435. Revy, the First Aspiring Moon
432 7 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Frost, Sana, and Revy climbed the stars of the empty tower, eventually reaching the final floor. Once there, the world shifted as they were sent to the rooftops. Howling wings blew across the city, tangling their hairs as they were greeted by the sight of countless stars.

When the wind died down, and when the sound of only their heartbeats could be heard in this vacant place, Frost finally asked her the question.

“Revy. What do you aspire to become?”

“U-Um… Sorry?” Revy strutted, confused suddenly.

“Sorry. Let me word it better.” Frost then moved alone towards the edge where she watched over the city, her back turned to the girls. “What do you want to become? Is there a role or job you’re seeking? Something you want to do?”

“… Why do you ask…?” Revy wondered.

Why indeed? Frost wanted to turn her into a Moon before the Nexus could claim her. But she didn’t want to outright say this. Not before she knew what this girl wanted. She thought back to the others, hearing how they had integrated themselves into the Golden Index…

… all aside from her.

This is a world of forced choices. It’s the least I can do to break the cycle. Little by little, inch by inch, no matter how long or how much blood I have to shed… I want to make things better.

Frost became sentimental all of a sudden.

Ever since Stella mentioned her five-days of having her heart ripped from her chest over and over again, the scenery revolved in the back of her mind like a burning film. The cost of achieving something so small would inevitably break people down. Things had become like this as a result.

But it was a price Frost was willing to pay and bear with all her friends.

It was her price for the paradise she envisioned.

Then, she turned around, her being blending with the darkness of the night, but her eyes vivid like the stars themselves.

“Because I thought you looked lost.”

Those words caused Revy’s mouth to part, but she was unable to say anything. Only a stuttered gasp left her lips as she stared at Frost, her eyes now brimming with a light that no star could hold a candle to.

Revy wondered herself too. She was a Serum S survivor, but she wasn’t reliable or strong in the sense that she could help people like Frost. Her whole life was spent in misery as Demi-Human, but long ago there was a time when she was surrounded by the warmth of family.

And she knew better than anyone else how quickly all of that could be extinguished. Her mind briefly went to a dark place. The stars seemed to fade. But little by little, the longer she stared into Frost’s eyes, the more those stars returned as she remembered the people she now had.

The warmth of her family members could never be replaced. Nothing could be done to bring them back. But that didn’t mean that she had to stay in the dark and cold forever. She had found a new family of her own.

She dug deeper into her heart. Frost’s gaze manifested into a guiding hand that helped her navigate through the thorns of her past, digging into the root of her aspirations.

She was clumsy. She wasn’t good a cooking or cleaning. She couldn’t write down reports even if her life depended on it. Hosting card games was too hard. Talking to people was even harder.

But even so…

“I want to be someone reliable. Like them. Or… L-Like you.” She began, clutching onto her heart. “I want to be able to protect them. All of them. But I don’t want to be bound to the Golden Index, because I also…”

Her gaze then moved to the Nexus; the ultimate aspiration of all. It was the only thing that shone in her darkness nights, and on her brightest days. It was the second moon of the world, and remained by her side throughout all her life no matter where she looked in the sky.

If she could be someone like that for others…

… then wouldn’t it be nice?

“Then would you want to become a Moon of the Nexus?” Frost invited her, offering a hand to the girl. “You have the potential. Serum S would have guaranteed it. But I want to formally invite you.”

“M-Me!? Me…?” She was shocked beyond words, her knees buckling as her tail trembled. “I… I don’t… know what to say…”

“Take it.” Sana patted the girl’s back. “Take every opportunity you have. The world doesn’t wait for people like us. Unless you happen to know someone like Frost.”

“… is it really alright for me to become a Moon? I’m not even… that old yet.” Revy still couldn’t believe it.

So Frost asked her:

“How old do you think the triplets were when they became Moons? Age is not a factor that decides who becomes a Moon or not. I’m looking for people who can help me bring some light back into this world. You’re one of them.”

Revy held back her voice, approaching Frost as her body accepted the proposal. Her instincts were on fire, but not because she was afraid or was threatened. Rather, they burned because of excitement. Words failed to describe her impassioned gaze as she took Frost’s hand, and in the next moment –

 

< Do you wish to grant Revy your Blessing? >

< Yes | No >

 

< Confirm? >

 

“Congratulations, Revy. You’re the very first Moon I’m appointing. No matter what happens, I want you to remember that ok?”

 

< Granting Revy the Blessing of the Amalgam >

 

– Revy’s body was consumed by a flash of light. Particles of white and darkness floated from her body. It was brief. Unspectacular. But to Revy, it meant everything in the world. Her eyes widened as she looked to the stars, devouring it all with eager eyes.

 

< Revy has successfully been Blessed >

 

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she clutched onto Frost’s hand, unable to contain herself any longer. Frost had granted her the greatest gift of all. The girl nearly collapsed, barely able to hold herself upright.

And what finally caused her to break down and scream was Frost’s motherly embrace.

There was denial in her cries. Anguish for if she had this power then maybe things could have changed.

But there was also hope.

27