Chapter 17: Aria of Reflection
147 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hope everyone is having a good day. Hope you enjoy the chapter!
 
Read up to 3 chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

The light seemed to eat away at the world around her. The dim ceiling vanishing into an abyss of white, as all else vanished into its reach. Saya stood there, confused and alone. “Aria?” she called. “Lubella? Relia?” she was unsure if her voice was echoing or if another sound had lapped up her voice in its current. As if in answer, she felt a sudden breeze, her hair lifting before her eyes until the air began to settle.

The sound of rustling leaves quieted, confusing Saya further. Leaves? But from where? They were indoors for one, and for another she was certain they were below ground. The room seemed plenty cave like, or at least it had. In search of the sound’s origin, she surveyed her surroundings. Nothing but white void before her, and nothing save for some wild grass to her side… where did that come from? She was further perplexed as a full forest seemed to emerge around her as she continued to spin. She tried to turn back towards the white void, only to discover that it too had been consumed in the thick foliage. She stepped back, the splashing of water meeting her ears. She looked down to notice that although the ground seemed to emit white light, it was also covered in a shimmering liquid, which seemed to just be simple water despite the mounting peculiarities.

“What is happening?” she questioned. “We were practicing to use Revalsia,” she thought aloud. “Our connection failed, and then Lubella began saying it was Aria’s fault,” her demeanor dropped. “She said Aria was hiding her emotions,” she frowned. “But, I thought she trusted me,” she shook her head. “No, she definitely trusts me,” she reassured herself. “After that, Lubella started speaking of how Relia and I were like reflections of each other, and that Aria was…” she blinked as she realized she never heard that answer, although it seemed plenty obvious to her. “And then Aria started glowing. If what Lubella said was true, then did that cause Aria and I to finally connect?

“But then, what exactly is this place? Is it Aria’s heart?” she wondered. She took a deep breath and smiled. “Now that I look at it a little more closely, this forest is rather pretty. If this is her heart, then it suits her,” she giggled. “It rather reminds me of Aunt Phora, thinking about it. I wonder, was it so difficult because Aria was embarrassed to know that she and Aunt Phora were so similar?” she laughed. “But, what do I do now? I do not see Aria around here? Am I supposed to find her?” she considered. “I suppose that would be a better idea than remaining around here.

“Still though,” her gaze hung upon the pale branches. “The forest makes enough sense for her, I suppose, and the sweet clean air does too,” she said as she took a deep breath. “But this pool of water. I wonder, it reminds me of the pool that Miss Lubella was having us practice in,” she considered. “I wonder if our location affects this world. That would be a rather interesting phenomena. Then again, the water is pure and clean, and has this white glow to it. Is it perhaps reflective of my presence here? I seem to be connected to her right now, after all,” she mused. “Regardless, I hope I find Aria… soon…” her voice trailed off as she began to hear something. “Is that laughter?” she looked to find the origin of the sound, turning to find a series of thick bushes beside her, a colorful light, unlike the pale forest’s own, shining through. “What is this?” she questioned as she stepped toward the flurry of branches.

Saya pushed the branches out of her way as she emerged somewhere familiar. She blinked once, then again as she realized where she was. “This is ho…” she stopped and shook her head. “Luxur castle,” her lips dropped.

“You won’t catch me Gilly!” laughed a high squeaky voice. Saya tensed as that name rang in her ear, a cold sweat forming on her body as she looked around in confusion. She began to loosen up as she saw something odd, a pair of familiar girls playing in the garden, one with shimmering red hair and the other with long auburn hair.

“Not so fast, Aria,” the brown-haired girl giggled, as a flower crown bounced in her hair. “I am not letting you get away,” she ran into the red-haired girl and hugged her. “Got you!”

“You sure do!” Aria giggled. Saya smiled as her childhood played out before her, watching the two young girls happily play together. “Well, since you caught me, this time you get to give me an order,” Aria explained, Saya remembering the rules of their game of tag. She recalled the two of them, her elder siblings, Xenia, Aurith, and Lillia, as well as Mable all running around in their games of tag, each giving an order to those they tagged. “So, what will it be, your highness?”

