Chapter 13
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"muck! it's been three years, and still nothing goes as you plan it! Seriously, you got us a ride with a little prissy princess? Didn't you at least look to see the name of who we're supposed to escort!?"

"How was I supposed to know that Goldwing was a marquis? It sounds like a merchant guild! And I didn't even know this place even had aristocracy!" I argued back.

We were waiting by the gates of the city Fruskan, where I first arrived, which I asked Creed for the name of earlier, and apparently the daughter of marquee Goldwing was going to the 'Goldwing manor' in the city Duntborn that's five days away and needs an escort. That we agreed to. And if we cancel we'll 'make some old plop angry and send some mucking guards to dispose of some pieces of crap-namely us' so Creed put it.

"And we don't even know what she's like! And why would they even need someone to escort their daughter if they're a noble!? Don't they have guards!?" I added.

Creed rolled his eyes and turned to the incoming ornately decorated carriage pulled by a pair of very large equine beasts.

I had now with me two daggers, a few days worth of food, some utensils, and no money save two gold which, as Creed put it earlier, is 'enough muck for plonk for five days before we end up in a pile of dung.' and this escort pays fairly well, about fifty Gold coins. I had traded the gems I had for spell components that Creed needed.

For reference, laborers earn about five Silver to a Gold a day.

Adventurers get paid a lot.

The carriage was decorated with gold embellishments, and drove by itself. It was fairly tall and seemed to ride smoothly without a suspension.

The carriage stopped Infront of us, when I realized something strange- there were no guards.

From the carriage stepped out a young woman. She was about twenty years of age, human, blonde and pink eyed, of proper proportions that were hidden behind a long dark dress. She appraised us and asked "you're my hired escort? You don't look like much."

"According to your situation," I countered, "you didn't ask for much."

She smirked and said "you have some nice eyes, dark and vigorous, yet they look innocent. I may not have asked for much, but I do remember that I requested for an escort, not a tagalong. Although," she looked at Creed, "you look like a fine tagalong."

"Is it a custom to downplay the capabilities of others?" I asked, slightly annoyed. "Like some noble etiquette? If you want to make sure you have a proper escort, how about you bring some guards next time to your little escapade."

She was taken aback, before giving a fake smile and asking "what are you talking about?"

"Your rudeness"

She pursed her lips before stating "I am Nelliny Goldwing, and you will show me due respect if you wish to escort me!"

I gave her a look before composing myself and answering "my, there seems to be a bit of weird logic behind your words. Let me make things clear- 

  1. This is a job. A chore. I'm not sure you know what those are, so I'll simplify- they're not fun.
  2. We don't need to be your escort, so if you're not satisfied, get a different one. Or better yet, get a guard. Or better still- learn some discipline.
  3. I don't care who you are.

Now, are we going to leave, or argue?"

She pouted and acquiesced.

"I know magic," she mumbled upon reentering the magic carriage.

Creed started at me wide eyed and said "I didn't know you know how to noble!"

"I don't," I answered as the prissy princess went out of sight, "I just like aggravating people and being right."

He scrutinized me and said "you're very good at the first one, but the latter needs some work."

He patted my cheek and followed after the moving carriage, skipping as he did.

To get back at his demeaning burn, I kicked his 'hind as I ran passed.

He chased after me, and as I passed the carriage, I heard someone mutter "oh my gods"

0