Chapter 61
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Groaning as consciousness slowly returns to him, Zye rolls over toward what nudged his leg. The first thing that crosses his mind is that he didn’t see Hax whatsoever. Not that he minds. Waking up to Jace putting his boots on is a much better sight.

“What’s the rush?”

“Callua needs us. There are at least half a dozen Nether and she’s the only one that can fight. Adrian is apparently useless.”

Zye practically slings himself off the bed and hurries to get dressed. He stumbles as he yanks the clothes back onto his body. “Why did she go alone?”

“She’s not. Adrian is there.”

“You just said— She basically is! Hurry and open the damn portal.”

Clipping the belt taut around his torso, he drags his hands up through his hair. All in a desperate attempt to get the tresses going in the right direction. Jace glances at him before clipping the cloak over his shoulders and doing as he’s told.

“I hope you’re up for another fight.”

Zye grins at him as he walks by, lightly punching Jace’s shoulder. “Can’t leave our girl to fend for herself. Let’s go.”

An attempt at growing his confidence with this ‘job’ is far easier when he knows someone needs him. Someone that he’ll fight tooth and nail for.

He steps through to the other side to see exactly what has Callua so worked up. There are at least three large Nether— beastly ones that’ll surely give them trouble. The only thing he can compare them to are crabs that have a series of short wings to the edges of their shells. It seemingly hides the weaker point where the shell adheres together.

The less concerning foes are the two mist-like Nether that float through the area after a young man with brown tresses framing his face. His tail flicks furiously behind him as he runs the opposite way from where Zye is.

Going after the beastly Nether that begins chasing after him, Zye shoots Jace a look. There’s a pat on his arm before Jace is off to one of the others harassing their friend. Callua is doing well in shooing the mists away when Adrian shrieks.

A sound that chills Zye to the bone. Even with a rift, he’s not sure he can make it there in time. There are too many things in the way— old-fashioned trucks and cars, lamp posts glowing brightly in the night, as well as decorations for what can only be a holiday for these people.

From a portal beside Adrian, comes Aster. He’s one step out and already punching at the Nether. It skitters back from the sheer force behind the punch. Aster flashes Adrian a smile as he cups a hand to the Dark Star’s shoulder. “I told you I’d— what are you three doing here?”

“Uh, just got here, too.”

“Focus, you two!” Callua calls out to them, seeing that they aren’t fighting back, they’re talking.

Zye figures that Aster has that one handled. He creates a rift to step into and appear in front of Callua. The sharp blade of his sword clangs and scrapes across the shell of the Nether that had lunged at her. Shoving it back with all of the strength he can muster, he huffs.

“The fuck is with these?”

“It’s a shell, stupid. Arms, legs, wings, and then we can cleanse it.”

Callua bends down and rolls her orb across the ground. It heads straight for the Nether and underneath the center of it. The second it’s beneath it, the orb bursts like a balloon. Water is scattered across the ground under it.

As she does this, she tries to position herself between Zye and Jace. That way the mist-like Nether begin to hover over to where Aster is waiting for them. Especially since behind Callua, Jace is setting fire to the legs of the one he’s dealing with.

Zye waits patiently for the Nether to slip over the water. The pincer it raises, in an attempt to hit him, is swiftly; cut off at the bend where the ‘shell’ doesn’t cover. He continues to do as Callua instructs. Never once missing a beat lest it get a shot at him.

He takes out the other pincer as she gathers her magic to form another orb of water. Huffing, she throws it around Zye and into the beady little eyes that look at him. Stunned for a moment, Zye dips down low and sweeps his sword through its legs.

The Nether collapses to the ground with small wings flapping angrily. Zye lifts his sword and sidesteps when Callua touches his arm. He dismisses his weapon and takes hers. She makes a motion that he understands all too well.

It’s cool to the touch. Even though it’s solid, it still leaves his fingertips slick with water. Not that it stops him from jumping on top of the Nether’s shell and slamming the hard orb down onto it.

A small hairline crack begins to form. Evident only by how the blue veins seem to dip inward, showing the insides of the Nether.

Bright cerulean that glows brightly.

Zye calls his sword back into his hand, grips it with both hands and thrusts it down into the space he’s created. It allows his blade to sink into the Nether like warm butter. The second he does, the entity begins to disintegrate.

He hops down and glances around while Callua retrieves her orb. Aster is handling his just fine. The two Rank Fours are gone with the crab he’s dealing with on its last legs. The shell in particular is cracked all over. It’s only a matter of time before Aster has it cleansed.