“Let us see,” the young Saya brought a finger to her lips. “I know,” she grinned. “For the rest of the day, you’ll refer to me as the fairy princess,” she boasted.

“Of course, your ladyship. I shall refer to you as the fairy princess till the day is through,” Aria answered, a big smile forming over the two Saya’s faces. The younger beamed with excitement as the older looked upon the with a gleeful doting giggle. She watched the two continue to play, Aria causing the young Saya to smile all through the day.

“Gilly!” another voice called, the young Saya looking to see her elder sister, Lillia calling to her, as a pair of men stood behind her. “Come on, it is time for supper!” she waved her over.

“Coming!” the young Saya answered, as the two girls ran toward the group. “Hello Sir Arstis! Sir Rald!” she giggled.

“Good evening, your highness,” the taller of the two grinned. “And good evening to you too, Aria.”

“Hi, Uncle Rald!” Aria chuckled. “Hi papa!” she smiled at the shorter of the two men, the man smiling back.

“Good night, Aria,” the young Saya waved as she and Lillia headed inside.

“Good night, princess!” Aria answered back, the young Saya smiling ever brighter, as her older counterpart, felt a similar smile claim her lips.

“Arstis,” Rald grumbled to the Aria’s father. Saya blinked and looked to the two as realization grabbed hold of her. Rald and Arstis. Some of Zerto’s most trusted knights. Her mind returned to Relia’s story as Arstis sighed and looked to his daughter. This kind fatherly man. He was one of the ones who hurt Relia so deeply. One who hurt her mother so deeply.

“Aria,” Arstis kneeled before his daughter, a grimace upon his face.

“I had so much fun today papa,” Aria ran to hug him. “Gilly and I had so much fun today! I hope we can come visit her and the others again soon.”

“Aria!” Arstis snapped, Aria looked up at him in fright.

“Papa?”

Arstis sighed. “Aria, Gilbert is a prince, and you should pay him the appropriate respect,” he scolded her.

“But I always treat Gilly right,” Aria pouted. “Did I do something wrong?” she gasped innocently. “Did I disgrace her?” she wondered.

“That!” Arstis raised his voice startling Aria again, prompting the knight to cool his temper. “Aria. The prince is a boy. You should refer to him as such.”

“But, Gilly wants me to call her that,” Aria protested. “And momma says you should respect what others want.”

“Of course, she did,” Arstis grumbled. “Listen, Aria, you, as one of his loyal friends, need to stop him from indulging in such nonsensical fantasies,” he scolded her, Aria looking to him confusedly. “If you don’t it will only invite misfortune upon him in the future, and hurt him. Do you want that?”

Aria flinched, as she processed his words then shook her head. “I don’t want to hurt her… er, him,” she frowned. “So, I promise.”

“That’s a good girl,” Arstis patted her head, then pulling her into a hug.

Saya stood there in shock as she watched the scene unfold before her, her heart crying out with the cruel malice before her. Arstis must’ve known about her. As she looked upon the man, the memories of a kindhearted knight seemed to crumble before her. She shook her head and ran back toward the bushes, leaving the familiar sky behind.

“What was that?” Saya asked herself. “That was certainly the past, but I do not remember that last part,” she frowned. “Was it something Aria remembered? Were those her memories?” she wondered aloud, then frowned. “Back then, for that short time, she really saw me for who I was,” she wiped away her tears. “Was it because of that lie that she stopped?” she gipped her hands. “Lord Arstis. He rejected Relia too, and sided with…” she cringed at the thought.

Saya sighed and looked back towards the bushes, considering what she had seen. However, her thoughts were once again interrupted as she noticed the bushes had vanished, once again yielding to the endless reach of the misty woods. She gathered herself and continued to push on.

“Just what is with this place?” she wondered aloud. “One moment something is right in front of me, and the next it vanishes,” she sighed. “And what was that back there?” she frowned. “None of them noticed me, and I recall most of it from when I was a little girl, but why did it show up here?

