Chapter 62
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There’s not much real rest to be had. Lying in bed and staring at the ceiling is about all Zye has managed. He’s dozed in and out of sleep, yet it’s never fully claimed him. He knows he should be exhausted and it is easy to do so.

The thoughts, however, are still there. There are too many matters to think about. Too many to pick through and make sure he’s doing the right things. At least, as best that he can be.

He’s sure if he wasn’t, someone would say something. Much like Soren.

Part of him fights the entire time with himself. The part that wants, so badly, to go out and sit with Callua. To play games and pretend like things are okay for a moment. He knows it could help.

Respites are needed when he’s learning to walk in this world.

Still, he sits up and swings his legs over the edge of the bed. As he pulls his boots back on, he can feel it. Someone is trying to contact him.

A fact that shows he can block it. Undoing it is a bit tricker. Once he thinks hard enough about it, he can hear the soft monotone of Orion’s voice in his head.

“Get ready, I’ll be there shortly.”

Zye rolls his eyes. “Yeah, definitely don’t like hearing anyone in my head still.”

Standing up, he stretches his arms high until he can feel the pops and clicks of his joints. The slight shifting of the cricks slowly getting worked out never has felt better to him. A sigh later and he’s out the door.

He ambles down the short hall and into the living room where Adrian and Callua are seated on the couch talking. Hearing him coming, their conversation dies down and they look up to see him.

“What’s going on?”

Callua yawns and it has Zye wondering if she got any rest either. “Jace and Aster are with Celeste. I’m about to head out as well. Adrian and I have some worlds to check out before Aster meets up with us later.”

“What for?”

“The best battleground for our tussle against the poison queen herself.”

“Ah, be safe okay? Call if you need anyone.”

Callua slowly stands with Adrian following suit. His tail catches Zye’s attention as it flicks back and forth behind his legs. The realization that they haven’t really met hits him.

“Oh, and nice to meet you.”

Adrian grins and it has Zye thinking of a cat; sly and mischievous. “Same, actually. I’ve heard a lot about you from Callua.”

“Good things I hope?”

“Only. Well…maybe a few bad things but otherwise it wouldn’t be good gossip between best friends.” Adrian moves forward toward the couch, the very thing separating him from Zye.

“So, tell me your information, huh? Where were you born? How many partners? What kind of parents did you have? Oh and do you swing all sorts of ways, because if so would that include—”

Callua snags Adrian’s wrist and yanks him back toward a portal she’s opening. “Adrian, that’s enough. We have to go. Have fun, Zye! We’ll be back before you know it.”

Zye watches her shove Adrian through the portal and give a wave over her shoulder. Just as she’s disappearing into the swirling colors of a sunset, there’s a knock on the door.

“Let the fun begin,” he grumbles to himself. Zye heads over to open the door, not surprised when Orion is found standing there waiting patiently. “Welcome.”

“It’s a nice place.”

“I’ll let Jace know you think so.”

Orion gives the barest hints of a nod. “We should probably be in a larger area away from the house. Is there some place like that?”

“Yeah, follow me.”

It’s a quiet walk with Orion keeping a healthy distance between them. Zye leads them, as best he can, back to the area where Jace took him the first time. His eyes have to adjust to the darkness until finally, they make it out through the thicket.

The full moon is high above the water, reflecting down on the dark surface. Thick gray clouds continue to move out of the glare of the moon even as the wind dies down to a gentle caress.

Once they’re clear of both the trees but well away from the water, Orion puts some distance between them. He straightens his shoulders and meets Zye’s gaze. “I want you to let loose. We go until one of us can’t, understood?”

“That’s just as bad as what Hax does.”

Orion visibly bristles at that. A rather disgruntled look passes across his countenance. “This isn’t about him.”

“Isn’t it though? I’m the lucky one caught in the middle between you two. If you want, I can help you talk to him.”

“No.”

“You know…you’re either really nice or really cold. Can we find some middle ground? I’m trying my best here.”

“You’re a mortal. You wouldn’t understand that depth of what he’s done.”

