed.

“It’s not your fault,” Elesa reassured her as she pulled her into a side hug, Relia quietly sinking into the embrace. She quietly lay there, seeking comfort from the woman she loved and the mana that seemed to flow around them.

However, there was something wrong. The familiar flow suddenly became disjointed and uneven. She instinctively extended her own mana outward, an ability she had nurtured over her years of training. A peaceful spell, Guiding Waves, which could guide others and give herself insight. Yet its soothing effects seemed to twist with disgust and horror at something, a horror… a pain. Her eyes flew open as she rose from Elesa’s lap. Something was disturbingly wrong. She trembled in horror. “Relia?” Elesa gasped her hand. “What’s wrong? Do you feel something?”

“They’re here,” Relia choked. “Goddess, please,” she pleaded. “Why? Why are they here?”

Elesa held her. “You mean?” Relia’s trembles only confirmed her fears. “Come on then, we have to get to the castle.”

“But…” Relia hesitated. That horrid thought crossed her mind again. Perhaps if she surrendered herself. Perhaps if she gave up, then…

“Relia, please,” Elesa looked to her. “We’re not safe here.” Relia looked into Elesa’s desperate eyes, her doubts sinking into them, and her resolve returning. She nodded, the two beginning to run through the familiar streets. It didn’t take long for them to hear those familiar clangs ring through the city. Each ring made Relia cringe more and more. She hated the sound. She despised the horrible things that followed that vile sound. It almost made her freeze in place from the gripping disgust, but she refused to stay still.

The streets were in disarray as people wildly ran for what cover they could. Their homes were where some chose to hide. Some dug away into their cellars, and others sought the higher ground, or fled the city altogether. Yet some, like themselves, headed for the castle, only to be met by an equally ill fate. Relia’s feet were forced to slow, as her hurried pants became heavy breaths of anxious despair as familiar malicious eyes landed upon her, Elesa desperately trying to hold her up as she traded glares with the soldiers barring their path.

“I-is that…?” one of the soldiers looked toward Relia. She recognized the armor. One of them was a Lumina Knight, but the other three were different. They weren’t mere soldiers. They bore a different type of armor, a sort she once wore as well. “Bran?” one of them looked as she cringed. One of the soldiers removed his helm to reveal the face of a young man, his short brown hair landing just above his ears. She was certain many girls in the kingdom would swoon over him, just as they had when they were younger.

“Arstis,” her voice trembled.

“It is you,” he smiled. He then looked to Elesa, reaching for his blade. “Don’t worry, we’ll free you.”

“You’re not laying a finger on her!” Elesa snarled.

“Heh, we get to slaughter another witch, eh?” another chuckled. She recognized the haughty voice anywhere. The group’s muscle Kergo.

“Helena, leave this one to us,” a refined voice answered, one that surely belonged to Rald. “This is personal.”

“Personal!?” a familiar woman’s voice snapped. “Bran’s my friend too, Rald! I’m not letting you do this without me!”

“Helena,” Relia's voice trembled.

“We’ll save you, promise,” Helena’s soft voice answered before she turned to Elesa, who quietly began to gather lightning in her palms.

“Careful, it’s using magic,” Arstis instructed as they wielded a set of glowing blades, Relia’s eyes growing wide with horror. “Just like before,” the four fanned out, Elesa grimacing as she realized how vulnerable their formation left the pair. Relia took a deep breath hoping to calm herself.

“Oh, mighty waves,” Relia whispered. “Flow to and frow. Wrap around, with wall of foam. Thicken and tighten with frosted glass,” she chanted. Elesa passed her a knowing nod then shifted to the two on her left, shooting a pair of bolts at the helmed Rald and Kergo, forcing them to the ground. In that moment the other two dashed ahead, their glowing blades aimed at Elesa’s chest. “Aquell!” Relia shouted, a swell of water forming and catching the blades, the duo flinching in shock. “Froll!” Relia called, the water freezing into a solid wall of ice, capturing Arstis’s arm in its frigid grasp.

“Good job, Relia,” Elesa smiled, Relia nodding.

“Let’s go,” Relia said. The two weaved through the opening in the formation, dashing for the castle.

“Bran! Wait!” Arstis shouted as they ran past. “Helena!” he looked to the stunned knightess. “What the hell are you doing!?” as she gawked. “Get after them!”

