592. The Slices of the Forbidden Fruit
293 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One Sin.

Blood was always red. Wrath was also a sin defined by the color red. But the One Sin did not represent Wrath at all because it was not universal.

Something deeper than the color of this blood that stained Frost metaphorically existed inside of everyone if she were to take the meaning of One Sin literally. Thinking about it further as she drove her hand deeper into the crystal, boney cross led her to many branching answers.

Much like the veins and the nervous system she felt within the cross.

The branches of nerves throbbed as if in pain. The cross itself screamed but it had no mouth. Blood continued to gush as though it was bottomless. Blood poured over her lower garbs, splashing on her black boots as she fished for something within.

*Squelch*

*Squish*

*Splat*

“May I ask what you’re doing right now?”

“Searching for something. I’m wondering if this was left behind by the Icon of Judgement. Granted, it doesn’t have an Affinity or Origin attached to it, but you can never be too sure.”

This also led to Frost questioning whether these Markers were known. Nav quickly confirmed that it was true, but they didn’t have any unique properties to be considered dangerous.

So they were left alone. Untouched and left as a reminder for that fateful day.

After further wrenching her arm around, she finally clasped something that pulsated like a heart. Using her precognition abilities, she was able to see what it was before she could even pull it out.

“A piece of an apple. This is this thing’s heart. I wonder if it’ll be possible to turn back the clock here.” Frost pondered on the possibility since the environmental Nex was suitable to probe further.

Firstly, she wiped her free hand as she studied the apple slice further. It was closer to a gemstone than a fruit. The brilliance it radiated rivalled a star. But more than that, it felt like she was holding a piece of something deeply intrinsic to this Marker beyond being just a heart.

The proof was in its immense weight, which left lasting imprints on her bloodied palm as it crushed the veins and nerves that were attached to it like a sea urchin.

 

Proof of Sin

< The chunk that has been eaten exists in us all >

 

“… Would it be wise to eat something like this, Nav?” Frost wondered.

“That description is worrisome. I would rather you didn’t. But you of all people would be the one most qualified to eat it, aside from Jury.”

“Because it’s an apple, huh?”

“It would be like an apple adding more slices to its separated self.”

Frost was confident in her all-devouring maw as the Amalgam. Furthermore, this thing wasn’t a Corrupted either. Poison and such could not affect her as long as she digested it directly, and so, she took the piece and chewed it until it became a fine, mushy paste.

She waited seconds, then minutes. Before long it became apparent that this thing had no anomalous properties. That was until she felt a sudden call from elsewhere. It was a haunting hum belonging to a child.

It came in the direction of the city of Paradise.

Frost took out her Interrogating Clock and attempted to investigate this Marker. However, as soon as the ticking hands began to twirl backwards, a shocking pain coursed through her mind.

 

//////// < EXTREME WARNING > ////////

 

< An Aberration of Elysia has intercepted the Reminiscence >

 

< You have been forcefully removed from the Reminiscence >

 

“Tch…  Again? Again!?” The pain was like the time she wielded the Scorched Girl, but she had grown so used to such pain that it was barely an inconvenience.

After all, she had reached the point where she could sever her limbs without batting an eye.

“It wasn’t Elysia this time!?” Frost released a furious roar, attempting to turn back the clock again. “What the fuck are you trying to hide from me!?”

No matter how many times she asked, only a cold breeze would respond along with the humming of the mysterious child. Frost kept it together. It would do no good manifesting her States now and clouding her judgement…

“Even the Aberrations want to keep secrets from me… And here I thought we were both on the same side! Do I have to keep on finding it out myself!? Why can’t you just manifest here and talk to me!?”

… but even so…

 

//////// < WARNING > ////////

 

< The Will of the Amalgam Has Risen to the First State >

 

< The First State has Manifested the Listening Bird >

 

< Unfair Tale has failed to forcefully manifest itself >

 

Frost eventually calmed down. The Marker was destroyed. All that remained was the nervous system that stood like a thin, dead tree. It took the ominous appearance of a bird’s, which Frost immediately took down to end her fit of frustration.

 

< Are you ok? >

 

“How can I be fine when these… Ghk… Yeah. Yeah, I am. We’re this close and I’m acting like I won’t find anything. Mark my words, Nav. If this Aberration of Elysia, or if even Elysia herself keeps on interfering with me, then I’ll have no choice but to believe they’re enemies.”

She spoke loudly as if speaking with the Aberrations directly. It was unclear whether they could hear her at all.

What has been consistent however was the fact that they could interact with her during the Reminiscence, and secondly, when her Emotional State was Heightened considerably like that time a voice spoke to her about a bird being hatched from an egg.

Frost cleaned herself further, her garbs still stained with blood as she walked down the pale-brick highway, leaving the broken Marker behind with a dark expression.

“What the hell is in Paradise that they don’t want me to find? Jury must be having a hard time, since the Aberrations can also interfere with her magic. The Interrogating Clock won’t do me any good now. But if I can hear that humming then something strange is going on.”

Frost thought back to the slice of apple, wondering if it would serve as an alternative to probe into this further now that she could hear that song.

A melody she had heard the Arbiter hum before.

 

* * *

 

It was not long before Frost could finally see the majesty of the walls of Paradise. The distant fog finally parted, revealing the spiky spires of the walls which caused it to appear like a giant, thorny crown.

The walls were at least two hundred… no, three hundred meters tall. It was then that she realized that the wall was not made of concrete or stone. Not even brick and mortar. Instead…

“Markers…? Why are there so many Markers…?”

… the wall was made from nearly a million Markers, impaled at random angels like blades driven into the ground. It no longer resembled a crown.

“Nav. You’re not going to believe this. But this thing… it looks like one giant bird’s nest.”

Markers stood as high as a hundred meters. The colossal object imposed utter magnificence that was equal to the ominous tone of Paradise’s walls. Before the walls were stray Markers which Frost promptly devoured.

And as she did, the shadows of the Markers loomed over her as if judging her every movement. She could not help but feel like she was being watched by these things, screaming without a mouth to devour the sin that they had unfairly been accused of.

And that was no delusion.

The more apple slices she ate, the more she could ‘feel’ them speak. The vibrations of each Marker spoke to her in a language that could only be sensed through the air itself. Ever drawn breath made their voices clearer.

 

< “The black-haired traitor.” >

 

< “The princess has returned?” >

 

< “End this now. End what you have started.” >

 

She was mistaken for two different people again. The traitor of Puritas, and, more shockingly – the princess of Puritas.

What Iscario said was not merely an excuse for him to touch her head. It was true.

Frost looked like the princess of Puritas.


6QEFjsc.png4vPul4S.png8cwKDIj.png

11