CHAPTER 13: THE WAR
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The pressure is gone. Let's go in." Bekura told Xcerox and others.

 

"Stiria, stay. I don't want you to be in danger."


Xcerox looked at his sister.

 

Stiria nodded. She already did what she wanted. She grips the chip in her hand. She watched Xcerox, Gizelis, Nish, and Bekura go in while Dian stayed with her.

 

"Dian, can you help me?" She asked.

 

"Yes, Your Highness. What is it?" Dian looks at her.

 

"Can you take this thing I make and throw it in the lake outside of Antonia? I was making a new device lately." She showed him the chip.

 

"Alright. I'll be back quickly." Dian took the chip and disappeared.

 

A moment later, he appears again.

 

"I threw it, Your Highness."

 

"Thank you very much." She smiled sweetly, making Dian blush.

 

He stroked his nose while looking away.

 

‘Princess Stiria was cute and beautiful. Unfortunately, she already has a fiance.’

 

He was a little sad. Suddenly, they heard a loud water explosion coming from the lake. Everyone was alarmed. The demon's guard quickly moves there to investigate.

 

Dian's eyes widened. Wasn't that where he threw the chip? What is going on here?!

 

He turns towards Stiria who looks also surprised by the explosion.

 

"Princess...?" His body stiffened.

 

"Oh my... It failed. Hehe... Please don't tell my brother about it, okay...?" She pleads while biting her lips and eyes rounded at Dian.

 

Dian got dazed by her pleading appearance. He didn't even notice he nodded his head.

 

"Okay..." He softly replied. His mind was melted by her again.

 

While inside the technician's division building…

 

"Zeliker, Silvert, are you both alright?" Xcerox asked as he went into the experiment room.

 

It was a relief to see that nothing happened to them and Riseptos. He also saw the collar have been destroyed.

 

Zeliker, who had folded his hand, stared at Xcerox silently, his back to the glass wall. As for Silvert, he was sitting down beside Riseptos' bed. The use of his ability depletes his energy. He needs to rest a bit.

 

"Ah, what a waste. You guys should have saved some pieces." Bekura complained after checking the small chunk that was left by the collar.

 

"Sorry. I can't help. We don't know which part the bomb was located so we had to destroy it along." Silvert told her and had to lie.

 

They have promised Stiria after all.

 

"Sigh... Figured... Thank you for your help again." Bekura smiled at them.

 

‘These two must have been heroes in their past life.’

 

She guessed.

 

Silvert nodded at her. He turns to Zeliker who was watching Xcerox.

 

‘I guessed he was curious about Mirima's bloodline. Princess Stiria's ability was strong like a royal demon…’

 

"By the way, Riseptos is going to be alright now, right?" Gizelis asked.

 

He and Nish were still worried about him. Even after the collar was destroyed, Riseptos was still unconscious.

 

"He will wake up soon," Zeliker answered him.

 

Gizelis and Nish sigh in relief. Since everything went well, Bekura asked for leave. She needs to make a report about the collar and send it to Sektar... And another person.

 

Zeliker and Silvert were sent to a guest room. They have been staying there since last night after the rescue. Now, Zeliker lay on his bed while looking at the bed rooftop. He was thinking about Stiria.

 

"She's powerful. Is she even human?" He asked.

 

Silvert, who was sitting on his bed, turned to him. "She might be a Duo."

 

"Duo... You might be right. Unfortunately, the queen of Eskimos has been dead for more than ten years. Her background was also mysterious since the news said she comes from commoners."

 

Silvert nodded. "And her bloodline is unknown. She could be a demon in disguise as a human."

 

They both went silent for a moment.

 

"My liege, are you interested in her?"

 

Zeliker snapped his head at him. "Why do you think so? She already has a fiancé."

 

‘Ah? Then why do you look like you are jealous?’

 

Silvert could see a flash of jealousy in Zeliker's eyes. Although, it was just a moment. He saw it when Zeliker told him that Stiria has a fiancé. His eyes showed it before it was gone. Now, a confused expression was shown on his prince's face.

 

“He must be thinking why his heart feels so irritable by it…” Silvert thought quietly.

 

"You know who her fiancé is?" He asked.

 

"Who wouldn't know that?" Zeliker rolled his eyes.