Callua is nice and safe behind him. Jace, who is behind her, is finishing up the final Nether. He kicks the Nether away and Zye takes the opportunity.

“Jace, sword!”

Creating a rift, Zye drops his sword into it so that it comes out above Jace. He sees it coming, steps aside and grabs the hilt. His other hand comes up briefly to set fire to the blade. All before he swings it out, slashing perfectly through the pincers that raise up and into the split where the shell comes together with a single blue line all the way around.

Zye dismisses his sword and makes sure they’re both okay. Once he is, he moves over to where Aster and Adrian are. He’s halfway to them when he feels it. A ripple of pressure that makes the back of his head itch and his fingers twitch at his sides.

Instincts beg him not to listen. Curiosity has him obeying the need to slip around the backside of a large vehicle. He pays it no mind and doesn’t care in the slightest to indulge in the sights of his new world. All he can see is the building that was obscured behind it and the way it seems so dark.

As if a veil has been draped over the front of the store. The closer he gets, the better he can see it. He knows he’ll have to ask one day if this is a normal sight for their kind. The child in him would be scared to death to see tendrils of black crawling up the walls and around the sides. Some even seem to pierce through the building to go inside.

It seems wrong in every way.

Reaching out his hand, Zye places his palm on the ice-cold glass of the front window. He can see the small toys and knick-knacks on display. It’s terrible that this place has such a terrible vibe when it shouldn’t.

Something in him tells him to try. He wants to chalk it up to Hax’s influence. In reality, he’s not so sure. All he knows is he takes a deep breath and channels his energy— his light— into the building no different than he had that Nether from before.

It saps his energy just as quickly and yet he refuses to stop. Not when he can see the tendrils writhing and squirming— hating what he’s doing.

Absorb the dark, fill with light.

He knows it’s dangerous, taking this energy on. Yet the way the building begins to be left alone by this darkness, it’s all he needs. It strengthens his resolve. Even so, it’s exhausting.

Zye’s fingers slide down the wall, he can’t keep himself up as the energy seems to drain out of him. Yet there’s something deep inside that applauds him and reassures him it was well worth the effort. All he can think about, as his knees hit the ground, is that he needs to get somewhere safe and rest.

Callua is immediately by his side with her hand on his shoulder. “Zye, are you going to be alright? What did you…do?”

Her words fall upon deaf ears, even to her own. She looks around and can visibly see the difference. It’s as though she’s looking upon the small store for the first time— truly seeing it. Callua glances down at Zye and quickly takes a step back.

She hadn’t seen them at first and doesn’t want to see them now. It reminds her of the responsibility resting upon his shoulders.

Breathing heavily, Zye manages to push himself to his feet once more. He braces himself against the wall while raising a brow at the concerned look on her countenance, “Cal?”

Striding up beside them, Jace gives a small shake of his head. He crosses his arms as he nods toward the storefront, “Maybe you should take a look.”

Zye hesitates but only for a moment as Callua bites at her bottom lip. She’s worried about what this could mean— low energy and he needs to recover it. From the look she gets from Jace, so does he. Neither of them knows how long or how consistently an Infernal can hold that form. The only ones that don’t are Aster and Adrian as they get closer to them.

He gives a huff as he turns around, allowing the sharp light from the street lamp to illuminate just what is wrong. Zye reaches out and glides his fingers over the smooth glass. He’s never seen what this looks like. There were no mirrors when he fought Daichi.

The whites of his eyes aren’t the most shocking part. They may be dark now, but the concerning features are the horns coming from above them and curling up toward the back of his head. His left hand reaches up to touch the respective horn and nearly loses his cool at the realization that they’re definitely there.

In the reflection of the window, he can see Callua’s eyes widen and Jace spin around. They’re all on edge and he doesn’t realize why until he hears it.

“Well now, this is quite the stroke of luck. I had thought you’d bit the dust. I actually thought Jace was lying to me...again.”

Zye spins around, glaring at the newcomer as well as hating the nausea that washes over him. “Who the hell are you?”

There, behind Aster and Adrian stands a woman he’s only seen in his “dreams”. She moves forward and it has Aster grabbing Adrian’s upper arm. He yanks him to the side and well out of her way.

“Ah, I forgot. You’re not really Hax, you just inherited what was his. But I guess if he is still in there somewhere, let me say hi.”

