574. Fables of the Electric Fang
162 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Desolation plagued the coastlines of Southern Grandis.

The contrast of the beauty of the world afar and the devastation nearby reminded Frost of a memory from both Earth and the old world. Sights that were depicted in the Floor of Hope were also reminiscent of the scenery that unfolded before her.

Atlas must have looked like heaven to them, as well as the Nexus. You can see it in all its glory from all the way here.

Broken wooden shacks too cramped to be called proper homes were the sanctuaries of Demi-human families. Those run-down and half-burned homes ran along the foot of the mountains to her right.

An ocean of rotten tree stumps surrounded the villages; the remains of a forest that once guarded this place.

I hope they were able to find closure.

Frost moved through the stone highway at a breakneck pace.

She practically flew across, only occasionally needing to touch the ground as August’s eyes twirled with nausea. The plains here were vast. Green lands stretched as far as the eye could see.

It was almost surreal to be able to see everything both near and far at once. She could make out a walled off structure in the distance where spires rose to watch over the lands.

That place was called Solitude’s Watch according to Autumn. Solitude’s Watch was a prison made for criminal Demi-humans along these many villages officially sanctioned by the Kingdom of Puritas. For what reason was no doubt a depressing thought.

Those spires once monitored the villages over the tall canopies. Even when isolated the Demi-humans of these lands were never given an ounce of privacy. Their lives were forever the property of the Kingdom.

Similar albeit ruined towers could be found along the highway. They were also used to monitor the villages closely. At some point they were destroyed by what seemed like explosives. Others had tiny holes that ran throughout their structures as if they were shot by a hail of bullets.

Some of these ruins along the highway had evidence of electricity having been used, as evident by lightning scars thar sawed through logs and Lichtenberg figures imprinted into wood which could only be caused by high voltage.

Nav. How rare is electricity as a magic?

“Extraordinarily from what I am aware of. Very few can utilize electricity. Even less that can shoot it from their bodies. It’s often used via a proxy, like creating a cloud to shoot lightning. Why the sudden question?”

I have a feeling that the Triplets might have gone on a rampage sometime in the past. Can you confirm this for me?

Nav disappeared for a moment before replying with:

“Cer acted alone once shortly after becoming a Moon. It was a major reason why she was pushed into taking Serum G aside from Ber and Res. She’s pondering on whether to tell you a piece of her past now that you’ve asked.”

It’d be better if she did. Let her know that I’ll never judge her knowing what they’ve been through.

“Do you remember what Raoul did when the Twins were found to be on board the Leviathan? Cer did something similar in Grandis. She says that if you look hard enough, you might hear stories about the Electric Fang.”

Let’s hope those stories don’t end up creating a Corrupted. You’ll never know what the hell’s waiting for us out here. Haaaah.

Frost made occasional stops along the way, whether it was to investigate a run-down home or a dried up well didn’t matter to her. She was naturally drawn to the dreaded history of the Demi-human villages.

No matter how hard the wind roared or the girl atop her shoulders struggled, Frost could not be brought out of her solemn trance.

Her legs brought her to a coastal village that was no larger than the Village of Virt. There were no windows, and the salty spray of the seawater had decayed the walls of the houses that sat close to the steep cliffs.

Sadness permeated throughout these lands.

Using an Interrogating Clock wasn’t needed to know of the atrocities that occurred here. Tiny sandals that never had the chance to be worn were hung from a wall like a memento. Torn letters scattered the floors of another dilapidated wood and mud hut. The pathways that cut through the village could only be described as animal paths.

Demi-humans. Half humans. ‘Less’ than human. Coming back here reminds me of how cruel people can be. I can’t imagine living in that kind of terror of being persecuted at every waking hour. Being watched by humans from their guard towers…

“B-Bwaaaargh!” Autumn began puking her guts out as soon as Frost removed her from her shoulder. “Crazy… fast… Geez. Why didn’t you warn me before running off!?”

Frost shrugged innocently before digging through one of her pockets. Once her hands were hidden, she stealthily pulled out a small red vial filled with healing liquid.

“I said I was fast, right? For you.”

“Thanks. Well yeah – Ugh… So, why are we stopping here? To sight see again?” Autumn hastily removed the cork and began chugging on the sweet fluid.

“Just having a look. I tend to get uneasy when I come across sights like this. Any legends tied to this place? Like for instance… The Electric Fang?”

“Pffft. Electric Fang? As if you couldn’t be more from the North. That story’s become a lullaby by now here in the South. They say that they cleaned up after the Solem Paw went missing, but if you ask me, it’s probably just a story made by the August Manus.”

Autumn handed the glass bottle back to Frost.

The August Manus were apparently a major Syndicate that filled the power vacuum the Solemn Paw left behind. They consisted of veteran warriors and Adventurers from all three Kingdoms and operated as a mercenary group that was one of the most effective and, strangely enough, cheapest option compared to most groups.