The pretentious attitude has never been Zye’s favorite to deal with. He knows he, himself, can be an ass as well. And yet this always has him reacting the same way. There’s no way to catch it through a filter before it slips out.

“Fine. I don’t understand and never will. I’m small, frail, ignorant, and a bother. Happy?”

Orion lifts his hands. The absence of the gloves he always used to wear shows off the ringlets around his fingers. They begin to slow bit by bit.

“Summon your sword or you’ll get hurt.”

Realizing he doesn’t have much of a choice, Zye calls his sword into his left hand. He gives a single huff before deciding he’ll have to be the one to go on the offense despite what Orion said. This is his test after all.

There’s little planning that goes into his first sprint forward. Zye has never seen or truly sparred with Orion. He doesn’t count his minimal training with the man as such. This means he has to figure this out step by step. Something he knows he can do.

The second he’s close enough, he slashes down at Orion. The blade doesn’t get very far. Strings as sturdy as stone clash back. Even so, Zye puts a bit more pressure until he’s sure Orion won’t budge.

He hops back a few steps only to surge back in. This time he dashes through a rift. An attack to Orion’s left that the man easily parries. Back through another rift to come out behind Orion.

A sweep from top to bottom is knocked aside at the last second. The tip of the blade nearly buries into the ground before Zye changes the momentum. It swings straight back up.

Orion takes a single step away while wrapping his strings around the blade. It doesn’t stop Zye from swinging nor does it do any damage. Not until Orion tightens his grip and gives a yank to them.

Zye clasps his other hand to the hilt. With both hands, he yanks the sword backward. He hopes the slight angle will sever the strings Orion uses. Except it doesn’t, Orion merely lets go at the last second and he’s sent stumbling backward.

Huffing, he tries to quell the irritation that’s building up in him. He can’t get a single hit in. It’s as if Orion is a rock he can’t push no matter what he does. The man stepping aside doesn’t count as far as Zye is concerned.

A roll of his shoulders and he dashes forward once more. Halfway to Orion, he drops his sword through a portal. Even the punches he throws, Orion ducks and weaves around with ease. All to step aside as the blade stabs into the earth instead of his body.

Zye picks it up with a grumble of curses under his breath. Orion doesn’t respond to any of them. Instead, he draws his strings between his fingers. It reminds Zye of a girl in school that he knew. She could do all kinds of string tricks from making towers to spiderwebs and everything in between.

“You’ll have to try harder than that. Use more of your power. It doesn’t matter how coy you are if you can’t land a single hit.”

“I’m trying,” Zye growls back at him.

“You are not succeeding. Focus.”

“I am.”

He doesn’t fully understand what Orion means. It’d be easy if he had magic that was easier to comprehend like Jace’s fire or Callua’s water. No, he’s stuck with something that he doesn’t even know what the limit to it is.

There’s been no chance to ask Hax either. That man has been strangely silent as well as absent.

Zye rolls his shoulders and runs a few ideas through his head. Being creative is one of the few things that have gotten him through life. From overcoming bullies to getting through jobs. This is no different.

Sprinting forward, Zye calls a rift between them. He throws his sword through it the instant it manifests. At first, he’s not sure he can do it. Only when the second rift appears closer to him does he grin wide.

It worked. The time in between rifts can be cut shorter if he doesn’t let the object exit right away.

Zye sails through it and comes out behind Orion. The very man who is busy swatting away the sword that came at him from the other side.

He surely sees it coming, Zye can’t imagine that this is what catches him off guard. Yet, he’s able to slam the side of his body into Orion’s back.

Orion stumbles forward. He turns partly and although Zye reaches out to grab him, Orion can’t grasp that hand in time.

Orion’s feet slip out from underneath him. His back hits the ground with his head tilting to the side just in time to avoid Zye’s blade.

The very one he had knocked back up into the air. The one that Zye catches in time so that it doesn’t land anywhere other than where he wants it to be. It stabs into the earth, cutting at the end of Orion’s tresses ever so slightly.

Both hands clutch at the handle of his sword. Knees drop to the ground on either side of Orion’s waist as he dips his head down between raised arms. He glares at Orion. There’s so much pain in his eyes and Orion knows why, he knows all too well why it’s there. Even so, Zye tries to push it away.