She gives a small wave of her hand clad in a black fingerless glove. Her washed-out crimson coat billows about her mid-thighs while her black mini-skirt hugs them as she makes her way toward Zye.

To him, she looks just as normal as Orion or Jace had during their first encounter. Such modern clothing and yet he knows he shouldn’t be fooled.

He doesn’t expect Jace to let her walk up to him. There has to be a reason why his eyes are glancing elsewhere while Callua seems to be internally panicking.

Ruby eyes pierce straight through him as she comes to a stop, the toes of their shoes nearly touching. Her short white hair barely manages to part around her eyes while the bottom tresses, seemingly fading to black, are bound to the sides of her face.

She’s not very tall yet the aura around her is enough to make it as though she looks down upon Zye. It doesn’t help that the armor on her fingers clink together with the slightest movement.

Zye tries not to falter no matter how fatigued he is. “I asked who you are.”

“I guess you can call me Kerse. But remember, I rank above you. Now… tell me what my new brother’s name is. You’re an Infernal, too, so we’re practically family.”

He’s about to question her further when he suddenly decides it doesn’t matter. There’s an inkling in his gut that demands he get as far away from her as possible. This is exactly what he plans to do until her palm slaps against his chest, pushing him up against the store’s window.

“Don’t be rude.”

From the side, Jace speaks again. “His name is Zye.”

“I didn’t ask you,” she spits back with a glare. Her expression changes on a dime as she turns back to Zye. “Are you ready to go home?”

Callua won’t be having that. She’s about to storm over when Aster is suddenly by her side, putting his arm out in front of her. “What are you doing?” she hisses at him.

The confusion on her face doesn’t phase Jace at all, he merely gives her a warning glance for what to do next. Zye, however, is busy shoving Kerse away and taking a deep breath through his nose.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about and don’t want to.” He manages to get past her but only by a single step.

Her grip tightens on his wrist, squeezing hard enough for him to grimace. “I’m impressed you can still stand much less put on the bravado. Guess you’re not a total weakling.”

Zye turns slightly and suddenly he knows they’ve stepped into a trap. Gone is the playful smile on her red lips and to replace it is a smirk. Matching eyes seem far brighter now that her sclera are as black as the thick horns wrapping around the sides of her head.

“You haven’t tapped into the power inside of you, not completely. But I’ll applaud you for managing to cleanse this place.” Her eyes seemingly darken. “Not that it will do anyone any good.”

“Drop!”

Squatting down, Zye dodges Callua’s weapon which sails right over his head. Kerse sees this coming and yet she only manages to swat at it. The orb bursts and sends a large spray of water onto her person. Zye doesn’t get away without a drop touching him, the water soaking his hair and dampening his shoulders.

He does manage to slip from Kerse’s grasp.

Claws rake through the air in an attempt to grab him. Except Jace is between them and grabbing her wrist with fire curling along his fingers. The flames singe and begin to burn into her coat.

No words need to be said. Aster is flanking her while Callua runs past them. She grabs Zye’s wrist and yanks him toward where Adrian is huddled next to a lamppost. Beside him, a portal opens.

Zye is more than happy to see Ilista dash out to where Jace and Aster are keeping Kerse busy. Xerxes remains behind to give a couple of shots following Ilista. The only problem is that Zye doesn’t have a chance to look back. His first priority, as his visage returns to normal, is the three people who aren’t close-range fighters.

Especially when he sees a glint on the rooftop of the shop overlooking Adrian and Xerxes. Callua squeezes his wrist, seeing the same thing, and neither of them can do anything. It’s too quick.

The dagger sails down and slices across Xerxes’s shoulder. He flinches before spinning around, sending a slew of shots up to where a figure drops down. Zye summons his sword and conjures a rift.

“Xerxes, shoot!”

The young man does as he’s told. The blasts of energy he shoots at the newcomer has the lithe man dodging. It’s almost as if he’s dancing through the barrage. All until Zye is in front of him.

The bullets stop to allow Zye to swing his sword down at the man. Not wanting to take the hit, he double steps backward. While it places his back to the wall, the man doesn’t seem phased. He merely grumbles.

“This is ridiculous.”

“Not nice to talk about yourself like that. Who are you?”

“Oh, aren’t you fun? You can call me Ren until we’re more acquainted.”

