562. De Jure – The Black Gun
331 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The object sat on a cushioned bed made solely for it. It was a long object shaped like a Justica Arm, only that it was thicker to allow the user to wield it with both hands.

“Believe me, Ber. You’re not the only one that wants to go in headfirst. But we need to pace ourselves. Recall every time that we did. We’ll be no better than the Ateliers.”

Ber grit her teeth before her body relaxed. Frost was correct.

Just how many were sacrificed because of their rash actions?

“If we go too thin, then we’ll lose more people. Go too far and the Nexus becomes vulnerable. A lone Moon needs more than physical domination. You three know that the most. But you are also the only Moons I can trust to send further than anyone else. It’s contradictory. I know. But that doesn’t change that we’re the most likely to succeed against whatever the Impuritas throws at us.”

The highly decorated weapon was covered in golden strands that wrapped it like ivy. It provided excellent grip and highlighted precisely how and where one needed to hold it.

“Besides, I’m not good at war either. I never was. I can’t even begin to imagine preparing a theater or arranging formations for an army. Hell, I don’t have a single clue on where to begin. I came from a time where war was a thing of the past or hidden well enough for people to forget about it in just a few days.”

Frost took the black and golden Justica Arm look-a-like into her hands, spinning it with excellent gun artistry before she assumed a firing position.

“But even so – All of us are better on the field than up here. This war won’t be managed by me. I’m only going to be overseeing it and participating in key moments. The rest of it falls onto other more experienced hands.”

Frost was not so stupid to understand that war was beyond her capabilities. She could easily lead hundreds into battle as could the Triplets.

But that was a battle. Not a war.

“That’s true. You have things like supply chains. Not that Moons need them. But the Impuritas… Don’t they need biomass to maintain their strength?” Res pointed out, causing Frost so grin as she then plucked bullet that had rested beside the weapon inside of the casket.

War was fought more than just on the battlefield, and there was one other person who could turn the weak into a force strong enough to bring down an Atelier to their knees.

That person was none other than Galia.

And on the other end of the spectrum was Knalzark who specialized in complete domination. They were not the only two Beholders involved, as others had voiced their interest, but no conclusion could be reached until the next Arbiter’s Council.

This was due a few days before Frost’s departure.

A powerful breeze blew from behind as Frost loaded the black bullet, which was longer than her entire hand from the wrist to her fingertips. It had no casing. It was a bullet made from a special construction blend from Caldera Industries and was even reusable.

How?

Because the bullet had no propellant.

 

 

De Jure
< The bullet will decide their verdict >

 
 

AFFINITY: Judgement

 
ORIGIN : The Amalgam

ATT : 7,000 

TYPE: Weapon

< EFFECT: De Jure’s ATT increases depending on the power of the propellant used. It may be tuned to be stronger or weaker. Bullets may carry one chosen Skill of the shooter if applicable >

 

The propellant was of course – [Thermal Propagation].

“Enoch went all out. I’m curious if using me made it this powerful.” Frost’s words were luckily inaudible to the three standing behind her. “Guys. Cover your ears.”

“Surely it won’t be that loud.” Cer said, severely underestimating the power of De Jure.

And with her pose taken, Frost fired the weapon by creating a minor explosion in her right palm.

The world trembled. A five-meter fire ball consumed the tip of the barrel as a shockwave erased the clouds overhead. The sound was like a thousand cracks of thunder. Flowers instantly disintegrated, and those further away were set alight. The lucky ones only sizzled as the bullet was sent into the horizon until it eventually struck the oceans.

Water exploded as though a bomb had gone off underneath. The column rose over twenty meters into the air, leaving them all utterly dumbfounded by the sheer might of the weapon.

“I take it back. An Atelier Item…? That? No way. That’s a Corrupted Item. Right? Right Frost?” Cer was in complete disbelief that such a weapon existed. “I know we’ve seen Jury’s cannons but that’s still insane!”

“Guess… I’m going to have to start levelling up my railgun to compete with you.” Ber chuckled.

“Even [Electric Beam] isn’t as strong. Items that surpass the power of a Moon… Not like they never existed but that – That’s manufactured.” Res said. “It’s not a Corrupted Item. It’s an Atelier Item. I don’t believe it.”

What Frost held in her hands was not a normal firearm.

Neither was it a cannon.

It was a handheld artillery weapon.

“Such things must never fall into the hands of the common folk.” A voice suddenly greeted them from behind.

The scrunches of grass came from two individuals, one cloaked in light and the other in darkness. It was Galia and the Arbiter, who arrived just in time to witness the spectacle.

“Otherwise, how can you control them?” Galia added, drawing a Justica Arm of her own which like Frost’s was also colored black.

Instead of the golden ivy it was wrapped with constricting pale threads. The handguard was shaped like the feathers of a dove. She hoisted it over her shoulder, her smile subtle but brimming with a certain comradery at the sight of Frost.

“Good to see that another one has taken an arm onto their shoulder. O Amalgam. I hope we’re not interrupting something.” The Arbiter spoke, although she had already invited herself before Frost could give her permission.

“Of course. What brings you here?”

“Would you believe us if we said that we felt like it?” The Arbiter smiled innocently. “No. The freedom of drifting on a sea of consciousness is not a luxury of the purpose driven. But today I felt like hoisting my wings to catch the breeze.

And they happened to take me straight to you.”


6QEFjsc.png4vPul4S.png8cwKDIj.png

14