Chapter 19: Desperation
148 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
Read up to 3 chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Hours slipped by nearly like the tears down the girl’s face. Her energy left her, robbing her of her motivation to move. She curled up in bed as the deluge of her heart seeped into her pillow. She whimpered into its soft embrace, hoping that it would help comfort her, only for it to do little in face of such a downpour.

Eventually a knock came from her door, the hard rap pulling her sluggish body from bed, her body skulking toward the door. “Hello?” she asked with a beleaguered voice.

“Penelope? You look terrible,” a gruff voice responded. She looked up to see the rugged frown of Reginald. “Are you okay?”

“I…” she grabbed at her chest.

“Listen, can I come it?” he asked.

“Fine,” she said slowly moving away from the door, Reginald following her in. “What do you want?” she grumbled.

“I…” Reginald hesitated. “I heard about what happened in the library… with you and Elise,” he admitted, Penelope stopping, gripped in silence. “I headed straight here after hearing about it… I wanted to see how you’re holding up. I wanted to see if you’re okay.”

“Do I look okay?” she spat.

“No… you don’t,” he scratched his head. “Listen, you know how she can get. She…”

“She said she never wants to see me again,” Penelope raised her voice. “What the hell am I supposed to do with that?” she gripped her head.

“Penelope.”

“I can’t Regi. I can’t do this anymore. I can’t…”

“Penelope, listen,” he put his hand on her shoulder. “Think about it. Elise would never say something like that unless…” he grimaced.

Penelope’s eyes shook as she looked desperately at him. “You don’t mean.”

“You know that she’s felt like she’s been losing herself with each sealing. And if she’s trying to push you away, it’s probably because she thinks she doesn’t have any time left,” he gripped her shoulder.

“Then why won’t she ask us for help?” she cried. “She knows that we’ll help her. She…”

“Penelope…” Reginald sighed. “If she’s being defensive, then she may think you’re in danger too. I hate to suggest it, but maybe the priests are threatening her with your safety. And you know that she’d want to keep you…”

“I DON’T CARE!” Penelope yelled. “I DON’T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO ME!” she shook. “I’d give up everything for her.”

“Penelope, listen to yourself,” Reginald shook his head. “What would that…”

“You don’t understand,” she shouted. “I love her Regi!” Reginald’s eyes widened. “I love her…” she gripped her arm. “I love her, and I’d risk everything to save her. I’d do anything to have even one more second with her,” she cried. “I’m not like you. I didn’t stay here because I had faith in the church or my work here. I stayed here for her. To be with her and support her. I only ever wanted to be near her. I don’t care if I get hurt, or excommunicated, or whatever else. I just… What’s the point of me being here if I lose her? I don’t…”

Reginald gripped her shoulders in his grasp. “Then do what you need to,” he smiled. “Neither of us want to lose her. And if the church is willing to do this, then it doesn’t deserve us anyway.”

“Regi…”

“Penelope. You have to find Saya and the others. They need to know. They’re her only hope now,” Reginald stared into her. “She needs them. We need them.”

“But, if I do…”

“Given her behavior, she may not have any more time left. And that means she needs our help now. She’s hurt and afraid, and you’re the only one who can help her now,” he grinned. “And I know she believes in you. Just as I do.”

“But what about you?”

“I’ll do everything I can to distract the priests and paladins so you can get to the others,” he rose up. “I’ll do everything to help both of you.”

“Regi,” she looked at him before pulling at him, hugging him. “Thank you.”

“Go save her,” he said warmly as he shoed her out the door, Penelope nodding before dashing down the hall. “Heh, so that’s how it is, huh?” he looked at his gauntlets and chuckled. “I’m rooting for you Penelope. Go get her.”

Penelope darted down the hall and descended the stairs, emerging at the ground floor of the building. She glanced around, noticing a few eyes looking at her confusedly as she panted. “Calm down,” she told herself. “I need to get to them, and I can’t go attracting attention,” she tried to convince herself. She resumed on her way, trying to regain her natural casual air as she passed the front desk. She glanced to her side, noticing a couple paladins speaking to the clerk, being sure to pass by unnoticed.