He teases his fingers along a pack that’s attached to one of the two belts crisscrossing off his hips. Zye can’t see much considering a knee-length, dark blue coat drapes over most of his attire. Regardless, he doesn’t look like much. Thin and pale, he shows no skin save for a peak of his neck and face.

A white button-up shirt is over a high-neck darker shirt. All tucked into high-waisted pants of a washed-out blue. Even then, those are tucked into brown boots that come halfway up to his knees. A pendant, that looks like a sun, is the only splash of color.

The gold of it matches his eyes, contrasting with the dark circles beneath them. The bangs that frame in his face above his ears shift as he switches weight from one foot to the other.

“I think I’d rather dance with the small and cute one behind you.”

“Too bad. He’s off-limits. Callua, get them away.”

“Ah, ah, can you really afford to take your eyes off of them?” The answer Ren receives is a glare. “But if you must, dance with me then.”

Zye doesn’t respond. There’s no point. All he knows is he puts a minimal amount of distance between them thanks to Ren rummaging through his pack. Doing this allows Ren to step forward so that the “dance” can begin. Despite the man not having any weapon, he’s able to slink away from each swing and slash.

It’s driving Zye crazy that he can’t land a hit. Worse yet he can feel the way his body drags ever-so-slightly. Pushing himself is all he can do. Finally, he decides it’s not worth it.

Ren grins wide when he sees Zye dismiss his sword. The snippy comment dies on his tongue as Zye lunges forward with fists swinging. Ren ducks and sidesteps a punch only for Zye to grab one of his wrists.

Yanking him back, Zye spins him around and slams him up against the wall. Grabbing both wrists, he pins them over Ren’s head. He moves forward and traps Ren’s legs on either side of his own. It leaves the shorter man with very little to do in return. Aside from smirking up at him.

“Well, aren’t you a dangerous one?”

“And you’re a snake.”

“Not all of us are fighters, honey. You have to take advantage of the situation.”

Zye leans a bit closer, forcing Ren to look up at him. “Guess running with Soren teaches people to play dirty.”

“Ha!” Ren huffs and gives a small wiggle, attempting to free his hands from the iron-clad grip Zye has on them. “Like you know anything about him. Let alone me.”

“Whatever. Cal, do you have anything we can restrain him with?”

Ren glances around Zye’s arm. “Shouldn’t you be more worried about the beast I led to you? It was easy, you know. All thanks to Adrian you all might lose here.”

The remarks end in a taunting little giggle that has Zye wanting to punch that look out of his eyes. Instead, he resists turning around. He doesn’t need to look. He can feel Jace and know he’s fine.

It’s fine.

Not that he’d be able to see a thing anyway. The fight has moved to the center of the road with a ring of fire that circles around them all like a cage match. Jace skids back from another bout with Kerse. He gives a glance to Aster.

“You set up a barrier, correct?”

“When I sensed her I did. If anything gets destroyed, it’ll be fixed when I release it.”

“Good.”

Ilista roars as Kerse grabs her spear, initiating a tug-of-war. One that Ilista easily wins by leaning forward and slamming her forehead against Kerse’s. Jumping back a step, she glances over her shoulder.

“They’re having an issue. Go.”

Aster huffs at that, “They’re fine. Zye is with them.”

Jace steps forward to stand with Ilista. As he does, he creates a small opening in the circle of fire that’s as tall as the buildings around them. “Go. We can handle this for now.”

Aster grumbles, worried about this decision, yet still hurries through the break that’s created. Once he’s out, Jace closes it and whispers to Ilista.

“I can only keep this up for a few more minutes before the fire will die down.”

“That’s because you didn’t rest enough.”

“I’m not used to using my fire this way. Besides, it shouldn’t matter if we’re stronger than her.”

“Hah! Fair point.” Ilista readies her spear and glares at Kerse, licking the blood from her lips. “Stay right there you bull, I’m coming at you!”

“Bring it on you little twig!”

Jace waits patiently as Ilista initiates the next bout. He spares only a moment to feel for Zye and Callua before he joins her.

On the outside, Zye is surprised when Aster runs over to them. “The hell is this?”

“One of her friends,” replies Zye.

“Like I care about her. She’s lucky she’s useful to Soren.”

The comment digs deep and has Zye growling down at him. “You piece of—”

Aster sighs, “He’s just trying to get to you.”

“Oh no, it’s the truth.” Ren meets Zye’s gaze with his own. Eyes that show everything and nothing. To the point where Zye wants to believe his words. “If she wasn’t useful, Soren would have already gotten rid of her. Just like he tried to do with you.”