He wants so badly to not look at the elephant in the room. All he has to do is concentrate on the task at hand. Don’t think about anything else.

“How…haa…was that?”

“Unimpressive. Sloppy. You were lucky. If you have something to actually say, say it. You’re not focused.”

“I know we weren’t together long. But it had to have meant something, right? Or do you actually hate my guts?” Zye huffs out between ragged breaths.

Arms splayed out to either side, Orion doesn’t dare move. He remains still so as not to make Zye flinch. Such a delicate thing he can be. Orion is starting to realize he played those strings far too much and now they'll snap one by one if he’s not careful.

He’s not sure if he can even repair them. Does he want to? Is it worth it?

Zye gives a defiant shake of his head. “Dammit! Answer me! We’re going to be around each other for a long time, at least be honest. Tell me if it’s even possible to work together.”

Orion meets his heated gaze. He can easily say yes. In fact, he’s sure Zye would eagerly eat up whatever tale he spins. But that sounds like too much work to some degree. Not that it matters, at this moment, he has to lie. He needs this whelp to know how deep his power runs.

“No.”

“What?” Zye squeaks out.

“I said no. For the most part, none of it mattered. Maybe if things had been different—”

“That—No!” Zye shoves away from his sword. It remains rooted in the ground as he grabs at the front of Orion’s shirt. “Stop being an ass! You don’t have to…I know I wasn’t perfect either but…don’t you want one, a friend? To be able to talk to someone?”

Lifting him partially up off the ground, Orion doesn’t bat an eye even then. It does bother him that Zye is so hurt over this. His intention was never to harm. But if it happens? He doesn’t play into the emotions. He’s always had too much to do. Too much to lose.

And that includes making sure this whelp is ready to harness a power he doesn’t understand.

“To keep everyone safe, I’m not sure if I can yet. My job requires I can’t give you an answer.”

Thud.

“That’s stupid.”

Orion hits the ground again. He’s surprised to the point where he doesn’t brace himself for the sudden drop. Zye flexes his fingers as he rises to his feet. He grabs his sword once more and pulls it out of the ground.

It feels as though his body weighs a ton. Is that really what it is? He has to respect that Orion might not want to mend the bridge because of duty?

Not every relationship can be fixed. He’s aware they didn’t get along for the most part. It wasn’t always sunshine and rainbows. Still…there were moments he recalls that were nice. He sees the way that Orion shows he cares. He knows there’s something in there.

Zye let his anger get the best of him in the beginning. The fear and anxiety wormed so deep that it kept him from getting too close. Afraid once more that everything he loved was ripped away because of something he’d done. And now he’s trying to cross the gap he helped create.

He’s merely unsure why Orion feels this way. Is it because Orion believes Kerse won’t make it? That the powers above will strip him or Celeste of their power? Or because if Kerse can’t be salvaged Zye will be upset?

Talking, not training, is what he craves the most right now. And he knows Orion won’t give it to him. But if Orion can push his buttons, he can do it right back.

“You were going to kill me if you had to. Is it because you wanted Hax back? Or was it to save me from being this? So that my mortal ass didn’t taint your precious ranks?”

“No mortal should have this duty— this responsibility. We were created for it specifically.”

“Why can’t you just answer the question?”

“Fine. I wanted Hax back.”

“And what were you going to do, huh? Tell him to never do that again? You know he would. Or were you actually going to listen to him?”

Orion slowly pushes himself up on his elbows. He doesn’t quite feel like daring to move yet. “Of course, he’s a fool for trying what he did. Look what it’s caused. Nothing but casualties and confusion.”

“You knew he had information!”

“And it wouldn’t have mattered. He’d have done what he wanted anyway. Any information he’s gained from his research doesn’t change our job.”

Zye whispers low under his breath as he steps away and gives Orion his back. Orion doesn’t catch it and for some reason, he dares to sit up and provoke it. “Hm?”

