Chapter 16: Trial of the Fairy
188 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
It's a bird! It's a plane! It's me finally returning!!!
 
First and foremost, I'd like to apologize for the extended delay. My final semester and some other irl situations sapped my energy to write for a while. It's take a while, but now I'm back and we should be continuing with the third Floroma book until it finishes.
 
Thanks for everyone's patience, and I hope you enjoy!
 
Read up to 3 chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

“The next so many days passed on without me noticing much,” Relia sighed wiping away some tears. “Apologies,” she cleared her throat. “This story it…”

“You don’t have to say it,” Aria shook her head. “We understand.”

“Right,” Relia nodded. “Anyway, I was in such a stupor for so long I hardly noticed what happened next,” she frowned. “Before I realized it, everyone else had left. A great many of them traveled to the East, in search of an ancient, secluded home to our kind. Meanwhile others retreated to who knows where. And Elesa’s sister and her wife traveled further North to grieve in peace. I suspect they wound up in that place that Elesa showed me when we first got together,” she smiled gently before frowning again. “I haven’t had the strength to speak to them since then. I doubt they even know about me and Zerto, and I just… I don’t have the strength to tell them. To tell them that he… that it was…,” she took a deep breath to collect herself and shook her head. “And as for Lubella and myself, we traveled to this place, to live a quiet life.”

“Lubella took you here?” Aria tilted her head.

“That’s right,” Relia sighed. “I was such a wreck that she decided to watch over me. I was so devastated that I couldn’t take care of myself. I would not be here now, if it weren’t for her.”

“She’s a really caring person, isn’t she?” Aria smiled.

“She is,” Relia chuckled. “Lubella may like to put on a tough front, but she’s still got the loving heart that I knew back then. I think she felt responsible, especially after her mother passed away,” she sighed, bringing her hand to her chest. “Me on the other hand, I still think about Elesa every day. I still miss her every day. It may be foolish, but I hope she’s still alright, as vain as it may be,” Relia gave a soft smile. “At any rate, I’m sorry for droning on for so long. I appreciate you indulging me like this. Lubella likes to get people to listen to me sometimes to help me open up about it. She says it’s healthy to grieve like this with others, but I imagine it must sound rather exhausting to you two,” she sniffled.

“You thought…” Aria blinked. “I think you misunderstood her this time.”

“Misunderstood? What do you…?” Relia looked back up. She blinked confusedly as her face crumpled with concern as she watched Saya quietly trembling in her chair, soft sobs escaping her lips. “Oh, I’m sorry dear, that must’ve had more of an impact on you than I thought,” she frowned as she moved to her side. Saya curled herself up as the downpour intensified, her sobs growing ever louder. “Saya…”

“Miss Relia,” Aria looked to her. “I’m sorry, I guess you wouldn’t know this, but Saya, her mother…” Aria took a deep breath. “Queen Elesa is Saya’s mother.”

Relia blinked as she looked at the girl, her eyes narrowing with shock and fear. “This girl is… Elesa’s… then her father…”

“HE IS NOT!” Saya shrieked. “I will not…,” she cried. “He is not my father,” she declared. “I… why… why did he…? Mother, she…”

Aria held Saya as her tears began to pool upon her armor. “I think…” she started then stopped. She shook her head. “I’m sorry, Saya. I’m so sorry.”

“Saya…” Relia looked upon the crying girl before finally mustering a smile.

“I…” Saya continued to cry. She jolted slightly as she felt a warm and soft embrace surround her. She looked up to see Relia hugging her.

“I’m proud of you, Saya. It must’ve been so hard, making it this far. I can only imagine all the cruelties he’s forced upon you. But you’ve made it this far, and I’m so proud of you for it. And I’m so glad that you’re here,” she whispered, tightening her loving hug upon the girl.

“I…” Saya cried. “I…”

“There, there, let it all out,” Relia encouraged her.

“Mom, she…” Saya sobbed.

“She would be very proud of you,” Relia nodded.

“Miss Relia,” Aria looked to her. “You’re not upset?”

“Whatever would I be upset at her for?” Relia smiled upon Saya. “I may despise Zerto for all he has done, but none of that is Saya’s fault,” she giggled. “If anything, I can tell that she’s as brilliant as her mother.”

“R-really?” Saya asked as she sank into Relia’s kind hug.

