C.65 : Prelude to Chaos
2.2k 14 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The vampires surrounding the people present shifted as they heard the sound of cars driving closer, looking at the humans who were between them unkindly.

What was to say this group wouldn't join the others in an attempt to harm them? Orissa gave Kira and apologetic look and then looked at the entrance of the building.

"As you can see, none of us want you inside, so can you wait outside?" Irene was pissed because it was Orissa who called, now she wanted them to wait outside?

"You can't really blame me, can you? It's quite possible if you had the opportunity to wipe us out, you would, so we can only be on guard." Orissa pointed at the door with a look of helplessness.

"We'll be outside." Kira cut Irene's words off and led everyone outside, and only then did the vampires calm down a bit. Orissa gave them a reassuring smile and then walked closer to the doors.

"Will you fight?" Odelle appeared from the stairway with a small frown because although Orissa was strong, she could still be injured, and vampires could feel pain just as well as any human.

"You do know that if someone manages to get a lucky shot in, you could spend the next few centuries in Hibernation?" Odelle spoke softly but the vampires present still heard her words.

"If I don't and they die, what would be the point of this? I could survive just well on my own, but some of them cannot. If they die, is there a need to continue down this path?" Orissa spoke seriously for the first time in a while.

"Remember, even though you want to help them, they also want to do the same for you. Be careful." Odelle seeing Orissa so determined to fight, she didn't dissuade her and instead found a spot to sit down.

"Some people have arrived." A vampire closest to the door spoke and everyone listened to the sound of several engines cutting off, and the sound of people getting out.

"Orissa?" Odelle said uncertainly when Orissa's body flashed and she left the building, stopping besides Kira and Irene while observing the people before her.

With her sudden appearance, several of the people armed with guns and blunt weapons were startled but gritted their teeths in anger and moved forward until the police stepped up to stop them.

"Good morning, can I ask why you decided to come here in force like this?" Even though Kira knew why, she still asked to try and hope they'd take a step back.

"You have the nerve to ask us that?! As if you don't know what those blood sucking demons have done! Twenty thousand people are dead and this b*tch gets to strut around without paying for it?!" A man spoke holding a gun with the muzzle pointed at Orissa.

"You do know if you attack here, the vampires will repeat what they did before, causing more deaths as a result." Kira spoke but the man stated at Orissa's purple eyes and saw nothing, no fear nor anger at the situation.

"You! You did this! At least answer me!? Why would you do something so terrible?!" The man's hand holding the gun quivered but his eyes were locked on Orissa's own.

"From the beginning of human history, everything besides humans were deemed inferior or looked at with less importance." Orissa's voice was calm but that only made the man more furious.

"They're animals and we are hum-" When the man spoke, he was cut off by Orissa who shook her head and then glanced up at the sky and then back at those before her.

"Yes, you are humans. You know and can rationalize the feelings of loss, of despair, but if you kill an animal's family, if you take a mother's cubs, will it also not feel angry and at loss?"

"You hunted animals for pelts in the past, but you needed it then. But what of young tigers and leopards? They also have a family, and like you, they felt what you now feel."

"What makes you any different from the animals you have absolutely no regard for? You both have emotions, you have life, but humans easily overlook that when it benefits them."

"Yes, you are angry and sad. You have every right to be honestly." Orissa stopped and looked at the men and women before her and then shook her head slightly.

"But humans aren't completely blame free. If you can kill each other, why wouldn't you do the same to us? I needed a deterrent to protect us, so I killed over twenty thousand men, women, and children."

"So you admit it! You knew what would happen and you did it anyway?! How are you not a monster!?" The man's finger on the trigger became a bit unsteady.

"I never said I wasn't a monster. Aren't we all monsters? Humans have been in charge of the planet, but ruling out the deaths caused by accidents, humans have killed more humans than I have."

"Yo-"His voice was lost when Orissa spoke again. "Are you going to say that it's okay for humans to kill humans, but wrong when we do it? Then please stop killing cows and sheep since it's wrong."

"You see? It comes down to benefits at the end. You kill for food despite not being a cow or sheep. I killed to save my people, like many humans before me has done, and many after me will also do."

"If I were to reimburse you now, many would leave feeling dissatisfied but would still leave. Some would stay, but for those who feel they have a moral obligation to uphold by being here, you would stay under the illusions of being heroes."

"But when the ghouls attack other cities, you would be condemned as humanity's greatests sinners, and even if you tell yourself afterwards you were in the right, when the whole world disagrees, will you still believe that?"

"You want to be heroes, then pull the trigger. Heroes bask in publicity and worship, none of which you will get if you do so. You can also become the villain and shoot me, but then aren't we the same then?"

"Either way, you would go home and wait for the end, perhaps feeling accomplished until a ghoul sniffs you out and sinks its teeth into you and allow you to join them."

"Before when you killed others for the 'greater good', you probably told yourselves you had no other choice, no other option available. I had no other choice either. I'm not apologizing because it wouldn't be fair to ask for forgiveness."

"When you face loss, you know how miserable it is personally. You would rather it be anyone but you in the situation, and I had the choice to not suffer, so I chose not to." Orissa looked at Kira and Irene and then the man and went silent.

59