“Excuse me, sister,” a deep voice beckoned, a pair of paladins approaching her. “May we have a word?”

“Y-yes?” she responded, attempting to hide her welling suspicion.

“You are sister Penelope, correct?” the other paladin asked, Penelope slowly nodding. “Good, then we well have to ask you come with us.”

“I’m sorry, but I’m busy, and…”

The first paladin grabbed her shoulder, his eyes burrowing into her head. Those steely hard eyes, they were like a steady blade cutting into their enemy. Terror wracked through Penelope as her body began to ignite with anxiety and fear. “This is not a request. Father Denarius has ordered your immediate presence.”

“No! Let me go!” Penelope shouted.

“Quiet now, witch,” the paladin growled.

“Wh-what?” Penelope’s voice shook. Why did he call her that? “I’m not…”

“An ally to a witch, is no different than a witch, herself,” the paladin growled. “You will surrender immediately. Unless it is my steel you are craving.”

“I…” Penelope quaked. Was this the end already? Before she even managed to get onto the street itself? What of Saya and the others? What would become of Elise? What was she supposed to do? How could she escape like this?

Suddenly a loud crash erupted from the upper floor of the building, surprising all the people on the street. Broken glass scattered upon the ground as a large urn flew out of the window. “Oh my god!” a man’s voice yelled. “What are you doing!?” it questioned in panic.

“What is happening up there?” one of the paladins asked.

“I’m not sure,” the other answered. In his confusion, the paladin began to loosen his grip, Penelope quickly seizing the opportunity to pluck her hand out of the paladin’s grasp and dashing into a nearby alley. “Hey!” The paladin reached toward her as she knocked over a stack of barrels, water splashing upon the ground as she fled the scene. “Damned girl! She’s getting away!”

Penelope ran through the alley, taking whatever turns she could to weave through the city in such a way as to lose the paladins and ensure her escape. She swallowed her breath as she ran, willing herself to swallow her breath and keep going.

‘Thank you, Reginald,’ she thought to herself. The voice she heard was a bit exaggerated, but it was definitely his. He created a scene to distract the paladins so she could escape, she was certain of it. ‘You be careful too.’

* * *

“Whew,” Aria swept the sweat from her brow. “We’re finally back,” she sighed as the two approached the inn, shielding her eyes from the afternoon sun. “Thanks for meeting up with us Lillia,” she turned to the young woman.

“No problem,” Lillia giggled. “I was super excited to hear that you two were returning. And waiting for you was a much better use of time than all the research I’ve been doing lately,” she smiled. “By the way, how are you feeling Saya?”

“I feel rather good, actually,” Saya answered. “I am unsure why, but I felt a lot better travelling this time. Perhaps it was a result of knowing the path this time.”

“Perhaps it was our travel companion,” Aria teased. “She did dote on you quite a bit on our way back.”

“That could be it,” Saya giggled.

“And, I’m sure all that cuddling had nothing to do with it,” Aria smirked.

“Hmm, who could say,” Saya teased back, smiling at her knight. Her heart fluttered as she beheld Aria. There was some energy about her recently. Ever since they had connected back at Lubella’s, she felt as if there was some kind of glow coming off of her. She seemed stronger yet softer at the same time. Just thinking about it sent heat to her face. She took a deep breath, trying to focus on the road before her as Aria giggled at her infatuation.

“You two are incorrigible,” Lillia laughed.

“Welcome back,” the man at the desk greeted. After some short, small talk, the three had acquired their room key and ventured to the second floor, entering a familiar yellow hallway. The two quickly entered their room and undid their travel garb, the two donning their soul dresses.

“You look beautiful,” Saya cooed as they walked down the hallway.

“You say that about everything I wear,” Aria blushed as she played at the gentle fabric around her chest.

“Well, I especially mean it this time,” Saya countered. “It really does bring out your best. For instance, it really helps your eyes pop,” she said looking into Aria’s shimmering sapphires.

