Chapter 5.1 – New Beginnings
127 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the ages shrouded by the mists of time, there lived the first male to bear the divine inscription of Aphrodite, nestled within a tranquil hamlet tucked into the verdant embrace of his kingdom's boundaries. Endowed with celestial beauty, he was naught but a pure soul, blissfully oblivious to the tempestuous tides of fate that would soon engulf him. 

For it was whispered on the winds and carried on the tongues of men that a rare and wondrous blessing had been bestowed upon a humble farmer’s son, and such whispers had begun to echo throughout the realm and beyond, sowing the seeds of envy and covetous desire.

~From The Divine Pawn: A Tale of Divinity and Desolation

The aroma of lavender and cedarwood filled the air as the boy slowly awoke, his vision blurry, his senses disoriented. As his eyes adjusted to the dim light, he noticed Queen Themis sitting beside the bed he was currently resting on. It was a grand bed, adorned with luxurious sheets and intricate carvings, likely belonging to Themis herself. The mattress was incredibly soft and comfortable, cradling the boy's body, and making him feel safe and secure. The boy could hardly believe he was still alive after his ordeal with Princess Moira.

As his vision cleared, he took in the ethereal presence of Themis. Her long, flowing hair shimmered like liquid gold, framing a face that seemed to have been sculpted by the gods themselves. Her eyes, deep pools of wisdom and compassion, sparkled with an inner light that seemed to illuminate the room.

Themis’ elegant posture and regal bearing were unmistakable, yet she exuded a gentle warmth that made the boy feel at ease. She was the embodiment of grace and beauty, a living, breathing work of art that captivated his young heart.

Themis appeared engrossed in the pages of a storybook that she was flipping through. The boy squinted, trying to read the title on the book's cover. His reading comprehension was only at a basic level, and it took him a few moments to piece together the words. The boy pieced together the first half of the storybook's title, slowly recognizing them as "The Divine Pawn".

Hearing the boy stir, Themis looked up from the book, her eyes alert and filled with concern. "You're awake," she said softly, her voice carrying the melody of a thousand whispered lullabies.

Themis paused for a moment before sharing the news, "Princess Moira has left the castle. It’s been decided that I will officially adopt you into the Dravarian Crescent Knights, the highest Knight Order in Dravaria, who are under my direct control.'"

The boy seemed to not fully understand what “adopt” and “Knight Order '' meant, and was instead more interested in the book Themis was holding instead. The extent to which he understood, from Madam Susan’s teachings, was that Queen Themis was his new master.

He hesitated before asking, "Is it a nice story?"

Themis shook her head. "No, it's a rather sad one, I'm afraid."

Intrigued by the book, he asked, "Will you read it to me?"

Themis furrowed her brow and tilted her head, as if considering the boy's request, "No, one day, when you're older, you will read this story for yourself."

Curious, the boy inquired, "Why are you reading it, then?"

A gentle smile graced Themis' face. "I'm searching for inspiration for your name. Your previous name, Plum, doesn't seem fitting for your new life."

As Themis continued to browse through the book, she thought about its main character, who had gone through similar ordeals to what this boy would face. The protagonist in this book was based on her great ancestor, a man who endured great hardships and suffered because of them.

The boy looked at her, surprised by the idea of a new name, but he couldn't help but feel a warmth in his chest. Themis was offering him not only a new identity but also a fresh start.

As Themis continued to browse through the book, the boy thought about his previous life and his name “Plum” which was derived from his purple eyes. Madam Susan explained to him the reason for his name was that she loved eating plums, and as he was her most prized possession, she named him Plum after seeing the similarities between the colour of the fruit and his eyes.

The idea of leaving that life behind and starting anew under Themis' care was both frightening and exhilarating.

After a few more moments, Themis closed the book and set it aside. Her eyes met the boy's, filled with determination and kindness. "I've decided on a name for you," she announced, her voice filled with warmth.

The boy's heart raced with anticipation. "What is it?"

Themis smiled, her gaze tender and reassuring. "From this moment on, your name shall be Adonis. It’s a fitting name for someone with the blessings you have received."

This situation felt almost poetic to Themis, as she felt a strong connection to her ancestor, who had also received Aphrodite's blessing, yet suffered greatly because of it. Themis hoped that Adonis, named after her ancestor, would find the strength to defy fate and forge his own path. She was determined to help the boy live a full life, one that her great ancestor had been denied, and to show him that the blessings he received need not dictate his destiny.

The boy, now Adonis, felt a shiver run down his spine as he whispered his new name. It felt strange on his tongue, foreign and unfamiliar, but he couldn't help the excitement that bubbled within him. He was no longer a mere plaything, slave or masseuse; he was Adonis.

3