“God damn you!” he shouts as he spins back around. Sweat glistens on his eyebrows which are pinched tightly together. “I hate it. I’m not allowed to do anything. But you? You’re allowed to judge and do whatever you want for the sake of balance?”

Orion braces himself. He watches as the whites of Zye’s eyes begin to turn black while horns manifest, out from his forehead and curling backward. Orion watches carefully as the scene plays out before him.

“You don’t understand,” he replies, ready to push each and every button he can. Standing, he proceeds with caution even still.

“I don’t understand? That’s bullshit! He was your friend and you ignored him! You were both grieving, right? Who the hell gives up on someone after knowing what loss feels like?”

The dark horns begin to glimmer ever-so-slightly. They start to grow translucent as well as changing color. It continues until they’re glowing purple and blue wisp-like horns. Much like the flickers of a flame of a candle wick.

Drawing forth his strings, Orion digs his heels into the ground. He decides to continue being semi-honest while he has the chance. He knows the upcoming battle needs this— it needs Zye to be ready no matter what he has to do to give him this strength.

He’s fine being hated without reprieve. He can handle whatever must be done. After all, he only has one goal and that’s to help fix what’s been broken. No matter what it takes.

“I didn’t have a choice. I did what I had to do. A mortal wouldn’t understand.”

That’s all it takes.

Swirls of purple energy begin to appear all around Zye. They steadily grow larger yet remain still as he moves forward. He marches straight for Orion. The rifts glow and tremble as the tips of his blade begin to appear out of each and every one of them.

At least, until there’s a hand falling onto his shoulder, spinning him around.

Silver; the lightest shade that absorbs it all.

Yellow; bright and blinding, drawing all of the attention to it.

Zye relaxes upon seeing Jace before him. Fingers squeeze into his shoulder as Jace tugs him closer. Zye’s hands fall onto Jace’s arms. The sheer amount of energy flowing out and around him is making him dizzy now that his focus has been thwarted.

“Was provoking him worth it?”

Jace glances over at Orion. The Celestial relaxes his stance and dismisses his powers. It’s only a moment before a doorway back to Noctis springs up behind him. He glances off to the side before turning toward it.

“He needs to know what can trigger his full power. Was Charmilla’s training any different? We don’t need him acting out and being a liability.”

Jace bites back the memories. They really aren’t much different. When she taught him to let out more of his magic, she goaded him about his memories. Made him bring them back to the forefront of his mind and face them.

Made him angry. Made him hate. Made him want to drop into a pit and curl into himself until it all melted away.

Even if Charmilla put him through it, Jace doesn’t believe it was the necessary method. That thought has him steeling his gaze at Orion. “He won’t be.”

“Celeste will be by soon to follow up with him.”

Orion turns to move into the portal. “And Zye, you did well. Remember what that felt like. My apologies for upsetting you. I…won’t do it again intentionally.”

The second the pressure of him being near is gone, Zye drops to his knees. His hands slide down Jace’s arms. Jace grabs a hold of Zye’s fingertips, holding onto them as he squats down before Zye panting in an attempt to catch his breath.

“Is there anything I can do?”

Zye shakes his head, anything to keep from looking up at Jace. For some reason, he’s the one person who can read his body language and the expression he tries to keep off his face. He’s simply frustrated. Not to mention the magic that keeps thrumming at his fingers is so…strange.

The intensity is far greater than when he was facing Daichi. This time he’s in full control of it.

It has him feeling so comfortable and good despite the world wanting to tilt. Not much different than the warm sun on a spring day that has the slightest breeze to keep one cool.

“I don’t hate him, never really did,” are the first words that he dares to let out.

Jace huffs at this. He grabs at Zye and yanks him forward. It all relies on momentum and leverage. But Jace manages it just fine. If anything he’s glad he already took his coat off when he saw they were fighting.

On his back, Jace has successfully pulled Zye along with him. He smiles up at Zye who kneels between his legs. It’s not hard to see the melancholic anger clouding his glowing eyes. Nor is it difficult to figure out what has caused it.

“If you did, you wouldn’t be you.”

“I don’t hate Hax either. I feel sorry for him more than anything.”