“Relia?” Helena repeated, she looked to Arstis and nodded. “Right!”

The echoes of her former allies faded into the cacophony behind them as Relia and Elesa barreled towards the castle gates. As the gates came into view, horror gripped the two as they witnessed Luxur’s soldiers battling Enzera’s knights. Sparks and embers of spells erupted into the air, carried on powerful gales as witches fought back upon the impending steel of their enemies. Yet for some it was clearly too late, as punctuated by the stomach-churning scent of blood carried by the breeze crossing through the city.

All at once, Relia’s doubts crashed down upon her as despair grappled her downward. “Relia!” Elesa called out as she caught the girl. She grabbed at her chest as another name rang in her head. A name she had left behind, one she had not heard for year. Yet it continued to claw at her, edging the blades of doubt piercing into her.

“Why?” she pleaded. “Why is this happening? Do they hate me that much?”

“Relia…”

“I don’t understand. None of this makes any sense to me,” she cried as Elesa held her close, allowing the tears to stream down her chest.

The dreadful sound of stamping steel barreled toward them, Relia cringing as Elesa turned to face their adversary. Relia quivered upon seeing the Lumina Knight standing before them. Elesa readied herself for combat, only to be met by the knight slowly relaxing, then removing her helmet, Helena’s face revealed, as her honey like locks fell upon her shoulders. She frowned as she looked upon Relia, who only shivered upon her glance.

“I won’t let you hurt her,” Elesa snapped.

“Me?” Helena blinked. “But you’re the ones who…” she looked upon Relia, the knight hesitating as she looked upon the frail girl. “He… he didn’t used to be…” she tried to deny.

“She!” Elesa shouted. “What do you even know about her!? What right do you have to tell her who she should be!? What do you even know about witches like us!?”

“Witches like…” Helena flinched and then seemed to deflate. She eyed the girl quietly clinging to Elesa watching her movements as she processed the reality unfolding before her. “Then he…” she shook her head. “She’s really a witch?” Relia quietly nodded through her tears. “Then what are we…”

“Do not believe the witch’s lies!” a prideful voice boomed, the three turning to face Zerto as he stamped toward them, Relia looking upon him in horror. “They’re liars Helena, remember that. Nothing more than deceitful monsters who corrupt others for their amusement. Monsters who thrive upon harm.”

Anger flashed through Relia. “Shut up!” Relia shouted, light coursing into her palm, before unleashing towards Zerto. He cringed as he gripped his arm in pain, Helena and looking upon Relia with shock. “We aren’t monsters!” Relia cried. “We just wanted to live in peace. And you took that away! And for what!? Because you couldn’t accept me!? How many people have you killed? How many people have suffered for your petty grudge?”

“Insolent!” Zerto growled. “I came here to save you!”

“I don’t want to be saved!” Relia countered. “Least of all by a monster like you!”

Zerto’s eyes lit with rage as he rose from the ground. “I will not listen to these putrid lies. I will take you home!”

“B-but your highness…” Helena attempted to say, only to be hushed by his enraged glare.

“These witches will not keep you from me! And I’ll be sure that they do not taint another person ever again!” he roared as he began to charge towards them. He was stopped as a series of large roots erupted from the ground and forced him to the ground.

“Sis!” a young woman’s voice called as Phordata arrived. “We’re here!”

“Phora,” Elesa smiled as she saw her sister arrive with a group of other witches, Corva, Lancia, Lubella, and Queen Rosaria herself.

“So, you’re the putrid princeling who has brought this ruin upon my people,” Rosaria glared at Zerto.

“Silence, witch!” Zerto growled. “Death is a better fate than having to serve under your vile rule.”

“Elesa,” Lubella crouched down next to them.

“Lubella,” Elesa smiled. “I’m glad to see you’re safe,” Lubella grimaced, much to her confusion. “What’s wrong?”

“We have a plan,” she frowned, “but you won’t like it.”

“A plan?” Relia asked.

“Elesa, you need to use that spell you’ve been learning. Get as many people out of here as you can,” Lubella instructed.

“Wait, you can’t possibly…” Elesa looked to her in shock.

“Mother… she’s going to do all she can to hold them off. But once everyone’s safe, she intends to…” Lubella’s voice trailed off.

