Chapter 22: Devil’s Sneer
135 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 
We're coming up on the end of Book 3 of The Witches of Floroma. There's still a few more chapters left, plus an epilogue, but the end is in sight now. Thanks for bearing with me. :)

CWs:

Spoiler

This chapter contains situations of abuse, forceful transformation, and violence.

[collapse]

Read up to 3 chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Elise shook in place as her tormentor approached. “Please stop,” Elise whimpered. She looked to her left, her sister lying on the ground, shadowy chains constricting her in place. On her right, Penelope writhed in pain as similar chains dug deep into her skin. “Please stop hurting them,” she cried, fighting against the pain. Invisible blades stabbed into her, the witchbane in Risia’s hand almost growling with rage in the priestess’s grip. “Please, leave us alone. I just wanted to be free.”

“You think you have the right to ask for anything after what your kind has done to us?” Risia said coldly. “You can suffer just like how you witches have made others suffer for as long as you monsters have existed. You act all innocent, pretending that the horrors you’ve committed have nothing to do with you,” she sighed.

“What have I done wrong?” Elise sniffled. “All I ever wanted was to just be me. I just wanted to be happy with mom. Just living as her daughter as we lived our lives. I never sought to hurt others. I even tried to suppress my powers so I wouldn’t trouble father. I…”

“But you didn’t suppress them, did you?” Risia glared at her, the young woman quivering beneath her. “You know what I’m talking about. You hurt some good people that day.”

“That wasn’t my fault!” Elise yelled. “I was just trying to protect myself. If I didn’t…”

“You would’ve gotten hurt? Like the people who were hurt because of the magic you couldn’t control?” Elise trembled at her words as she recalled the wails that followed that horrid moment. The moment that ruined her life.

“I…”

“Face it, witch,” Risia hissed. “Your existence does nothing but hurt others. If you don’t want to repent for that and return to the young man you were meant to be, then so be it. There’s another way I can make you answer for the suffering you’ve caused and atone for your crimes.” The witchbane became cloaked in a shadowy torrent of wind as the priestess gripped it in her hand. “But I am a merciful woman. I’ll be sure to end it quickly.” She rose the witchbane’s edge towards the weeping witch and readied herself for the final blow.

“AQUELL!” a woman’s voice called out. A stream of water rushed from the far hallway, where Elise and the others had entered from. Risia flinched as the water forced her back. She grimaced she spotted a sword lunge towards her. From the surge of water emerged a woman, her blonde hair seeming to glimmer as she dashed through the wave. The woman stood tall, her pure blue eyes sending a noble glare upon the reeling priestess.

“Nerivi!” Lilia called weakly. “You came!”

“The princess of Biosia?” Risia cringed. “But you shouldn’t be able to use…” she looked down into the hallway. “How many of you foul creatures are you!?”

From the shadows emerged a woman with a determined look in her ruby red eyes. Dark blue hair fluttered behind her as she marched toward the priestess. The priestess slashed towards the woman, a blade of energy launching towards her. “Froll!” Relia spoke, a splash of water freezing before her and absorbing the magical blade.

“Damned witch!”

“You speak of suffering as if the church hasn’t tormented us. As if you don’t ignore the cruelties and injustices you have done to us,” Relia retorted. “I know that some witches have done terrible things. I’m certain many of my old friends lashed out after how you and the armies of Luxur slaughtered our people and destroyed our homes. I certainly felt that kind of anger and despair,” her eyes sank with sadness. “That kind of loss and pain is… indescribable,” she sighed.

“What’s your point?” Risia snarled.

“My point is that those witches you despise were driven by the same feelings you are now,” Relia answered her. “They were heartbroken and angry. They lost their family and homes thanks to the very cloth you wear. Just as you have plagued this girl…” she looked to Elise, who returned her gaze with hopeful hesitation. “Just as you’ve hurt my daughters with your malice.”

“Daughters?” Risia blinked as she looked at Relia in shock, matched by Elise and Lilia’s own.

“And I will not let you to hurt them anymore!” Relia shouted. “Nerivi!”

“I’m with you!” Nerivi answered.

“AQUELL!” Water gathered upon Nerivi’s blade. “LUMSA!” The water began to glow with a fierce light. Nerivi charged forth with her blade of light, the magic beating back the blades of magic that Risia continued to unleash, forcing the priestess further back.

“Die!” Risia screamed, a burst of wind knocking Nerivi skyward, forcing her to crash upon the ground.

“That was…” Relia looked toward the priestess with shock. She eyed her blade, instantly recognizing what it was. She expected herself to become enraged by seeing one again, but something was different. The magic coming from it felt strange, sad even. Before she could make sense of it, Risia made another slash with the witchbane, launching a series of shadowy tendrils toward Nerivi. “RASHEL!” Relia chanted, light gathering around Nerivi and dispelling the offending shadows.