“Will something else show up if I keep going?” she looked to the tree lined path before her. “I hope I find you soon, Aria,” she continued on. The forest continued to confuse her, for as she neared its apparent edge, in the blink of an eye, it continued to spread far into the distance. However, she did not feel dissuaded as she chose to continue pushing on. At last, she began to hear voices echo through the trees. Unlike before, she knew these voices exceedingly well. “Aria!” she chirped. “But that other voice, Xenia?” she blinked as she turned towards the offending flora, a collection of shrubs barring her way.

She made her way through the shrubs before she finally emerged in a bustling town. She glanced around, quickly realizing the noise and movement came from a number of Lumina Knights scouring the town. She saw herself in the distance, giggling with Mable. However, this other her was… off. She seemed a bit plainer in her looks, and her physique and personage seemed slightly different. She rested her hand on her chest, a thought crossing her mind, prompting her to giggle. “I see, this must have been before I fully awakened,” she eyed herself.  “Though, she seems to be pretty far along, but I can tell there is something still amiss. Perhaps this is before I accepted myself then. But she seems really close to that moment,” she smiled gently. “The moment I embraced who I really am,” she looked at her past self endearingly. “It was hard back then, but it was all worth it in the end,” she brought her hands to her chest and took a deep thankful breath.

“I remember this place now. This is the town we were in just before we crossed into…” she fell silent as Relia’s story laid another blow upon her. “Ethnerta,” she shivered as she recalled the destroyed city they traveled through. Even now she was uncertain of its name, although she found it unlikely that it was the ruins of Enzera, it was too far South for that.

She took a deep breath, attempting to relax herself, allowing her to focus on the matter at hand. As she did, she finally heard their voices again, her eyes finally landing upon Xenia and Aria, causing her to excitedly run towards them.

“I would like to ask you to keep a close eye on Saya,” she heard Xenia say, her voice filled with concern. Saya began to slow as she approached.

“Saya? That is already my duty, is it not?” Aria asked.

“Yes, but… I want you to keep an eye on her behaviors,” Xenia explained, Saya’s smile slowly dropping into a frown.

“Captain?”

“I apologize Aria, the truth is that I am currently afraid. After we nearly failed her twice, I have become… burdened with fear of failing her again,” Saya clenched her hands as she heard her sister, recalling the reality she was poised with at the time.

“Afraid? Failing? What are you talking about?”

“Have you noticed her changes, or lack there of? Saya has not changed physically since we left the castle. At least not as drastically as before. After how quick and sudden those changes were, I expected some other drastic change to follow. Is it not strange that they stopped so abruptly? I have tried to think little of it, even trying to hope that perhaps it meant that by moving, we were perhaps slowing the curse, but as I linger on such thoughts, the more I begin to fear that has been only positive thinking,” Saya quietly approached, passing the carriage blocking her view as Aria and Xenia came into view. Saya frowned as she watched her sister pour her heart out, expressing her fears and concerns, yet trying to remain the fierce dependable woman she was raised to be.

“What are you talking about Captain?” Saya looked to Aria’s eyes. She recognized a certain fear linger in her eyes, one she had seen in the young girl as her father scolded her, an invisible weight pulling upon her.

“Aria, do you not think Saya has begun to act differently?”

“Act differently? Are you referring to her lost fighting prowess?” Saya saw through Aria’s attempts to remain calm and knightly. She was nervous and concerned yet trying to keep it all in check. She had known her too long and been too close to miss that much.

“In part, but more than that. Her tastes and behaviors are changing. I can hardly see the strong confident expressions of Gilbert anymore in her. She has become softer, gentler, even weaker and frightful. Tis as if she is fulfilling the temperament of a young unconcerned maiden,” Xenia sighed as she brushed her horse’s back, a quiet tremble shaking her eyes. “When we began, I believed the changes would remain physical, but the more we travel, the more I begin to realize that I was wrong. Saya is no longer changing physically, but her personality, her behaviors have been as well, and I fear the curse is overwhelming her, and she may not even be aware of it,” Saya gripped her chest as she heard her sister’s honest concerns laid out before her, quietly cursing their upbringing and the attempts to undermine their trust in each other.

