456. A Paintbrush in Disguise?
414 5 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Res’ cold demeanor was expected from none other than a Moon of the Nexus.

People still couldn’t believe that they were blessed by the presence of one. Outside of the Train Conductors and a small percentage of Atelier personnel, the vast majority had never seen a Moon before, let alone breathed the same air.

So Res’ silence wasn’t seen as awkward by anyone aside from the children. The worn arrogance to be expected of someone from the upper echelons. Speaking to Res was difficult enough for the guardians, but for a certain painter Res was but another child in his eyes.

They approached a major intersection where stores selling musical instruments and art supplies lined up on all sides. Giant storefronts with magical, cursive writing hovered above the multi-storied buildings.

Children were a rarity in these parts of the main city of H5, named Greenbirth as a homage to the rise of the Green Composer. The buildings in this particular area of Greenbirth saw structures made from cobblestone and wood, with an architecture predating that of the Nex Megalopolis.

This was because Greenbirth was built atop an old city that predated the Nex Megalopolis, as did several major cities that eventually became major hubs for each Sector. These stores sold old-aged musical instruments from a time mostly forgotten by the world, and with strings made from animal sinew and gut rather than with steel cords or Act X’s strings.

Abandoned storefronts were not uncommon to find here. Due to the semi-dilapidated nature of this place, not many went out of their way to shop here. The reason the children were brought here was to learn of this city’s bloody history. It was by tradition to use live animals as a means of creating music. The fresher the sinew and gut, the richer the tune was until animals themselves were made into instruments.

At some point, the Maestros of Flesh perverted it into using people as instruments for their diabolical symphonies; a perversion created by the Hearts of the Impuritas. It was without a doubt a major influence to the existence of the Maestros of Flesh, but as will all things –

“The picture isn’t so clear for my deranged enemies.” Ayel said aloud, leading the way with Res as they felt the presence of multiple eyes on them. “You have friends in high places. May I ask something, old friend?”

“It’s necessary with the sightings and reports of abnormalities occurring in this Sector.” Res already knew what he wanted to ask, speaking quickly. “You are only aware of the Maestros of Flesh. There are another nine known Impuritas Groups out there. We’re possibly dealing with the Fractured Nilhim, or who we used to call the Scourge.”

“I see. Your brushstrokes are quite clear.” Ayel said to himself, referring to her method of explanation. “Never heard of the other groups before. Mainly because we’ve been kept in captivity for so long. Being deprived of seeing the world outside my brick prison next to that bleeding lunatic did make for some interesting mental painting!”

Res’ tail no longer moved with her every step, instead becoming still like a downward lever was attached to her back. In Demi-Human kinesics, this meant frustration, anger or even confusion. With Moons it was always a coin toss because they could easily manipulate their body expressions.

But Res was also the kind of person who had shown cracks through her cold demeanor in the past.

“In a world like yours? In the Derma Layer? A brick prison would’ve been paradise.” She shrugged; her eyes focused on the uncrowded roads ahead.

Ayel didn’t respond immediately. Instead, he stared down at the wolfwoman. A look of confusion appeared on his canvas face, and a question mark was drawn before it was replaced with a pair of red eyes.

“Freedom is more valuable to me than choosing to shield my eyes and hide behind a canvas of facades.” He said, tapping his head to the stoic Res.

She didn’t seem to be listening at all, but that was far from the truth. Her ears piqued, because it was the only other sense that wasn’t affected by the CognitO Filters she desperately relied on.

“Freedom is the same thing that leads to tragedy.” Res argued. “Moons like us can’t save people as readily as normal people. Give us that freedom and we’re bound to hurt more than we can save.”

“You are here, though?”

“Because things are changing.” She didn’t deny it and was happy that things certainly were moving forward for the better.

However…

… but I’m not.

Res’ thoughts were suppressed. Even with Serum G out of the way, the CognitO Filters did their job and restrained her inner ego.

“The world doesn’t wait for its denizens, as I’ve come to realize.” Ayel suddenly spoke up, drifting away to the storefront of an art supplier.

There, he painted every color displayed on his head until it became an unrecognizable collage of splattered colors. It was messy, chaotic and had no semblance of meaning.

“I longed for people to see me for who I was. I was incredibly happy when the Amalgam allowed me to show the children what we stood for. When we showed them the stars they had never seen…”

The paint mixed into a concoction darker than black. In the reflection Res’ tail appeared like a giant paintbrush, and he drew it along his face as he then began to dot it with yellow stars, and colorful galaxies.

“… I knew right then that people shouldn’t be deprived of the world. Whether the ugly or beautiful. Because both colors make up this world.”

He transformed a putrid painting into one that caused the children to point out and gather around him, amazed by the picture of the night sky.

“The blind can ‘see’ this too. I sincerely hope you will be able to. It may be rich hearing this from someone so lowly like me and with but a fraction of your time in this world, but I cannot help but to lend a hand when I see a child in need.”

Res’ fists curled into a ball. Just as she was about to retort, the children came rushing to Ayel.

“You made Miss Wolf Moon’s tail into a paintbrush!” A child exclaimed as Res ignored them all, marching forward on her own.

But not without stopping to look at her own shadow.

“So that Miss Wolf Moon can paint her own world!”

“Does that mean she’s a painter!?”

Stella was allowed to reach and touch the tail of the painting, her mouth curving into a bright smile as she remembered the warm sensation she felt while in the Derma Layer.

“It’s so fluffy! I remember this!”

Curious, Res turned to look at the painting, seeing nothing of interest. To her, the painting was a monotone black and white, with only her tail being blue.

Because that was what the CognitO Filter told her.

Her eyes eventually fell back onto the world ahead.

Suddenly, her eyes widened as she spotted something in the corner of her vision.

A fluffy, white tail slithered into an alleyway, the tip flicking up and down as if beckoning her to follow.

And attached to that tail was a dark-skinned body wearing a white dress.

An utter slipped from her lips before she could even think.

“… Jury…?”

22