“And he’d probably do the same to you.”

“See, that’s where you’re wrong. I’m different. You all are a bunch of bugs to him. Some simply take an extra step on to kill.”

Zye shoves Ren against the wall, tightening his grip on thin wrists. Seeing this, Aster moves closer to the two of them. He shakes his head. “That’s enough. I’ll take this one with us. Let me have him.”

“Sure, he’s all yours.”

The moment between Zye’s hands leaving and Aster taking over, Ren makes his move. Zye is already turning, about to walk away, and leaves Aster to deal with it. Ren smiles sweetly as Aster grabs one of his wrists.

The other arm draws up and he slams his elbow into Aster’s chest. Even not needing to breathe, it winds him with the sharp pain. A kick to Aster’s shin has him doubling over and finally letting go of Ren.

Zye can feel the knock to the back of his knee. One that has him dropping to the very one that was weakened. A hiss leaves his clenched teeth shortly before Ren’s hands fall on his shoulders.

“Stay back you three!”

Aster’s call-out does little for Zye. He can only look up to see Callua ushering Adrian and Xerxes away. All before the red hot sting laces up his neck. The one thing he can think of is—not again, he can’t be the weak link.

“S-shit, get off me!”

He can feel the teeth piercing his skin. Worst yet is the tongue that drags over the bite. Trying to shake him off, Zye reaches back to try and smack him in the face. Not that it matters. Ren has what he needs and pulls away. He skips back a few steps, parallel to the wall versus against it.

Standing and turning around, Zye stares at the way Ren licks across the blood smeared on his lips. He’s every bit as confused as he is angry. His neck is throbbing and all he wants to do is punch that cocky look off of Ren’s face.

“Time to find out what your magic does. Since Kerse wouldn’t let…let…nngh!” Ren bends over, clutching at his chest as his necklace dangles away from him, jingling softly.

None of them understand what’s happening or why he isn’t attacking. Each second that passes has whatever Ren is going through amplifying. He collapses to his knees with blood dripping from his nose and lips. Little by little, he’s curling in on himself.

Aster steps forward with a nod to Zye. Best to apprehend him while they can.

Neither are allowed the chance.

Zye hops backward. Aster stumbles toward the wall.

All to avoid the ice that hits the ground and spikes toward them. The ice continues to expand forward while Ayre jumps to the ground. She reaches down, hoists Ren over her shoulder, and huffs. Her voice is barely audible from behind her dark green mask.

“You all are lucky he’s childish.”

Long black hair sways as he turns. It gives a glimpse of the lime-green underside of her tresses. The brown attire shows plenty of the lavender skin and the ashen hands from not cleansing.

Aster doesn’t care that the ice is cutting them off. He’s prepared to move forward with Xerxes leveling his guns to give fire. Zye, however, can see there’s no chance. If only because she’s leaving. There’s no hint that she wants to fight.

It was a test. A small trap to see if they could get the upper hand in some way.

Spinning around, Zye is all eyes for trying to figure out how Jace and Ilista are doing. A barrier of fire wraps around the fight and obstructs his view. His senses, however, tug his attention back to the store he cleansed. Atop it, he sees why.

A long, slender tail sways behind legs clad in dark pants. The plume of bright red at the end catches Zye’s eyes first and foremost before the figure shifts. A muddy green coat drapes down from slender shoulders with a collar flaring out around his face. Red accents appear on the sides of his pants as well as down knee-length boots.

They match the large, beaded necklace resting above this collarbone. As well as the tail, the appearance of three small horns above a pierced, left eyebrow are new. The one closest to the side of his face is broken.

The scowl on his countenance, however, remains intact as it always did. Amber eyes glare down at Zye as he steps forward, the toes of his boots teetering dangerously at the edge of the roof.

Zye meets that gaze and knows there’s not a chance in hell this can happen. Soren is merely showing himself. Nothing more, nothing less. As much as he’d love to go toe-to-toe with him, he’s well aware that he can’t. There’s no way he’d be able to win.

Across the way, the fire snuffs out as if it had never been there. The instant it does, Kerse is running and jumping off a car to reach the roof. She stands beside Soren. Much like how Jace runs over to Zye, placing himself a step in front of Zye in case something goes sideways.

“How nice to see you all alive and well.”

Kerse scoffs, not pleased that Soren wants to run his mouth. “If you’re going to make me stop, we’re leaving.”

