564. The Arbiter’s Request
182 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frost reached a hand towards where the water terminated.

Beneath was a pit that fell until it reached a singular point of darkness.

A thin, invisible fabric brushed against her fingertips, tearing apart at the seams.

“It’s safe. Go on. See what lays beyond.” Michaela urged. “Oh? Did you think I meant you? No. Only Frost may be permitted to.”

“Huuuh?” Cer tilted her head, only to be slapped on the back of the neck by Res.

“Show some respect! Ahem. Arbiter –!”

“O Young Res. Blessed Res… Need I remind you that we are friends? Be not afraid of this one.”

“Yes. Of course.” Res nearly bowed but was stopped short by one of Michaela’s tails. “I’m… also curious about what Cer said. Why is only Frost allowed to see what’s out there?”

“Because you are still lost.” The Arbiter did not elaborate further, her attention solely on Frost now. “Hmhm… More importantly – That place represents somewhere far from here. A place where thoughts conglomerate. And that place… is where Stars may only tread.”

“And the Impuritas think they can do all that when not even that Iscario fucker can’t deal with a Corrupted to save his life?” Cer made Frost smile with those words. “Who the hell does he think he is?”

“A Star.” Galia answered simply.

Frost peered past the torn fabric only to be met with a herculean wall of…

… nothing.

Nothing existed beyond this point.

It was a darkness that consumed everything. The same kind that prevented adults from entering the Escape.

But it did not gnaw at her.

Rather, it was welcoming.

The sea of blackness was a void without stars. In that place she became the only star, her eyes twinkling – the light beginning their voyage into the unknown.

The reason Frost could enter this space was because she is the very incarnation – the physical embodiment – of the Captured Star.

“… What is this place supposed to be?”

“A ‘Veil’. It is a measure to prevent beings of cognition from entering and exiting. It is not dissimilar from the ‘Thresholds’ that protect our Workshops from unwanted forces. It is what protects the Nexus from being entered unconventionally. Perhaps to stave away a certain ticking entity. Do not ask me how it operates. That is beyond my knowledge.”

Frost stuck her head further in.

“Yeah, but you somehow know what a ‘Veil’ is.” She grumbled, further amusing Michaela. “Hold me in case I fall.”

Hands immediately grasped onto her; all save for the Arbiter who watched on with fascination. Whether she knew or not was not something Frost could easily get out of her. She was like the cryptic NPC of a video game that accompanied the main character that new all outcomes, but by telling said outcome would change everything for the worse.

Frost deeply sighed.

She could not find anything within no matter where she looked.

That was until she gazed upwards.

“Wait, stars?”

“We are in the Middle Sanctums. It’s only expected that there will be stars above us.” Michaela answered.

“This whole time I thought I was already looking up. [Comprehension] really reveals everything, huh...”

Frost was only able to see the stars of universe when she enabled her [Comprehension I] Ability. The stars were distant. So distant in fact that it was if she was outside of the universe looking within.

Golden galactic filaments created an elaborate cosmic web.

She had seen this same image on Earth before. But here… the void – which were abnormal regions of space devoid of stars – were far more pronounced.

“… The Nexus is the thing closest to the Source, right?” Frost muttered to herself; her voice somehow being carried by the winds of the void. “Kind of fitting that this void in in the Middle Sanctums.”

“In what way?” Res asked.

“That the Gifts of the Beholders are stationed here. Fragments of Stars in a place devoid of them. If I didn’t know any better, then it’s almost like the Nexus is trying to ammas or house Stars of its own to make up for the emptiness. But then again… that doesn’t make any sense either. I’m just casting thoughts into the void at this point.”

“Is that supposed to make sense to us?” Cer barked. “Ahhh. Well, that’s that then. I wanted to see what this hype around the Stars and Glimmers was, but it looks like it’s big ball of nothing. Iscario thinks he can start creating Gifts? With the Apple Advent I can why he thinks he’s a big shot now. Also – Why it always Raoul that makes friends with the worst people?”

“They were never friends. Raoul would never consider that thing a friend.” Res assured.

“He’s the kind of guy that only a mother can love.” Ber shrugged.

Michaela silently laughed at her comment as Frost was dragged back in. Suddenly, Michaela’s eyes widened. Her smile turned into one of shock.

“Is something the matter? Don’t tell me my face melted off or something.” Frost said, pointing at her face as she wondered why the Arbiter had such a strange look on her face.

“… Nostalgia. It comes at times most unexpected.” She said, her expression then turning into one of longing. “I always thought it was a shame that your hair couldn’t be white. It’d suit you well.”

“You think so? I think having white hair would’ve made it even harder of me. Honestly. Actually…” Frost trailed off, fiddling with her hair. “If it was white, then do you think Iscario would’ve tried to imprison me –?”

The air became heavy all of a sudden. Michaela’s hold over the oceans wavered. An incredible amount of Nex radiated from her body, as did an overbearing pressure that nearly caused Frost’s body to shut down.

The ears of the Triplets folded. Galia also froze in place. It was as though Michaela demanded the world to stop.

“… If that were the case, then history would have played very differently.”

She turned her back to them. It was clear that she did not want to entertain the thought any longer. Frost had never seen Michaela so furious before. Even when she fought her as the Crowned, Michaela had never made such a dark face.

… did I say something wrong?

“Unknown… It is for the best that we leave this topic alone. The Book of the Price of Paradise will reveal all in time. And she will have to confront whatever demon it is haunting her.”

Yeah… I should apologize as soon as I can.

As soon as the apologetic thought came to her – the tip of a warm, fluffy tail brushed her cheek.

“It’s because you remind me too much of ‘Her’ that I am like this, Frost. That vagrant child who reached for a Star like myself and pulled my hideous form out of my cocoon. They are not you. Neither are you them. That much is certain.”

The Arbiter now shouldered her own weapon – the False Price of Paradise.

“I must find them. I truly wish I could leave the Nexus to do it myself. Neither do I enjoy the idea of leaving this task to you. But my pride has always been the blade that has repeatedly killed this heart. Hence why I will announce my request at my humble Council tomorrow. Just before you depart.”

The Arbiter then patted Frost’s head with her lone tail before retracting it. All seven tails rose over her shoulder like an extension of her blade of light.

“You already know it Frost. I want you to find my true Price of Paradise.”


6QEFjsc.png4vPul4S.png8cwKDIj.png

15