Chapter 360 – Serenity’s Fiancee
343 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rissa flopped down on one of the couches. It was close enough to reach Aki’s crystal, but she didn’t need to. “Why did Katya leave? I’d expected her to be interested. She always wants to be clear on the plan when we go into a battle. Especially in that Cave of Shadows we did a couple days ago, that place was annoying.”

Serenity shuddered at the mention of that dungeon. The dungeon hadn’t really been a threat, it had simply been annoying.

It would be easy with a team fully prepared for it; Light was a very common early Affinity, after all. Unfortunately, none of his group was particularly Light-oriented or anti-Shadow. None of them even had the Light Affinity.

Serenity’s usual trick for seeing in the dark worked fine on the “cave”, but not on the shadows themselves. Rissa and Raz had some sort of vague sense of where the shadows were, while Katya had some enchanted goggles that were better than what anyone else had. Serenity ended up being a mobile distraction and health sink, since the shadows did a pitiful amount of damage to him, but that was all the use he’d been.

At least the core had been eager to join the ley line network, so something good had come of the experience.

:Katya left because I asked her to. You will be going into detail; while you may be comfortable with your family knowing all of your Path Skills, and Ita is a sworn retainer, Katya has other loyalties. She’s friendly and I like her, but I won’t share my secrets with her and neither should you.: Aki’s reasoning wasn’t identical to Serenity’s, but it was similar.

“What’s wrong with sharing Path Skills?” Rissa sounded confused. “We work together, she should know what I can do.”

:In general terms, yes. I don’t really expect her to betray you. Secrets stay within the Clan, however, and Paths can be dangerous if they’re too well known. Normally I’d say you shouldn’t share with me or Raz, either, but it doesn’t seem like there’s much point in being secretive since you live here, and Raz can simply ask me for what he wants to know. I will tell him.:

Serenity caught the implication: Aki valued Raz more than Rissa. It didn’t surprise him at all; if anything, it would have concerned him if it were the other way around. Even so, he trusted them both; while he hadn’t yet told them about his past, he expected that he would in the not-too-distant future.

Rissa frowned, but didn’t speak. Serenity quickly shifted to human so he’d be more comfortable on the couch and sat down next to her. “So what Path did you get? You seemed really happy about it.”

Rissa looked down and played with the ring on her left hand. Serenity couldn’t read the look on her hand until she looked back up at him. “It’s perfect. It’s my role for the next part of my life. It’s called Serenity’s Fiancee.”

Serenity stared at Rissa for a moment before leaning over and pulling her into a hug. “I hope it’s everything you want it to be.”

He also hoped it wouldn’t limit her. Some Paths did, adding barriers that needed to be overcome before certain choices (or any progression at all) was available. With that name, though, it was likely it would only be limited if he wanted it to be. He didn’t want to limit her, but this meant he’d have to be even more careful.

:A Linked Path. I wouldn’t have expected the Tier difference between the two of you to be enough for that, even with the link you two have. What Tier is it?: Aki sounded puzzled.

Now that she mentioned it, Serenity was puzzled as well. Linked Paths required a significant difference in power; generally about four Tiers. While he did have some advantages making him more powerful than his Tier, it wasn’t it wasn’t four Tiers worth of difference. Maybe it was his Previous Supreme Existence title?

“Tier Two. I know I should’ve taken another Tier One, but I am Serenity’s fiancee and the mother of his child and that’s what I want the next part of my life to be about.” Rissa turned her head away from Serenity but she kept her eyes on him.

Serenity smiled. “It’s fine. One Tier is easy to fix and … well, if I saw a Rissa’s Fiance Path, I’d take it too. I’m really happy to know that you’re happy with me.”

Rissa relaxed against Serenity.

Aki broke the tender moment with a mental snort. :Hmf. If you two lovebirds are done? Good. It’s a Linked Path, Rissa. Serenity probably hasn’t explained them, but they’re generally better than average and the requirements can be esoteric. Priest paths are generally Linked and the closer the bond, the stronger the Path is. Even though Serenity’s no god and this is only a Tier Two Path, I’m expecting it to be something special. It absolutely was the right choice to increase your personal power.:

“That’s not why I picked it,” Rissa protested.

:I know. Which is a good thing, people who take the Paths that simply promise power often become twisted. Now stop being a tease and tell us about it.:

Rissa concentrated and started reading her Path off the screen only she could see.

Serenity was glad to see she’d absorbed at least part of the lesson about secrecy, even if it was a little inconvenient right now.

Serenity’s Fiancee

Level 10: Party: Basic display of obvious information about the people you are working with. When known, Serenity’s information will always appear.

:Useful. Reasonable for a Linked Path; you’re clearly expected to work together.:

Serenity nodded to himself, agreeing with Aki. It made him hopeful; it was definitely a Skill for someone who went out and did things, which gave him hope for the rest of the Path.

Level 25: Attributes: +20 Basic Stats, +30 Perception, +50 Luck, Luck%, and Ambit

Rissa paused for a moment, waiting for a comment, but even with that she managed to say “Level Fifty-” before Raz broke in.

“By Sunrise! Did I get my math right? Is that really three hundred Attribute points? Tell me you misread it or something!”

Rissa looked over the invisible screen for a moment before nodding. “Three hundred looks right.”

“I’ve never heard of a Path that gave that many Attribute points.” Raz shook his head.

:I have. They’re rare and they’re the sort of Path that is usually attributed to legends. The interesting thing is that if you leave out the last three Attributes, it’s high but not insane. I don’t even know what Ambit is.:

“Area of control or something like that,” Serenity said. “It’s a lot of attributes but it’s also a unique Path, and I can guess where the Luck is coming from. If I’m right, it’s not guaranteed to be good luck. It’s more likely to be whatever will make Tyche laugh. I doubt Rissa has any abilities that use Ambit and as unreliable as that Luck will be … it’s useful but it’s not as good as it looks. With that said, the other one-fifty is still excellent.”