“Captain…”

“Aria, please, I am afraid I might lose her…that I might lose him. So, please just watch over him… I am scared I may lose him,” Xenia said with an unusual frightened tone, one which seemed to disappear over her years of training until this moment.

Aria nodded. “I will do all I can your highness. Just please, don’t give up hope. We won’t let this witch or her curse win, right?”

Xenia nodded and wiped away her tears, quickly sealing away her feelings as she resumed her knightly visage. Saya watched, lamenting her inability to notice the burden her sister had carried for so long as it slowly ate away at her… As those toxic lessons that man forced upon her crushed and harmed her so. She quietly watched as the two went their separate ways, before the caravan departed to resume their mission once more.

Saya trembled, shaking her head. “Xenia, she… she did not understand back then,” she sniffled. “She was just trying to watch out for me. She was worried about me. Sure, she was wrong, but… she did not desire to hurt me like she did,” she reaffirmed to herself. “She only… only did the best with what he had us raised to believe,” she wept.

She took a deep breath, recalling how things went from there. Certainly, things were rough for a time, but it was not long before Saya had accepted herself, and not much longer before… She heard more noise coming from behind her. She looked around, noticing she had once again returned to the pale forest, a distinct thicker layer of mist filling the branches above her. She turned to look behind her, noticing a clear opening in the forest, leading toward a colorful town.

She entered what was certainly to be another memory, and she smiled as the pleasant experiences swept over her once more. The Red Leaf Festival. It was such a beautiful night. Perhaps the very first where she had truly embraced who she was and lived as herself wholeheartedly. The image of the festive décor lining the town of Hollow brought a gleeful nostalgia to her lips as they sprang up with joyous excitement.

There were so many joyful moments on this beautiful night, and before long, she began witnessing another version of her past self leading Aria through the streets as she searched for a store to properly dress for the occasion. She quietly giggled to herself as she encouraged Aria to try on a flattering dress, while she found a rather extravagant dress for herself.

As if on cue, the two walked out of the store, giggling at the cute design her past self had gone with. The pure red dress resembled a rose, an opening around the lower thigh revealing her long slender legs as well as the beautiful detailing of the inner dress. Upon closer inspection it seemed to be designed in a way that each inner layer was like an individual rose petal, a detail she had entirely missed before. The long sash like adornments seemed to have similarly intricate lace along them, as did the gloves. In fact, the entire dress seemed to have such detailed flourishes to it. She was uncertain if her lack of awareness or the way the dress showed off her cleavage made her face redder, although she was certainly more fond of the latter. She would have to find an excuse to wear it again in the future.

In contrast, Aria had a much darker and simpler outfit. The long dark dress fluttered around her lower leg, a long slit traveling up to her thigh, an image she joyously recalled. The white sash, and its flower like bow above the slit was equally memorable to her, although for different reasons. She lovingly recalled how the tight bodice and the dress’s choker showed off Aria’s own cleavage, summoning a much more comforting blush to make its way to her cheeks. She quietly giggled to herself as she shadowed the two through their night.

Although it was not as fun as living the night herself at the time, she still greatly enjoyed watching them tour the festival. She laughed as Aria showed up the owner of the dart stall and won her a fairy plush, one she certain was still safe at her aunt’s home. She then followed them and watched as they danced, the pleasant memories of drifting off into Aria’s stellar sapphires fluttering in her mind before her past self ran off for that fateful moment. And then finally she watched them relax as they watched the fireworks.

“Goodness,” this has been nice,” Saya smiled. “Much happier than that last one,” she said as the sky began to brighten. “Huh? Is there more?” she wondered. The scene began to shift around her, as a familiar tent appeared before her, curiosity leading her within. Her heart sank as she immediately recognized the scene unfolding before her as her past self handed Aria a painting she had worked on throughout the day after the festival. She was so happy and excited to give it to Aria only for that devastating information to come and pierce her heart.

“Isn’t that great, you’ll return to be back to your former self before you know it,” Aria said hugging Saya. Her past self reeled from the revelation, her heart cracking in horror, as her present self watched on in sadness for the pain it caused her. She clenched her hands, and left the memory behind, refusing to watch it play out any further, and instead finding herself back in the pale forest.