“How!?” Risia seethed. “How are you able to use magic in here?”

“Heh,” Nerivi smirked. “Looks like Iris was right.”

“The small one?” Risia grumbled.

“Yeah,” she looked toward Relia’s feet, spying the Iris’s magitech on the ground. “She thought you folks would try to jam their magic, and worked with Honey to put a charm on it to protect its wielder.”

“That conniving,” Risia gripped the witchbane. “That won’t save you!” She slashed at the ground, a flurry of shadow converging into a twister, which began to fly towards Nerivi.

“That won’t stop me,” Nerivi roared. She kneeled down to ground herself, then readied her sword, preparing to stab forth. She leaned in and lunged at the twister, her enchanted blade plunging into the dark winds. The blade’s light exploded, droplets of light flying in all directions as the twister was dispelled.

“How?” Risia shouted with rage.

“That was…” Relia stared at Risia’s witchbane with bewilderment. There was something strange about it.  The magic was reaching out to something, as if it were tightly confined and it desired to be free. It… desired to be free? Relia looked at Risia for another moment considering the peculiar circumstances and then began to grin. She had an idea. “Nerivi!” she called out, the knightess nodding in confirmation. “AQUELL! LUMSA!” she chanted, coating Nerivi’s blade in glowing water once more.

Nerivi set herself to charge at Risia. Before the priestess could ready herself, the princess knight’s sword was already upon her, forcing her opponent to desperately dodge her assault. All the while Relia stood on behind her, slowly drawing mana to herself. It was difficult, even with her experience, to draw the latent mana out of the dark mist. She had been able to thus far with ease, but the chamber’s mana had seemed to deplete itself thanks to the Devil’s Despair, even with the charm’s protection. It didn’t help that Risia’s flagrant use of the mana hungry witchbane sapped even more mana from around them. However, there was still just enough left for what she needed to do, even if it would be a more demanding task than she had initially believed.

“Oh, wondrous willful waves,” Relia began to chant, a certain dampness forming around her as the water on the ground began to rise. “Well unto me and flow with your infinite might,” she continued, the bodies of water slowly flowing around her and slowly merging into a single flowing ring. “Surge and tear with your endless form and become my blade!” Her voice rose in volume and power, summoning the gaze of the two weakened priestesses and the ailing witch to her side to gaze upon her with awe. She rose her arms, the ring of water floating higher and spinning faster, causing foam to form upon its slender whirring body.

“Nerivi!” Lilia managed to call out, with what little strength she had remaining. The dualing priestess and princes glanced towards Relia, their blades relaxing as fright gripped them. Relia glanced towards the knightess with a commanding look, Nerivi knowing instantly what she had to do. She dashed to the side as Risia looked on in shock and horror.

“N-no…” Risia stared at the ring of water.

“Raging Torrent!” Relia shouted. She threw her hands forward. The ring of water seemed to buzz with excitement as it launched towards Risia. The priestess instinctively held up the witchbane like a sword, desperately praying for it to be enough to stop the witch’s assault.

The blade stood firm against the raging onslaught. The immense pressure caused the ring to start rupturing, water squirting out like geysers around the priestess. Risia grinned as the witchbane seemed to dispel the witch’s powerful offense. She flashed a menacing grin towards the witch out of spite. She was going to win, and the witch, despite her best attempts, couldn’t stop her.

However, Relia’s calm look spoke a different story, much to Risia’s confusion and surprise. Relia seemed at ease, almost as if she knew something the priestess didn’t. She looked back towards the diminishing ring of water. Her eyes grew wide as a horrifying realization overtook her.

A blade erupted through the ceaseless torrent and struck the witchbane. It cleaved the weapon in two, shearing the blade from its grip. Immediately, the water tore the barrier to shreds, its force hurling Risia to the wall, as the remains of the witchbane clattered to the ground. The hateful tool emitted a powerful light, the sundered blade exploding in a flash of light, leaving only a ruined handle in Risia’s grasp. The priestess coughed and heaved as she tried to shoot a glare at the one who ruined her plans. Nerivi stood there with a proud smile, causing even greater fury to build within the now defeated priestess.

“Stay there,” Nerivi smirked. “We’ll deal with you later.”

“Damn… you,” Risia huffed.

“Relia, how are they?” Nerivi turned towards the witch.

“They’ll be fine,” Relia smiled. “They’re a bit banged up, but nothing too serious fortunately.”

“Relia?” Elise looked to the woman with awe and confusion. “Who are you?”