When no one replied to Serenity’s take on the attributes, Rissa continued.

Level 50: Shades of the Origin: Temporarily turn into shadows shaped like yourself. Limited ability to pass through restricted areas or avoid effects that cannot harm shadows. Limits the use of other Path Skills. Continuous Mana or Essence cost.

Serenity liked that skill. It was clearly based on his Sovereign form, but with some uses he didn’t have with how long his shapeshifting took. It was both a good defense and a good utility skill; an excellent combat Skill.

Level 75: Be Together: Tolerance for high concentrations of Mana and Essence is increased. Immune to Death effects and fields.

:Never, ever reveal that Skill to anyone.: Aki spoke quickly and firmly. :I mean EVER. If you have to reveal something, mention that it increases your tolerance for high-mana areas. Don’t ever talk about being immune to Death effects.:

“She’s right,” Serenity agreed. “Most people won’t care, but the ones that do … some will do anything to try to steal your immunity. So it’s better to not talk about it. That sort of Skill is exactly why it’s taboo to go into depth about Skills in a public setting, and why some people won’t share their full Path and Skill list with anyone.”

Level 100: Planetary Friendship: While on the same planet as Serenity or any allied planet, all personal magical resources and regeneration are increased by up to 50%. These resources will be passively spent to perform self-healing.

:That one can also get you killed. Though it would probably be by someone who wants you out of the way to court Serenity and try to get the same Path. It’s highly unlikely to work, but that doesn’t mean people won’t try.:

Rissa frowned. “That’s depressing. Are people really that self-centered?”

“Most aren’t. But some… Aki’s right. Some people are simply crazy, and having people to pick up the pieces afterwards doesn’t always stop it in the first place, especially not in places where the power-hungry are also the only people with power. With that said, be careful and you’ll be fine.” Serenity paused and thought through the Path. “That’s kind of an odd Path, isn’t it? It’s all about defense with a little utility.”

“A lot of utility,” Raz disagreed. “It makes sense, though. You always say you want to protect Rissa, this does that. I guess that Voice took you at your word.”

Serenity leaned over and hugged Rissa. She snuggled against him and Serenity lost track of the rest of the world for a few minutes.


:So, about the unconscious itchy man in the middle of the entrance to my Core Room.: Aki sounded slightly annoyed, which was probably fair. Serenity had forgotten all about Rube after hearing about Rissa’s Path choice.

Serenity reluctantly let Rissa go. She wasn’t any faster to release him, either. “Yeah, you’re right. We need to do something about Rube.” Serenity wanted there to be an answer, but he knew one didn’t always exist. He racked his brain and the only thing that came to mind was the dungeon rewards he hadn’t yet used. He’d mostly forgotten about them. He dumped his pack out and came across the Mercenary Guild tag he’d gotten on Tzintkra; he hadn’t used it at all and he’d completely forgotten about it. He tucked it back into the backpack, followed by the mysterious mana-touched rocks from the Solo dungeon that he still hadn’t figured out. There they were; the tokens he’d gotten from the Duo Dungeon.

Favor of Tranquil Conviction

You have won the challenge issued by Tranquil Conviction and he has acknowledged your Name.

Favor of Death

Commonly sought after but rarely granted, Death Himself believes he owes you a favor. This Favor will not be honored if called on by another.

Favor of Luck x3

You have amused the source of Luck. As long as you continue to be interesting, you will earn her Favor.

Favor of Coyote

A trickster with a fondness for Humanity, wherever it is found, Coyote has granted you a Favor that will allow you to speak with him.

Favor of Ptah

Thought, Word, Existence: Creation is Ptah’s passion, and you have crafted yourself as others craft the world around them. Ptah grants no gifts that you cannot make yourself, but those who can see shall know that he favors you.

Favor of the Earth-Mother

A home is more than a place.

Favor of Psyche

Risking your life to save the one you love not once but twice has gained you the attention of Psyche.

Favor of Tek x7

Hey, Serenity! Call me when you have some time, I have something else I’d like you to check out. Also, I should get you some more tokens. But use the phone if you’re on Earth, it’s easier!

The descriptions on Tranquil Conviction’s and Tek’s had changed. Serenity shuddered a bit as he read Tek’s; volunteering to be a test subject again was not on his agenda.

None of them looked useful. The Favor of the Earth-Mother was the closest, but it didn’t seem that likely to be helpful for Rube.

Linked Paths have been mentioned before, though the term for them wasn’t: remember Lykandaeon’s Slave, the Path Ekari refused? It’s a Linked Path.

When Aki talks about Priest paths, she means Paths that draw power from a deity. The most basic ones can be something as simple as “Priest”. They’re generally only slightly stronger than the equivalent Mage or Warrior path - but they are that tiny bit more powerful as long as you’re in the favor of your deity. There’s a reason they’re taken. Paths that are closer to the linked source (such as a deity) - for example, Knight-Justicar Captain of the Order of Jiraa - can be relatively more powerful. There are unLinked Paths that are just as powerful, but the requirements tend to be more opaque.

Serenity’s Fiancee is fairly straightforward, but there’s exactly one person who qualifies for it, so it’s pretty darn unique.


Yes, I left the Tokens and rocks out of Serenity’s gear list in the last book. I’d like to say it’s because I didn’t want to reveal the changed titles until Serenity looked at them … but to be truthful, I simply left them off the list accidentally (I may have missed them on the previous list as well). The changed wording is why I haven’t gone back and added them. They'll be in the next list.

18