“Thanks, Saya,” Aria blushed. “Still though, it still feels rather strange to be dressed like this. I feel so vulnerable. I have no idea how you can be so at ease all the time, just with a thin dress.”

“It was intimidating at first,” Saya smiled. “I certainly felt insecure at first. But it also made me feel comfortable too. It just makes me feel good. Being able to present this way, having a garment that shows who I really am. Sure, it can be vulnerable, but it feels so invigorating too.”

“You certainly seem a lot more confident now than before you awakened, Saya,” Lillia noted. “You always seemed so stuffy and awkward before. Same goes for you, Aria,” she looked at her friend. “I know it may be weird now, but it really suits you too.”

“Yeah,” Aria nodded. “It really does feel nice,” she smiled. “I wonder though. Why did I start feeling so vulnerable like that?” she frowned.

“Aria…” Saya looked to her, concern shimmering in her eyes.

“Don’t worry,” Aria smiled. “I won’t let that stop me anymore.”

“I’m confused,” Lillia blinked. “What are you talking about?”

“It is a long story,” Saya sighed. “But basically, while we were gone, Aria had to confront some of her insecurities, particularly that she felt uncomfortable sharing some of her feelings with me,” Lillia looked at Aria concernedly. “Please do not pry,” she frowned, “Aria deserves some privacy.”

“Of course,” Lillia nodded softly. “I just hope everything turned out well.”

“It did,” Aria chuckled. “I just wonder when I became like this. Mom always encouraged my sister and I to be open and caring. I wonder what changed that made me so hesitant to open up,” she rested her face on her palm. “Either way, it’s nice being able to explore this side of myself,” she played at her new necklace, the shiny orange gemstone glimmering as they walked.

“I am glad,” Saya nodded as they came to the appropriate door. “You ready?”

“Yeah,” Aria answered, proceeding to knock on the door. There was a quiet rumbling behind the door before it began to open.

“Aria! Saya!” Nerivi excitedly greeted the group. “Welcome back, you two! Thanks for picking them up, Lillia,” Lillia nodded.

“Sis!” Iris ran to the door.

“Hello there,” Saya giggled.

“Whoa!” Iris looked at Aria as she nervously scratched her cheek. “You look so pretty Aria!”

“You should wear stuff like this more often,” Nerivi grinned.

“Thanks, you two,” Aria smiled.

The group entered the room, reconvening at the table near the window. The group began by going over the situation in Avtalia, the quiet streets, and Iris’s new magitech, which had been stowed in the place Penelope had met them in secret, conveniently out of the sight of the church. Similarly, Honey had been preparing as well, attempting to learn more about the magic of the cathedral, which unfortunately failed to bear any useful information, much to the buna’s frustration.

“And what of you two?” Honey looked to them expectantly. “Did you find the spell you were looking for?”

“Yes, we did,” Saya gloated. “It took some time, but we found a spell that can save Elise and mom! Miss Lubella taught us everything about it.”

“Lubella, huh?” Honey smiled softly.

“Lubella?” Iris looked to them curiously.

“Is that the witch up North?” Nerivi asked. “Strange, I feel I’ve heard that name somewhere before.”

“That may be because she was the crown princess of Ethnerta before it fell,” Saya explained, shocking her older sisters and Nerivi.

“I’m glad she’s doing well,” Honey frowned. “I still regret not keeping better touch with everyone.”

“I understand,” Saya smiled. “You and Aunt Phora wanted to carry on mom’s wish to watch over the Fairy Spring in the Dark Forest, right?” Honey looked at them in surprise. “I imagine you two retreated there hoping to cling to what little you had left of her, especially given how everything ended back then.”

“Saya?” Honey looked at her confusedly, “how do you know that? We never showed the spring to you, nor told you about it.”

“That…” Saya’s voice sank. Aria took her hand and smiled to her, anchoring the grieving princess.

