C.54 : Publicity
1.3k 14 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Irene PoV

Kira sat at a desk consulting with various other experts in biology while Irene stood with her back to the wall mulling over the events of the past two days.

After the ghouls retreated and seemingly vanished into thin air after reaching the outskirts of Spinel City, leaving all the humans who tracked them speechless because they knew the ghouls did not enter the city, so where did they go?

Ryan Miller and several other wealthy businessmen in Spinel City were investigated, and it was all but confirmed when large amounts of funding were used to renovate a building he owned.

The death rate of the city was stable, which meant if the vampires were gathering, they weren't killing when they fed, but no reports of anyone being attacked were reported.

"A shady guy was seemingly frightened to death alongside his guards who seemed to have committed suicide. We have no further details at this time." A statement from Spinel City's police department caused few waves amongst the people because the guy in question had a terrible reputation.

"Turn on the TV!" The police director of Spinel City burst into the room and spoke in agitation. One of Kira's analysts did so but before he could ask what channel to watch, a familiar figure appeared on screen flanked by four figures in terrifying black cloaks.

"I'm sure there are people who would love to ask questions, so you can ask me anything with reason and I'll answer it to the best of my ability." Orissa's smile was gentle, a far cry from the vicious and cold one she showed during the other meeting.

"Then, how do vampires exist? Weren't vampires just a myth?" The woman sitting across from Orissa asked with a tense tone. Orissa tilted her head slightly and thought about it before answering.

"Well, I do know the government knows about it since we've clashed a few times, and I am very real, so I can ascertain vampires being real." Orissa tapped the armrest with the same smile.

"Who all has access to this video?" Kira frowned when she saw familiar faces on the smaller panels, namely the Director of the VPA, The Secretary of Defense, and a few other big name figures.

She hadn't even ended the call when a request came and a secure email with a link popped up. It was the location of the broadcast, which was less than ten minutes away by car.

"Everyone around the world with a TV that's on or access to social media or viewing platforms can see this." Kira frowned when she heard this because it was extremely daring for Orissa and the vampires to do this now.

"As you can see, you have several high ranking government officials who you can ask to confirm your doubts if need be." Orissa looked at the camera, her purple eyes looking mesmerizing even on screen.

"We're moving." Kira shot up while Wolf Squad who had been assigned to her after the events of Sapphire City had a new face to fill in the blank left when Wolf Four left, leaving them a bit dispirited and down shifted.

"No offense ma'am, but Orissa who can call herself their queen is there, and she has at least four vampires with her. We can't even kill one when prepared, so if we go now, we'll be at their mercy." Wolf One spoke up looking at the menacing figures of the black cloaked figures on screen.

"If she's doing this, then she won't risk worsening the public image of her people. Killing me would be completely counter-productive to what she wants and if she can kill over twenty thousand people to do so, she shouldn't care about us if we went as long as we don't attack."

"Yes ma'am." Wolf Squad filed out and went to prepare a car, while Irene approached Kira with a worried frown. Although what Kira said made sense, who knew what went through the mind of that crazy woman?

Opening a tab on her phone, Kira followed Wolf Squad to the parking lot and got in a car with Irene. On screen, Orissa answered a few questions but her expression didn't change at all.

"So, some people are saying that aside from you being very beautiful, there isn't proof of you being a vampire at all." The woman spoke meekly when Orissa's purple eyes landed on her face.

"If the fact the government is here isn't enough, then I'm helpless." Orissa shrugged as if she wasn't bothered. Honestly, vampires could pass for people if you overlooked their pale skin and sometimes erratic behavior.

"Do you have fangs?" The woman spoke up seemingly regaining her courage but Orissa smiled and shook her head. Kira couldn't guess what she was doing.

"If I did show you all, you'd just say it was edited or something. It honestly costs me nothing to show you, but isn't that quite bad? If I reveal my differences, who's to say humans won't immediately want to bring about our demise?" Orissa smiled at the camera and the faces of the government officials changed and one finally spoke up.

"My name is Director Michael and I oversee the Viral Protection Agency formed by various government agencies investing manpower and funding formed to research and study the infected." Director Michael spoke with a gloomy expression.

"These infected have three different types. One can be called werewolves, or their equivalent. The other are zombies who lack all cognitive functions and only seek to eat and infect. Then there are the vampires who are led by the woman you see before you now."

"Like she said, the chaos of Sapphire City and the death toll surpassing twenty thousand are the results of her actions there." It was no surprise when Director Michael's voice fell, every chat room burst into commotion.

"What are they saying Clara?" Orissa smiled again, but Clara who realized she was sitting across from someone who could do what was said felt her heart thumping wildly.

"Most of the polls are cursing you as an evil monster. And others are asking why you did what you did." Clara finished and was afraid Orissa would get upset, but she only lost her smile and sat up straighter.

"Are you really asking me why?" Orissa frowned and gave the camera a scornful look, one that made everyone watching feel shocked that even after causing so any deaths, she'd look completely unbothered and act so nonchalant.

"It's simple really. It's because you're humans." Orissa didn't elaborate and the cries for vengeance and anger filled every chatroom because they didn't expect her to be so discrimating.

64