Saya looked around finding the thick cloud of mist sinking to the floor, consuming the already impenetrable forest into its whole. The forest began to feel cold and damp, as a sense of loneliness began to creep in. She held herself as she began to cry. “Why am I being shown these things? I do not understand?” she shook her head. “I already had to endure this pain once, why make me live through it again? What does it accomplish?”

She took a deep breath as she glared into the forest. “What are you trying to accomplish with all of this!?” she shouted. “Please, I just want to understand,” she begged. But there was no answer. She sighed as she chose to push on, making her way through the fog, failing to notice as the shallow layer of water beneath her began to change, soil and grass taking its place as the light faded into darkness.

Then finally she arrived, a familiar clearing expanding before her. She looked on in confusion as a very familiar scene played out before her. Aria and Xenia scrambled as Phordata danced through the air, playfully avoiding their numerous attempts to strike her down, each failing. Phordata summoned massive roots from the nearby cliff face, blocking their way, and protecting her from their onslaught. The witch began to tease them as she explained the nature of the spell of awakening.

It was funny; at the time, Saya found herself feeling terrified, but now, from here, she began to understand her aunt’s logic. She played with their feelings perhaps, but she also manipulated them in a way that they could no longer deny the reality of things. So, they could no longer deny who she really was. It was perhaps cruel and malicious, but she could almost appreciate the intentions, even if they hurt at the time. But something seemed off, as Aria trembled more and more throughout the fight. It was strange, she could have sworn that she was far more resolute and confident during their battle.

And then the scene shifted again, a strange fuzziness overtaking the forest as it settled upon another moment she recalled quite well. Aria and Xenia stood on one side as Saya and Mable stood on the other, Saya quivering in fear as her sister and lover denied her identity and Mable argued against them.

“Gilbert wouldn’t want this!” Aria’s voice rang, shaking Saya from her stupor. “This isn’t who he is! That witch… she… she must’ve altered his mind!” Saya cringed at the cruel words, desperately clinging onto her memories of what came next. Mable would refute them, with an impassioned plea about their journey and experiences being real. One, which never came.

Saya looked around, shock gripping her as she noticed Mable and Xenia now missing from the scene, only seeing Aria standing there staring at the past Saya, who trembled looking at her in horror and despair. Saya’s past version crumbled to her knees crying in pain from the cruel words as Aria watched on in shock.

Saya balled her hands into fists, furiously gripping her hair as she threw her voice skyward. “Stop it! You will not deceive me with these illusions. You will not make me doubt her! I will not allow it!” she declared. “Our love will not be contorted by these noxious tricks and fabrications! They will not lead me astray! You hear me!? I refuse to let you corrupt my memories of her! Now stop this at once!” she yelled. She began to pant as she looked toward the illusion of that night continued. She remembered this moment clearly, after Mable shouted at the two, Aria dropped to her knees and began to cry.

But she didn’t, not this time. She didn’t fall to her knees. Instead, she collapsed, her hands desperately catching her, holding her up from the ground as she began to cry. Saya looked on in confusion as the scene began to evaporate around her, all save for the crying Aria.

“I hurt her,” Aria cried. “I told her I would protect her. I told her I’d support her. I promised I’d make her happy. But instead, I just hurt her, insisting she return to something she clearly wasn’t,” she gripped her head. “I’m awful. Disgusting. Putrid. Hideous,” she told herself.

‘You are not!’ Saya said. At least, she thought she did, but her voice was nothing but empty air. ‘You are not disgusting!’ she attempted to shout. She grasped at her throat as the sound of her voice vanished into nothingness. What was happening? Why was she no longer able to speak? She looked pleadingly and helplessly upon Aria as she continued to insult herself.

“I’m a monster,” Aria admitted to herself. “An unlovable monster.”

“You are a monster,” another voice confirmed, summoning Aria and Saya’s stares toward its source. From the misty shadows emerged Relia who glared at Aria, who seemed to shrink in place under her fierce anger.