“And spoil the fun of taunting the trash?”

Zye goes to move forward only to find Jace’s palm pressing against his stomach. Regardless, it doesn’t keep his mouth in check. Only his body.

“The only weakling is you.”

The reply has Soren’s lips twitching into a petite smile. One of a person that has cast a hook and successfully baited their prey.

“That’s rich coming from a man that can’t do anything to help himself. You couldn’t save anyone. Not that it matters. In time, you all will either be dead or at my feet where you belong.” He sweeps his arms out wide. “If you’d like, you can surrender now and perhaps I won’t force you to turn into Nether to serve me.”

Ilista growls as she sprints over to join Zye and Jace. “You freak! Get down here so I can put a hole through you!”

“Tch…how disgusting. I don’t deal with brutes like you.” Soren brings his hands back to his sides. “Solis is almost ours, Noctis is next. So please, flail like the fish you are and wait for us to put you out of your misery.”

Kerse is already walking away, disappearing from sight as she opens a portal. Soren goes to turn to follow only to stop for a brief moment.

“Oh, and thank you for dealing with my little pest problem. I was dreading having to spare the manpower to deal with Daichi myself.”

Zye narrows his eyes. He wants to chase this man so bad that he doesn’t realize he’s calling for his magic. It’s reacting to his emotions and beginning to swirl above Soren’s head.

Jace is sure Soren can see it coming with his own magic. It’s the main reason he reaches down for Zye’s hand, giving it a squeeze. He watches as the black creeps away from Zye’s eyes and the rift is dismissed. Only once he’s sure that they’re all gone does he give another squeeze to Zye’s hand.

“Are you hurt?”

Shaking the anger to the back of his mind, Zye grumbles, “No. I just want to get out of here.”

As he turns, Jace can see the bite mark on the side of his neck. The imprints of teeth and blood that smeared over the skin have him more than a bit frustrated. He yanks Zye closer before he can retreat. “What happened?”

“Oh, that. It’s fine.”

The dismissal of the mark dares to anger Jace. It doesn’t look like nothing. Not to mention they don’t know everything about Ren’s power and any side effects it could leave with its target. He cups his hand over the bite mark and takes a deep breath through his nose.

An action that has Zye’s eyes widening. It’s the tell-tale sign that Jace isn’t okay with it. Worse yet when those fingertips brush along his nape.

Jace glances at the rest of the party that’s coming to gather around them. “You all are welcome to come with us or return to Noctis.”

Aster is the first to get to them, hands in his pockets. “Adrian and I will go with you. Ilista, take the kid to heal. He’s bleeding through his shirt.”

“What!?” Ilista shouts before sprinting past Aster. She kids up to Xerxes and is gently holding his arm in the next second. “How could you let that happen? Oh, I’m so sorry.”

Patting Xerxes’s head, Callua moves from his side. “He’ll be fine. It’s nothing too bad. Sorry about that, Xerxes. I can’t heal it.”

“N-no it’s okay. I should have seen it coming. I’ll train harder.”

“Don’t be too hard on yourself. Ilista’s shoes are pretty big to fill. Just focus and stay calm. A few hits are bound to happen.”

She comes to a stop next to Zye. She’s giving Jace a look while Zye tries to get away from them both. He grins over at her as he does. “Coming from you? You looked like you were about to go rip that guy’s head off for that stunt.”

Callua calls up a portal in front of him. “Go through before I hit you.”

He grabs her hand and turns his back to the portal. Walking backward, he tugs her with him. “Can’t hit me if I have your hand.”

She rolls her eyes as they go through first with Jace right behind them. They step out onto the green grass in front of the cabin only to realize it’s damp. Zye muses it must have rained while they were gone. A thought that has him still a few steps away from the swirling energy.

Jace passes by them and heads for the cabin. After him, Aster and Adrian come through. While Aster is heading straight for the cabin, Adrian gives a hum as he passes by Callua. He bumps his arm against hers with a wink.

“Pretty cute, holding hands like that.”

“You little brat, you’d better—” She can’t go after him with Zye still holding her hand. He keeps her there and glances away when she dares to meet his gaze. “What?”

Zye immediately releases her hand. “Sorry…nothing. Didn’t realize we were still…yeah.”

Callua gives him a smile and closes the distance between them. She loops her arm with his and gives a nudge. Usually, he would eagerly follow her. This time, he resists the tug.

