Chapter 23: Elesa – The Great Priestess
153 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
We're quickly reaching the end of The Witches of Floroma - The Holy Prison. Happy to finally show you all what I've been working on all this time.
 
Read the final 3 chapters early on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Emi_the_Fairy
Join my Discord for updates: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

At long last, the pair arrived at a mysterious door that towered over them. Saya stared upon the door as the gentle blue light of Relia’s bracelet blended into an eerier blue light emanating from the engravings on the darkened door. The light seemed to beckon them to take the final steps of their long trek. Saya clutched Relia’s bracelet and brought it to her chest. Thoughts of the sweet woman entered her mind. Her immense kindness, her sweet compassion, and the undying love she had for her mother. Saya took a deep breath. She was not doing this just for herself, nor just for her mother’s sake, but all those who pined to be with her again. Her aunts, Relia, Lubella, her sisters, Aurith, and surely countless others she had yet to meet. She carried their hopes… and beyond this door was who they sought to reach.

“Are you ready, Saya?” Aria asked, breaking their silence.

Saya took a deep breath and took another moment to ready herself. She thought of Iris clinging to her with a tearful look in her eye, desperate to see their mother again. She thought of Lillia standing beside her with a bold smile to encourage her. She could almost feel Aurith’s hand grip her shoulder, entrusting her with the task. Xenia gave her a gentle side hug with a strong fiery look in her eye and a confident smile on her lips. Finally, Elise gave her a gentle fragile smile, desperate to cling to hope, yet clearly scared of losing what she had only just reclaimed. She felt her siblings push her on, entrusting their hopes and wills upon her. It was a heavy feeling, but it was also calming in its own right. Reassuring her that she was here with others beside her. She looked to her side, the warm smile that had accompanied her this far beside her. “I am ready, Aria.”

They turned toward the door and made their final approach, giving the door a solid shove, forcing it open. As the door gave way, a brilliant blue light welcomed them into a glimmering crystalline chamber. The brilliant glow seemed to illuminate all corners of the room, save for the moat of black mist pooling at the edge of the chamber. At its center was a white circle with a diagram etched into it, a woman in a white gown standing quietly at its center. “Mother…?” Saya blinked, immediately identifying her mother’s form. “MOM!” She ran towards her, crossing the small bridge from the doorway.

The woman perked up and turned to face the approaching group. Saya slowed to a stop as a horrifying scene played out before her. Her mother looked through her, a blank look in her eye, as if she saw nothing at all. Her face was quiet and cold and practically statuesque. It was unnatural, seeing her emotions stripped away. Even in the past, she could recall her mother looking at her with a quiet smile and caring gaze. The night when she first visited Xenia about her changes, her mother still had a loving warmth in her eyes, but now… The gentle love she recalled from that night was gone without a trace. This woman, she bore no such traits. She was quiet and distant, and apathetic. No. Saya looked past the façade, rejecting it, looking to the faint remnants of the spirit within. However, it only brought Saya pain as she shuddered in pain.

“Mother…” Saya repeated. “We have come to save you,” she whispered, gripping her hand in frustration. “We are here to save you!” She loudly declared, a warm tear streaking down her cheek.

“I’m ready, Saya,” Aria stepped forward. Saya nodded as they took each other’s hand, a warm current of mana coursing between them.

“That is enough of that,” a man’s voice interrupted, the group scanning the room for its owner. From behind the Queen steeped out Father Denarius, brushing his aged white hair to the side. “You must be rather arrogant if you truly believed you would just waltz in here, and corrupt our beloved priestess,” he scoffed.

“Corrupt?” Saya repeated again, a bitter foul taste flooding her mouth as she did so. She recalled how he said the same of Elise, and even herself. That foul word, which had been used so often to disregard their wants and belittle their identity. That vile insidious hollow word. Just hearing it filled her with anger. “How dare you,” Saya trembled. “You…” anger flashed within her, an overwhelming yet foreign impulse filled the girl. In the past such malice hurt or prompted disgust, certainly. Yet this time it attracted her anger, her scorn and rage alike. She glared at him with sheer intensity, causing him to flinch in surprise.