“Of course,” Relia nodded. “It’s funny. I could tell from the moment I saw you that you were connected to Elesa. But I tried to push those thoughts away. I was so afraid I was just trying to deceive myself with false hope again. But now I can tell for certain, Elesa’s love flows through you.”

“Her love?” Aria asked.

“Yes. I’m not sure how or why, but I can feel Elesa’s mana intertwined with Saya’s. Perhaps she tried to grant her a boon when she was very young or the like, but I can tell that Elesa tried her best to help you and protect you, Saya,” she smiled.

“Mom,” Saya trembled. “She…”

“It’s okay, Saya,” she nodded. “I’m here for you. For her sake, I shall stay beside you.”

* * *

“There, there,” Relia patted Saya’s head as they slowly moved down the hall. “That’s a good girl. We’re almost there.”

“Are you sure you’re up to this, Saya?” Aria asked as she walked beside them, Saya sniffling as she nodded.

“I’ll be fine,” Saya’s voice shook, betrayed by her sorrow. “I need to…” she sniffled. “I need to save her. I need to save them,” she felt Relia’s hug tighten around her.

“I understand how you feel,” Relia’s fingers slid through Saya’s locks of hair endearingly. “However, Aria is right. The best thing you can do for them is to take care of yourself first. You won’t be able to help them if you get sick from pushing yourself too hard.”

“But I have to try,” Saya whimpered. “Elise… she was in so much pain. And mom…” she balled up her hand as tears continued to broach her eyelids as they entered the familiar purple hall they met Lubella in.

“I see that you’re all finished then,” Lubella’s voice called the three to attention.

“We have,” Relia nodded. “They’ve learned… what happened to Ethnerta, as well as Saya’s mother.”

“I can see that,” Lubella gave a soft nod as she eyed Saya’s ragged state then closed her eyes in consideration. “I had hoped to start tonight, but I suppose we should wait until…”

“No!” Saya shouted. “Please. I need to try!” she begged.

“You…” Lubella looked into Saya’s red eyes, an unrelenting energy filling her weary stare. She sighed. “Very well. I suppose we can at least use tonight prepare you, but afterwards you two will go rest. Understood?”

“Right,” Aria accepted, taking Saya’s hand in her own. Saya looked up to her, her eyes shimmering with frustration. She could tell that she wasn’t satisfied with Lubella’s offer. “Saya, please?” she gave a soft pout.

“Okay,” Saya answered as she deflated in surrender.

“Very well, then follow me,” Lubella led them to a door on the other side of the door. The door seemed to resist Lubella’s force upon it. It continued to resist, even as Lubella conjured some shadowy spells for a moment before finally squeaking and creaking as it gave way. The air beyond it was unlike the rest of the house. It was chilly and wet, thick with moisture as the humidity immediately called sweat to Aria’s brow. The young knightess descended with the others down a flight of stairs into a large chamber filled with a gentle blue light. She glanced to the other side, seeing a slide like structure spiral down towards a pool at the chamber’s depths.

“Is this where Relia’s pool empties out?” Aria asked.

“Good observation,” Relia smiled. “Yes, the water leaves my room and then empties into this pool, where Lubella can use it for her own spells,” Aria looked at her oddly. “Do not worry,” she chuckled. “The water I use for bathing empties elsewhere. This water is from my usual rituals.”

“It is rather convenient having water filled with a water witch’s innate mana on hand,” Lubella added. “And it is what you two shall be using.”

“What do you mean?” Saya asked.

“Water, especially mana infused water, is a good medium to channel magic through,” Relia answered. “I imagine that whatever spell or ritual that Lubella has planned will require it so you can easily practice without sapping your strength.”

“More or less,” Lubella said as they arrived at the bottom of the chamber. “Saya, Aria, I will need you two to change into those,” she directed them to a pair of white dresses.

“These are…” Aria held up the white cloth, an embarrassed heat nipping at her cheek.

“Soul dresses,” Saya brought her dress to her chest. “Just like Xenia used.”

“You’re familiar with them?” Lubella asked.

“Yes,” Saya nodded. “My elder sister, Xenia used one when she was trying to awaken her magic. It is a garb that helps the flow of mana in a person, and naturally synchronizes with them. Xenia’s harmonized with her and became a red dress and changed her armor into a dark gown for her,” she smiled.

“Do you happen to have one?” Lubella asked.