“Lubella?” Relia looked to the princess as Elesa slumped beside her. “Elesa?”

“I understand,” Elesa nodded. “I’ll do everything I can.”

“Wait, what do you mean?” Relia questioned, wiping away her lingering tears. “What’s happening?”

“Relia,” Lubella frowned. “As royalty, we have a duty to do everything we can to protect our people, even at the cost of our lives,” Relia’s eyes grew large. “Mother, she knows a spell that will end this, but the toll is dear. If any other witch is around, then…”

“I’ll do it,” Elesa nodded.

“But…” Relia looked on pleadingly. “No, this can’t… I…”

“Relia,” Elesa held her hand. “It’ll be okay,” she looked up to Lubella, “I’m ready,” Lubella nodded back. “Oh, mighty light, gift of the fae. May your rays guide our way, far from this harm,” light began to stream from Elesa’s hands, winding through the air through the crowds of combatants spreading in all directions.

One by one, their allies were touched by the light and began to fade as they were summoned to some unseen place. The light wove through the nearby houses as it pulled away all, soldier, witch, and civilian alike. Relia watched on as even her friends and teachers began to be whisked away by the magic.

“Elesa!” Phordata called out, rushing to her sister’s side, before a tendril of light coursed through her. “Sis!” she reached out before vanishing as well.

Zerto forced Rosaria back, as she summoned more vines to strike upon the prince. He grimaced as he watched his enemies vanish, whisked away by the light. “What is this devilry, witch!?”

“Heh,” Rosaria chuckled. “Can’t you tell, your victims are slipping away from you. Soon, they’ll all be beyond your grasp,” she looked to the group, nodding at Elesa, who nodded in response. A tendril of light passed through Lubella, who looked toward Rosaria tearfully. “They’ll all be safe from you.”

“Is that so?” Zerto glared. “Then you’ll just have to take their place!” he declared as he charged towards the queen. Rosaria snapped back to the situation, but she was too slow, her loving gaze toward her daughter becoming her death knell as the glowing steel pierced through her, pinning her to the large roots twitching behind her.

“No! NO!” Relia screamed, as Lubella’s fading form watched on in horror. “Queen Rosaria!”

“Your reign has come to an end, witch,” the prince sneered as he plunged his sword deeper into Rosaria.

“M-mother…?” Lubella cried as she vanished, teleporting away.

“L… Lubella…” the queen looked on, finally smiling as she saw her daughter disappear. She grit her teeth, fire sparking in her eyes. “Elesa,” Queen Rosaria shouted, beckoning Elesa’s fogging eyes. “Finish it. Make sure he can’t…” she coughed as the prince angrily pushed further into the blade. “Make sure, he can’t hurt anyone else.”

“Right,” Elesa tearily nodded. “Mighty wings of the fairy! Whisk us away! Save us from our plight! LUMTELE!” she declared, as another rush of light gushed from her hands, a tendril passing through Relia. The girl stood there in shock and turned to look to Elesa who nodded at her.

“NO!” Zerto declared. He attempted to remove his sword from Rosaria, only for the blade to be grounded in her body.

“I won’t let you,” Rosaria gripped his blade. “You won’t hurt anyone else with this foul steel,” she growled as she held it in place.

“Cursed witch,” he gritted his teeth, relinquishing the blade. “But I am not done yet,” he snarled, removing a glowing dagger from his belt. He eyed a tendril of light as it rushed towards the witch who summoned it, and ran towards her. His dagger plunging deep into her shoulder. Relia shuddered as she saw the threads of mana begin to unravel and splinter apart, the tendril of light meant for Elesa dissipating into nothingness. Panic began to grip her as she watched blood drip down Elesa’s arm as she looked to her with a resigned look.

“Elesa!” Relia ran for her, pushing through the plume of magic. Yet, as she reached, she saw her limb fade into naught as she felt herself being pulled far away.

Elesa’s eyes sank with sadness as she looked upon Relia, her eyes shimmering with tears as a foul understanding grabbed her. “I’m sorry,” she whimpered, gripping her wounded arm.

“Elesa! Please! Grab onto me!” Relia begged. “Please!”

“I can’t,” Elesa admitted. “I’m sorry I can’t hold onto you any longer,” she frowned. “But please, live on, Relia,” Elesa pleaded, tears rolling down her cheeks. Relia’s spirit collapsed as her vision began to ebb away. “Live on for me,” she smiled.

