361. Welcome to the Justica Arms Main Branch
678 2 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The clapping of leather soles filled a dark void. Several figures traversed the darkness without a source of light, for they could see all within the foreboding blackness. Not even the subtle glow of their golden eyes was able to cut through the dark.

It was clear that the floor was made from smooth stone. Marble was the likely material, but it was difficult to tell. Entities wandered alongside them, frolicking in the dark plains as shadows of a torrential downpour began to appear in the skies.

Jury’s eyes wandered all over the place as she followed Beholder Galia and the Arbiter through the place called the Threshold: a boundary that separated a Beholder’s Workshop from the Nexus. It was a checkpoint designed to ward away uninvited guests. Those that lacked the authority or clearance from Galia could never dream of finding this place.

During the ‘War in Heaven’ many years ago, the Threshold was what allowed the Beholders of today to remain in power. Even the Beholders that claimed to not have a workshop did in fact possess one, although, its state was no more than relic of the past.

Archetypes on the other hand were able to freely enter an exit at will. Because of this, major technologies were usually developed and sealed away within the Workshops. It was an impenetrable safe that allowed them to preserve the secrets of their technology, as well as technological developments.

Products could be created outside of the Nexus too. But it was just more convenient to have it within the Nexus.

It brought into question why the Ateliers chose to function outside rather than within. Logistics was one such issue. It would be a logistical nightmare to transfer the larger than life machines that Caldera Industries operated, never mind the Site Cores. Another was CogitO’s Reality Manifesters, which allowed them to create materials from seemingly nothing.

But more than that – the real reason why they chose to operate outside was to ensure total secrecy. It was no secret that the Beholders had things they wished to keep buried at all costs. To have them within the Nexus meant that they were under the complete scrutiny of the Arbiter and now the dangerous Amalgam.

Getting them all to host their stuff within the Nexus might be another focus for us. I wonder how Frost will respond to this. It doesn’t sound easy. But is Galia really right? Is secrecy their biggest concern?

I don’t doubt it, but there has to be more to it than that.

“Surprised?” Galia’s voice rang like a bell. It carried a tinge of excitement, leading them on as the streaks of dark rain above turned grey. “I was not here during the War in Heaven. But I’ve heard of the recounts from certain heads. An Iron Star once retold that the fighting within the Workshop spaces before the Threshold was implemented was just as bloody.”

Jury was about to ask how the Thresholds were created. But before she could utter word, the Arbiter brushed her tail against hers and answered:

“The Chained Theocracy’s technology does not just grant the Blessed the Dimensional Storage. It integrated itself as a core part of the Nexus.”

“Like how your Warped Stone lets people teleport through the Central Relays.” Jury caught on quickly, amusing them both. “This place is the result of the Dimensional Lock?”

“Precisely.” Galia swiftly answered. “We exist in this boundary that is partially connected with the Subcut layer. A quieter place, away from the flames, the ice, and whatever misery resided down there.”

“This isn’t the reason why you and Frost were able to enter our world. I thought it might’ve been the culprit.” Jury admitted, causing Galia to hum in an amusing tone as she elegantly raised a hand to the sky.

“The reason why we from other worlds leak into Elysia has no answer. One moment I was faced with the light, and the next I found myself standing in a field dyed red. I thought I had reached true enlightenment. But when I reared my head to the skies –”

Her fingers snapped, and the grey streaks became pale. A universe of shooting stars surrounded them, each with a vibrant trail of light that followed. But the closer Jury looked, the more she realized that those falling stars were in fact the crystal bullets used in the Justica Arms.

There were billions. So many that they rivalled the number of stars in the night sky.

“– I realized that I was no longer in my world. Stars look the same to the untrained eye. But I, who sought for reason in the insignificant of things, charted the world and the cosmos in the back of my mind and onto two thousand crude parchments.” She spoke as though reciting holy scripture, her figure basking in the newfound light as the darkness dispelled, revealing a vast, pale world that almost seemed artificial.

“Yes. When I saw the light, it enraptured me. And I awakened in this world.” Galia concluded.

The sky was black. But the falling bullets filled the empty skies, forever hailing in the backdrop where exactly 12 major crystals hovered like sacred monoliths. Each was of a designated color, wrapped by ribbons and decorated with metal rings that allowed them to however in the skies, likely thanks to Caldera Industries.

Few patches of grasslands could be found, as well as fountains and all manners of strange structures could be seen dotted almost randomly throughout the world. Creatures and even people could be seen here, each moving with a purpose and dressed similarly to her blinded personnel.

But it was what resided in the center that captured Jury’s attention. It was a crystal, shaped like the 6th Branch. It was a colorless crystal, yet at the same time carried all the colors at once besides white. This wasn’t a Branch of Justica Arms.

This was Justica Arms.

Their headquarters.

If the others were the branch of a tree, then this was the trunk.

It sat atop a platform, where a steep set of stairs led towards. Rivers of clean water could be found flowing between canals that cascaded down the stairs, and where Magicalis went to drink, and people to fetch water.

“Welcome to Justica Arms. Please allow me to show you our operations. I have a feeling that we’ll be working quite closely in the near future.” Galia extended hand to Jury, and she firmly took it.

 

< Entering the Justica Arms Main Branch for the First Time >

 

< Welcome to the Justica Arms Main Branch >

 

< Frost is quite jealous of you >

 

The Arbiter's Council will be beginning in 5 chapters from now. It has also just ended over on the Patreon.

32