“Unfortunately, not,” Saya shook her head. “Aunt Phora only had the one to spare, and sister needed it more than myself.

“I see, so Phora is…” Relia commented to herself. “That aside, you mentioned your sister. Is she different from the one you came here to help?”

“That’s correct,” Aria answered. “Saya has four sisters, and a brother, all older than she is.”

“I see,” Relia gave a somber look, Lubella lightly holding her shoulder. “Well, at any rate, you two should get changed,” the two girls nodded and entered a small room to their side. As they vanished from sight, Relia let out a breath, her body beginning to tremble, as Lubella moved to hold her.

“Relia,” Lubella frowned.

“I… What has he done to her?” Relia questioned.

“I know,” Lubella whispered. “I know. We’re going to do everything we can to make this right.”

“Lubella,” Relia looked to her.

“Please, my friend, be strong. I need your help to guide them.”

“You mean train Saya?” Relia asked, wiping away a tear.

“Yes, but not just with her magic,” Lubella smiled. “They’ll need you for what comes next.”

As the two spoke, in the side room, the young princess and her beloved disrobed. Aria undid the clasps and straps of her armor, setting it aside as she neared her undergarments. As she did, she looked to her side, stiffening as she witnessed her beloved princess stand behind her, already having disrobed. Heat shot through her cheeks as she beheld the curvaceous form before her, only intensified with each graceful movement.

Her eyes drew her upward, as if seeking air from the puddle of heat she had become trapped within, coming across Saya’s eyes, her beautiful emerald eyes as they… Aria took a deep breath and returned to focusing on herself as Saya’s blank and weary expression lingered in her mind, quietly cursing herself for her passion gripping her now of all times when Saya was in such pain.

Saya stood behind her, quietly processing the many things she had learned. It all felt similar. Too similar. Relia’s life. Her experiences. The tragedy that caused her so much pain. The tragedy that stole her mother away from Relia. Her fingers clenched the cloth in her hands as she quietly cursed her birthright and pulled her new soul dress over her body, the gentle cloth settling upon her form. She turned around to see Aria’s nude form standing there, quietly setting aside the final pieces of her equipment.

Saya’s eyes lingered upon each detail of the body before her, caressing each curve and crease of her skin. The maelstrom in her head began to subside as she looked upon her love. She felt drawn to her, like a moth to a flame, drawing nearer to her lovely knight. Without a second thought, Saya wrapped her arms around the woman’s waist and held her close, her body pressing into the beauty. The body shook for a moment, then it tensed up and twisted beneath her hug, squirming but still tight within.

“S-Saya,” Aria yelped. “W-what are you…”

“Please,” Saya pleaded. “Please let me have this,” she hugged Aria closer. Aria sighed, letting out a sigh.

“Okay,” she conceded as she turned around to hug Saya back. “I’m here for you.”

* * *

“There you two are,” Relia smiled as the two emerged from the side room, Aria blushing as Saya’s face seemed… Relia giggled. “Well don’t you seem refreshed. Feeling better?

“A little,” Saya smiled sheepishly.

“Well then, are you ready?” Lubella asked, Saya and Aria nodding. “Alright, but before we begin, remember, this process will take time. I’m going to go over the basics tonight, but to perfect this will take time. I will not permit you to exhaust yourselves, understood?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Aria nodded.

“Okay,” Saya responded slightly slower.

“Good, now I’ll need you two to enter the pool of water until the water is about at your bellies,” Lubella instructed, the two entering the pool and slowly stepping into its depths until the water bobbed around their stomachs. “Next, you’ll have to face each other, then take your partner’s hands,” she said, the two nodding as they held hands. “Next, it’s your time, my friend,” she looked to Relia, the woman nodding and approaching the pool. She dipped her hands into the water, light pulsing from her them. “Relia has a unique form of magic called Guiding Waves. It is unique in that it can guide people through all manner of things. Illusions, weather, and even the heart. Let her magic guide you. It will lead you to the other’s heart.”

Saya took a deep breath as she felt the mana pull upon her. It was just as Lubella had described. It was as if some inexplicable force simply led the way, extending beyond herself and towards somewhere else. It was a moist place, but it was warm too. At least that’s how it started. With time the moist sensation seemed to vanish replaced only by the warmth, the deep comfortable warmth.

A sudden tremor ripped into the warmth, Saya’s mana quickly whipping back into her, tearing her from her trance. “What happened?” Saya asked.