“By the lord,” he chuckled, reclaiming his cool. “You certainly have the ugly eyes of a witch,” he chortled. “You truly have corrupted that boy to…”

“Stop it!” Saya snapped. “You have hurt my family! You tormented my sister with that cruel form and have robbed my mother of her heart! You were the ones who corrupted them! Not us!” Saya’s voice continued to rise as she berated the priest, only to be met with a sinister grin.

“I am unsure if you are a bold liar or just that delusive to believe such hollow claims,” Denarius chuckled. “Acting as if such abhorrent forms are anything but corruptions of your natural forms. My dear prince, seeing you and your siblings become so fully disfigured is truly a disappointing sight. Truly, it is a shame that…”

“SILENCE!” Aria shouted, drawing her blade with fury. “If you dare utter those lies again, I’ll cleave that forked tongue of yours out of that putrid hole you call a mouth!” Denarius fell silent and glared upon the knightess. “You won’t deceive us. You don’t believe that any of them are corrupted, do you? You just want to torture us with your insipid words!”

Denarius’s demeanor dropped, the malicious grin on his lips contorting to a grimace of disgust, his tongue clicking in frustration. “You certainly are a loud pup, aren’t you girl? I’m certain your father would be rather disappointed in you.”

“What was that?” Aria’s eyes narrowed.

“He must be utterly ashamed that his own daughter would side with those mistakes beside you,” Denarius shook his head. “Truly lamentable.”

“Mistakes?” Saya repeated.

“Of course,” Denarius chuckled, “or were you under some delusion that anyone desired your birth.” Saya’s blood ran cold with his sneer as a tremble began to run across her. She knew that he was just trying to attack her confidence, but…

“You bastard, I’ll…” Aria rose her sword and readied herself to charge.

“Aria! Wait!” Saya ordered, Aria looking to her with shock. “You… you speak as if you know him… that man… Zerto.”

“Your father?” Saya cringed. “Ah yes, we are very well acquainted. You could even go so far as to describe us as partners.”

“Partners?” Saya looked at him uncertainly, then looked to her mother beside him. It made sense when he said it out loud. Why else was her mother be here, unless Zerto trusted whoever was watching over her. But if that was the case, then that opened up other questions. She looked back to Denarius and gripped her hand. “I know that you have watched over mother. But does that also mean you are the one who…” she swallowed the dry lump in her throat.

“Who placed the seals on you mistakes?” Denarius grinned maliciously. “But of course. It was a convenient favor, really. I sealed you and your siblings, and in return your father granted me free reign to… observe the great priestess and her eldest son.”

Saya flinched at his words but took them all the same. There was still much she did not yet know, and she needed to know more, even if Aria stood beside her, wishing for the onslaught to end. She swallowed the pain. “I do not understand. I cannot understand. If he hated us… If he did not want us, then why? Why did he even have us at all?”

Denarius’s grin dropped again, replaced with a regretful look. “It certainly was quite the unfortunate oversight. Zerto had gone to such lengths to bring the great priestess home to be his bride.”

“You mean he kidnapped her!” Aria rebutted.

“Whatever you wish to call it,” Denarius dismissed her rebuttal. “He could not have foreseen that a witch’s child, even a male, could inherit the unsightly spirit of a witch.”

Saya’s body went loose as he spoke. “You mean to say… he did not know? He did all of this because he did not know that we would be witches?”

“Indeed. He suspected you and your siblings might inherit some magical aptitude, but becoming a witch? Well, it was quite beyond his imagining.”

“You say that as if…” she gulped, “you knew?”

