C.38 : Hellish Night Pt. 2
1.5k 5 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We've arrived." Wolf Squad slowed the SUV as they pulled into the parking garage and rushed out, rushing into the Precinct. When they made it to the fourth floor, Kira was already waiting for them in front of the small lab set up for her.

"We have five samples." Wolf Three handed the vials to Kira who spun and ran into the lab, dropping some blood on a slide and looking at it under the microscope.

"At first I thought this was a new virus we hadn't seen before, but... these anomalies in the blood cells are just like that of Oliver's blood, but it's in a different state, it seems to be alive."

Kira was sure that even if she lined the two samples up side by side, the results would be extremely similar. Irene who wasn't a doctor or a scientist could only wait for Kira to come to a conclusion.

"Tell me the characteristics of these infected people you've come across Wolf Squad, don't leave anything out no matter how small they might seem." Kira turned to Wolf Squad who hadn't yet left the lab.

"They were extremely determined to rush at us, not even caring if they were injured or died in the process. None of the infected seemed to be affected by pain and any shot that hit unless it was lethal barely slowed them." Wolf One spoke, trying to compile his experience into something usable.

"No signs of communication between them? Any gestures or anything that could imply they were self aware enough to possess rationality?" Kira had pictures of the blood samples taken and sent them to the big screen on the wall.

"Kira, the infected estimation count has reached fifteen thousand. The barricades in the north and east were overrun and some nearby communities outside of the city are also sending reports of infections."

"It's spreading too quickly. In those infected regions, what's happened to the police and VPA Squads we sent out?" Kira gritted her teeth and tried to stay focused on her task.

"Two Assault Squads are deemed K.I.A and we have over forty casualties for the local police force. Two police stations, the Northern and Eastern stations are being overrun currently." An analyst on Kira's team spoke up with a grim tone.

"How long do we have until they reached this Precinct?" Irene who was silent until now asked Kira who was visibly frustrated. Kira took a deep breath and then looked at the large monitor on the wall.

"It will only speed up from here. We have maybe half an hour until the fight reaches our doors. We can't even evacuate the civilians because we have no more people available, and because of that, there will only be more infected." Kira's eyes were red and she couldn't help but shudder when she felt a tear roll down her cheek.

"Ms. Kira, the Director is on the line!" A soldier handed Kira a phone and stood to the side while Kira steeled her nerves. If she were in trouble, she could only face it head-on now.

"Kira, what is going on? News of Sapphire City is trending all over the world. We can't suppress the news anymore without being denounced by the public either because we've mobilized the closest bases to Sapphire City."

"We have air support on the way, but our movements can't be concealed from the public anymore because the videos show quite clearly that the city is being overrun." The Director deployed military force to Sapphire City, but would they arrive in time to change anything?

"Sir, the city is on the verge of collapse and we can't evacuate the remaining citizens. Even our lives aren't certain and this situation will only get worse." Kira spoke quietly over the radio, but everyone present could hear her and came to a realization.

That's right. Sure, they may have a temporary refuge, but it would not last. All it took was one infected person to breach the defense and they would be hard pressed to survive, and winning was out of the question.

"Is this virus new? We have no records of it anywhere." The Director of the VPA couldn't wrap his head around what exactly plunged the city into this hellish nightmare.

"Comparing similarities, it seems to be a carbon copy of the Sanguine Virus, but it's lacking several markers which is probably why they can be killed by conventional weapons." Kira wasn't sure if they were a failed version of the Sanguine Virus or just something similar.

"I'm being called to a meeting concerning national security. I'll send helicopters over to extract you and your team. When they arrive, get on the heli and leave immediately, do not delay." The Director was deadly serious and then said something in a lower voice that made everyone shocked.

"I haven't entered the room yet, but the Pentagon and CDC are trying to get the approval for a intercontinental ballistic missile to be used. I have to go, I'll be in touch." The phone went dead, leaving everyone stunned and in silence.

"If they use that..." Kira's analyst muttered to herself, because the losses would be too high. There were still civilians in the blast zone, and if they did that, firing an intercontinental ballistic missile on their own soil and even their own people, they would not be able to escape public condemnation and outrage.

"We have to find out how to stop this quickly! It's two things left how, somehow find a way to stop this, or the entire city and over a hundred thousand people will be razed to fire and ash." Kira looked at the screen again, determined to somehow change the outcome even if she had no possible hope.

"Detective Irene, your phone is ringing." A soldier pointed out Irene's phone had been ringing, and she robotically took it out and looked at the screen, puzzled when she saw it was an unknown number.

"Hello?" Irene answered in confusion because even though the communication lines weren't down, she had no one in the city that would call her at this time.

"Hello, did you like my present Detective~?" A playful voice came from the other side of the line, one Irene recognized because she couldn't dare to forget the person who tried to kill her previously.

"Orissa?!" Irene yelled in shock! What was going on? Why would she call at this time and ask about a pres- Irene looked at the statistics on the screen and then put her phone on speaker and placed it on the table.

"Indeed, it's me~ I was a bit miffed that you all hunted us Vampires, and I felt turn about is fair play, so I created a few pets to occupy you for a bit~ A good present, no~?" Orissa's teasing voice sounded like a death god's chime because Kira suddenly understood why the two Viruses were so similar.

"You did this? Why?" Everyone looked at the phone, feeling a sinking sensation in their gut because if this person made them once, couldn't she make them again?

"Well, you killed some of us right? So it's only fair I do the same. Well, I'm sure everything is really exciting, but do you mind getting me into contact with your higher ups? I only want to negotiate a bit~" Orissa's voice was really beautiful and seemed to emit charm, but knowing this whole thing was her fault made them feel that she was simply a monster, a demon!

70