374. She Who Cradles the Moons
582 5 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“As the current Reality Principle of all Beholder Descartes, I represent the entirety of CogitO. One of the oldest Ateliers, responsible for the creation of all Cognito-related products, or Aspects. However you wish to call it.” The woman politely spoke.

If it weren’t for the chamber’s ability to carry her voice across the room, then no one would have heard her. It was uncannily passive coming from an Atelier, even more so with her normal appearance. She was like a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

None would be the wiser to believe she was a Beholder.

“We, like Caldera Industries, specialize in the production of Atelier Items and our Aspects. We facilitate all major communication efforts and devices, manage and oversee all Repentors, and store all information in a mental realm. As you can see, our hands have dabbled in nearly all Atelier projects.”

She stated, adding:

“Our goal first and foremost is to understand the mind. All efforts are to strive towards the mastery of the mind. I think, therefore I am. It is our motto, and it encapsulates all we know of the Corrupted, and partially, the soul. Even less of the identity. We are at the forefront of all psychological logic and law. It is through us that we can loosely predict the mental deterioration of certain personnel.”

Her terminology resounded with Frost, for she was used to hearing this kind of language on Earth. Save for the ‘Soul’ part, of course. She was curious how they were able to detect a potential Corruption. Did they have something implanted into the Moons? Could someone detect it like she could? Or, was it through certain cues?

The latter was something that Frost had also begun to pick up on, such as when one suddenly began to monologue or revel in their despair. That was, in her mind, the hallmark sign of an impending Corruption.

But first, she needed to ask something.

“Do you mean the Moons?” Frost’s tone sharpened. “You imply that you’re aware of how extensive the Corruption is.”

She didn’t outright state that people could be Corrupted just yet. The Moons watched on with bated breaths, wondering what she meant by this. Like the Arbiter, Frost arrived with vital knowledge but to her frustration, this once imperative knowledge was merely sealed away.

She’d understand if it were for the larger part of the world. But for the Moons? Not only did they drug them, but they lied and disregarded their limited lives. Were they afraid that the Moons would stop fighting the Corrupted in fear of becoming one? She knew Moons were the most susceptible, warranting the needs for Serum G, however…

They at least deserve the truth. I want these Moons under my wing. Just like the triplets. You’d think they were trying to run the Moons down.

“It certainly does seem like that. 56 Moons is a questionable number. They are more like the pool of unwanted Moons. The Ateliers had already snatched the most useful ones.” Nav agreed, her input only further bellowing Frost’s resolve to absorb the Moons as her own. “These Moons may appear as risks. Perhaps the only way to remove them without an uproar would be to feed them to the Corrupted.”

… if that turns out to be the case…

The Nexus quaked.

Frost’s hair inadvertently lengthened down to her waist as the Moons watched in a blend of terror and awe. The tips of her hair were dyed grey, her golden eyes carrying an irrevocable desire for the truth.

 

< The Will of the Amalgam Has Reached the First State >

 

< The First State Has Manifested as the Listening Bird >

 

Frost’s transformation caught them by surprise. Though they did not hear the instruments of the Augurists, they immediately recognized that they were in the presence of a Corrupted. She raised her hand, as did the Arbiter to quell the situation.

“This is but one of the Amalgam’s powers. It would be in your best interest to avoid angering her. It would be troublesome for you if she were to manifest the very same Corrupted we all failed to bring down.” The Arbiter warned with a friendly smile.

“So it can be worn.” Satania spoke with quiet surprise, infatuated with Frost’s form. Her cheeks fell into her palms. “Beautiful. ‘She’ would have loved to see it for herself. That poor, poor girl.”

She then cast an indifferent gaze at Jury, then back at Frost’s benevolent, Corrupted form.

“I will ask you again: Do you mean the Moons?” Frost’s question demanded more than just one answer from Beholder Descartes 3.

The Beholder’s eyes became hollow momentarily before color returned, as if she needed to consult a voice within her head.

“The Moons. Personnel. All who we monitor. We understand that Corrupted take two distinct forms. One is born externally from the living, and sometimes machines in very, very rare instances. The other, as of recent: is that people can assume the form of a Corrupted.”