Denarius chortled then laughed. “Of course, I knew. The machinations of you witches have been watched by us for centuries. It was rather laughable in all honesty. He came to me, confused and enraged by the onset of his eldest’s changes. He was gob smacked when I told him his whole line could become witches. And, we couldn’t have that of course. If it weren’t for the fact that it would raise too much suspicion, he would’ve sent all you into my care. A shame really. I wonder what I could have accomplished with a few more subjects,” he looked over Saya with disturbing malice. She shivered under his gaze.

“Then this all happened because Elise…” Saya’s voice shook.

“That’s right, my dear,” Denarius snickered. “It’s quite ridiculous really. I genuinely believed he had been made aware. Even that knight who betrayed that damnable country was shocked by his sheer ignorance. We believed he had some plan. Zerto was usually so thoughtful with his plans, but his petty rage got the better of him that time. Consequently he wound up with quite a…” he snickered to himself, “rather long string of mistakes.”

Saya felt her legs wobble as she quaked from the revelation. She… all of them were just his mistakes? They were all born because their father did not know what he was doing? “B-but what about…” she looked to her mother with a frightened gaze. “Does that mean mom…”

“Of course, she saw you as a mistake,” Denarius continued to laugh. “Even a monster such as her wouldn’t want such a worthless child.”

“SHUT UP!” Aria roared, shocking the two. “Saya, don’t listen to him! Remember what Relia said to you. Your mom gave you her blessing. She tried to protect you,” Saya looked to Aria, her eyes brimming with tears. “Forget that bastard Zerto. Who cares what he wanted? Even if he saw you as a mistake, your mom, Elesa loved you enough to protect you. And because of that, we’re here, together. No matter what that bastard wanted, you’re here now. And I’m here for you,” she smiled.

“Aria,” Saya whimpered.

“You think that changes anything?” Denarius spat, summoning Aria’s glare to him. “A failure who bears an unnatural love for a mistake means nothing,” he said coldly. “You both remain nothing but abhorrent whelps.” Aria’s eyes hardened again with rage as another surge of anger built within Saya. Saya grabbed her head in confusion. Something was wrong. Something was…

“You!” Aria gripped her sword and readied herself to charge.

“Aria wait, I…” Saya protested.

“I’ve had enough of listening to this nonsense,” Aria spat, anger clawing into her voice. “Each and every word he spews just pisses me off more. He knew about you and your sisters. And he just sat back and laughed at your suffering. And now he has the gall to insult our relationship!? I won’t stand for it!” She roared, before erupting into a run and launching her blade forward as she sought to plunge it through his chest.

Saya blinked and rested her head in her palm as she wondered what had suddenly swept over them. This kind of anger and rage… While she was angry with the man, this kind of bile was different, foreign… almost as if it had been placed into her. She blinked. She did not think of it at the time, but her sudden despair when witnessing Elise resisting Revalsia felt all too similar, and it nearly caused her magic to fall apart. She looked to Denarius’s hands as they glowed with magical light, and eyed the sneer upon his face as she realized what was happening.

“Aria! Get away from him!” Her knight looked at her with a perplexed look. No, it was not just perplexed, there was also a furious flame to her eyes. “He is trying to manipulate our feelings! You have to resist it!”

Clarity seemed to wash over Aria’s eyes as she attempted to center herself, but it was too late. Denarius made his move, moving between the two, and with a wave of his wand, a glow began to erupt from the ground. “Divide thy enemies, and force their grasp free. Lumall!” he declared, the light erupting to form a solid wall of light. “Foolish witch, did you truly expect me not to notice?” He looked to Aria as he snickered. “I had hoped to manipulate you a bit more to seal off your magic, but separating you is sufficient. After all, if you two aren’t together, then you won’t be able to cast that spell.”

“You were trying to separate us,” Aria grit her teeth.

“I had hoped to take care of that brat myself,” Denarius chortled as he revealed a sword of his own. “However, I suppose I’ll just have to deal with you, and leave that one to her.

“You conniving…!”

“Great Priestess, Elesa!” he proclaimed. “Perform your duties as our dutiful leader and kill the witch. It cannot be saved or redeemed. So, kill it! Kill your abomination of a child!”