“I…” Aria choked.

“You’re abhorrent,” Relia spat. “You think you have any right to defend yourself? After everything you’ve done? Your heart is as cold as it is cruel, assuming you even have one anymore, or ever did.”

“I’m sorry,” Aria trembled and cried. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” she whimpered.

“You just continue to hurt others, continue to do more and more harm. Dipping that wretched sword of yours in innocent blood,” Relia accused, shocking Saya, and further deflating Aria. “You can lie about who you really are all you’d like, but it will never change the truth of what you really are. You’re a monster, and you’ll never be anything else.”

“I’ll always be a monster,” Aria’s voice shook, the energy draining out of it as despair gripped her.

“You’re despicable. You’re a disgusting monster. I hate you,” Relia’s glare intensified. “I hate you, Zerto!” she yelled. Aria looked up in shock to meet Relia’s eyes, only to notice she was not looking at her, but through her at something beyond her. Aria trembled as she turned around to see the king looming upon her.

“I…” Aria collapsed back to the ground as she look up in horror at the man she swore her oath to, the king of Luxur, Zerto.

“I see,” he smirked. “You and I aren’t too dissimilar, are we girl,” he eyed her with malice. Aria’s body began to go limp as she shirked forward in despair.

“No,” she desperately shook her head. “I’m not like you. I can’t be,” she whimpered.

“Of course, we are,” he grinned. “Your father would be proud of you.”

“No! Stop it!” Aria snapped. “You’re wrong! I’m nothing like you!” her body quaked.

“Am I?” he chuckled. “You denied this sham of an illusion and denied this false form, just like I did,” he looked to Saya crying beside them. Aria became paralyzed as his words gripped her. “You denied this so called truth, that those witches spun, just as I had. Just as your father did. You hurt those vile witches. Now go ahead and admit it.”

“I…” Aria trembled, tears rolling down her face. He was right. She did hurt Saya. She did deny her. She rejected and objected to Saya’s identity, just like how Zerto and her father had rejected Relia.

“Stop denying it girl. You know it, and I know it. At your core, you and I are exactly the same. Monsters who can do nothing more than hurt those we pretend to protect,” Zerto snickered. “You hurt her and drag her down. Even now, you prevent her from attempting to liberate my prized son and wife. You are nothing more than a curse upon her. Admit it.”

“I…” Aria’s looked to him in anguish as the doubt gripped deeper into her. “I… am…”

Suddenly a flash of light cut through the mist, pushing the king away as he grumbled in anger. “Stop it! Stop trying to fill her mind with your lies!” Saya’s voice declared, the real princess emerging from the mist. “I will not allow you to sew your insipid lies into her anymore!”

“You ungrateful…” Zerto tried to retort.

“Begone!” Saya shouted. She pulled more mana into her grasp and launched it at the shade of the king, dispelling the phantom.

“Saya,” Aria’s face fell. “I…”

“Aria,” Saya looked at her sadly, kneeling down and pulling her into her embrace. “It will be okay. You are safe now.”

“No,” Aria shook her head. “I’m not the one in danger. It’s you. I…”

“Aria…” Saya held her close, Aria squirming in her grip.

“I’m just a monster, just like him,” Aria’s voice fell to a whisper. “I just keep hurting you. I keep letting you down, and failing you,” she sniffled.

“Oh Aria,” Saya gave a soft sigh as she positioned herself to face her. “You could not be further from the truth,” she smiled. Aria looked at her with weary doubtful eyes. “Please, if you truly were like him, then you would not be full of this doubt and remorse, would you?”

“What do you mean?” Aria looked to her confusedly.

“Zerto, he spent all that time clinging to what he thought Relia should be, to the point that he only continued to cause her more pain, hurting so many in the process. He never doubted his decisions, he never regretted those actions, even when we were children, and even now. And when he was denied, he took mother and made her into an object to punish for his own failures,” Saya frowned.

“But…” Aria shook her head.