“Lubella wasn’t the only witch we met. We also met Queen Elesa’s lover, Relia,” she explained, Honey’s eyes widening in shock.

“Relia is…” Honey trembled, quietly beginning to weep. “I…”

“Aunt Honey?” Iris frowned.

“Mom’s lover?” Lillia questioned.

“Yes,” Saya nodded. “She is a very kind woman. A witch who awakened like me and was brought to Ethnerta to learn how to use magic. That was when they met and fell in love.”

“I’m so glad,” Honey smiled. “I was so worried.”

“Worried? About what?” Iris asked.

“That’s right, when you last saw her, she was still in really bad shape, wasn’t she?” Aria asked, Honey nodded. “She’s better now. Well, as better as she can be.”

“She still misses mom a lot,” Saya frowned. “She told us everything that happened in Ethnerta.”

“Those two were so close,” Honey sighed. “I’m glad she’s managed to endure the pain for so long. It can’t be easy being separated like they’ve been.”

“Lubella seems to have supported her through the worst of it,” Aria smiled. “She helped us too,” she smiled to Saya, the princess nodding in turn. “And actually, about her. She returned here with us.”

“She’s here?” Honey looked at them confusedly. “But where?”

“Lillia?” Iris looked to Lillia concernedly.

“I didn’t see her,” Lillia frowned. “Though they did mention a traveling partner on our way back.”

“We decided that she should keep her distance until we figure out a plan,” Saya explained. “After all, we suspect they may be looking for her too like they have been Aunt Phora.”

“She’s waiting near a small rest stop we found a bit aways from the city walls,” Aria elaborated.

“I see, so, I suppose we should start putting together our plan. Then she can join us and save her highness,” Nerivi grinned. “Why don’t we start by going over everything from the beginning, everyone okay with that?” the others nodded. “Let’s start with our objectives. We have two major ones and a potential third.”

“A potential third?” Aria raised her eyebrow.

“You may have forgotten with all of our training,” Saya answered, “but we did not come just to save mom or sister. It was to investigate what happened to the demons as well.”

“Oh, right,” Aria nodded. “So, that means our objectives are to save Elise, save Elesa, and figure out how to save the demons, assuming we find evidence of them in the cathedral.”

“Given everything we’ve experienced, I’d assume they’re here,” Honey commented. “Saya and Iris felt their energy before, and then there’s that dark mist you mentioned before.”

“Speaking of, have you guys learned anything more about it?” Aria asked.

“Not exactly,” Lillia frowned. “There’s plenty of things that seem to point to their presence here, but nothing concrete. It’s as if they move around the city and then just vanish.”

“Vanish?” Aria repeated.

“That’s right,” Nerivi grimaced. “The trail seems to end near the cathedral, but even that’s inconsistent.”

“Aria, do you think…” Saya looked to the knight as she cupped her chin, her face calm with consideration.

“Yeah, I do. I think they may be using those corridors that Penelope showed us before. It’s likely they stretch throughout the city, so it wouldn’t be unthinkable,” Aria stated. “But why move them around like that?”

“I’m not sure,” Lillia frowned. “But I think that they’re normally accompanied by the priests, who monitor them.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. I felt some of their magic before, and when Lillia and I investigated, she sensed some of the magic she was taught,” Iris explained. “It seems like they’re trying to keep them secret. Maybe from more than just the people.”

“I wonder who else they could be keeping them secret from” Saya thought aloud.

“We’ve been speculating that it may be some conflict in the church itself,” said Lillia. “Not everyone got along at the abbey I was sent to. Penelope and Reginald have implied the same is true for the cathedral as well.”

“Conflict?” Aria repeated. A sneaky grin began to spread upon her face.

“Oh ho, seems you’ve already picked up on what I did,” Nerivi grinned as well. “Glad to see your time away hasn’t dulled your senses.”

“What do you mean?” Saya asked.

“If there’s conflict, we might be able to use that,” Aria explained. “If the demons are being kept a secret, then we might be able to exploit that to cause the church to fight itself while we rescue Elise and Queen Elesa.”