“Because you’re too kind. Being angry can be a healthy response, too.”

“Except I don’t like it. It makes me want to hit something or scream.”

“Then do it. Preferably the scream, but I could spar with you if you’d rather.”

Zye suddenly grabs at the lapels of Jace’s shirt, head dipping down till it’s leaning against Jace’s chest. “They all did whatever they wanted and they didn’t care.” He swallows hard past the lump in his throat. “I hate that I care about what happens to them.”

There’s only one thing Jace can think to do. He wraps his arm around Zye’s shoulder with one hand against Zye’s nape. Words won’t make any difference. Sometimes they’re the very thing that can make it worse— propel someone into a spiraling turmoil deeper than the last.

Touch is all he can give at the moment.

At least, until Zye begins to let the power slip. It’s too exhausting to keep up that form and let out that much magic so freely. It all fades away, leaving him to how he looked prior; no horns, no glowing eyes, no nothing that makes him look inhuman.

“Jace…”

“Hm?”

“You’ve lost a lot to help me haven’t you?”

Jace chuckles. “I haven’t lost anything compared to what I got.”

Zye sits up out of Jace’s arms and glares down at him. Reaching out, Zye flicks at Jace’s stomach. “You know what I mean, stupid. Haa…Can you not be cheesy for one second?”

“Mm,” Jace begins to hum softly. “I’d rather not. After all, it makes you smile and I’d much rather you be doing that.”

A blush darkens at the corners of Zye’s eyes. He’s about to stand up and simply walk away. Yet Jace won’t let him go that easily.

He grabs at the bottom of Zye’s shirt and brings him back down. His hands come up just in time to cup at Zye’s face to make sure that their mouths meet together in a kiss.

Zye can’t resist. He melts against Jace so easily. The kiss is soft and warm and full of tenderness. If he could stay in this moment forever he would. Simply allowing Jace to shower him with love. Instead, he’s forced out of it when Jace pushes him away just enough. Their noses brush together even still.

Zye wishes he could tell this man what he does to him. Every place their skin touches has him wanting to burst. It dares to drag his mind along the sliver of a line between wanting to lie in those arms or slip his hands up beneath Jace’s shirt.

As he stares down at Jace, it hits him. Did he ever tell him how much he likes him? It’s something his mother would always ingrain into him— be vocal about it for one never knows when they won’t see that person again. Often and loud. And yet here he is slack-jawed and suddenly speechless at the fact that he hasn’t.

Not as much as he should.

Not with the depth to the words that they deserve.

Not when he’s lost something only to realize how much it meant from the start.

“Hey, Jay?”

Slowly, Jace sits up. He leans on one hand while balancing the other on Zye’s thigh. His thumb rubs small circles against the material.

Somehow, Jace can see the emotion swirling in that gaze and he doesn’t want to chance it. Not yet, he wants something to look forward to— to keep fighting for. They don’t have to say it yet. At least, not like this and not here.

“Tell me later, when we get through this. For now, I know how much I mean to you.”

“Do you? Because I don’t think I’ve been good at telling you.”

“How about instead you take my hand and together we’ll get through this. Then we can have all the time we need to figure us out.”

Zye scoffs at that. He places his hand atop the palm holding out to him. “You make it really hard to doubt this will work.”

“We’ll be fine. We have a plan.”

“I don’t know. I’ve punched my way out of a few sticky situations but never anything like this.”

Jace tugs his hand away and wraps his arms around Zye’s waist. How he wishes they had a moment of reprieve to enjoy each other’s company. He can already feel the prickle of a message. It tells him he doesn’t have long.

“Then do what you always do. Protect us, but don’t put yourself in danger.” Jace smiles and lets his nose rub against Zye’s.

“Right back at you.”

“I can’t promise that, but I won’t die.”

Zye stares hard into that silver gaze. “Fine. I believe you. Swear it won’t be all work when this is over, right?”

“Is that a deal breaker?”

“No. I…well…when you live your whole life afraid to die, you kinda miss out on living. I want to make memories with you and Cal. Make up for lost time. Not work my ass to the bone with no payout.”