Elesa’s body trembled as she slowly raised er gaze toward her daughter. “I… I understand,” she answered in a monotone voice, the quiet hesitation vanishing in her voice.

“Mother please!” Saya called out. “Resist it. You have to remember,” Saya begged. “Remember who I am! Remember who you are,” her voice fell upon deaf ears as the priestess drew light into the palm of her hands. “Remember the people you sacrificed everything for! You have to remember us! Remember our family! Elise, Aunt Phora…” the girl pressed on, “Relia.”

The Great Priestess seemed to stumble slightly, her façade shaking slightly at the nostalgic feeling filling her. Her hand shook, as if to defy her orders, as her mouth hung open.

“I…” Elesa halted. “Relia?” She blinked, as if a fog had begun to clear within her. “My Reli…” a sudden plume erupted from the dark cloud around the platform, gripping her, “aaaAAAHHH!!!” she screamed.

“Listen, you foul creature!” Denarius hissed. “You WILL obey me!” He flinched as he caught the blade falling upon him with his own.

“What did you do!?” Aria shouted. Denarius grumbled and forced her back, as he gripped a glowing object in his hand. “Is that…?”

“Obliterate those worthless feelings and KILL HER!” he demanded as the woman gripped her head in agony.

The woman slowly rose her head and stared upon the two girls before her, the two quivering in fear. “I must kill her,” she repeated. “I must clean up these mistakes.”

“Mother?” Saya trembled.

“I must end this blight,” Elesa coldly stated as a glimmering light shone in her hands. “I must answer for my sins,” the light erupted from her hands, launching towards her daughter. Saya grimaced but knew what she had to do. She stood tall before her mother and channeled light into her hands. With a swift twist of her arms and hands, a barrier of light formed before them, catching the brilliant bolt. Her arms trembled under the bolt’s might, even as it dissipated into nothingness.

“Curses,” Saya panted. “What am I supposed to do?” She looked to her mother, who panted in pain. “How am I supposed to save you?”

“I must answer for allowing these vile spirits that possess my children,” Elesa rambled.

“I will not believe those lies!” Saya declared “I refuse to believe that you do not care about us. I refuse to accept that you see us as mistakes! I will not allow Denarius’s lies corrupt my memory of you!” she began to cry. “I know that I never got to see you the same way Iris did when she was little. I know that you have been forced to hurt us. But I know you still love us.” The priestess stood there, looking at Saya in confusion. “You have always watched over me, even from a far. I know you used your magic to protect me. I know you always tried to watch over me. Even that night when I started awakening, even though I did not understand, I know that you understood and desired to help me,” she looked at her mother pleadingly. “You desired to help the real me.”

Elesa looked upon Saya with a confused look, something fighting within her. She shook her head in dismissal. “You are wrong,” she denied. “You are a mistake I have to correct. You are… a sin that I have committed.”

“You do not believe that! Those are lies that Denarius and the others put into your head. I will not accept that those are your true feelings!” Saya countered. “Mother… Please, you have to remember!”

“I… must wipe away my sins!” Elesa’s voice cracked under her words, choking them out. A tear trickled down her cheek. “Grant me thy power,” she began to chant, light gathering around her, “and strike my foe with your blinding might!” Saya looked at her mother’s stoic face, noticing a deep heartbreaking sadness in her eyes. She knew she was in there, and she must have been fighting. But it was not enough. She needed something more. She needed Revalsia. But Aria was too far away, all because of Denarius’s trap. Saya whimpered as she feared what was to come, fearing the priest had won.

“I am so sorry.” Saya cried, tears streaming down her face as the fierce light converged into a single bolt. “I just wanted to save you!” she whimpered. “Mother…”

“Lumero!” Elesa’s chant concluded. There was a cacophony of sound as the bolt of radiant light launched towards Saya. In the last moment, Saya imagining she heard another spell, one she knew very well.