 

"He was the second prince of the Shildia Kingdom. I confronted him in the last war. He was lucky he had the guardian armour to protect him. Or he would have died in my hand that time." Zeliker's eyes glowed red before it was gone again.

 

Silvert body stiffened. This was the first time his prince would talk about what happened in the last war his prince participated in. He and Zeliker were sent to help the Griko Kingdom to fight against the Shildia Kingdom. The war happened at the border between the two kingdoms.

 

The Shildia Kingdom was also known as the strongest human kingdom and hated all the demons' races. No demons were allowed to enter their kingdom. If they were found, they would be killed immediately.

 

Silvert just doesn't understand what happened to his prince. His prince turned gloomy on the last day of their war. Maybe this was his chance to ask about it.

 

"My liege, can you tell me what happened to you during the war?"

 

Zeliker's eyes dimmed. He was silent for a moment.

 

"My liege...?"

 

Zeliker sits up and moves his body to look at Silvert. Silvert’s eyes brighten. Such action told him that Zeliker was going to explain to him finally.

 

Zeliker could guess what was playing in Silvert's mind. He sighs before he frowns. He reminisces about the war again before he slowly talks about it.

 

Two years ago, Zeliker was just sixteen years old, still, a green one to take part in the war. But it was Nekruis's orders. As a royal demon prince, he must participate to sharpen his mind and will against humans, their enemies.

 

That was also his first war... And the last war he would go to.

 

He should have debuted in glory along with his soldiers but after looking at the war and everything that transpired, he finally thought about why such a war happened in the first place. He also realised his true feelings and the differences between him and others.

 

He was not like them. He didn’t become like a true royal demon should be either. All because he can’t control his emotions after seeing the death of both demons and humans.

 

Other demons would have shouted in excitement after killing their enemies but he didn’t. Instead he looks a bit lost after killing them.

 

Why did we kill each other? That was a question that was playing in his mind during that time.

 

"You demon beast! Died!" A human soldier yelled as he lifted his big sword and swung down at Zeliker.

 

Zeliker flashes aside with his high speed. He hesitated for a moment before he swung his long blade, slashing the neck of that soldier. Blood splashed on his armour and pooled under him. Every human around him went mad. They already know that he was the Flink's prince.

 

They want his head but also fear him since he was the last prince of Flink. However, if he ends him it would also end Nekruis's bloodline so they would strive to kill him with everything they have.

 

Zeliker fought them for a long time. From morning until twilight. The human side of 200,000 soldiers against their 100,000 demon soldiers. Although demons were low in number, it was enough to defeat half of the human soldiers.  This shows how strong the demon’s race was.

 

Zeliker huffed after he defeated his opponent. This soldier was a demon but fought alongside humans. He was a bit perplexed after battling and killing this soldier.

 

He looked around the battlefield and grimaced to see so many dead bodies. Not only that, some demon soldiers who were exhausted eat the raw meat of the dead human soldiers to replenish their energies. The sight disgusts and sickens him. If he was not a prince, he would have vomited long ago.

 

"My liege!"

 

Silvert appears next to him, blood covering his whole armour and helmet. He summoned a bottle of red liquid and gave it to Zeliker. Zeliker chucked it down swiftly before he threw the bottle away.

 

Although its colour looked like blood, the taste wasn't blood. Silvert was ordered by him to only feed him with liquid made of fruits or other stuff that was not blood. And it must be in the colour for deep red. Silvert also can’t change it to blood. If he found out about it, Silvert would be punished severely.

 

As for Silvert, although he was confused at first, he never questioned it. He would serve Zeliker with everything he has. And until now, Zeliker has never told him about his weakness towards humans’ blood.

 

The next few days, Zeliker met the Shildia Kingdom's second prince, Flare Regis. His red-gold armour was too striking not to be noticed. But no one knows what he looks like behind his armour. Only the Shildia’s Royalty knows his real face while other people have never seen it. 

 

He has two weapons, sharp lances and a sabre. The sabre was directed at Zeliker. It was the invitation for a battle with him.

 

Zeliker's eyes blazed red within his helmet. He manifested his two blades. His body lowered into a battle stance. Flare blue eyes flash under his helmet too before he also readied his stance. 