“And then there is you,” Saya looked into Aria’s hesitant eyes. “You have been in pain all this time because you once prioritized how you thought I should be over who I really was,” Aria looked down in sorrow. “However, you did not cling to it out of cruel ownership of me. You clung to it out of shame, dragging it as a point of failure of not respecting me enough,” Saya grabbed Aria’s hands. “Do you understand Aria?”

“Understand?” Aria looked up, her gaze heavy and weary.

“If you truly are father’s reflection in my life, then it is only in the way that you are how he should have behaved. You are opposites, a counter to how he was in Relia’s life,” Saya chuckled. “But if you ask me, you do not reflect him at all. You have long since exceeded him in every way.”

“But then, who do I reflect?” Aria frowned.

“You are to me, what mother was to Relia,” she smiled. “My support, my trust, my protector, and above all,” Saya leaned in, “my love,” her lips connected with Aria’s.

Aria began to weep as she met Saya’s lips, sinking into her loving caress. “I’m sorry,” Aria whimpered.

“There, is that better?” Saya smiled, Aria giving a hesitant nod. Saya sighed. “Aria, be truthful.”

“Truthful?” she blinked.

“It is okay,” Saya looked into Aria’s sapphires, her fingers weaving into Aria’s own. “Just as I have given you my burdens and relied on you so many times. You can rely on me too and give me your burdens. No matter what they are, I want to hear them. Being a couple, it means we share our doubts, our fears, our pain. So please, I want to carry them with you, for you. I want to help you,” she smiled, Aria nodding. “So, please, tell me those words you have been carrying all this time.”

“I’m sorry for doubting you,” she cried. “All this time, I tried to bury these feelings, trying to forget I ever felt that way,” she trembled. “Ever since I was a child, I wanted to do right by you. I even bought father’s lies out of fear of hurting you. Then, when Xenia told me to doubt you back then, at first I tried to deny it, but… But then I began to see all the ways you had changed, and how you continued to change. I even began to believe it.”

“I know,” Saya pet her head. “I understand,” she smiled.

“No, you don’t!” Aria snapped, Saya shirking back in shock. “You don’t understand? I rejected you. The person I love more than anything. I denied you and hurt you. I did it back then too, when we were children. Father just had to say those words about if being for your better good, and I believed him. I denied you that simple kindness and left you all alone. And I let that horrible idea fester in my mind and I kept clinging to it, even when it clearly hurt you. I don’t deserve your love. Not after all of that,” she whimpered as she kneeled down, pushing her face into her knees. “I don’t. I just don’t.”

“But Aria,” Saya leaned down. “I forgave you for all that. I said it then, and I will say it now. You may have been misguided, but you were trying to protect me. I could never hate you for that.”

“But you should!” Aria snapped. “You should hate me, yell at me, and just… just…” she cried.

“Aria,” Saya held her close.

“What if I become just like him,” she wept. “What if I am just like him. I’ve already hurt you so much, just like he did.”

“Aria…” Saya hugged her tight, petting her hair. “It is okay. You will never be like him, and I will always stay by your side.”

“I don’t…. I don’t deserve you.”

“But Aria, I want you,” Saya pouted. “There is no one else I want to be with, other than you. You have been there at my darkest moments to save me, but more than that, you have been there to support me at the best moments too. You have laughed with me, cried with me, and loved me. That is all I want. If you do not deserve me, then I would not deserve you either,” she frowned. “And I do not want to give you up. I do not want to be alone, without you.”

“Saya,” Aria looked to her. “You’re not fair, you know that?”

“Neither are you,” Saya chuckled. “I mean, how am I supposed to convince you that you are worthy of me.”

“I mean…”

“You do deserve me. And I want you. And you are not, and never will be like Zerto. Your heart is much too kind,” Saya smiled. “After all, you are crying because you are afraid of hurting me, right? How can someone be afraid of hurting others if they are so cruel hearted?”

“Yeah,” Aria sighed. “I’m sorry for hiding this from you. I… I just didn’t want to weigh you down with… with me feeling inadequate,” she frowned.

“Aria, there’s no way you could ever weigh me down. Your voice is much too high for that,” Saya giggled.

“I…” Aria blinked uncertainly. She began to smile before she started to laugh. “What kind of line is that?” she laughed.