Saya’s eyes opened, confused by her prolonged existence. Her eyes widened as she beheld a massive wall of ice before her. “This is.”

“Who dares!?” Denarius seethed, Aria grinning as they looked to the new arrival.

Elesa’s stoic façade began to crack, as her indifferent expression gave way to one of shock. Her eyes widened with surprise. Her mouth loosened with awe. And her heart quivered with excitement. “You…”

Saya looked behind her, horrified lips curling into a gleeful smile. “Relia.”

The witch stood behind Saya with a determined look in her eyes as she stared down her beloved. Her face twisted with anger. “What did they do to you?” She clenched her hand. “Was tearing us apart not enough for them? They had to do this to you too!?” She shouted.

“What are you doing!?” Denarius bellowed. “KILL THEM!”

“Y-yes,” Elesa acknowledged Denarius’s command. She rose her hand and declared “Lumero!” summoning forth another bolt.

Relia swiped her hand across the air, a splash of water catching and diffusing the bolt instantly. “What was that supposed to be?” Relia questioned. “Your magic used to be some of the strongest out there. And now you’re being stopped by such a simple spell!? That was nothing!”

“I…” Elesa’s voice shook. She clutched her hand as it began to tremble.

“Elesa!” Relia’s voice echoed through the hall. The great priestess shook in response.

“Damn it,” Denarius growled as he caught Aria’s incoming strike, “why won’t you obey me?” He glared at Elesa. “You will do as you are told! You broken bitch!” He bellowed as he pointed the mysterious gem at Elesa. Saya and Relia’s eyes widened as they began to recognize the magic emanating from the stone. The shape and power was different, but it bore a striking resemblance to the same weapon that caused Elise such pain.

“Is that… a witchbane?” Saya said in realization.

Elesa began to scream, her body jerking about as her arms desperately grabbed at herself to protect herself from an invisible pain. Elesa looked to the two before her, her gaze fighting between sadness and fear as mana began to gather around her, bolts of light congregating behind her.

“What did you do!?” Aria shouted. She slammed her sword into Denarius’s as the priest sneered. “What is that thing!?”

“Witchbanes normally restrict a witch’s magic,” he explained. “But this one is special. The Great Priestess needed a special leash, so we could use her power more effectively,” he explained as Aria’s eyes widened with horror. “That’s right. She will kill you all, and nothing you can do can stop it. Especially since your only chance is over there,” he cackled. Aria overtaken with rage threw her sword to the side, hurling Denarius away. The priest continued to laugh as he watched with delight.

“Saya!” Aria called out to her. She banged her fist against the wall of light separating them. She watched as Saya trembled in fear as her mother wailed with pain. Relia collapsing to her knees beside her. She looked back to Denarius, the witchbane glowing again. “That thing is…” she grimaced.

“A witch’s emotions are her power,” Denarius grinned. “All it takes is a little despair to rattle them and render their magic useless. They may be powerful, frighteningly so, but such a frail power is useless when dependent on such a feeble force.”

Aria chuckled, confusing the priest. “If you think their power is so fragile, then you don’t know a thing about them.” She gripped her sword and took a deep breath. She had to remain on the offensive and keep him distracted. He was wrong about their power. They just needed a chance to do what they needed to, she believed that without a doubt. She glanced back, beyond the barrier, at the pair of heartbroken women and passed them a gentle smile before focusing on her opponent and charging ahead.

“I’m sorry Elesa.” Relia began to cry as Elesa’s wails rang in her ears. “I’m so sorry I couldn’t save you. I’m so sorry that you’ve been alone, and I can’t help you,” she whimpered. “I waited all these years, and I still can’t save you.”

“Relia,” Saya looked to the witch with sadness. If only there were a way to still reach out to her, then they could be able to stop this. But with Aria separated from them, there was no way to do that. There was no way to cast Revalsia, no connection to use, no… She blinked. Connection. Revalsia used connections to reveal the truth. She looked at Relia, crying and heartbroken. “Relia. We cannot give up.”