“Which means we should make that the core of our strategy. I think we should start by…” she began, a knock at the door interrupting her. “Hmm? I wonder, who could that be?” she puckered her lips in consideration. “I’ll get it,” she said, approaching the door and opening it.

“N-Nerivi,” Penelope panted.

“Penelope?” Nerivi looked at her frightfully the others gathering behind her.

“Is something wrong?” Saya asked approaching the priestess. “You look horrible.”

“Elise…” Penelope breathed heavily. “You have to help her…” she looked to Saya pleadingly, tears filling her eyes.

“Breathe,” Nerivi instructed. “What’s happening?”

Penelope nodded, taking a deep breath. “This morning… Elise, she came to me and told me she never wanted to see me again,” she gripped her cloak, the others looking at her witch shock and confusion.

“What? But, sister would never…” Saya protested.

“I know,” Penelope frowned. “I was so hurt I didn’t think about it, but I realize now that she must’ve been trying to protect me.”

“Protect you?”

“Reginald, he helped me put it together,” she trembled. “They must be trying to seal her away again and want to force us away from her.”

“They? You mean the priests?” Saya asked, Penelope nodding in confirmation.

“If that’s true, then we need to come up with that plan, quick,” Aria stated. “We have to…”

“There’s no time for that!” Penelope shouted. “The paladins, they’ve been chasing me since I ran from home. And I’m sure you’re all being targeted as well.”

“You mean you led them here?” Nerivi nearly shouted.

“You don’t get it!” Penelope argued. “They were going to come here for you even if I didn’t!” she quaked. “Please. I have no one else to turn to,” she began to cry. “I’m so afraid. What if they take her away for good this time?”

“We won’t let that happen,” Aria held her shoulder, Penelope looking with desperate hope in her eyes, the now crying priestess nodding. “So, looks like it’s do or die time,” Aria looked to the others.

“It’ll be difficult,” Honey sighed. “But we can’t abandon her,” she looked to Penelope. “I assume she’s in the cathedral?”

“That’s where they have taken her to before when they’ve sealed her,” Penelope confirmed, wiping away her tears. “Thank you.”

“No need for thanks,” Saya smiled. “If anything, we must thank you for coming to let us know.”

“Aria, go get your equipment,” Nerivi looked to her.

“Already ahead of you,” Aria touched the gemstone hanging from her necklace, prompting it to glow. In a sudden flash, her armor appeared over her body, surprising the others.

“How did you?” Nerivi gawked.

“It was a gift from Relia,” she chuckled. “She gave it to me as a way to help me protect Saya,” her girlfriend nodding enthusiastically. “Speaking of, we’ll have to send her some sort of signal to let her know what’s going on.”

“Maybe Aunt Honey and I can send some signal into the air,” Saya looked to Honey who nodded in agreement.

“There’s one more thing too,” Iris interrupted. “I hate to ask this of you Nerivi, especially now of all times, but would you please go retrieve the magitech?”

“Is that really that important right now?” Honey wondered.

“No, I think she’s right,” Nerivi grumbled. “If they wind up deciding to use the demons against us, then we’ll be in big trouble. It’s still untested, but it’s better than fighting and potentially killing them, or worse…”

“Right,” Saya nodded. “Then we shall go our separate ways, but should someone else…”

“I should be fine alone,” Nerivi grinned. “They should be focusing on all of you, so I’ll be in less danger as it is. Besides, I’m capable enough to take care of a good number of those pushovers.”

“Good,” Aria smirked. “Well then, are we all ready, then?” the others nodded. “Let’s go! For Elise!”

“For Elise!” the others shouted.

* * *

“Come on,” Penelope waved them down the street. “We should be able to sneak to the cathedral if we go through the alley,” she explained as she pulled her hood up.

“Will they be safe?” Aria asked.

“Safer than the main streets,” Penelope nodded. “They sprawl across the city, making it difficult for the paladins to survey all of them. From there we just have to make our way to the passage that you three used to escape last time.”