“Oh, just one of yours. Although, one that you would never be able to use on me,” Saya teased.

“I guess so,” Aria giggled. “Saya. I’m so thankful that I have you.”

“I am thankful for you too,” Saya hugged the blushing beauty. “Thank you for trusting me with all of this, Aria,” she smiled, Aria nodding back. “From now on, let us make sure that we talk to each other, okay. We both want to help each other, right?”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Aria nodded. “No more hiding how we feel,” she held Saya close. “Or at least, I’ll do my best not to.”

“That is all that I ask,” Saya sank into her embrace. “I love you, Aria.”

“I love you too, Saya,” Aria held her gentle princess. “I love you so much.”

* * *

Saya took a deep breath, a yawn building in her chest before she began to stretch. “Uwaaa…” she yawned. “Now where am I?” she rubbed her eyes. She looked over to see Aria, matching her movements as she stretched int the pool of water.

“I think we’re back where we started,” she stretched. “Just back at…” she blinked.

“What is wrong?” Saya frowned.

“Your dress, it was white earlier, right?”

Saya looked down, noticing the brilliant blue that dyed her dress. Cyan she believed it was called, with waves of white going through it. She briefly recalled what Phordata had explained about soul dresses and how they would acclimate to their users. She smiled as she held her new garment. “I suppose we must have done a lot for these to change,” she giggled before looking to Aria’s again, a distinctive blush crossing her face.

“What?” Aria asked as she looked down. She blinked in confusion as she lifted the beautiful red garb out of the water. “Red?”

“It is absolutely gorgeous,” Saya said in awe.

“But why red?”

“I think it is a really nice shade on you,” Saya eyed her lovingly. “It makes you look so soft and huggable. In fact,” Saya rose up, threw herself into a hug, an audible splash as Aria stumbled backwards.

“S-Saya,” Aria began to blush.

“It’s rather reminiscent of clay,” a familiar voice answered. The two looking over to notice Lubella rising from her seat and closing her book. “That particular shade does have a relationship to the Earth. A nice and flexible material.”

“Flexible?” Aria repeated.

“Indeed. It is a rather supple and malleable material. I use it every now and again. It’s rather fun, using a gentle and loving touch to help mold and refine it,” she smiled to herself.

“Stop that,” Aria squirmed. “You’re making me feel all weird,” she blushed.

“But she is right, you know,” Saya giggled.

“W-what?” Aria blinked.

“Well,” Saya smiled as she began to tease her fingers along Aria’s curves. “You have become more beautiful as we have gotten closer,” she held Aria’s chest in her palms.

“It is rather fitting. Sculptors do often use water in their crafting to mold clay,” Lubella nodded.

“S-stop it,” Aria stammered. “It’s weird hearing you say that.”

“I agree, she’s Saya’s to tease, Lubella,” Relia giggled as she returned to the room. “It seems like everything worked out in the end. I’m glad.”

“What was that exactly anyway?” Saya asked.

“Well,” Lubella scratched at her cheek. “I imagine you found yourself in Aria’s heart.”

“My heart?” Aria brought her hand to her chest, inspecting it curiously.

“Yes,” Relia nodded. “Like Lubella told you before, it’s necessary for this spell for you two to form an intimate connection. So, she tried pushing you into a situation where you would expose your heart to Saya,” she crossed her arms and pouted. “Although, I do not appreciate the tactics she used.”

“In my defense,” Lubella’s grin twisted. “I had only intended to help her feel vulnerable so she would open her heart to Saya. I did not intend to frighten her like that,” she frowned. “I had no idea that you would respond that way to me bringing up you and Elesa like that,” Aria frowned. “Is something the matter.”

“It is okay,” Saya took her hand. “She has just been carrying a lot of guilt, but I am here to help carry it from now on,” she smiled.

“Saya,” Aria smiled, a gentle blush licking her cheeks.

“I see,” Lubella nodded. “That explains why your connection is so strong now.”

“You mean…” Aria looked to her with excitement.

“Yes,” Lubella nodded. “It is time for you to finally learn how to cast Revalsia.”

20