“I’m not sure either,” Penelope frowned. “I think Saya mentioned her before.”

“Yes,” Lillia said as she rose to her feet. She looked to the woman with a gentle smile. “So, you’re her. Mom’s beloved.”

“Mom’s…” Elise repeated, her cheeks quickly filling with red, Penelope’s following suit. “Then…”

“Yes,” Relia smiled. “Your mother and I were rather close until your father took her away from me,” she frowned, the others lips dropping with hers. “But, that’s why I’m here. I’m going to save her.”

“Yeah,” Penelope nodded. “We’ve already saved Elise. We can save her too.” She gripped Elise’s hand, the young princess smiling back to her.

“So, you’re Elise,” Relia smiled. “I’m glad. Your sister was so eager to save you. I’m glad it all worked out.”

“Well, it has mostly,” Elise frowned.

“Elise?” Penelope frowned.

“My magic hasn’t returned to me yet,” she gripped her hand. “Risia said they made that witchbane from my mana. What if that means it doesn’t come back.”

“She made it with your mana?” Relia asked with a shocked look, the others nodding. She turned to face Risia, glaring upon the priestess. “Explain!”

“Heh,” Risia coughed. “As much as I would like to gloat about how we stole her magic for good, that would be untrue. A witch’s mana replenishes too easily to be stopped like that. It’s been quite the trouble with her and the great priestess. That’s part of why we needed to conduct so many rituals to siphon off their mana.”

“Then… why can’t I use my magic?” Elise wondered.

“I do not know,” Risia confessed. “It should be diminished perhaps, but not gone.”

“You’re rather talkative all of a sudden,” Nerivi noted.

“Yeah, and she’s not calling Elise names anymore,” Lillia observed.

“That’s…” Risia began. But she couldn’t explain. She didn’t know what to say, because she didn’t understand it herself. “Because Elise…” she rose her fingers to her lips, shocked by the name that escaped her lips.

“W-what’s happening to her?” Lillia stammered.

“Her hair is…” Penelope stared as Risia’s shoulder length hair seemed to grow longer and longer. And it wasn’t just growing, it was changing too. Penelope could only glance toward Elise who rose her own hair to her eyes.

“Why is it like mine?” Elise wondered as she stared at the priestess with confusion.

“My hair?” Risia grabbed at her locks. Her face twisted with confusion as she began to realize her hair was longer than it was before, but more startling was its color. “Wh-what…?” Risia’s voice shook as familiar lavender hair came into view, similar to the girl she had antagonized just moments before. In her panic, she felt a cold breeze surround her. She looked down to her hand in horror, an unfamiliar sensation dancing within it. She knew what it was. She had used it every day when conducting rituals and spells, but not once had she channeled it so quickly, easily, and more frightfully impulsively. “Oh god, please no!” she gripped her head. “What have you done to me!?” she shouted. “Please, this cannot be happening! I cannot be turning into one of them!”

Relia looked upon her in confusion as she watched mana bubble through the priestess. It was a familiar sight, one that she had seen many a time when newly awakened witches came to Ethnerta. She was suddenly overcome by a nostalgic feeling. It was a sense of duty she had, if only for a short year, but it was something she held with pride and honor. She took a breath and approached the woman, who shrank back in fear. “It’s okay,” Relia patted her head. “You’re going to be okay,” she smiled.

Risia flinched at her touch as an unfamiliar sensation filled her. She wasn’t sure what was coming over her, but those gentle words soothed her. No matter how much she wanted to resist and scream, the gentle touch was enough to calm her. Elise watched as the woman took on a familiar yet different appearance. She looked to Penelope who looked to her with uncertainty. And then Penelope began to smile, giving a gentle nod, urging Elise forward. Elise approached Risia, the once priestess looking at her with a frightful look. “Guess we both have a lot to get used to.”

“I’m confused,” Nerivi crossed her arms. “What’s happening.”

“I imagine it was the witchbane,” Relia commented as she rose to her feet. “While we were fighting, I could feel its magic trying to escape. And when we broke it, I think it tried to find somewhere, or rather someone to take it in.”

“Yeah,” Elise nodded. “And it was my mana, so…” she looked to Risia who looked away in shame. Ashamed of what she had become. Ashamed of her failure. Ashamed of the feelings welling within her.

Nerivi looked to the two witches then sighed. “You two are so soft,” she grumbled. “She was trying to kill us a few minutes ago, and now you’re more worried about how to help her, aren’t you.”

“I mean…” Relia blushed.

“Nah, it’s okay,” Nerivi chuckled. “You don’t have to explain. It’s kind of inspiring really.”

