364. A Breath of Fresh Air
594 6 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night was young. Cicadas chirped as the sun of the Floor of Amalgamation finally fell behind the distant ocean. Animals both near and far huddled close for warmth. Foxes lazed around the perimeter of the newly constructed estate, as slimes gathered around, bouncing against the walls where Ignis was certainly hiding behind.

Slimes were weird creatures. Biology be damned once again, and Ignis always seemed to be the one who they adored the most whether it was the violent red ones, or the calm blue, adorable ones.

Frost peered out from a balcony located on the second floor, consolidating her thoughts in the cool breeze alone with nothing but a small cup of coffee in hand. Ignis and the triplets found the time to spend what was left of their Nex on a shopping trip at the reopened Common Hub.

Coffee. Tea. Vegetables, spices, even small furnishings found their way into their Dimensional Storages. Behind her was another balcony that overlooked the atrium of their warm estate, which was lit by cozy fire crystals, which were installed like downlights in every room.

It was difficult to get used to this kind of life. Once upon a time this was the norm for her. How only four months managed to change her habits, lifestyle and morality spoke volumes about the kind of world she lived in, and her position in it.

Nothing made her happier than to take a breath of air at her own leisure.

Frost was in casual wear this time around, wearing only shorts and a loose shirt. There was no reason to wear a coat when the cold didn’t do much to her anyway. The embarrassment she once had regarding her body had nearly completely disappeared. Total acceptance was only a step away, and she couldn’t be happier.

Her hair danced to the breeze, the strands fluttering further than they ever had.

Anna was present in their home too, as was the Starchild. The Floor of Amalgamation had become the home for these Archetypes, and she wondered if others would also arrive and come to call this place home too.

Parts of the past came running back as she heard the laughter of the others underneath. It wasn’t enough to spoil the mood or cause her to become melancholic. She sipped away at the steaming mug of coffee, one that had a picture of her crudely painted on the side by Ignis.

The taste was amazing. Lots of sugar was added to the beverage too. She never remembered herself having such a sweet tooth but now that she could indulge in all kinds of tasty things, this odd side of her begged to avoid the bitterness of ‘mud water’.

She laughed to herself, the shenanigans becoming wilder as the slimes suddenly stopped and turned to one another, giving up their efforts as they sadly shuffled away and huddled into one big, colorful mound.

And they weren’t just any ordinary slimes either. Some had animal ears, others with a tail, and some that glowed in the night like giant fireflies. Frost wondered if Ignis didn’t want to see them because some of them had those animal features.

Suddenly, the door underneath swung open as Ignis left the house. The slimes immediately bounced over to her, gathering by her ankles as she plucked a few up with the help of the little Frost and the Star Child.

Not all were allowed into the house of course. Imagine the havoc they’d unleash. With a bundle of them in their arms, they turned around and returned to the house, but not without waving up at the watching Frost.

She waved back and returned to drowning in the lovely sights of her home, waiting patiently for a special someone to return. After her meeting with Mimicry, she had sound proofed the walls of their room which was located the furthest away from the others for intimate and private reasons.

Beds were also purchased by Ber, and they were considerate enough to get them a double bed. Frost had spent some time decorating the room enough to feel like it was their own, although, the most she did was move the bed around and have a fuzzy carpet in place.

Materialistic possessions weren’t… exciting to her anymore. Not as much as weaponry, given how her life has been thus far. It was reflected upon nearly everyone else too, as the furnishings were simple rather than extravagant and excessive. They just needed the bare minimum to live comfortably.

Thankfully, Ignis and Anna were here to help. Res was also fairly knowledgeable in this department too, surprisingly.

Aaaah. Lost my train of thought again.

Frost hummed to herself, twirling the liquid in the cup.

Footsteps suddenly approached from the wooden staircase behind. A pale-blue head emerged as golden eyes stared intently at her. It was Nav, who walked with her hands held neatly by her legs as she joined Frost at the balcony, firstly asking:

“Can I join you?”

“Go ahead. Hey, how’d you know I was feeling lonely?” Frost joked.

“I can read your mind better than the others. It’s only natural that I understand you the best.”

“I’m kind of happy a part of you is still in my head.” Frost hummed. “Wait, have you been informing Jury all along?”

“Partially. She tends to know it by instinct.” Nav answered, standing side by side by Frost.

There was a large contrast between their stances. Frost lazed along the wooden rails, slumped over like she was trying to catch her breath whilst Nav stood dignifiedly like a Goddess. It made Frost smile for some reason as she turned her head to the side, her cheeks meeting with the warmed wood.

“How are you finding things?” Frost asked.

“Comfortable. Everyone has been tremendously helpful towards me. As expected after my efforts of mentally guiding them for the last 4 months. Are interactions based on rewards and benefits as such?”

“Like a transaction?” Frost wondered.

“Are you all being helpful because I was helpful?” She looked down at Frost, never blinking as she wondered if this was the nature of interactions between people.

Frost shook her head.

“It’s too complex to be a transaction of give or take. If the world was based on that, then I don’t think sincerity would be a thing. Imagine helping someone with the expectation of putting them in your debt. Nav. Sometimes people just do things because they want to. Putting meaning on every little thing becomes tiring. Like for instance… if I were to ask to hug you, then what would we both gain from that?”

“… I do not compute.” Nav tilted her head. “Warmth?”

“Here.” Frost opened her arms for Nav invitingly. “Come. Maybe you’ll understand better by experiencing it.”

Nav glided towards Frost and opened her arms, enveloping one another as Nav tried to fathom what Frost meant. Because if anything, this only further confused her. When she said this, Frost broke away, but Nav didn’t seem capable of tearing herself free, much to her shock.

Nav didn’t want to let go.

“It’s not easy to describe or teach. Your way of thinking is completely different from mine. But the more you let yourself experience things, the more you’ll understand. I’m sure one day that steel will turn to skin and veins. That oil will turn to blood.” Frost raised a hand to pat her head. “I bet you didn’t expect to get pampered when you came up here, huh?”

“I came here because you seemed lonely… I suppose I was wrong. Thank you.” Nav flashed a rare smile before breaking away. “I think I understand it better. I was reading a poem made by a machine, so I became curious of the rules that dictate interactions. Such rules may be fallacies as you say, but I cannot help but to approach it in a critical manner.”

“Nothing wrong with that. Has Anna been bringing you books?”

“Plenty. She is more knowledgeable than she thinks. I enjoy her company very much.” Nav spoke fondly of the girl, causing Frost to laugh a little. “Hm?”

“Sorry. Anna’s becoming really popular with all kinds of people lately. Haaaaah.”

“Something wrong?”

“I’m just happy. It’s a happy sigh.”

“Sighs can be happy?”

“Yeah. Just like how tears can be.”

“I see.”

“Wanna give it a try?”

“Like this? Aaaaaaah?” Nav’s monotone hum was adorable, and Frost found herself trying to coach a machine how to make a happy sigh as the night steadily progressed.

The was never a dull moment between the triplet’s shenanigans, Ignis and the slimes, the Innocent and the Star Child doing emoji battles, and the Hired Arm and Anna’s cozy late-night readings by the fireplace.

Eventually, a familiar face arrived in the distance, waving enthusiastically at Frost and Nav.

“I shall leave you now.” Nav departed. “Jury wants to spend time with you.”

“I can tell.” Frost laughed.

“I mean it in a private way. Enjoy your time with her. I will return to indulging in the books of the Eternal Library.”

“A-Ah… Right. Thanks.” Frost turned a little red as she patted her hair, trying to remove the numerous cowlicks that still plagued her hair to this day.

Needless to say, another intimate moment was upon them.

29