“Saya?”

“We still have a connection we can use,” Saya smiled. “A bond we share.”

“But Saya, ours isn’t…”

“Not ours,” Saya shook her head. “Not between us, but us with her,” she said looking to Elesa. Relia followed Saya’s gaze, watching mana pool around her beloved. She considered the idea. On one hand it seemed unlikely. The whole point of the spell was to break illusions and reveal the truth by using one bond to connect with another. But as she thought about it, the more possible it seemed. While their bond with each other may not be strong enough, their bond with Elesa was unquestionably strong. At last, Relia nodded. “She is my mother, and your beloved. We can reach her. I know it.”

“It’s worth a shot,” Relia smiled. “I already know the spell thanks to all of our practice together,” she chuckled.

“Yeah,” Saya smiled. “Now…”

“Let’s bring her home!” They declared together as a familiar light began to weave between them.

“What?” Denarius yelped as he dodged another of Aria’s slashes. “No! That’s not possible.” He watched the light between the two witches, as he rose back to his feet. “I won’t let you!” he yelled before a sword blocked his way; his advance being prevented by Aria. “Get out of my way!”

“Not on your life!” Aria growled back.

“Dammit!” Denarius grumbled. “Elesa! What are you doing!? KILL THEM!”

Elesa’s body quaked as a volley of light rampaged towards the witches, a wave of water rising to catch it. Saya and Relia lowered their hands and grasped the other’s.

“May our connection return the truth to us,” the two chanted. A lens of light began to form beside them, an intricate pattern scrawling along it.

“No! NO!” Denarius began to panic, as his sword clattered against Aria’s immovable form. She slashed at Denarius, forcing him back as he watched the magic glow with immaculate light.

“Let our union sunder the deceits and lies and render them unto oblivion,” the two continued. The offending volleys of light intensified in might and number. The water rose and froze in place, large chunks of ice flying off as it absorbed each hit, the women behind it standing firm.

“KILL THEM NOW!” Denarius roared, as Elesa fired a final blast.

“REVALIAS!” the witches finished, as a bullet of shining water shot through the lens, shattering a bolt of light as it erupted towards Elesa’s and struck the woman.

Elesa stumbled back, as the light from Revalias began to overtake her body.

“It’s over,” Aria pushed Denarius’s limp body back, the priest falling to the ground in shock. “Now hand over the witchbane.”

“You impudent…” Denarius glared at her and then the witches and finally Elesa’s glowing form. “I am not finished yet,” Aria’s eyes widened before she hurriedly reached for his hand. Yet she was too slow. He rose his hand and summoned a plume of magic from the gem like witchbane, having it grab hold of Elesa. “IF I CAN’T HAVE HER, NO ONE WILL!”

“Mother!” Saya shouted.

“Elesa!” Relia ran to protect her.

“AAAAAHHH!” Elesa’s scream reverberated through the room.

“STOP IT!” Aria snapped, reaching for the priest, narrowly missing as he rose to his feet.

“I shall see you all burn for your transgressions!” Denarius seethed. “You will be burned for killing our Great Priestess,” he cackled as he rose his arm toward Elesa, the plume tightening its grip as Elesa shrieked with pain. “You will regret killing her!”

“That’s enough!” Aria yelled as she brought her sword down upon Denarius. He attempted to block her attack, however a sudden spark of energy erupted from the witchbane and tore through his arm, paralyzing him for the briefest moment. He howled with pain as the steel blade cleaved through his flesh, and parted his arm from his body. He roared in pain as he stumbled backward. “You’re done!” Aria stated.

“You bitch,” Denarius spat. “How dare you. You’ll pay! You’ll all…” a sudden explosion erupted behind him, a plume of darkness erupting from the moat of dark mist. He looked to it in confusion, and instantly realized what had happened. “No… NO!” He saw the glimmering sparkle of his witchbane crackle and burst with power, causing the Devil’s Despair to erupt and engulf him. “NO!!!” he screamed, his voice vanishing into nothingness.

