403. The Conclusion of the Arbiter’s Council
513 7 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Arbiter concluded the main segment of her Council with a statement.

“All hearings have been heard. Concerns raised and resolutions met. I humbly thank you for your participation. It has always been optional. My heart radiates with thanks that I can now see the faces of the Beholders and their trusted aides.”

Her presence seemed to grow despite the fact that she didn’t move an inch. She was anchored in place by the weight of responsibility. The events of the Council were etched into the back of her mind. With no emotions to drive her into anger like Frost, she was able to monitor far more than just the declared motivations of the Beholders.

The subtle smile on her face affirmed this. There were nuances that only she knew. Her eyes never moved from the vacant center of the Council, and yet her gaze seemed to be equally spread between all.

Moreso on Galia, Jury and Satania – the Judge, Jury, and Executioner.

“My image of unity is imperfect. We are slaves to chains that may not be ours. But they are also what will keep us bound together. The Council is still not over until I recite the closing statement. For now, we are at the reflective finale. In my feathered grace will we listen to the Archetypes of the Nexus.”

Frost was lost in her purple prose to the point where its meaning was almost lost in translation.

To summarize, the Arbiter was content with how her Council played out. Her agenda of unity was fulfilled in her eyes. Sated, she invited the Archetypes to speak. Anna’s hand lifted off the book which had neared its end.

“I’ve written down everything that transpired over the course of the Council. Everything you have stated is recorded and will be held against you.” Anna recited.

“We are not excluded from their either.” Frost then added. “I don’t expect the Archetypes to see the world as I do. We are individual personalities seeking different goals. Where we align is that we call the Nexus home and that we aspire to Awaken our Floors. Civilization has been completed. What you saw was the fruition of our efforts. It’s unfortunate that destruction paved its path.”

“It may be inappropriate to say this out loud – but I offer a guarantee to the Beholders. Our magnificent Stars and low-orbing Moons!” Magus proclaimed, extending his arms. “An Awakening may incur further unpleasant instances as the last one. It is therefore our duty as a whole to prevent it from occurring again. However, should the need arise, then would it be fine to allow them to bare their fangs once more?”

Frost nodded. She wanted to vigorously nod, but she tamed the impulsion.

“Please. It should not be an expectation. It must be a duty. The Magician is right. If something were to happen to me again, then you have the authority to bring me back to my senses. Hence why I’ve put an emphasis on your conduct. I expect realistic changes. I can wait. But I’m not as patient as you may think. My vitriol will never end until this all ends. To you, I may be a threat greater than the Impuritas, but don’t forget that it was us who defended the Nexus while you were concerned about your Nex.”

“You are the biggest threat. To us, and the Impuritas.” Marionette hummed.

“Them wanting you gone is enough for me to acknowledge you as the Head of the Nexus.” Knalzark openly admitted. “My only doubt was whether you would acknowledge the dichotomy you present.”

“Some of us are openly against your interference. There is little they can do. Things must change. I’m ashamed it took this long.” Galia smugly remarked.

“If you did, then you wouldn’t have stopped at just Caldera Industries.” Umbra chuckled. “I’d love to chain that contour of yours with my seals, Amalgam. Asking to be restrained brings electric ripples to run through me. Mhmhm.”

Jury glared at the Demon. “That’s a vile inuendo you’re making. The Amalgam is not asking to be restrained. The last thing we should be worrying about is the Amalgam. She isn’t the one that crippled your chain of command.”

“Indeed. And that is disgusting, Umbra. The Amalgam is nothing like what you try to suppress.” Beholder E. spat at Umbra. “I don’t believe that an inherently evil being would take the healers under their wing. Time will tell. Our hands are tied. Things are still uncertain. But the future holds valuable prospects.”

“So it seems.” Descartes froze momentarily, fighting for reign over the Reality Principle against her other identities. She gasped at the side of her head and grumbled. “For whom is yet to be seen.”

“I’m just happy to be here.” Enoch gloated, brushing her hair aside.

“I had better places to be.” Satania growled, knocking on the table in boredom before she slumped over, resting her cheek on her palm. “… But I did get to see it in person finally.”

Her eyes hovered onto Frost with curiosity before she spoke again.

“How much do you remember?”

“Enough to know what went wrong.”

“What went wrong…” Satania repeated her words, chuckling into her palm.

Then, she deeply sighed.

“You have no idea. My time was short lived to begin with. Hardly anything noteworthy. If you’re curious, then I can spare my tale at an appropriate time. Secrets should be shared with friends.” Her eyes suddenly animated with a flash of flames as they fell onto the Arbiter. “Never with enemies.”

“I thought we were all friends here?” Enoch was absolutely not an airhead. She knew exactly the response she would receive upon making that remark and in an instant, many glares of utter contempt were aimed at her. “See?”

She has no filter. Or a sense of self preservation. I’m kind of impressed.

“Just like a certain someone I know.”

I have a filter. Unless I get emotional. About the self-preservation part… no comment.

“Can I ask something? What is the difference between that and bravery? The line seems so blurred to me.”

The lack of fear is just that. But I think bravery straddle the line of heroism and being afraid, yet despite it, you push on. Kinda like courage. Enoch strikes me as someone who has nothing left to lose.

“Is that how you perceive her? I believe that she has much to gain. I cannot describe it. Your interpretation is also valid. I’m left overclocking my circuits trying to comprehend these little nuances that seem so simple to you.”

Sorry. Don’t push yourself.

“Such as why you said sorry there when it was not your fault… I want to know too.”

Frost could only answer with a generic “It’s ok to not know.”

Nav didn’t speak afterwards. She was far too engrossed with her thoughts, frustrated at her inability to understand that not everything needed to have meaning. It was the curse of being a machine: the eternal fixation of purpose.

Frost went on to conclude that all five of her agendas were satisfied. She expected much worse from the Council. Thankfully, they were far more obedient now that they knew how much power the Amalgam held over them. The removal of the Blessing alone was a trump card.

They could only take her at face value. No one knew the consequences that would follow after its removal, and they absolutely did not want to be made an example of. If worse came to worse, then a Blessed would become a Corrupted.

This was her nuclear option.

Finally, the Arbiter clapped, and her tails receded. Only the glow of her eyes could be seen as the Council temporarily fell into total darkness. When the light returned through Frost’s one thousand golden eyes, the Arbiter recited her closing statement.

“I thank all members for participating. Now comes the conclusion of the 15th Annual Arbiter’s Council. I thank all Moons and Stars, the Exalted and our non-Blessed participant for bearing witness to our sacred gathering.

The curtains will fall, and the encore will follow before the closure of the year. Until then, you are all obligated to remain within reach until 351 PA. We don’t expect results immediately. It will be a gradual change. I will be watching. As will the Amalgam. Should one of you not appear in the next Council, then we can assume that you have fled the reach of the Amalgam. If that were to happen –

– Then we would have to assume that you have betrayed the Nexus. How else will you evade having your Blessing removed? I encourage you to digest your thoughts, hearts and plans thoroughly moving forward. We are members of the Nexus. It is what gives. If we can only take, then it will die. So I ask of you all to nurture it as the Stars do. Nex is one thing, but keeping impurities out is another.

A new era is upon us. Let us stand united as one just as our enemies are. It has been an eventful year. Far more than the years behind us. 351 PA will not stop and wait for us to adapt, and neither will our enemies.

… the 15th Arbiter’s Council had ended. You are dismissed. Please vacate my neutral grounds accordingly. I’d hate to see those pale floors coated in red.”

31