Jace leans forward. His forehead rests against Zye’s shoulder as he lets out a happy sigh. “How can I say no to that?” he asks softly.

Zye’s sitting up straight right as another voice joins the conversation.

“I’m not interrupting am I? If so, I don’t mind waiting until later.”

Zye lightly punches Jace’s shoulder and stands. Zye knows damn well from the smile on his face that he knew about Celeste coming.

“No, we’re good.”

“Then let’s pick up where Orion left off. Will you be joining us, Jace?”

Standing, Jace brushes some grass from his pants. “No. I need to check in with Ilista and meet up with Cal about a potential spot.”

“We won’t keep you then. I’m not sure how long we’ll take, but if you need either of us, say the word.”

Jace nods and calls forth a portal. Zye tries not to glance at the way the energy tears through the air before vanishing as if it was never there to begin with. Instead, he gives Celeste his full attention.

It’s only then that he realizes they’re dressed differently. Celeste dons a rather modest outfit of dark pants spilling over matching slip-ons. Their high-collared off-white top is a bit shy of reaching the waistband of their pants.

Pink bangs shift as they tilt their head up at Zye. A small, knowing smile curls the corners of their lips. “He ruffled your feathers didn’t he?”

Standing, Zye scoffs a reply, “You think?”

“I know he doesn’t mean any ill will toward you, if nothing else. He mentioned an attempt at stoking your emotions in hopes of repeating your ability to let all of your power out. I take it, it worked?”

“Peachy. So now what?”

“Now, I’m here to tell you that it’s not great to rely on such a method. It might save you in a situation where you don’t know how to use your skills, but not in a serious fight.”

“I’m not stupid, he could have said that in the first place. To use the magic without someone pushing my buttons. What was the point in pissing me off to do it?”

Celeste hums, a finger tapping against their chin. “Perhaps to blow off some steam?”

“Well, I don’t feel better afterward.”

“Then let us begin. Now that you know how it feels, we’ll try to keep tapping into that. I’ll be right here the entire time.”

Moving toward Zye, they maneuver him into a comfortable stance. Chin level, shoulders back, and one hand cupped over the fist of another before his chest. Once they’ve done so, they proceed to slowly walk circles around him.

Despite how tired he felt the instant he let go of that higher form, he feels better to some degree. At least, he doesn’t worry about collapsing.

“Remember to stay calm even though this won’t be a normal fight. If all goes well, you’ll be backup along with Callua to keep her distracted. The three of us should be able to handle the rest.”

“Then why the caution?” questions Zye while he slowly closes his eyes. It makes it easier to focus on the calm tone of Celeste’s voice. All while imagining the power he felt moments before and being able to call upon it at will.

“Because while we might have the upper hand, the two of you are good trump cards. Your ability to get someone out of a sticky situation and Callua’s healing will be helpful.”

Celeste comes to the front of him, slowing to briefly touch his hands. The horns are beginning to manifest— dark, long, and curling backward along his head before giving a flick of a tip at the end.

“Very good, keep it up.”

“Then can you keep talking?”

“If it’s helping, then of course.”

Celeste steps back a few feet before squatting down before him. They hug their arms around their knees.

“I agree with you, to start. I believe we can help Kerse and not condemn her to the same fate as the two who should have been looking out for her. I’m worried it won’t go the way I want. If only because I don’t want to fail Charmilla by not saving Kerse.”

“That’s heavy for you to carry, don’t you think?”

“Are you no different? How many of the dead do you carry on your back? How many dreams and wills of others do you strive to protect?”

Zye wants to answer her. He knows she’s right. And yet he’s distracted by the realization that his body feels so warm. A pleasant hum of magic beneath his skin. It makes him feel alive for the first time in a long while. As if he’s gotten the best news and the crash from the joy will be right around the corner.

A steady breath leaves his lips. An even calmer and shallow one he inhales through his nose.

“I’ll help you help her.”

“If I may, why do you care so much? You barely know us, Zye.”

He opens his eyes, revealing a deep darkness around a steady purple and blue gaze. Turning his attention down to Celeste, he tries to form the right words. The last thing he wants to do is act holier than thou or that he knows better when they’ve been doing this for far longer.