“What just…?” Aria began to wonder. But before she could think about the subject anymore, a familiar terrified voice screeched in panic.

“Mother!” Saya shrieked. Horror gripped her as she watched her mother writhe in pain. And then hope began to stir as a glimmering shine began to build along her body. Revalias’s light coursed into the shadowy cloud, the light pulsing into it, until even the dark moat began to glow white. “What is…?”

The shadows began to dissipate, the room shining brighter than before. The cacophony of sounds evaporated into silence as Elesa slowly fell to the ground, a bloody gash weeping where the cloud gripped her.

“Mom, please,” Saya’s voice shook. “Please wake up,” she quickly formed an orb of water and pressed it against her mother’s wound. “I…” her eyes grew wide as they lingered upon the woman’s eyes clenched tight before relaxing, slowly opening with a flutter of her eyelashes. “M-mom?”

“Goodness,” woman slowly exhaled as her eyes lingered on Saya’s face. Her soft hand ascended to hold her daughter’s cheek, gently brushing it as a weak smile formed upon her face. “My little girl certainly has become beautiful since she went away,” she smiled.

“Mommy!” Saya hugged her in a sudden fit of tears.

“Oh, Saya,” Elesa beamed. “I have waited so long,” she hugged her daughter. “I’m so glad you’re okay.”

“You recognize her your highness?” Aria asked. “I mean, you haven’t seen her since…”

“Of course. I couldn’t ever mistake the joyful smile of my daughter,” Elesa smiled heartily as she attempted to rise up.

“Mom, stop, do not move,” Saya scolded her. “You are still hurt, I cannot...”

“It’s not as bad as it looks,” Elesa chuckled. “And I’m confident you’ll make it all better. Right sweetie?” Saya’s panic melted into a smile as she nodded.

“I will,” Saya cried happily. “And then we can all go home, together.”

“Together? Ah yes, your sisters came here with…” her voice became quiet as she looked up, tears filling her eyes as she came to see the woman crying behind Saya. The one who filled what few dreams she had since her nightmare began. “You’re…”

“Elesa,” Relia cried as she lowered herself to Elesa.

“Relia? Is that really…” she tried to ask before the witch smothered her with a hug. “I wasn’t… You’re really here?”

“I’ve missed you so much,” Relia cried.

“This is…” Elesa whimpered. “Please, this isn’t a dream, right? Please tell me I’m not dreaming again,” she cried. “Please.”

“No dreams,” Relia chuckled through her sobs. “We’re finally together again,” she pulled back a little, smiling at her lovely Elesa’s tear-soaked face. The two leaned into the other, their lips meeting for the first time in so long as they held each other in a loving caress.

Saya and Aria traded a gleeful glance before looking to the two witches again. Elesa looked upon her daughter and smiled. “Saya, I don’t know what to say,” she giggled slightly, “But thank you. Thank you for saving me and bringing her back to me,” she smiled. Saya quivered as she basked in her mom’s warm smile. It felt so genuine and true. She always loved her mother’s smiles, but this one… it was so much warmer and kinder than the quiet subdued ones she saw as she grew up. She could only cry with joy as she nodded at her mother’s thanks.

“It’s finally over. I’m finally free from their control,” Elesa smiled. “Oh, that reminds me,” Elesa scanned the room. “What became of Denarius?” she scowled.

“Uh,” Aria looked over her shoulder, toward the moat. Over its edge was a body, withered and crushed at the now empty pit’s depths. “I don’t think he’s going to be a problem for anyone again.”

“I see. Shame, I kind of wanted the chance to get a little payback.”

“Feeling a little spiteful, dear?” Relia giggled.

“Perhaps a bit,” Elesa laughed.

“Oh, sure, just a little right?” Aria chuckled. “Huh?” She looked toward the door, watching it open as the others emerged. “Hey there! You’re all safe!”