But that was only if their client was human. Only humans could request their aid, and their group was made up of pure-blooded humans. Furthermore, not just any human could join their ranks.

One must also be a survivor of the Solemn Paw.

Are they the people I came across? The weird guys that were pointing their swords in the skies? I didn’t think the strongest Syndicate would have swords that a breeze can break.

That ‘breeze’ of course being generated by nonother than her. It was only a light jog. Does that mean that if she had gone her full speed then their armor would have peeled off?

Frost was curious as to why those blades broke, but then again, she didn’t really care in the first place.

“So the Electric Fang is just a story at this point?”

“A tale more like it. People use it as a children’s story to teach them about the dangers of wrath – or something like that. It was common even when I was just a kid. I mean, does it make sense that someone can control a giant field of lightning that’s allegedly tens of meters wide? Killing surviving 5th Order Purifiers systematically?”

Frost wryly smiled.

I forget how old the triplets actually are despite their appearance.

“Probably not. But let me know if you have any material at Aquadale.” Frost received a nod from Autumn as she strolled through the village.

It irked her that there were no graves to be found.

“Were the Demi-humans abducted? Bastards couldn’t even give them the luxury of a proper burial.” Frost growled, causing the poor girl to shiver as a dangerous chill ran down her spine.

“G-Graves? Oh… you bury people in the North?” Frost glared at her not because she was angry, but because she was surprised by the fact that a burial was seen as deplorable in Grandis. “N-Not that I’m judging but… that’s kind of… taboo.”

“The only thing taboo is not letting a body be at rest.” Frost assured her, finding a lone white chrysanthemum at the base of a dried up well.

“So you have protection from the Corpse Snatchers up there then. It must be nice…”

Corpse Snatchers?

“We do.” Frost played along, not wanting to show her ignorance. “I see. It was my mistake assuming that the South has the same resources as we do.”

Nav. What are the Corpse Snatchers?

“Unknown. This is a first for me as well. But Res is answering that the bodies of the deceased often disappear only to reappear later like puppets on a string. Similar to the things you saw during your fight with the Masterpiece.”

Frost quickly put the pieces together.

The Memento Mori.

Undead did not exist in this world in the same sense as literature from Earth. They were bodies controlled and hoisted by the Impuritas. Perverted Necromancers better described them.

Corpses were usually burned in Grandis to prevent them from attracting the Corpse Snatchers.

Meaning they have a large foothold in Grandis. Great. Perfect. I was wondering what fucking Impuritas Group I was going to break coming in here.

Frost was elated to at least know who her potential targets were.

“If only it was a problem about resources.” Autumn sighed, joining Frost as they stared out to watch the morning sun rise above the sea. “We just don’t care enough about each other. That’s why people form groups in Grandis. You know about the trials the in the forest of Mount Virt?”

She began, tucking her hands behind her back before looking up at the Nexus.

“The Black Forest. The number of corpses that littered it needed so much fire. Who would’ve thought that using fire in a forest would burn it down? It was burned down before it became the home of a Corrupted. Nothing’s changed then, and nothing’s changed now. We’re all afraid of something we can’t control. But I think the worst thing of all is –”

“Ourselves, huh? People accused each other because they didn’t want to be accused themselves.”

“Yeah. That’s the kind of hell we live in. The Corpse Snatchers will never let us forget the sins of our fathers. Grandis has never seen peace. Ever. I’m bumbling on but you’re… I don’t how to say it, but you’re scary – but a good listener too.”

“I also want to be heard too, so I’ll always lend an ear to anyone who asks. Are you feeling better now?” Frost placed a hand onto her head.

The girl couldn’t figure out why this person seemed so much more mature than her despite her size.

“Just enough to make it to Aquagale.” Autumn chuckled cheekily. “Can I ask you something, Miss? How did you get so strong?”

Frost was a special case. An answer like conviction or determination were not enough in this kind of world. The reason she had become so strong was because she was fortunate enough to have powerful tools at her disposal from the start.

Without them, she would have died on the spot in front of the One Thousand Eyed Bird during her declaration of wanting to live. But even with these tools it was never easy for Frost.

Her eyes locked with the girl as something resonated within Autumn’s chest.

“Wanting to change everything that’s made my world miserable. I’m a spiteful person as you can already tell. Hatred alone can get you far.” Frost answered honestly, seeing no reason to lie to her. “Alright. Let me pick you up now. Since I answered your question, tell me about the 13 Orders.”

“What the – But you answered so simply.”

“Nope. I answered honestly. The onus to become strong is solely on you. Don’t ever forget that.” Frost flicked the girl’s forehead lightly before smiling at her. “But I think you got the spirit. Let’s go. No more delays. I need to set out as soon as possible.”


6QEFjsc.png4vPul4S.png8cwKDIj.png

11