“You!” Zerto growled. “Stop this! NOW!”

“You’re too late,” Elesa scoffed into a painful cough. “I may not be able to save myself now, but they’re all beyond your grasp now,” she said looking to Relia’s fading form. “They’re safe from you. She’s safe from you.” Relia’s heart quaked as she tried to speak out. She tried to grab hold one final time, reaching through an endless chasm of mana and air that stretched on for an increasing eternity, desperately seeking for her beloved. But there was nothing more to reach with. Nothing more to call out with. And then, there was nothing more to shed her stream of tears, the mana whisking her far away beyond her love’s sight. All she could hear were those heartbreaking words. “Goodbye Relia. I will always love you.”

Her senses rushed back, filling with new sights, smells, and sounds. She stood there, reaching out toward the waterfall which had appeared before her for what felt like an eternity, the moon’s light reflecting from the falls upon her tear soaked face. “Elesa?” she asked blankly. She weakly looked on, her face crumbling from shock, then realization, and finally into despair. Her knees finally met the earth. Her hands gripped the land. Her tears soaked the soil, and her cry tore through the sky. “ELESA!”

Time seemed to blur before the crestfallen maiden. She could pay little attention to the passing frowns and weeping souls as she shambled around their makeshift camp. Her hunger left her, draining what little of her strength remained. Her spirit sank deeper, her might vanishing deep within her soul. Her only drive remaining was hoping, as pointless as it may have been, that Elesa was alive. Hoping she was alive and safe, pining for their reunion, although she knew in her heart that it was all but impossible.

And then the that fated day arrived. The sky seemed dark and full, as if matching her sorrow with its own. She entered the tent, beckoned by Phordata’s wails of pain. She felt tears bubble to the surface as she prepared for the ghastly news. The others looked at her with sadness and grief, and she prepared the final reserves of hope for the final crushing blow.

“Just get it over with,” Relia stated coldly.

“Right,” Corva frowned. “After… after Elesa saved us,” Relia clenched her fists. “Zerto, he… he moved to obliterate the rest of Enzera. We… we don’t think anyone survived,” the scout cringed, Relia trembling, as tears bubbled forth.

“So, it’s true then,” she whimpered. “Elesa is…”

“Actually,” Lancia interjected, her voice heavy with regret. Relia looked to her with confusion and a final lingering hope. “Relia, she… Elesa was not killed.”

Relia’s eyes grew wide as hope welled up within her. “You mean…”

She felt Lubella’s hand on her shoulder. “Let me tell her,” she frowned.

“Lubella. Elesa, is she really…?” Relia’s eyed flickered.

“Elesa is alive,” Lubella frowned. “But…”

“She’s his prisoner now, isn’t she?” Relia frowned. “But if that’s the case then…”

“Don’t get ahead of yourself,” Lubella held Relia, her head shaking. “Relia. I’m sorry, but we can’t… we can’t save her.”

“Why not!?” Relia questioned. “She would do the same for us!” she clutched at her chest. “She did the same for me.”

“Relia…” Lubella frowned. “We don’t have the force to do it. Elesa… she gave everything to save us, but we don’t have the strength to fight them again… not anymore,” she grimaced. “Not without mother, or the others,” her voice fell to a whisper.

“Then we’re just supposed to let her die!?” Relia yelled. Lubella’s eyes sank deeper into the ground. Relia blinked. Her eyes… they were full of sorrow, yet… something was amiss. “What? What’s wrong?”

“Relia, I don’t know how to tell you this,” Corva trembled, “but Zerto, he… he took Elesa to be his bride.”

“W-what…?” Relia shook. “He… What…?” she trembled.

“And it appears the church has taken his side, and are aiding him in subduing her,” Lubella grimaced. “Which means any hopes of…” her voice sank further.

“I… is this his way of getting back at me?” Relia whimpered, Lubella’s heartbroken eyes snapping back to her, shimmering with pain. “Is this because I chose her over him?” Relia’s voice was absent as she stumbled backward. “Because I wanted to live as myself with her?”

“Relia…”

“Zerto… I… why…? You… I… we were friends… weren’t we? So why? Why? Why? WHY!?” she cried.

Quick apology: Sorry this was the chapter that I had to take a break on. :(

20