450. Graduation Party
380 6 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enthusiastic commotion broke out at the break of dawn. Every floor of Time Reverberation’s Head Quarters brimmed with a delightful ambience. The convivial atmosphere had only grown over the last few days, for today was a special day for them all.

Moon stumbled around. Those that weren’t hauling boxes and trays of goodies found themselves wandering the floors, confused by the event. They were aware that today was the graduation of the Candidate Moons, and the beginning of Time Reverberation’s operations.

But even so they couldn’t find it in them to understand why so many people were jubilant. Serum G was still deeply embedded into their systems, though it didn’t mean they couldn’t enjoy normal things.

Then, one by one, the hands of these unconfident Moons were taken by the healers. They smiled up at them, one whispering:

“Let’s go. Everyone’s waiting for us. That means you as well.”

Their hearts wrenched. It was the painful kind. And yet they embraced the sensation, smiling at the healers who tugged them along. There were few Moons, particularly those of the Hora Therapeutics, that were overjoyed, as if a switch had flipped inside of them.

The site of the celebration was within the heart of a botanical garden, where canopies hung over them as decorative light lit up the overgrowth like Christmas lights. Food and drinks were served on a large table beside a central fountain, where a statue of a giant black and white feather stood to symbolize the duality of Time Reverberation.

The hand that gave was the same one that took. Some interpreted it as the White Doves and the Black Wings. Or even the ‘Black Sheep’ that were the Moons of the Nexus.

In reality, it was just a reference to Frost and Jury.

Frost observed the celebration from an elevated balcony. She saw a part of her in the healers as they actively sought out to include the unsociable Moons. Ber strode around, enjoying the moment as she commanded a small team of Moon-chefs at an outdoor bar.

Res was also seen receiving people into the event, greeting them professionally as she took the occasion seriously. She was just like the other Moons, but small fragments of her childish self could be seen whenever a familiar face passed, or when she was thanked for something as simple as letting them come through.

Some of the Moons paused when they saw Res. A wave of guilt ate at them momentarily before they moved on. Res had been right about a lot of things, and they had dismissed her as crazy and labeled her as Jester alongside her sisters.

Res was indifferent to them. It was as if she didn’t notice their bodily behaviors at all. She never did look at people in the eye so easily now that Frost had a closer look at her. Even amongst Moons she kept her guard up.

In contrast, Cer went out dragging wandering Moon straight into the garden. Annoying wouldn’t even begin to describe her as she complained how she didn’t get a celebration when she became the Fang of the Head.

However…

“What are you gonna do, stand there absentmindedly all day? Get it together. You’re a free Moon. Who’re you orbiting besides the Amalgam?”

… Cer had a way with her words. Though it didn’t seem to get through to the Moons, Frost knew that one day they’d remember it fondly. As cheeky as the woman was, she had a good heart. At least for people brough up in unfortunate circumstances.

And that was putting it nicely.

Frost sighed.

Familiar faces surrounded her on the spacious platform. Nav wandered around behind her, stuffing her mouth with whatever she could get her hands on.

“So this is what shrimp tastes like.” She said with fascination woven in her monotone voice. “Anna. This is tasty. Eat.”

“Er… I used to be allergic to shellfish.” Anna politely refused, eyeing the half-eaten shrimp.

“It pairs well with a strawberry cupcake!” Nav added. In one hand she held shrimp, and in the other was a very familiar strawberry cupcake.

“Nav. That’s a bad combination.” Ignis spoke with vehement disapproval. “Blueberries go better with shellfish.”

“Bzzt?” Snap whined, curious by their culinary claims as it roamed around with black-strand healers on its back.

Indeed. Even the Black Wings were here to celebrate. Snap carried up to twenty at once, with possibly another dozen hidden beneath its fur. Heads could be seen peering out from its legs and sides like the portholes of a submarine.

“Yet you won’t let me get that close to you.” Frost sulked in silence.

“Oh. So you can make that kind of face? Ain’t that funny.” A voice spoke from right beside her.

A certain blonde-haired and red-eyed penguin-woman observed Nav’s behavior alongside Frost. They both stood by the wooden railings, overlooking the event.