“My, oh my,” a voice chortled, the group stopping and looking for its source. Before they could respond, a bolt of magic struck Penelope, Aria quickly catching the priestess as she stumbled back. “You’ve been a naughty girl, sister,” a disheveled priest approached. “You thought you were the only one clever enough to use the alleyways around here.

“Father Tromell,” Penelope’s voice shook.

“You!” Lillia glared.

“Ah, if it isn’t the treacherous priestess. Or perhaps treacherous princess is a better description,” he grinned. “I must thank you for bringing these vile witches out into the open for us. Alas, that won’t be enough to forgive your sins…”

“Where’s my sister!?” Lillia shouted, shocking the man.

“Such a short temper,” he scratched the back of his head. “As for the prince, Zerv’s being taken care of right now.”

“Elise,” Penelope’s voice shook.

“Are you for real?” Tromell cringed. “You truly have affection for such an aberration?”

“How dare you!” Aria growled, unsheathing her blade. “You think we’ll let you get away with calling her that?”

“Aria, wait!” Saya’s voice rang on deaf ears.

“Heh,” Tromell snapped his fingers, a collection of paladins emerging behind him, each brandishing their swords towards the group. “You may as well give up. It’s not like you’re going to make it to the cathedral, or out of the city. You’re just going to die here.”

Lillia glanced around, noticing paladins gathering around them, she winced. “No… He was just trying to distract us this whole time. Now we’re surrounded.”

“That’s right,” Tromell sneered. “Be sure to make their deaths swift. Even sinners such as they deserve a swift death. And for the love of our lord, do not allow them to escape,” he instructed. He eyed their girls, savoring the despair of the two priestesses as well as the witch and her knight… and then his grin twisted in confusion. Was the knight grinning? And the two witches behind her, what were they… his eyes went wide. “No! Don’t tell me you were…”

“You weren’t the only one biding time,” Aria declared, shocking the three girls before her as well as the priest and his paladins. Aria swiped her sword, a wave of water surging towards the opposing paladins, knocking them back, large dents gouging into their armor.

Tromell glowered in anger, revealing a wand from his belt. “Lord, punish the impure with your righteous might!” he roared, as he fired a blast at Penelope, the girl cringing in shock.

“Penelope!” Saya rushed to her side. “Aquell!” she shouted, a barrier of water forming before her. “Are you okay, sister?” Penelope nodded in answer.

“Now!” Aria commanded. “Iris, Honey!”

“Right,” the two witches responded. They channeled their mana into a pair of spheres, launching them to the other side of the street. The two spheres flew through the air, gravitating towards each other until they collided. Aria lunged forward, anchoring Saya, Lillia, and Penelope, as a powerful wind burst from the spheres, throwing the paladins to the wall. Then a plume black mist launched into the air. With a loud bang, the plume seemed to burst, expelling the dark mist towards the ground, obscuring all in its dark mass. Clangs of armor and confused footsteps filled the air as the paladins stumbled around, lost in the smoke.

“You insufferable…” Tromell coughed. “Do not allow them to reach the cathedral!”

“Come on!” Aria exclaimed as the group ran through the alley. Fortunately for them, the chaos from their attacks seemed to throw the paladins into disarray, opening a path into the alley, allowing them to flee. “Penelope, are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” Penelope gasped. “But Tromell, his spell broke my wand. I won’t be able to open the secret passage now!”

“Then we have no choice but to use the main entrance!” Honey responded, several of the others grimacing. “I know, but for now, just focus on running. We’ll figure out the rest when we get there!”

“We’re almost there!” Penelope exclaimed as they emerged at the cathedral’s main stairway, beginning their way up. “Hang in the Elly,” she whispered to herself.

“Hurry, inside!” Aria instructed as the group scrambled towards the cathedral. Aria looked back, panting and grimacing as she spotted paladins beginning to gather at the base of the stairs, preparing to make their own way up. “We don’t have a lot of time before they get up here,” she looked up at the giant doors before her as she made her way inside. “If only there was a way to lock this.”