“Aria,” Nerivi grinned. “Seems everything went well on your end,” she looked to Elesa, as Saya and Relia continued to cling to their her.

“Mom!” Elise ran to Elesa, Lillia following behind her. “You’re free! We’re free!” She cheered as she hugged her mother, Lillia quickly following suit.

“You’re finally safe!” Lillia added, squeezing in her own hug.

“Goodness,” Elesa laughed. “Come now girls, I would like to stand up at some point,” she teased, her three daughters giving a series of small pouts before finally releasing her. She stood up and looked around the group, noticing another woman with lavender hair, giving her a soft look until she caught a glance at the woman’s face before the woman looked away. Elesa frowned and sighed.

“What’s the matter mom?” Lillia asked.

“Perhaps my mind is just a bit foggy, but I could’ve sworn that Denarius mentioned that more of you were here. I was hoping to see them,” she said with a sad voice.

“That’s right!” Saya gasped.

“Iris!” Lillia yelped.

“Yeah, now that you mention it, where are they?” Nerivi wondered aloud.

“We left them to chase after Saya,” Penelope admitted. “I hope that they’re okay.”

“I’m sure they’re fine,” Aria grinned. “Iris has Honey with her after all.”

“Honey?” Elesa’s eyes widened. “If she’s here, does that mean…?”

“No,” Saya shook her head. “Aunt Phora is somewhere else keeping an eye on… him.”

“I see,” Elesa frowned. “Well, knowing she’s alright is enough for me. And Aria is right. None of the paladins or priesthood here could hope to defeat Honey,” she smirked.

“Feeling a little prideful?” Relia giggled. “Well, she did learn from the best, right dear?”

“You mean…” Elise looked to her mother.

“No, no,” Elesa shook her head. “But she did learn from my mother. She was…”

“Ugh, can we please get a move on!?” The other lavender haired woman scowled. “I… I don’t want to linger here.” Elesa eyed her with confusion.

“Who is that anyway?” Aria asked.

“Risia,” Penelope scowled. “Something happened and her witchbane backfired and turned her into a witch. Or at least, that’s what we think happened.”

“Can you please not remind me,” Risia whined. “I already feel awful enough.”

“That’s… quite the revelation,” Elesa sighed. “Of all the ones to awaken too,” she frowned. “At any rate, she is right though. We should get out of here. The sooner we leave this dreadful place the better.”

“Yeah, let’s get out of here, this place is creepy,” Aria shivered as the girls began to head out.

Elesa stayed behind for a moment as she watched her daughters head towards the exit. She had been graced with Lillia’s smile plenty of times when she was younger, but it had slowly faded over her years learning to become a priestess. Seeing her vibrant smile tickled her. Although she hesitated to say that it brought her as much joy as the other two. Saya would smile when she was with her friends and siblings when she was little, but Elesa had little time to really appreciate it back then, and that was before it vanished under the pain of her developing body. Meanwhile, she had nothing but the displeasure to watch Elise’s suffering grow in intensity over these last many years. Seeing the two now smile and giggle as they were always meant to filled her with an indescribable happiness, one which she would cherish forever.

“They really are incredible, aren’t they?” Elesa’s admiration was cut short by the voice. She turned to face the voice, Relia as she smiled at the three. “Those girls have made it through so much.. I’m so grateful that I got to meet them.”

“Relia…”

“All of these years have been so painful, knowing you were out here alone, getting hurt and tortured like this,” she frowned. “But seeing their smiles now… I can’t deny that something good came of it. For all the pain and suffering, your daughters are here, with us, and I couldn’t be more thankful.”

“Yes,” Elesa smiled. “I’m thankful for them. They were what kept me going when things were at their worst. Clinging to what little hope I had that I could see those smiles.” She grasped Relia’s hand, the two sharing a smile.

“Now, let’s go to them, to our daughters,” Elesa said with a warm voice. She looked to Relia who looked to her with awe, tears filling her eyes. Relia smiled and nodded as she took her hand and left their nightmare behind.

12