“I don’t know,” Aria frowned.

“That is to be expected,” Relia chuckled. “It’s a difficult connection to make, much less stabilize.”

“Then, we just have to stabilize it, right?” Saya asked.

“Not quite,” Lubella shook her head. “You didn’t make a connection this time,” she explained, shocking the two before looking to each other worriedly. “Don’t worry, even close lovers struggle with this. The good thing is that it seems you’ve found each other,” Lubella smiled. “In order for you to cast Revalsia, you will be required to learn how to use your collective mana together to form a powerful connection of mana. I’ve noticed that Aria has learned to draw upon your mana Saya, but for this to work, Saya will have to learn how to draw upon Aria’s mana. And then, in time, you will have to learn how to do this without Relia’s help.”

“I see,” Saya said dejectedly.

“There’s no reason to be down,” Relia shook her head. “You two have already shown plenty of potential for it. I can tell you two are incredibly close, so it hopefully won’t be too hard and should come quite easily to you, right Lubella.”

“Y-yes,” Lubella nodded. “That all said, for tonight, you two should get some rest. You’ve both experienced a lot, and should rest up. We’ll start in earnest tomorrow. Lyn should be waiting to escort you to your room upstairs.”

“Right,” Aria nodded. “Come on, Saya,” she pulled at her, Saya giving a light nod as she followed her out of the chamber.

* * *

“Thank you for everything,” Aria took a bag from Lyn. “Our clothes were getting kind of gross.”

“I am glad to be of service,” Lyn bowed, her wings elegantly stretching upward. “Have a good night.”

“Hey, we have some clean clothes for tomorrow,” Aria said, closing the door behind her as she placed the bag on a nearby desk. The room was pleasant. A rich red color filled the walls, giving it a warm and welcoming energy, complimented by the cool dark wood of the furniture. Aria found herself reminded of Phordata’s home in the Dark Forest. It was a soothing and welcoming atmosphere, save the frowning girl at its center. Saya quietly sprawled on the bed, sniffling as she rolled around the bed, restless, yet evidently too tired to rise again. Aria sat down beside her and brushed the loose hairs off Saya’s chest, her playful act going ignored by the girl. She sighed. “You want to talk about it?”

Saya looked to her, her eyes dark from tears, yet ready to spend more. “I just… I do not know what to do with these feelings.”

“What do you mean?” Aria asked.

“Mother… her entire life at the castle… all of it was against her will, was it not? She must detest him, and yet she has to obey him, even…” she curled up. “Am I… are we just reminders of his crimes?” she wondered aloud.

“I don’t know,” Aria frowned. “I don’t know what the queen… what your mother would think of all of this. You were born of a relationship she didn’t want,” Saya’s body tightened. “But,” Aria gently stroked her head, “but I don’t think she hates you, or sees you, nor any of your siblings that way.”

“What makes you say that?” Saya looked up to her.

“Well, Relia said that she felt Elesa’s love in you, right?” Aria recalled. “I think whatever she did was because, in spite of the circumstances, she still loves you.”

“Maybe,” Saya frowned. “But I am uncertain if that means much here.”

Aria looked upon her with a frown. “I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer.”

“It is okay,” Saya wrapped her arms around Aria’s waist. “I appreciate you trying to cheer me up though.”

Aria giggled and twisted around, laying upon the bed as she pulled Saya into a hug. “Of course. I’m here to support you, no matter what.”

“Yeah,” Saya smiled. She cuddled up to Aria’s warm body, Aria’s fingers gently poking and tickling her, Saya giggling happily. “Yknow,” Saya giggled. “I wonder.”

“Wonder what?” Aria chuckled.

“Did mom and Relia do stuff like this back then?”

“Maybe. Relia did say they were really close like that,” Aria recounted. “They lived with each other for a few years too.”

“That must’ve been nice,” Saya smiled. “Living with other witches, being able to openly share her love.”

“Yeah, all while not being afraid of others judging them, or trying to tell them who they can or can’t be,” Aria said with a hopeful tone. “It sounds like a dream come true.”

“It really does,” Saya agreed. “I hope we all get to live like that one day. You and me. Mom and Relia.”

“Xenia and Mable,” Aria added.

“Huh?” Saya looked to her in surprise. “What do you mean?”