“In some way…I don’t think I’m much different. If I didn’t have all of you, even Orion, I could have ended up somewhere like that. Soren whispering into your ear isn’t going to lead you to good things.”

Holding out his arm, Zye draws a circle in the air with his finger and the magic responds. It was a guess— a chance— and it works. Finishing the motion, he reaches his hand in and pulls his sword out instead of merely summoning it.

Celeste tilts their head at the display, watching attentively as he does. “Then what you’re saying is, any of us could have been her.”

The rift begins to close. Staring down at the dark metal of his blade, he nods. “There were so many times I could have used a hand instead of someone turning their back. And sometimes, I turned my back on that hand reaching for me.”

“Are we making up for regrets?”

Zye laughs at that, bitter and hollow. “Sure. I’ve got a few of those to line up with everyone else’s.”

“Then we’d better do well,” they begin as they rise to their feet. Celeste puts some distance between them. “Tell me, if there’s one thing I can do for you, what would it be?”

Zye moves his sword to the middle of his body. He clasps his other hand above the first one. “Don’t hold back completely.”

Celeste raises a brow as they summon their weapons. Zye watches as two hand fans appear in their grasp. He’s seen them before on Earth. They could be some of the most beautiful trinkets. Except Celeste’s have sharp, bladed teeth lacing across the tops of them.

He almost wants to ask if he can see them up close. From this far away he can barely make out the scenery that’s painted on them. It appears to be a light, pastel blue with a moon at the center and clouds along the bottom edges.

Celeste moves into a defensive stance, drawing the fans up close to their body. “And why’s that? You could get hurt.”

“I patch up fine,” he replies simply.

All while dropping his sword into a rift. He’s happy that he can hold it in there. Not having to call forth the other end of the rift is going to be both tricky and helpful.

“It seems you’ve found some conviction. One spar. If any overpowering emotion bleeds through, you lose. Even frustration will tip the flow of your magic. A flow I can feel and see.”

Zye recalls the rift to the side of Celeste while he dashes forward. Naturally, they dodge with a half-twirl to the side. Zye scoops up the blade and swings it in a low arc. They parry before continuing to move.

Where Orion was a rock and Ilista a hurricane of power, Celeste is agile and slippery. It’s harder to land a hit on them than anyone else he’s been around. Even with his rifts, Celeste weaves and dodges around each hit.

Each time they do, they give light taps and shoves to him— back, arms, stomach, legs. As if to say, they can get out unscathed and still could land a hit if they wanted to. Not that it deters Zye in the slightest.

This frustration is different from when Orion was here. It doesn’t dare tip his emotions over the edge. If nothing else, it encourages him to keep trying different things. The only thing he doesn’t dare attempt is coming up out of a rift. From above, Celeste still manages to dodge while scraping the metal of her fans along his blade.

Sparks fly as they separate. A brief moment before Zye is sailing back toward her with grass kicked up behind him. As he swings his sword, missing them once more, he lets it leave his grasp. It slings into a rift, rendering him weaponless once more.

Celeste takes that as their chance to begin swiping at him with their fans. It’s an elegant dance in the way they flick their wrists and step toward him. All he can do is knock his palm against one arm and then grab for the other. The turn he makes them perform places Zye at their back.

Immediately, he steps into a rift and comes out to their left. The sword is clasped in his hands as he swings it at their middle. Watching them dodge, Zye lets go with one hand. He reaches out, attempting to knock Celeste away as they get close.

There’s no way to bat the wry form away fast enough. The next thing he knows Celeste has dashed up under his arms and taps the dull side of her bladed fan to his chest.

A smile is all he can see at the end of long, pink bangs. “Why don’t we take a break, hm? You’ve held that form long enough.”

Both of their weapons dissipate as they separate. Celeste is the first to take a seat on the grass, looking out over the water. Zye follows their lead, drawing his knees up and draping his arms over them. Celeste, however, is too busy running their hands over the grass with legs loosely crossed.

“You did well.”

“Thanks.”