 

Their surroundings went quiet with soldiers who distanced themselves from their prince's battles. Each side then cheered their respective princes.

 

"Kill him, Your Highness!"

 

"Cut him!"

 

"Beat him, Your Highness!"

 

Zeliker and Flare both steadied their breathing and concentrated on each other's movements. This was the most anticipated battle since the war started.

 

Zeliker closed his eyes for a moment. It was also his invitation for Flare to start his attack. Of course, Flare noticed it but he didn't go into the trap. Such a trick he has seen too many times when his soldiers were fighting Zeliker. And, every one of them died in Zeliker's hand.

 

He didn't fight with Zeliker earlier because he was searching for Zeliker's weakness. He must wait until then. Unfortunately, Zeliker's weakness was hard to detect. The loss of his soldiers summoned him to finally participate in it. He should have fought when the battle worsened more but he no longer wanted to see the death of his soldiers.

 

As for Zeliker’s weakness, his habit during the battle changed every time Flare thought he had found one. This shows that Zeliker's fighting skills were all bizarre and free. Which means he has no form of habit movement.

 

Zeliker looked at him in wonder. Because Flare was just delaying to attack him again and again, he initiated the attack first. He flashes and arrives in front of Flare with a swing of his right sword. 

 

Flare anticipated it and blocked it with his lances while his saber, in turn, swung at Zeliker. Zeliker uses his other blade to block it. Their fight begins. For a long time, no one gets an advantage over each other. Because their skills were on par.

 

Zeliker could also sense the power from Flare increasing each time they clashed their weapons. Moreover, he was kind of perplexed too about Flare. There was excitement and pleasure coming from Flare's aura.

 

‘This guy is weird…’

 

He thought while flipping himself backwards when the sabre swung at his head. Zeliker then throws his right blade up high and blasts a flame towards Flare using his free hand.

 

Flare slash all of the flames while running towards him. His lance thrust in multiple attacks on Zeliker. Zeliker avoided the attack and also blocked some with his left sword.

 

When Zeliker jumps away, his free hand swings down. Flare realised the sword's attack from above where Zeliker had thrown one of them. But it wasn't just one sword. More than 10 swords appear and rush towards him.

 

These abilities shock the human soldiers. They were worried for their prince but still cheered him up. As for the demon’s soldiers, they were shouting in joy for their prince.

 

This is their royal demon prince!

 

Flare wasn't afraid when seeing the blades. He calmly blocks or swings his weapons to throw them off. Zeliker again flashes near him and thrust his left blade. His right hand balled into a fist, hiding a summoned electric current.

 

However, Flare was already wary of him. He detected a disturbance of ability from Zeliker's right fist so he jumped away after a swipe at Zeliker's legs. Zeliker didn't let him go after jumping again to avoid the swipe. He just throws the electric ball he was charging towards Flare.

 

Flare slashed it with his lance because the electrical ball was too close for him to avoid. The current electrified his lance and he immediately let go before he was thunderstruck too. 

 

Zeliker came on him so close and thrust his blade at his heart but Flare swung his sabre to clash with it. His eyes widened when Zeliker’s blade changed its trajectory and put a force that made him lose his grip on his sabre. The sabre also fell far away from him. His heart thumped heavily. Without his weapon, he only has his martial arts left.

 

Damn it!

 

Flare instantly folded his hands when Zeliker’s right leg swung at him from above. The pressure of the kick makes the ground under Flare crack and burst open. The dust blows up together with it, hiding the shadows of the two princes.

 

"You lost..." Zeliker's voice sounded in Flare's ears.

 

Flare's eyes widened when saw his sabre resting on his neck. He looked at Zeliker beside him.

 

"Do it," Flare said in exhaustion.

 

He was human after all. Fighting with Zeliker all day long had already taken a toll on him. It would be a wonder if he won against Zeliker, son of Nekruis Asterostes, the Flink’s king who was so powerful in both combat, power and intelligence. Zeliker might have learned it from his father. And his death was already predictable since the war started. He eventually had to accept his defeat in Zeliker’s hand.

 

I’m sorry everyone…

 

Flare closed his eyes while he apologised. Death wasn’t so bad. He can finally end his misery in this hateful world.

 

Zeliker stared at him for a moment. "Hate me?"