“Maybe there is,” Iris walked over, investigating the door. “Saya, Aunt Honey, come over here.”

“You have an idea sister?” Saya looked at the doors with her.

“I do,” Iris nodded. “These doors are made of wood, and they’re lined with metal. I think we can use our magic to bind them together.”

“Is that really possible?” Saya asked.

“I think she may be on to something,” Honey nodded, her ears bouncing eagerly. “Phora has sometimes used her magic to bond two plants together by using the water between them.”

“That’s right,” Iris nodded. “Plants, trees included, have a bunch of water that flows through them. If you use your magic, you might be able to fuse the doors together.”

“Would that be enough?” Saya wondered.

“Not on its own. But with my lightning magic, I can charge the metal to magnetize them to each other. Neither one will be a permanent solution, but together, they may be enough to stop the paladins,” Iris grinned.

“I do not know what you mean by magnetize them, but I trust you,” Saya nodded. “Aunt Honey, you lead.”

“Right,” Honey accepted as they approached the door. Aria grinning at them.

“Iris sure is creative, huh,” Aria smirked.

“She sure is,” Lillia giggled. “What do we do from here though?”

“We’ll have to go in the way we did last time,” Penelope frowned. “Fortunately, I don’t think there will be many paladins left, but…”

“There’s the priests and priestesses,” Lillia’s voice fell.

“I don’t think they’ll be too difficult,” Aria crossed her arms proudly. “No offense, but your spells tend to be slower and less powerful than the stuff those three can do. Heck, that Tromell guy’s spell managed to hit you, and all it really did was break that wand of yours.”

“That’s true,” Penelope laughed. “Elise would even say the same thing about the magic she practiced child even.”

“That she practiced as a…” Aria quietly repeated before shaking her head. “Yeah, their magic is rather impressive.”

“Then it’s quality versus quantity then,” Lillia chuckled. “Yes, I think they may be…” her voice slowed to a stop as she looked off to the shadowed walls, her eyes following an odd light. “That is… GET DOWN!” she yelled, pulling Aria down as a glowing sphere flew through the air.

“What in the world was that?” Aria asked, turning to face its source, eyeing a shadowed passage along the wall. “What!?” A group of priests began to fill into the main chamber as shadowy beings shambled beside them. “Dammit, we were right,” she mumbled as she looked upon the limp dark wings hanging off the mysterious beings. “The demons from Ilo’s experiments.”

The priests sneered as their malicious laughter filled the hall, one raising his hand before a single snap resounded through the space, the collection of demons rising to their masters’ commands, staring onward with their vacant red eyes, flames conjuring in their hands before being fired through the air.

A large gale shrieked through the hall, whisking the spheres of flames away and hurtling them around the room. “Aria!” Honey called as the group gathered in the center of the room, preparing for combat.

“What do we do?” Aria glanced to Honey. “Nerivi isn’t back yet, so we can’t free them. And if we fight them…”

“We can’t worry about that right now,” Honey responded bluntly the others looking to her confusedly. “Aria, you take Saya and go. The rest of us will stay here and hold them off.”

“But Aunt Honey, we cannot just leave you!” Saya protested.

“Saya!” Honey snapped, shocking the girl. “You two are the only ones who can save those two. Iris and I can hold our own, and Penelope and Lillia should know spells that should be effective against demons, as well as know how to handle the priests. We’ll be fine.”

“But…”

“Please, Saya,” Penelope’s voice shook, the priestess looking to her pleadingly. “You’re the only one who can save her.”

Saya stood there for a second, taking in their requests. She took a breath and nodded. “I will,” she took Aria’s hand, the knightess smiling at her. “WE will save her.”

“Good luck everyone,” Aria gripped Saya’s hand. “Let’s go, Saya,” Saya nodding as they darted for the secret entrance.

“Stop them!” one of the priests yelled, before his voice was suppressed by a gale of wind as their battle began in earnest. The pair crashed through the door, descending into the depths of the cathedral.

13