“I guess you were too preoccupied to notice,” Aria chuckled. “But they’ve been getting really close ever since they fell into the Winterfell Forest. Abbysia said they even kissed in Ilo’s manor.”

“Really?” Saya’s voice filled with awe. “Now that you mention it, they were being rather sweet to each other,” she rolled onto her back. “Those two have been through a lot, and they deserve happiness with each other.”

“They’re not the only ones,” Aria chuckled. “You’ve been through a lot too, and deserve that same happiness.”

“Of course, but I already have you,” Saya giggled.

“Y-yeah,” Aria answered, hiding her embarrassment.

“I hope all of us can be together one day. You and me, Xenia and Mable, mom and Relia, Lillia, Elise, Iris, Aurith and Nerivi…”

“Phora, Honey, and Lubella too,” Aria chuckled.

“Yes, and everyone else too,” Saya’s eyelids began to feel heavy as she yawned. “I hope we all get to be together, and live happy… lives…” her voice trailed off, as she slipped into sleep.

“We will,” Aria whispered. “We just have to get through this. We can do that much…” her voice grew quiet. She looked upon Saya’s sweet sleeping face and smiled, planting a kiss on her forehead. “Goodnight, Saya. I love you.”

* * *

Aria grimaced as the magic began to wane again, slumping in surrender as the spell failed once again. “It failed again.”

“I do not understand,” Saya shook her head in frustration. “Why can we not connect?”

“I…” Relia looked to them then shook her head. “I’m not entirely sure,” Relia sighed. “We’ve been at this for days now, and we’re still stuck at this step.”

“What am I doing wrong?” Saya questioned. “Why am I unable to do this?”

“Lubella,” Relia looked to her friend as the former princess sighed, approaching the pool’s edge.

“The issue is not you, Saya,” Lubella stated.

“What do you mean?” Saya looked to her. “If not me, then what else could…”

“I was really hoping to avoid this,” Lubella took a deep breath. “I understand you do not wish to see it, but the issue is you,” she looked to Aria.

“Aria? But why would she be…” Saya looked to Aria, seeing her looking down in shame. “Aria?”

“If you two are to succeed, then you need to stop holding your emotions back, dear,” Lubella explained. “You need to let her in, or else this won’t work. You have to trust her with them.”

“You’re wrong!” Aria yelped. “I trust Saya more than anyone! I…”

“But you’re still holding them back,” Lubella countered.

“Hold on a moment, please,” Saya pleaded. “Aria is trying her best. I know that, but…”

“But she’s afraid,” Lubella said bluntly. “She’s afraid of herself,” she looked to Aria. “But you have to let go of those doubts, Aria,” her stare dug into the knightess. “I realize you must be scared, but you have to trust her with the parts you want to deny. You have to believe in yourself.”

“Scared?” Saya repeated as she looked to Aria tremble in place.

“No, you’re wrong,” Aria trembled. “I… I have nothing to hide,” she lied. Saya looked at her confusedly. It was so clear and transparent that she was lying, but she could not figure out why or about what, but it was obvious to her, Aria was lying, desperately and truly.

Lubella crossed her arms as she looked to Aria, who stiffened in fright. “I hoped you would have caught on by now. I did not have you listen to Relia’s story just to learn of the past.”

“What do you mean?” Saya asked, Relia matching Saya’s confusion.

“The situation you two find yourselves in is like a reflection of the past. Not only did it teach you of what happened and why the things around you have been happening, but so you could learn about yourselves,” Lubella explained. “I had you listen so you could discover the aspects of yourselves that you have been running away from, something Saya has already begun to do, but Aria has not,” the two looked upon the witch with confusion and fright.

“Simply explaining it does not really achieve the result I was hoping for,” Lubella continued, “but I suppose giving you this much may help guide you to what you need. Saya, in many ways you reflect Relia. You’ve shared similar experiences, felt similar things, and fought for similar reasons. Meanwhile, Aria reflects…” Saya felt a strange wobble overtake her as Lubella’s voice suddenly melted into an unintelligible fuzz. Saya’s ears began to ring, causing her to grab at her ears in confusion. Lubella and Relia’s eyes grew wide as they looked beside Saya, toward Aria.

Saya looked to her side, watching a strange light flow from Aria as she trembled in place, clutching her head and curling over in some sort of pain. In the next moment, Saya’s vision began to fade as she was consumed into the light.

17