Chapter 9
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Good day, customer!" A cheerful vender in a noisy street said before me. It was a port town with plenty of traffic. "would you like to buy some of my wares?"

I looked at the fruits and vegetables, pretending to appraise them, then I turned to the vendor and asked "may I look at them?"

At his consent, i took the best looking apple, and 'examined' it.

Since I needed to find out what my job is, that meant that someone was looking, and since I needed to find out, it meant that it was hidden- since I'm training to be a Rogue, it was most likely illegal or against the local authorities.

And if someone was looking, that meant that there'd be someone looking out for traces of a rogue. 

The sun was behind me, and I turned to examine the apple in the sun. I held the apple in the sun, then from where I was standing, I turned right from the sun so that it was to my left, then turned to the left so the sun was at my right, before turning back to the vendor and saying "I haven't seen many apples like yours, really exquisite." I reached into my pocket and then started rummaging. My eyes widened as I patted fervently in search of something that wasn't there.

The vendor looked slightly dismayed, and asked that I return the fruit. As I was returning it in my right, I skillfully managed to sneak a hand into his pocket with my left. Exclaiming suddenly, I told him that I found a coin, and that just for today I had taken my currency in the opposite pocket than usual. He smiled and returned the apple, as I paid him back with his own coin.

With a nice apple in hand, I continued down the street, and threw the apple to the side. That's how I finished the message. Turning around from forward to right to left signaled that I'm looking for someone, stealing the apple and paying in that way was a signal for something internal, saying the apple was really exquisite and not seen before was trying to hint at something big, and throwing away the apple would show I'm not there for stealing, but looking for a mission.

Basically the message was "can someone fill me in on what is going on with the Rogues' guild, and tell me what's my assignment?"

Why did I think this would work?

It's a type of thieves' cant.

And it did work.

Awhile later, making my way through the streets, I caught someone staring at me. He was sitting on a rag like a beggar, and he was playing with a coin, moving it in his fingers with extreme ease- A slight master from the Beggars' union. When he was sure that he caught my eye, he flung the coin upwards, very high, and caught it in a grab. He then turned his clenched palm upwards, and connected his fingers with the coin still between them. So some higher-up ended up in prison. 

I 'absently' stopped to check my nails, forming the same shape, then flipped my palm and checked my nails with an opened hand, then I raised my brow as though I found something of interest, and started cleaning my thumb's nail with my finger. This was a question of whether I should free him- for a price.

He clenched his fist. So he wanted me to kill. 

After cleaning my thumb's nail, I gave a satisfied nod, and continued on my way. 

Next was looking for an establishment with an R with a pointed foot, an A that was too long and pointy, or B that had a pointy head. That's an intelligence spot for assassination missions for the Rogues' guild and assassin's brotherhood.

It's kind of like a crest- for the Rogues' guild was an R with a pointed foot, the thieves' association had a T with a pointed leg, and one for the assassin's brotherhood had an A that looked a bit too long and pointy. There are others as well. It's so it's not too obvious to those who don't know what to look for, considering there are other embellishments, but it's in the open for those who do. This was a secret only told to those who had been trained for three years, and had been found absolutely trustworthy. Some inns had several signs, meaning that they work for whichever guilds are on the sign, but never more than three. Except for headquarters. It usually correlated to which missions one was looking to take.

I walked in to the BaRnyArd bard tavern, and took a seat by the counter. There were other people there who were eating and drinking like any other bar.

"Been a long day?" the bartender asked. He was a halfling that looked sympathetic. 

To his question I answered, "it just started," meaning I'm starting a mission.

As though that was a normal answer, he asked "would you like anything?"

"I heard from a friend that there's a very good dark drink that's going about. Although, it's been sold out recently in other places, so I thought I'd check here to see if you had any in stock." The dark was referring to someone from the coalition, and very good meant a higher up. Sold out meant that he was captive, and the stock I was asking for were the specifics.

"Ah, that one," he answered, "yes it's kind of hard to aquire due to tariffs on ships."

So it's a difficult mission, and the place had something to do with ships?

"Tariffs?" I asked.

"You know, at the dunce dock by the digger's port?"

The dunce refers to local authorities, so he meant the local navy, and diggers were either torturers or interrogators. So an interrogation room in a navy station.

"Well do you have it?"

"Your in luck," and he took out a dark, amber liquor, which I paid for. You have to buy something if you entered an establishment from the coalition and got information. It's the LAW. It's not a sign or anything, but you're a dick if you don't.

Well, time to go complete the mission. I went to the docks, and through an investigation found where the navy station is. It looked pristine and polished, with metal doors and barred windows. Except for the ones on top, on the fourth floor. I wore a cloak and gloves, that I would later dispose of. Breaking in was easy, and sneaking was easier still. When you master stealth, you gain the ability to become unnoticed in plain sight, if you're proficient enough. Moving through the hallway, I finally reached the interrogation room. I picked the lock and entered silently, and I spotted my target. He looked slightly disheveled but otherwise fine. Sneaking behind him, I readied a dagger in my right, then cut his throat. Immediately after, I hid again- Levels in this world allowed one to survive otherwise lethal wounds. He shot up from his seat, searching the room with blood flowing from his neck, his sharp eyes passing right through me. When his back was to me again, I stabbed it, this time not bothering to hide but just jumping back as he swung his fist at me. His eyes looked dangerous as he glared at me with a murderous gaze. I cut his throat first so he wouldn't call the guards, and he probably knew that so he didn't bother calling out. He lunged at me and I tripped him, changing my knife to my left hand and stabbing his back again as he passed my left, leaving it imbedded. Then I spun and helped him up with my left hand on his chest, so he overshot and tilted back and fell on my knee, where I took back the knife with my right hand. He tried hitting me but I dodged and stabbed again. He was bleeding from several wounds now, and was therefore hindered. I pushed him with of my knee to get him away, and he caught himself from falling on his face. I waited, as attacking him now would result in a limb getting caught. When he got up, he was hesitant from the last exchange, and decided to remain on the defense, so I ran at him. He threw a right jab as I came close, which I avoided with a smack to his wrist with my left hand, twirling along his arm so I could stab his open side with the knife in my right hand. I dodged under his swing, and stabbed his chest again, then I jumped back several times.

He was panting very quickly and was almost dead at this point, but still standing. So I threw my knife at him, which landed between his eyes. Booking it through the corridor, I jumped out the window I came in from, breaking my fall by jumping from the wall, easing my descent and landing in a roll. I unhooked the cloak during the fall, so it came off when I stood up after my roll. Then I ran. I didn't worry about the guards using the cloak to track me, as it was a Ranger's cloak I nabbed from a random ranger, and it had anti-tracking spells on it. The gloves were a different matter, so I picked a few decent-sized rocks from the cobble street on the run, which I then promptly put in the gloves, then threw them in the ocean, so they would sink. I took off my shoes in an alley, and threw them in the ocean too, then rolled in the dirt a few times, and made a few rips in my clothes so I looked like a shoe-less beggar. Walking calmly on the street, I headed back untill I found the BaRnyArd bard. Then I got my pay and the illusion ended.

0