“I think I’ll stay out here for a minute. The sun, uh, feels nice after all that.”

There’s a critical gaze that tries to figure out what he’s hiding. Zye is happy when she gives up with a small shrug. She pulls away and heads inside with a smile back at him.

For a long moment, he stares after her. The door finally shuts and he lets out a long sigh. “Fuck…living is still scary.”

Zye walks to the side of the house, happy to get away from where the windows can see him. Doing so gives him a modest view of the garden of flowers. They’re beautiful— blooming, shimmering in the sun after the rain, and as colorful as a rainbow. The most promising piece is the tall tree in the middle with a stone bench sitting beneath it.

A single fruit has fallen from the tree and rolled across the ground. He ambles over and picks it up. At first glance, it looks like an apple. If it wasn’t orange and a bit softer than one would be.

Another sigh slips from him as he sits on the bench, happy that it’s lightly damp. He rolls the fruit back and forth between his hands. It strangely helps him collect his thoughts.

And fears.

That woman who showed up was on another level. Ayre is a threat that sent a shiver down his spine when she made her appearance. Should she have chosen to fight, he’s not sure they would have made it out in one piece.

On the other hand, Soren doesn’t seem like much of a threat to him. Not in terms of raw strength, anyway. He’s the opposite of Kerse where Zye knows she’d be a problem. If only because he has to make sure no one kills her.

The fruit falls from his hands as he leans forward. His head drops to his palms before he drags them up over his face. Pushing the bangs away, he tries not to feel like crap.

He’s not a leader. He can barely keep up. Living was hard enough when he was alive. And this is somehow a whole new kind of difficulty that he’s not sure he’s ready for.

A hand touches his shoulder and has him jolting up, a scream lodged in his throat. One that dies down when he lifts his head to see Jace standing there.

“What the hell, Jay? Cough or step heavier next time.”

“Sorry. I called out to you a few times.”

“Oh…well…sorry. I wasn’t paying attention, I guess.”

Jace smiles as he rubs Zye’s shoulder. “Mind if I sit down?” Zye shakes his head and scoots over, allowing Jace to take the seat beside him. “Cal said you had that look on your face again.”

Zye immediately scoffs, “What the hell does that mean?”

“What’s eating at you?”

“A lot.” He knows he has to give some specifics and tries to muddle through which one he wants to give up the ghost on. “Do you really think we can help her? I want to. I think she’s probably done some bad things, but she’s not cleansing so…that’s partly to blame right?”

Jace gives him a slow nod.

“She’s responsible for her actions.” He smiles, a silent laugh in his expression when Zye shoots him a look. “However, since she’s not cleansing and she’s taking on those qualities…I’d wager to say she’s losing herself. Nether only think of the one thing they want—crave— most. Whatever it was in life that drove them, so to speak. That or energy, or light, that you give off.”

“What do you think is driving her?”

“I’m not sure.”

“Dammit…I was hoping you did. It’d make this easier.”

“If Hax hasn’t said anything you think could help, try asking him. Maybe he’ll give you a clue.”

“Do you want to do this?”

Jace leans back against the trunk of the tree. “I’m not the judge, jury, or executioner for what she has to answer for. I do think we should give her a chance to think straight and realize what’s happening. She might surprise us. It’s why I told you I agree with you.”

“Then we have to get her away from Soren most of all. The jerk.”

“What do you know about him?”

“Me? I didn’t spend that much time around him really.” Zye reaches down, gripping at the lip of the bench between his legs with both hands. “He’s a sweet talker. But once he’s got you where he wants you or don’t do what he says, he’s cold. Don’t talk back to him either. There was always something…off about him.”

“Not surprising. That lines up with what I know, rather, how I feel about him as well.”

“Daichi is the one that recruited me and made sure I got special treatment whether I wanted it or not. I guess that’s why he didn’t like me. You could say we tolerated each other.”

“He never did anything?”

“Nah. He let me quit out of the blue with no strings attached. But looking back, he probably didn’t care either way.”

Jace chuckles at that. “I see. That would be why Hax had me deliver a message to him. It was to upset Hax, that’s all. They were used to keep an eye on you, on behalf of his orders.”

“Oh. Well, that sucks. I should have run for the hills.” Zye glances over at Jace. “Hax didn’t have much to add either. He said Soren worked more with Charm.”

A smile touches Jace’s lips despite the disappointed glint in his eyes. “That’s alright. I’m not surprised considering he’s not an offensive magic type. At the same time, the amount of stamina required to use it would warrant Charm’s instruction.”