She worded it in a manner where the truth was still obscured, as if to prevent panic amongst the Moons. So, Frost looked to the Moons above and confessed in her stead.

“People can become Corrupted. This is what you struggled to admit. It was so simple… Why? Do you think Moons are the same as the Impuritas of those Hearts? Those Dungeons that seek to become Corrupted?” Frost grueling spoke, her tone deepening with each voice as she judged them.

Ber’s hands crackled with black lightning; Cer’s jaws sparking dangerously, and Res’ eyes brimming with an unstable current. The mention of using the Corrupted to become one’s true self resonated with them deeply, particularly Ber. It did work in a way, but this was only because of Frost.

Also… none of this would have occurred if they hadn’t taken Serum G. As elated as Ber was to have transformed into the ideal her, she would never wish it upon her worst enemy. She remembered the other ‘ideal’ selves. The self-destructive versions of herself that pushed Frost away on that lake, or the one who was chained up by the Ateliers, wishing that all would just… end.

And like Frost, Ber entered the First State, her left arm transforming in a wicked, black claw.

“Do you believe this is what Moons want?” Ber uttered. “Cut the bullshit. ‘Recent’ means hundreds of years ago. They knew. They always knew!” Her voice turned into a shout. “That the Blessing is the only reason why we haven’t turned into Corrupted!”

“That Serum G was another layer to keep us in line. And we all lapped it up like dogs. Yeah. You can’t laugh at us now as we’re telling it straight to you like this! You all obediently believed everything they told you and look at what they’ve been hiding all this time! Look at how they thank you when we can’t even own a place to call home!”

“The reason Moons mysteriously disappear is because they believe we are susceptible to Corruption. But if they were like the Amalgam… if they understood the hell they’ve thrown us into, then they’d understand that it’s not our fault.” Res said. “Our Amalgam showed us that we can live. That we don’t have to sacrifice ourselves! Why is it us that always fight the Corrupted when there are another hundred Moons kept safe within their Ateliers!?”

The triplets broke out into a frenzied rally. The topic had changed from the Corruption into this. It was only a matter of time when they’d interrupt, and Frost allowed them to gush, as did the Arbiter.

Once upon a time, Frost used to hush them in the face of other Beholders and high-ranking personnel. But now, they were given her complete authority to speak their mind.

The Moons above fell silent. Their breaths were robbed by the triplets they had collectively humiliated. Somehow, to hear them advocating for them in spite of their wrongs caused one Moon’s eyes to tremble.

“The Amalgam can change that! The Amalgam wants to change it! The Amalgam… has already changed it for us. Because she listened to us! When we told everyone about Scarlet Logic, they laughed! And look what happened!” Cer continued barking as they were vindicated of all wrongs in the face of the assembly of the same people who dismissed them.

Beholders were visibly irritated hearing this, but they could do nothing to stop them.

“… Moons are not the only ones susceptible. Everyone in our world is. But they are the most vulnerable. Dangerous. This is why so many measures are taken against the Moons.” Frost spoke after a long, lingering silence, filling the Council with renewed life. “However, it has also stripped away your freedoms. I wished to address this later on, however, now would be the appropriate time. For that reason, I do have to thank you, Descartes 3.”

“… you will risk the Corruption of the Moons?” Beholder E. questioned.

“No. Because I can save them if anything were to happen. The difference here is that I can reverse the Corruption.” She then pointed at Ber. “My Claw broke because of you. I rescued her from the depths of her Corruption, and she returned as now the most powerful Moon of the Nexus and as an extension of my hand.”

“Unbelievable… reversing the Corruption?”

“This is unheard of.”

“Hmhm~ I feel like I shouldn’t be hearing this.”

“Most impressive. An absolute power of an Archetype. I suppose that makes this reasonable.”

“… the opposite of the Corruption. A saving ‘light’. I see. Times have certainly changed.”

Number voices overlapped, the council entering a state of warm chaos before the Arbiter silenced it all with the wave of a hand, allowing Frost to conclude before it would be Beholder E.’s turn to speak.

“My wings will cherish them. I will personally oversee the Moons of the Nexus. Where they have always been watching the world, casting their light to ensure no night would ever be eternally dark –

– No one had ever asked who watches over the Moon.”

35