 

Flare snapped open his eyes and glared at him. "Yes, very hateful."

 

Zeliker smirked. "Then, find me again if you have a chance."

 

Flare was confused by his statement before his eyes widened. Zeliker had slit his throat with a painful expression. Not just that, Zeliker had used his sabre to cut his throat open.

 

"What are you doing?!" Flare yelled but Zeliker already backed away holding his throat.

 

He throws the sabre at Flare and the latter had to catch it before it hit his heart. The dust around them was almost visible now.

 

"Find me. Kill me. I'll be waiting." That's all Zeliker told him before he fell down to his knees, choking on his blood.

 

Flare couldn't believe Zeliker’s bizarre action. It makes him stand frozen in his place. When the dust completely disappears, the demon side goes silent while the human side cheered loudly.

 

"My liege!"

 

Silvert quickly appeared next to Zeliker and took him away from the battle. His expression was grave. Zeliker's wounds were too deep, almost reaching his heart.

 

How could this happen?! Wasn’t his prince almost winning the battle?!

 

Silvert was very confused on how Flare managed to change his circumstances. They couldn’t see the battle after the blowing of heavy dust.

 

As for Zeliker…

 

"Ah, the war can finally end early." He silently thought with relief and let the darkness lull him to sleep.

 

Just like he expected, the war did end early with both sides’ ceasefire. Without Zeliker, the demons have low morale to battle, allowing the humans to bite back. Yet, it still ended up with no one victory.

 

Fighting Flare was actually a part of Zeliker's plan. He didn't want to fight anymore. The eyes of the dead, humans or demons, were too painful to see. Some who were on the brink of death have been whispering their loved one's name before they went silent, making him think this war between them was…

 

Foolish! These two races were foolish!

 

If you love your family and other people, why participate in the war?! Why sacrifice yourself?! Why?! 

 

Zeliker has been thinking it through the two months of the war. He can’t hold on anymore. When he heard Flare had appeared on the battlefield, an idea manifested in his mind. He must stop this war from continuing!

 

The war normally ended in a few months or more but Zeliker guessed without him, they might have ended the war early. After all, he was the flag for the morality of his soldiers. Without him, they would weaken. So, he made a plan to put the war to stop.

 

Putting on his helmet, he walked slowly toward the battlefield where he senses the most powerful aura comes from it. It was impossible not to notice if Flare was wearing the gifted armour that let him be superior than any other normal soldier. His speed, his skill and his energy increased the longer the battle continued.

 

"Let me see how strong you, the human heroes, are. "

 

His battle starts the moment Flare notices him too.

 

After the war ended, Zeliker awoke three days later with thick bandages around his neck. He didn’t leave the battlefield yet but everyone who was still alive was moving on and forth, searching their comrade’s dead bodies. Then, each side took them away.

 

Zeliker watched it with darkened eyes. 

 

‘So, this is what war looks like when it ends…’

 

Zeliker thought with heart broken seeing everyone there. He can hear sobbing, wailing, screaming and growling on each side. Those sounds put a melancholy atmosphere on the battlefield. Zeliker slowly closed his eyes before anyone could see the despair in it. He moves back into his tent, hiding himself within the misery that welcomes him into their embrace.

 

Back to Zeliker and Silvert in their guest room…

 

Silvert’s eyes widened after listening to Zeliker's story about that time. He also went into a panic when he saw Zeliker's expression. Two streaks of tears flowed from Zeliker's eyes with deep bitterness, sadness and sorrow.

 

"What are we, Silvert? Aren't we humans just like them before we turn into this…? How can such prejudices between us happen?! Why can’t we live in peace with each other?! Why?!" Zeliker cried out in a hoarse voice.

 

Silvert's mouth opened slightly but he wasn't able to answer. He could only appear beside Zeliker and hug him tight. His eyes went red and also formed tears. He never imagined his prince would think about both races' circumstances… And hide such heavy  anguish and pain alone.

 

He thought being here in Eskimos and making new friends would make Zeliker’s melancholy go away but… Maybe it will take a long while before it disappears.

 

“I must accompany him always and can’t stay far away from him. I must do everything I can to protect his heart and kindness, and not let it be tainted by anyone…” Silvert quietly vowed himself while his eyes turned blazing bright.

0