“I mean it. You kept up just fine. I imagine that you’ve come a long way seeing as you’ve surely never used a sword before.”

Zye chuckles at that, “Not once.” He glances over at them. “Actually, I have a question. Why don’t you all get anything? Infernals and Dark Stars have magic.”

“Ah. Well, we do have our own gifts. If you don’t recall, while bonded to Orion you had an affinity for speed. That is like mine as well. Although, as a Celestial, my boon is far greater in capacity than a mere Star.”

“But still no magic. Seems like the short end of the stick sometimes.”

“I also have a passive, like a few rare Stars. I can use my weapons to heal by swirling the waters in certain patterns. I can speed them up, concentrate them in specific areas, or spread the water out over the entire body to heal.”

Zye hums at that bit of information. It makes sense why he was always requested to be in Celeste’s room and in the water. It works a lot differently than he imagines Callua’s magic does.

“You don’t have to answer if it’s something you don’t want to talk about, but you were created and didn’t live a life, right?”

“Correct.” Celeste’s hands sweep over the grass one last time before leaning back on their palms. “This is all we have ever known. We did have some time to ourselves before we began taking care of souls. A learning period if you were.”

Zye glances over at them. He can’t imagine simply being without anything leading up to it. No childhood and no parents. It’s strange, yet it makes sense that each of them seems a bit closed off in some way. He waits patiently at the sight of their head slightly tilting from side to side as if they’re listening to music.

“We took it quite seriously. It’s an honor to protect souls, as we were told. I won’t lie when I say I was curious. Still, our jobs were our pride and we did those first and foremost. It left little room for exploration. Well…for some of us. What else did you want to know?”

“Meaning you still have a soul even though you didn’t live normally?”

Celeste nods softly. “In this state, we are souls. Your body as well as mine are made up of that light. I am of the light of the moon. You are of the sun. Together, we both fight back against the shadows people create.”

“The Nether.”

“Correct.”

Zye watches as Celeste begins to stand, stretching and walking a bit away from him. “Jace told me all kinds of creatures exist. In my world, there was always talk of strange creatures or ghosts or demons.”

Celeste half-turns back to him for a moment. “I’m sure they’re all real to some extent. However, I wouldn’t know much. The only thing we have to worry about are the Nether.”

For a moment, there’s only silence. A comfortable dose that has Zye able to recall what he truly wants to ask. There’s so much that he doesn’t know.

“Is there a way to connect Solis and Noctis? I heard you all used to team up before.”

“Mm, it was once to a minor degree.”

“So we can connect them?”

Celeste smiles wide. “We could. Yes. I would be willing to vote yes with you.”

“What about information? Is there an archive of some kind? Hax’s research should be gone through. If anyone does this, they deserve to know as much as they want to.”

“There’s not, no. Everything has been word of mouth and whatever instructions were left with the soul when they were reborn here with us. You more than likely didn’t have that considering the circumstances.” A sigh slips from their lips. “It would be nice to have documentation of the worlds we oversee. I can’t visit them all, but I’d love to read about them.”

“Then we should do it.”

The simple statement has Celeste spinning back around with their hands clapping together. “Does that mean you plan to stay with us?”

“I, uh, yeah. I got this chance, I shouldn’t waste it.”

“Very wise words. That means I have time to ask you all of my questions.”

Zye laughs while rising to his feet. He brushes off the grass from his clothes. “Better yet, why don’t I take you there one day?”

“You’d do that? I don’t think I’ve been to a world for leisure in…a very long time.”

“Then we’ll do it.”

He holds out his hand, pinky finger extended toward her. Celeste moves forward, head cocked to the side. “What is this?”

“Oh, uh, I forgot you—”

“I can see your form just fine. Although…I’m not sure what you actually look like.” Celeste chuckles. “You’re a tall visage of energy. Lavender is the color. The finger, what is that for?”

“A promise.” He reaches out and takes Celeste’s hands. They allow him to maneuver their small finger against his. “It’s a pact to do it and I won’t break it.”

Celeste squeezes her finger around his. “Then I want to take you to a place I know, too.”

“I look forward to it.”

0