371. The Arbiter’s Opening Statement
653 3 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I stand before my illustrious Council, founded within the heights of your celestial rock, and our memories of a distant relic. As the Archetype of Judgement, I extend my gratitude to all members that have come to join us in this annual meeting of the Beholders, and now, of the Archetypes.”

The Arbiter began reciting her opening statement, a ray of brilliance shining down upon her like a spotlight.

“It is my duty and my responsibility to oversee, mediate and hear all discussions, agendas, issues, and contributions of all members present. You have been summoned here because you represent the Ateliers of the Nexus: bodies of utmost importance with powers that have and continue to sway the world near and far. Above, and below. Your Ateliers rise above the greatest of Kingdoms and Empires, and thus, I have called you here to discuss on neutral grounds.”

She was thorough with her speech. It was the same one they had heard over and over again, but its meaning had remained the same throughout each holding of the Council. But today was different. An invisible barrier encased them as time slowed down by 10 times, allowing the Council to run far longer than normal as Frost watched over them, unable to retain a neutral gaze as she knew that these were the people responsible for many of her grievances.

Directly or indirectly mattered not. Each one appeared like a nail to her, and she had to wonder how hard she’d have to hammer them down before considering ejecting them from the Nexus. The battle had already commenced in her mind as she attended this foreign environment as the main attendee.

But nerves were nonexistent here. It was like how one would suddenly find confidence when their life was on the line. Frost was never the kind of person to freeze in place, and therefore, she thrived under this immense pressure, even exuding one to match it.

“Our deliberations here will be heard by all Moons and Stars of the Nexus, and I shall judge all equally. Therefore, I ask of you to only follow my Council’s rules. We must never forget why the Council was formed in the first place. When Paradise was lost, it marked the beginning of an era of entities that not even the Beholders could challenge. This Council represents our vital unity to prevent another similar incident, and to defend the Nexus.”

Her voice abruptly cut off as her eyes wandered onto where Scarlet Logic once stood, now replaced by Time Reverberation and Beholder Jury.

“However, there has been another betrayal of the Nexus. This time, by an Atelier. I have been blind for these last 15 years, but now I can see. I now know the faces plastered on the heads of our Ateliers. And I now know the truth and lies written along the silk of your wear.”

“My resolution has always been unity. I have failed it. I will not fail this time. We must recognize that there are more than just Corrupted to worry about. I’m sure you understand. Now then. The Amalgam’s agenda. It comes in fivefold.”

The Arbiter raised five fingers, bringing each down as she uttered them:

“The truth; the move away from morally devious methods of extracting Nex, with certain exceptions; a commitment to all resolutions and restoration of wrongs; to allow the auditing of all Ateliers via Time Reverberation; and, to recognize that the Amalgam is functionally the Head of the Nexus.”

Though she spoke with a neutral tone, her message came across as a demand. These five things were the cornerstones of Frost’s resolution, and she would not tolerate a single one of these being left unfulfilled by the Ateliers. The only way they could even remotely redeem themselves in her eyes was to commit to all five of her agendas, and to reach a promising, hopeful resolution in each category.

Frost aimed high.

So high that people would look at her as if she was insane, or a tyrant looking for blood. But if they knew how hard she had clawed her way up from the misery caused by their own making, then maybe they’d be a little more sympathetic and understanding about why she so strongly desired to regulate them.

And not outright eliminate them.

Indeed. Regulation was the main concern when it all boiled down.

Asking for sympathy, however, was too tall of an order. At least that was one thing she knew she couldn’t achieve.

The air instantly became thick; Frost’s eyes clashing with all Beholders in the room. A million words were exchanged by their gazes alone. Some smirked, whilst others observed with deep intrigue as if they were a spectator themselves, particularly Enoch and Satania. Others refused to speak, abiding closely by the rules of the Council, where one could only speak if either asked, prompted, was given permission, or was their turn.

“These are our agendas for this Council. The underpinning goal will be unity. Consecutive Councils until the end of this month will be held for other major agendas. Namely, the restoration of the Nex Megalopolis. However, Nexus affairs and other related topics will be held at a higher Council.”

The Arbiter’s words sparked an immediate response, many seemingly confused by what she meant. Was the Arbiter’s Council not already the highest one? None were aware of the existence of such a thing. This was because it had not existed until now.

Frost glanced at the Arbiter. Prior to attending the Council: Frost, the Arbiter, all Archetypes excluding the Director, Jury and Galia discussed their resolutions, agendas and how the Council would play out. It was here where Jury was able to conduct test runs with her Isolation Sphere tech, and where Frost received minimal coaching and expressed what she wished from the Arbiter.

A small smile formed across her face as she silently thanked her Angelic friend, then receiving a pleasant nod.

“The Amalgam’s Summit will be where only trusted Ateliers may be invited to join the shoulders of the Archetypes. All decisions above will trickle down to Ateliers, therefore, there will be an expectation that you will adopt whatever passes above. If you too wish to speak, then you would firstly need to stand by our side.”

Things such Frost’s acquisition of the Moons, Stars and likely the Exalted would be held elsewhere by more trusted Ateliers, or those that had an Archetype to represent them. It was there where more radical internal changes would be made.

It also served as a major incentive for the Beholders to decide how much they were willing to adapt to Frosts’ aspirations. Holding a position above would be beneficial to them, but would it be worth sacrificing what has been working for them?

Frost silently acknowledged that this would be the largest issue. The fact that their sources of Nex couldn’t be easily replaced was the largest wrench in their plan. She looked over to Galia, and the Beholder devilishly grinned.

“Thank you.” The Arbiter reached the end of her opening statement, her wings blossoming in a welcoming manner as she held both hands near her heart. “The 15th Annual Arbiter’s Council will now commence. We shall begin with the formal introduction of the Archetypes before we will hear introduction of all Beholders.

This time, it will not be so shallow. The Amalgam wishes to hear all and only the truth.”

36