Chapter 12
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A hooded figure was walking through the streets, with the hood hanging above his head. A mask covered his face, and a long black tail of about one-meter-sixty swayed behind him. His frame was Well built, and his hight of a hundred and ninety centimeters cast a long shadow in the shades fleeing from the rising sun. He carried a case in his hand and a flute at his thigh.

He arrived at an abandoned building, dilapidated through the years and growing mold. With a steadying breath, he entered the building.

The inside was even worse than the outside, as spiderwebs and cockroaches filled the place.

He stepped forward confidently, the floorboards creaking beneath his steps.

He carefully checked the first level, then the second, before finally checking the third. He found the room he had been trapped in for several months. He returned to the second floor, to the room where he had made a friend with the only person he could trust in his nineteen years of life. Bitterness rose at the back of his throat, choking him. Maybe he didn't manage after all

Sullenly, his head hanging and tail dragging, he stomped heavily out the door, where I landed on the bastard.

"Oof!" Creed exhaled.

"There you are!" I called.

I jumped off and spun him to face me, grabbing him in a hug. We were about the same hight, but I was lean in comparison to his bulk.

Pulling him away, I asked "Why are you wearing a mask?"

"It's... A long story," he said hesitantly. "After that sword was absorbed, something happened and I sort of... Well... it'd be easier to just show you."

He took off the mask and pulled back his hood, revealing the face of Satan. 

His glowing blood red eyes, straight nose, chiseled jawline, square chin, the only thing really different about his face would be the short beard that outlined his jaw, and a slight glowing effect of his purplish skin in the sun. And maybe higher cheekbones.

His horns shone even in the dim light, black and sleek like smooth obsidian glass.

Even from under his cloak, his hourglass figure was visible.

I squinted my eyes. "You... Grew a beard?"

"You- you don't feel anything?"

"Uh, yeah, it's kind of nice, I guess?"

"You... Muck, Nock, you were the one I dreaded the most about seeing my face, but your reaction's beyond lackluster, it's downright anticlimactic," he complained. He broke the mask he was holding.

"What's that all about?"

"Never mind," he sighed, "so how have you been?"

"I need clarification about currency" I stated, "because I don't think simple clothes are supposed to cost a Platinum coin."

He gave me a look and said "what?"

.......

"So you paid one of every coin?'

"Consider it patronage," I said

"I'll consider that a muck excuse."

We were walking on the streets near where I traveled yesterday, going to a place called an 'adventurers' inn' which is where people put up notices for things they need, like hunting beasts, making feasts, killing pests and inviting guests. It could range from literally anything to literally anyone.

Creed wanted to 'take a guarding quest and get out of this muckhole.'

"Here's one!" I called, "leaving in the afternoon!"

After eating, Creed and I went shopping.

I told him to follow me to NoBle Top.

"Why are we going to some fancy coattail?"

"Information."

Entering the shop, I asked saw the woman I talked to yesterday.

"What can I help youaaaiuuhaaahahaha."

What.

I caught her looking past my shoulder. Following her gaze, I saw Creed at the entrance, absently looking at different clothes. After gazing for a few seconds, he came over. I looked back at the woman, who was slightly blushing and wide-eyed, her gaze transfixed on Creed. 

"Why are we here again?" He asked. I focused on his voice- it had become deeper than I remembered, and had an enchanting echo to it.

I looked at the woman again; her gaze became unfocused, and her blush intensified.

Oh... So that's what he wanted me to see.

"Creed, go to the back of the store and look for a cloth that catches your fancy."

"Why?" He asked.

"Just do it," I said.

He grumbled while heading to the back, whispering about nobles and muck.

The employee followed the swinging tail with her gaze until it was out of sight.

"Who is that?" She whispered, out of breath.

"Satan."

"Well," she reasoned, composing herself, though she was still out of sorts, "he is a handsome devil, I guess."

This isn't why I came here.

I asked bluntly, "I'm trying to find a blacksmith."

"Two blocks forward, one right, the second left into an alley, three doors in, best I know." she answered.

I took out two gold, and she tried refusing and saying she'll 'take a date with the handsome devil, and maybe he'll also be willing to show her one hell of a night' as payment. I stuffed the coins into her hands, went to retrieve Creed and left the shop in a hurry. Following Sawrin's directions (she told me all her details when I tried pointing out that neither I nor Creed knew anything about her (even the ones I'd rather not know)) and on the way I asked "so your supposed to be really handsome or something?" 

"So I've been told."

I looked him up and down. His black cloak with a mysterious aura, his black boots, gray pants and dark shirt, as well as his black case for his fiddle.

"I think you look ridiculous."

"Thanks."

Thinking back, I asked "so why did you think I would have a reaction?"

"All the other guys at the Symphony did. And the women."

Stopping in his tracks, he said "that... That explains a lot."

He shuddered.

A pause came between us as I came up with my next question.

"How come no one's reacting like Sawrin?"

"I don't know, but it probably has something to do with public places."

We stayed silent, as we continued walking side by side to a blacksmith.

0