“Yeah,” Relia nodded. “I have a duty to watch over her,” she said, mostly to herself. “I’ll watch over all of you,” she looked to Risia then turned to the others with a gentle smile. The others returned with a gentle smile of their own.

“However,” Nerivi sighed. “You don’t have time for that,” she stated, Relia looking to her with uncertainty. “You have somewhere else to be, right?”

“Elesa,” Relia frowned.

“She’s beyond there,” Lillia pointed to the passage beyond them. “Saya and Aria went on ahead. And you should be with them,” she smiled.

“She needs you more than we do,” Nerivi winked.

“Thank you,” Relia felt herself tear up.

“I’ll take care of things here, and I’ll keep an eye on her and the others,” Nerivi confidently placed her hand on her hip. “Meanwhile, you go and help them.” She grabbed Relia’s hand, and placed it on the Witchytech in her grasp, “Iris isn’t here right now, but I’m sure she’d be happy to know it helped protect you when you save her mom.”

“Yeah,” Relia nodded. She turned to the others one last time. “I’m off then. And I promise, I’ll come back with her!”

* * *

The halls were dark and cramped and seemed to stretch on without end. Saya took a deep breath, trying desperately to fight off the building anxiety as they proceeded on. Aria’s footsteps send the clattering of metal through the air, disrupting the ominous atmosphere the slightest bit. It was enough for Saya, giving her a stable anchor to hold onto. Aria squeezed her hand, dispelling the frightful weight from her for another moment.

“Relax,” Aria chuckled. “We seem to be alone.”

“True,” Saya agreed. “It does little to help my nerves though.”

“I bet, especially since you’re still afraid of the dark,” Aria teased.

“I am not!” Saya protested. “I was afraid when we were kids, but I am not anymore. Last I checked, you were the one with the fright of the dark.”

“You remember that, huh?” Aria scratched at her cheek.

“Of course, I do. I saw it myself during our training,” Saya said with a slight huff to her voice. “You cannot deceive me.”

“Yeah, not anymore,” Aria giggled somewhat nervously. Saya blinked then frowned.

“I am sorry. This must be hard on you too,” Saya apologized. “If either of us needs comforting it would be you. Yet, here I’ve been more stressed for myself.”

“No, no, I’m fine,” Aria held her hand tight. “There’s nothing to be afraid of with you by my side.”

“Aria…”

“We’re going to save her, Saya. No one can stop us now. And if anyone tries, I’ll be there to stop them.”

“Aria,” Saya smiled happily. “Huh?”

“What’s this?” Aria wondered aloud. “This is nothing like the chambers we passed earlier.”

They came to a massive chamber with large pillars lining its immensity. It was overwhelmingly large, larger than the throne room back in Luxur, and flooded with the dark mist of the Devil’s Despair. The two looked to the other, and with a reaffirming nod, they proceeded. An unseen lip dropped them into the mist, the once ankle deep miasma now fully engulfing them.

“This is unpleasant,” Saya trembled slightly.

“Yeah. Even I can feel it. It’s suffocating,” Aria grimaced. “I can’t even tell if it’s malicious or just plain sad.”

“Aaaah!” They heard a scream in the distance.

“Waaaah!” They heard another.

“You bastard!” Another shouted.

“Please make stop!” Yet another pleaded.

Scream after scream, the two stood there in shock, paralyzed by the pained shrieks of agony and anger.

“What is this?” Aria asked.

“I… It feels like…” Saya clutched her chest. She had felt this feeling before. This unusual feeling. It was more alien and perverse, but… She looked to Aria who looked back confusedly. “It is more intensive, but it feels like when our hearts first connected. Like the forest in your heart. But it is wrong, as if many people’s hearts were left here in anguish.”

“Left here?” Aria repeated.

“I do not know how to explain it,” Saya looked to the mist with sadness. “But I think some may have died here and caused this substance to appear. But some feel hollower than others. It’s as if their hearts managed to escape, but not their pain.”

“I wonder what caused this?” Aria wondered. “Was the cathedral put here to contain this? Or for some other reason?”

“I do not know,” Saya mumbled. “But we must push forward. To find mom.”

“But which way is forward?” Aria wondered. “I can’t see a thing.”

“Nor can I,” Saya sighed. “But… wait a moment,” she said, reaching into her pocket, retrieving a special item.

“Relia’s bracelet!” Aria looked upon it in awe.

“Mother used this to find Relia before,” Saya recalled. “Hopefully, it can lead us to her as well.” She gripped it, channeling what mana into the object that she could. In no time, the bracelet began to glow, much to her glee. “There we go!” She cheered. “Let’ go Aria! Let’s go save her!”

“Right behind you!” Aria declared as the two took off running, chasing the bracelet’s light.

10