Chapter 21
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"...This is a lot harder than I thought it'd be," I murmured. We were in the library, where they also keep record documents for some reason. which I exploited to the fullest. I had taken a document that was from the route of bookshelves titled 'domestic affairs', and was about to open it.

"I told you it wouldn't be that easy!" Creed sounded exasperated.

"What?" I asked, looking up from examining the scroll in my hands. "I meant the paper- where I'm from it's relatively soft. What is this even made of?"

"Probably some lizard. What about the location?"

"Location? Of what?"

"The cultists?”

"Either the sewers or some noble's underground secret chamber. Or a cave somewhere- but that's probably the main hideout. The ones in cities are always there," I said.

"If you know where they are, why are we here?" Creed asked.

"Because I don't know where they are, and I'm not certain about which noble's on the spin."

"The what?"

"Sorry, jargon. I meant the turncoat" at his confused stare, I clarified again "the traitor."

"Then how will you find out?"

"Cross referencing and paper trails. I saw someone in my world who managed to discover an underground mafia from a case of stolen noodles. By accident. The noodles I mean."

"What's that?"

"What's what?"

"What you just said"

”Cross referencing and paper trails?" At his nod I explained "they're what I call bureass is mine."

He gave me a weird look and asked "did you find anything?"

"Obviously not- I haven't even opened the scroll yet."

I opened the scroll.

"Now I found something."

"What? Really?" He leaned over my shoulder and I opened the scroll wider so he could see.

"I can't read it," he said.

"Me neither," I echoed. "Now I know why they keep records in the library- it looks like it's written in doctor."

"I thought you said you found something."

"I did," I took out the code paper that I had looted previously, and showed it to Creed.

After comparing, he exclaimed "they're the same characters!"

"And the same person" I showed him some defining similarities in the handwriting, and then said "we should head to the main desk to find out who is in charge of the 'internal affairs' documention."

We headed to the main desk, where a librarian was reading a scroll with an occasional snicker. we walked to the desk, and waited to be noticed. When we weren't, and the librarian continued snickering, I cleared my throat. with a jolt and a Scramble to hide the scroll, the librarian then turned to us and asked, "what may I help you with?"

"We'd like to know who is in charge of the local affairs section of documents," I asked.

The librarian looked impassive.

"It's for research purposes."

The librarian looked unconvinced.

"It's important," I insisted.

The librarian was unimpressed.

"Please," Creed added.

”Üorénén on the second third floor, go left from the stairs and through the third door," she told Creed with a smile.

”Thank you," Creed said, an even worse smile on his face.

After we walked an away from the desk, I paused and asked "what's a second third floor?"

Creed stopped, looked at me and sighed, and continued walking.

"Well I thought it was a fair question."

Making our way to the stairs we walked up two flights and were met with three doors Infront. We entered the second one, me following Creed, into a long hallway that shouldn't fit in the building, and then turned left. At the third door, as per instruction, we entered. I didn't bother examining the simple yet plush furniture, as I spotted the first proper elf since coming to this world- slightly short, blonde and green eyed, and I guess slightly less then half as handsome as Creed. I guess. Or a lot less.

"What peculiar guests. May the blessings of the dawn be upon you from Üorénén, and might I inquire to what ends you have deigned to meet myself?" His eyes looked full of mirth, and his mouth was lifted in an elegant smile.

"I'd like to know if you are in charge of the local affairs section of documents," I asked.

"That indeed would fall into my jurisdiction to take care of."

"Do you write all the documents?" 

"Certainly not- infact many were written by count Parós."

"This as well?" I took out the scroll, handing it over to him when he outstretched his arm. After examining it for a bit, he said "yes, I do believe so."

That was quick. 

"What do local authorities think about cultists of Shmot?"

"Shmâd?"

"Yeah."

His gaze turned to Creed.

"Not him," I said.

The elf thought it over, then his eyes widened, then narrowed.

"To profess a noble as a cultist is a severe crime," he warned 

"And to expose one is probably serious money."

"You'd have to have substantial evidence."

I took out the slip I found on a cultist, and gave it to Üorénén.

"A meeting spot?" He asked, a quizzical look on his face. "how is this evidence?"

"I found it on a cultist."

And then his countenance turned grim.

"How did you know he wrote this?" Üorénén asked.

"The handwriting's the same."

He considered for a moment, looking into my eyes deeply, Then stood up and started pacing, holding his chin

"This is a serious matter- I can't understand why my friend Parós would participate in such coalitions." He ran the hand that was stroking his chin through his hair in a show of frustration.

He turned to us and said "to convince others of these, you'll have to show something that doesn't rely on two nameless peasants " "adventurers" Creed corrected.

"Two nameless adventurers' word of mouth."

"we're adventurers," I said, "We don't need help. We need directions. Where's Parós' manor?"

Üorénén was taken aback, then said "it's dangerous- I'd not advise it."

"I love danger."

He smiled.

0