516. Die Agonsis of The Blood Moons’ State of Mind
341 4 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What… is this?

She was left utterly dumbfounded when she found herself viewing their collective memories. Branches of light originated from her body as they reached out to all corners of the world. At the end of the branches was a cracked window that revealed a piece of the source of their Nex.

“You’re angry. You’re violent. The Nexus has a need for your kind. But fighting Corrupted will only lead to your deaths. You’re all afraid of death, are you not?” A booming voice called.

It belonged to an Arachnid Red Giant, donned in the blood-red uniform of Scarlet Logic. The scene took place in a cramped room that could only be called a cell. Even the cell they were given now was considered a luxury compared to what they lived in.

Then, another fragment revealed a scene that took place within the depths of the Nest. It was where Frost had found the Nascent Pool. Multiple platforms containing crimson fluids filled the void as the same Arachnid Red Giant screamed from the safety of the outer rims.

Many Moons warry stood before the pools, each dressed in a simple white sacrificial robe.

“The Nexus drives Moons to their deaths by facing the Corrupted!” She bellowed. “With us you can never die again! The world has wrong us. Scarlet Logic allows us to take out this anger onto the world. The pent-up frustrations. The families you’ve watched die. Do you think they’d want you to join them in the mud!? No. They want you to redeem them. To shower this world in red! All you have to do is walk into the Nascent Pools. And from then on you will never have to think of the hardships. Our Queen will carry our burden!”

One by one, the Moons walked into the pool. The smart ones stood their ground, reconsidering it. However, at some point the longing to belong drove them into the pool. They walked towards the center, the crimson fluids reaching their ankles.

Soon, it swallowed their knees.

“I-I can’t…”

One Moon tried to pull themselves free but her legs would not budge. She peered down into the water only to find a thousand phantom hands grasping at her. Her heart sank as she sensed their silent wails. They did not restrain her to drag her in. In fact, they restrained her to prevent her from going any further.

However –

“Welcome to Scarlet Logic.”

 – A barrage of magical bullets bombarded the hesitant Blood Moons, causing them to surrender into the Naescent Fluids. Those that were able to resist were apprehended with the Unstable Capturer, forcing them to enter the Replication Cycle.

A series of applause filled the void. It was the same kind Frost had heard when she approached the Crimson Hunger’s Heart of the City. The haunting, taunting claps that marked the beginning of the Blood Moon’s hatred of everything.

The bodies of the Moons floated on the surface, their bodies riddled with bullets and the weapons of people they once trusted.

“Death will never do you apart. You no longer need to think about the unnecessary consequences. So long as you have the drive to persist then you can vent to your heart’s content.”

And slowly, the blood began to seep into their wounds, forever changing them.

“Become reborn. Forfeit the past. Be free from death! Wrath will be your strength! We are all family now! Serve Marduk and his Monarchs for they will lead you to becoming the most perfect iteration of ‘you’!”

The next several fragments showed the violence that followed soon after. Moons that stepped out of line were murdered indiscriminately. The violence never ceased even in their rest. They needed to be alert at all times as this was all part of their initiation processes.

Blades were stabbed into their backs as they slept in what little covers they were given. People they trusted snitched on them for the sake of approval of the Blood Giants and the Monarch they served. People who believed otherwise were severely punished on the spot.

The Blood Moons despaired over their unwanted mutations. They broke down after repeatedly fighting with their last iterations. Their sense of self was replaced with a collective thought. Those who were not insects had essentially become one.

Before long they found pleasure in committing the same acts on those beneath them. And from then on, they understood the true meaning of letting the world know their wrath.

The pillars of individuality were broken beyond repair. Frost found herself standing in the center of their collective woes, unable to process it entirely.

Because she too felt it.

Indeed. For some reason she was able to share their experiences within what she believed to be their state of mind. She didn’t understand why or how she was here. Where they on the brink of Corruption?

She didn’t know as she approached a red lake where the Moons sat, having lost their meaning of existence.

Die Agonsis is the cause of this, right?

“Unknown. It allows you to enter a person’s state of mind.”

That’s only before a person Corrupts. So how…?

Frost’s presence was not sensed by them. Her long shadow was cast over their eyes as they blankly stared into their own reflections. Within the water was their current, hideous self. The Blood Moons were seemingly aware of what they had done but were driven so far into the deep end that they could not stop out of fear of experiencing the agony of a thousand deaths.

“Perhaps a combination of Die Agnosis and Jury’s powers is the cause. But this is interesting. Because you are…”

She trudged through the Nascent Fluids and stood above them. It was true that things were ultimately their fault. But it was not because they wanted it. The Blood Moons were perpetrators that started as victims. They were part of a cycle they could not break.

Frost then crouched down to their level as she did in the physical world. Then, she reached out to cup the face of the nearest Moon.

“… Yes. You are in a situation where you can touch a core piece of them. You have the Abilities that enable this. But to begin with, you always were able to weaponize your words. But here… doesn’t it feel like you’re the White Rabbit?”

… Die Agonsis. ‘Determine their woes’. ‘Face their fears’. ‘Lend out your helping hand or bury them in despair’.

Frost stared intently into the eyes of the Moon as she arrived at the only logical conclusion.

 

* * *

 

Laughter filled the air of the prison. The Red Giants mocked the futile empathy of the Amalgam. Oh how Mimicry wished she could devour them. Carpalis only smiled as she stared at the back of Frost, her hand clutching onto her missing arm as she shut her eyes.

“… Is Frost ok?” Abigail asked.

“Fear not. Frost is a person who knows how to use her tools well. As emotional as she is, she knows to follow a compass when lost.” Carpalis assured, opening her eyes to find that Frost had risen. “Did you find what I meant, oh Amalgam?”

“I did. I understand now. I know who the real enemies are.” Frost spoke ominously with a voice of pure hatred as she turned her sights to the Red Giants. “Thank you Carpalis. But what you tell me now won’t be heard. I suggest you remove Abigail immediately.”

“Of course. Hehe.” Carpalis nodded, catching one last glimpse at the Blood Moons. “Well done. Empathy is your strong suit.”

What she saw in their dull eyes was a glimmer of light.

18