“Ain’t never heard of an Atelier Item bestowin’ a person’s sense of taste. Gotta love how weird the wants of our hearts can get. It’s all a matter of whether you can love yourself unconditionally or not, hey?” Kissaria hummed, brushing the length of her long, white formal dress.

Then, she leaned over the edge of the balcony, howling:

“Whoooh~! First time I’ve been invited into a Workshop! If I had all this space, then who knows what the hell I’d be able to procure! Ain’t no way ImpulseWorks is gonna let me take a Site Core for myself. The gall on ya to call me up here into your castle then get me to repair your items. Had me thinkin’ that I was about to ascend!”

“Believe me, you’re on my list to make a Blessed.” Frost assured. She adored the way she spoke.

Kissaria gave her a toothy grin and wagged her finger around.

“Leave it to be natural. As much as I’d like to be up here, this ain’t my place. Penguins don’t fly, you know that right?” She tapped her red-tinted Artificer Goggles that sat cozily atop her head. “Got flippers, not wings.”

“I don’t see any flippers on you. You hardly look like an Aquatid, if I’m being perfectly honest.”

“Wait till you see me swim. But hell, that’s besides the point. Gah… All this empty space looks waitin’ to be filled. Look at you, Frost. Already up here with the giants.” She slapped Frost’s back, brushing her hand along the renewed feathers of her Coat of Prejudice. “Got one heart now instead of two. Your Nav friend looks like she’s been dying to get out.”

“Yeah. Nav’s earned it after putting up with us.” Frost jokingly said, fondly staring off at Nav.

Kissaria met her gaze, watching Nav attempt to communicate with the Star Child and the Little Frost, all the while the Big Frost stood around, nodding firmly with every symbol drawn.

Suddenly, Kissaria uttered something just before they turned back to Jury beneath them.

“A bird that’s been livin’ inside of a cage won’t know how to fly despite havin’ wings. Remember when I said that a machine can’t have a heart. I stand corrected.”

“But you were able to grab a piece of her heart.” Frost wondered what she meant by this, to which Kissaria responded cryptically with:

“Temper aspirations. So, when’s Jury going to let me pick her heart apart?”

“Maybe when things start to settle down.”

“That so? Remind me again on the kind of world this is? I stuck my neck out for ya by openin’ the Gates. At least let me take a look at hers.” She pointed over at Res.

“You know how those triplets react to Retrofitters. Imagine an Artificer.”

“Her loss~ She the jewel of the triplets. A bucket of seriousness no matter how you tip it. Ever wonder what she sees through those lenses?” With another tap on her goggles, she began walking away towards Nav.

“Is something the matter with Res’ Atelier Item?”

Kissaria answered without turning back.

“It’s functional. Didn’t notice anythin’ wrong from here. Atelier Items are reflections of the heart’s desires. It can also be the piece that makes you complete.” She motioned over at Nav to join her elsewhere to produce yet another cupcake now that it was already eaten. “Or becomes a chain that slowly kills you.”

“Implying that Res’ Atelier Item is killing her?” Frost didn’t see it this way. Then again, there was little she knew about Res’ Atelier Item aside from that it allowed her to amplify her electrical powers.

“Waddya want from me? Straight answers? I’m just passin’ off my observations. In short, keep an eye out for her.”

“I’m always watching.” Frost assured her, her eyes fixated on Res who noticed her gaze. She looked up, suddenly brimming with a childish smile as her ears flapped. “I’m more concerned about what happens if she falls out of my sight. Please check up on her too.”

“Give me a day or two. You’ve worn me out reparin’ all of your Corrupted Items. Still haven’t figured out how you damaged them like that again. This mechanical amalgamation right here is all wanna work on right now~!” Kissaria, now at an archway leading to another room with Nav by her side, admitted her ignorance to Frost’s Corruption.

“Yay.” Nav celebrated with a deadpan voice, her mouth stuffed with a giant loaf of bread.

It seemed that news of Frost’s Corruption had yet to spread. If it did, then she wondered how it would be taken by those outside of their inner circle.

She sighed and continued observing Res, seeing nothing out of the ordinary.

Even the color of her heart was the same. A pure, deep blue.

24