393. Infinite Burdens – Resolution
540 4 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Do the ethics concern you? I do not relate.” Nav coldly admitted. “There are enough Corrupted in the Nex Megalopolis as is. But, this is also the best way of gaining Nex to allow the Beholders to transition their Ateliers into less sinister versions.”

Through an equally sinister way. Fucking hell. Nav. Let me also remind you that those same people that will become Repenters are the ones that wouldn’t let go of the chance to torment a healer. My issues are two things:”

Frost then addressed them to Galia and Satania specifically.

“First, how can we guarantee that innocents won’t be involved? And secondly, I want someone capable of dealing with them immediately than having to wait for a Moon to respond.”

“CogitO can detect when they are about to deteriorate. But it becomes difficult in the presence of Genesis Stones, and underneath that fog that covers the City of Spades. Hm… I can arrange it, however. Eternal Nights and above would still have to be dealt with by Moons.” Satania agreed. “There are plenty who can deal with Moonsoon Corrupted. Better if they can capture them alive. There is an even better proposition, however. Hyperwarps. We can send them into the Nexus directly.”

“This was how ‘raids’ were conducted by the Blessed. When there were not enough Moons at hand, we’d rely on the Blessed to fight the Corrupted inside of the Nexus.” Galia revealed.

… so that’s what the ‘intruders’ and ‘guests’ tab we saw under the Nexus’ Status were for, huh. Shit. This isn’t supposed to sound compelling, but I’d rather those people be turned into batteries than let them die.

“Frost. Is this the choice you want to make?” Nav spoke in a concerned, yet indifferent tone as if to test her.

We don’t have a better alternative. In the grand scheme of things, the internal affairs of the Nex Megalopolis seem so small. I won’t stick around forever either. We’ll be travelling across Elysia soon enough to gather the rest of the Main Sequence Corrupted.

“And to find the Advents.”

That too. There’s so much on our plate. The scope of it all is only just getting to me. The issues in the Nex Megalopolis feel massive to me. I feel like I’m the only one who sincerely gives a single shit!

Frost internally smoldered at the thought, although she knew that this wasn’t true at all. She had friends that cared just as much as she did. Even the spiteful triplets were entirely on board with restoring it.

Violence is necessary. Healers are realizing that too. Remaining passive or neutral isn’t going to cut it anymore. Ateliers are too preoccupied with their own affairs and for a good reason too. Associations can help, but they can’t be thrown around like the Repenters. I’m curious. What the hell are Harrowers?

They were, as explained by Satania, individuals that managed their of group Repenters. All major decisions were made by them, and they were more or less Repenters but with more rights. Funnily enough, this was granted by the number of wrongs they carried.

These people were the ones who wished to be set free the most.

“Your operation is going to be scrutinized heavily.” Frost eerily promised.

“We are aware. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks. Acedia can learn a lifetime’s worth of wisdom.”

Mimicry? That’s right… didn’t Oboros Infinitas have plans for it?

“In what way?”

“To teach her how to live. You may be able to teach her morality, but through this it will be applied, and it will test whether or not she is capable. Of what however was never mentioned to us. Her mouth was firmly sealed. She seemed eager to understand her rights from wrongs. Mostly to gain your approval.”

Mimicry in a managerial role sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. But Mimicry wouldn’t do anything to turn its back on me. I wonder. Nav. Do you think Mimicry can reach a point where she can manage bigger things while we’re away from the Nexus?

 “The Hired Arm and the Innocent have limitations. Namely, their inability to speak… if there is anything that can precisely take after you, then it is Mimicry. I do see this as a difficult endeavor. The environment does not strike me as favorable to help Mimicry develop its moral compass.”

Work placement or an internship is the only thing I can draw similarities to. For the role of a torturer though. I don’t have any roles I can slot Mimicry into. It’s not like they’re a newborn where they’ll absorb what happens around them. At the same time, anything can happen…

“The state of Acedia will wait. Your proposal, however, is compelling enough for me to accept it so long as we are both in agreement that I ultimately have the final say on matters, and that Time Reverberation may freely intervene as they see fit. I have some trust in you because you have been incredibly honest with me, but not enough for me to let you lurk outside of my eye.”

“I also take your Three Heads of Security have power over us?” Satania hummed, surprisingly pleasantly when she turned to face the triplets. “Cer, Ber, Res. Eye, Fang, and Claw of the Amalgam. Or the Head. Both interpretations are equally striking. Very well. I approve~ Let them come as they see fit. They are the only Moons to have succeeded against a Woe of a Fallen Star, as I’ve heard.”

She intentionally spoke highly of them to further cement their place as Moons that exceeded all.

“I still want to know if you have a failsafe. If worst came to worst – if the city were to be infested by Corrupted because of the Repenters – then what can you do?”

“Sever them.” Galia snipped the air with her hands, with Marionette smiling at the gesture. “Untether them. Amalgam. You carry Scarlet Logic’s technology to create your own version of the Replication Cycle. With your help, we can not only control them, but eliminate them all in one fell swoop. You hold the keys. Twist them however you see fit.”

This could certainly work on ordinary people, but what about those who were already Corrupted? As expected, this was impossible. At best it would stop a chain reaction. Once again, Frost found herself in a situation where countless lives could be erased on a whim.

She had become a self-aware hypocrite. This method was as cruel as any other. But she didn’t see these people as ‘people’. Her mind rationalized it so easily that it frightened her.

The resolution was a double-edged sword. She had to consider what they were up against. If Hearts of the City existed – which carried HP exceeding even a Woe of the Fallen Star – then they needed to arm themselves beyond just Atelier and Corrupted Items.

They needed to wield the power of the Corrupted.

All things considered; they now had a sizable workforce to begin the restoration of the Nex Megalopolis. The details, however, would wait until the Amalgam’s Summit. There, they’d also dabble into how Frost could utilize Scarlet Logic’s Aspects of Technology to wrap every single one of them around her finger.

Infinite Burdens was right, and it was as horrific as she could have ever imagined.

A perfect punishment for inhuman scum.

Besides, if they truly wished to turn over a new leaf then it was entirely possible. It would be hell, but that was the point of it. Otherwise, how is one supposed to properly repent?

33