Silence settles between them. One that’s peppered with the gentle breeze that sweeps through now and then. Finally, Zye sits up with hands rubbing over his knees.

“That girl’s name, what was it? The one that’s staying with Celeste.”

“Sigil. Do you want to meet her?”

“I already have. I delivered something to her once for Soren. Right to a girl named ‘Z’.”

Recalling what Zye told him, Jace scoots a bit closer until their legs are touching. “She can see those that haven’t passed on into the afterlife. Or the cycle. Whichever they are going to. And whatever it’s called.”

“Yeah…I guess I have to believe it for sure now, huh?”

“What do you mean.”

The toe of his boot digs against the wet dirt. “My mom and Kass raised me to have faith in something. But you know, creepy ass creatures made of darkness and a girl that said she can talk to your dead mom kinda makes you stop and think. That and think you’re going crazy.”

“My people believed in the forces of Nature, each one we gave tribute and reverence to. The Nether we believed to be the imbalance with nature.”

“Yeah, but y’all could see those things from the start.”

Jace laughs softly at that. “I suppose you’re right.”

“If it’s possible…I’d like to talk to her. To Sigil.”

“You can whenever you want. She’s back in Noctis, probably the safest place for her.”

Using other subjects to work up the courage to be honest with how he’s feeling, Zye sits up. He places a hand on Jace’s thigh. A hand that’s quickly covered by Jace’s; large, warm, and comforting.

“Jace?”

He raises his brows, still leaning against the tree. “Yes?”

That silver gaze urges him to speak his fears. Something he always believed gave them power when in reality he knows it can help lessen them. Even so, he hesitates to make it known just how terrified he is. This is all overwhelming and there’s been no time to breathe or sit with it.

“It’s nothing, never mind.”

“I did want to let you know, Celeste mentioned coming to see you here soon. Orion, as well. They’re more on your level and can help you in ways I can’t.”

Chuckling, Zye pats Jace’s thigh before pulling his hand away. “I doubt that. You’ve helped me the most. I mean aside from Cal or Ilista.”

“I know it’s been mentioned. If you don’t want to be responsible for all of this, you don’t have to. You can hand the mantle to someone else.”

Zye turns on the bench, shuffling away enough to draw his leg up onto it. Bent at the knee with his hands planted on the cool stone, he glares at Jace.

“Dammit, I told you I’m not leaving you or anyone else. I just…don’t feel worthy of it. I didn’t do anything right in life. I wouldn’t have normally had this chance and yeah I know we talked about this but—”

Jace’s voice softens to almost a whisper. “You shouldn’t let Soren get to you.”

“I won’t let you down. I promise I won’t.”

“I don’t think you could. I know you’ll do your best, that’s why I like you.”

Jace pats Zye’s ankle as he finally stands from the bench. A small stretch of hands high into the air has his cloak falling back away from his shoulders. The view as Zye looks up, has him transfixed.

The glow of the sun outlining this man has him lost for words. It softens and warms the dark tones. Silver eyes shimmer like diamonds while the breeze has Jace’s bangs giving feather-light kisses to his cheeks.

This wonderful person seems to be truly unattainable and beautiful in a singular moment. One that has Zye unsure how he even got to meet him. How lucky can one person be?

Jace extends a hand to him and, happily, Zye takes it. He curls his fingers against the ones that tug him up off the bench. As they do, Jace steps back so that they can stand face-to-face.

“It’s okay to be worried. This is a little scary, right? You don’t have to keep doubting. Do your best and remember we’re always right there with you. You don’t have to be alone anymore.”

“I can do that.”

“Then come on. I’ll even tell Celeste that either of them or both can come by later to see you.”

“Any time is fine. I don’t really need—”

“You need sleep. Especially if you’ll be tempering your powers. At minimum, a small soak.”

Zye is the first one to take a step away from the bench. As he does, he interlocks their fingers together. “Okay, okay. I’ll make sure I do that.”

“I have a vial in the room waiting for you. It’ll help clear up that mark.”

Walking side-by-side, Zye laughs. “Not liking seeing someone else doing that, huh?”

“No. It actually made me very angry to see. It still does.”

He grins wide at that. “I’m glad to hear that. It’s nice to know.”

“Is it? Feels a bit childish after saying how much I trust you.”

“Nah. It’s good and fine.” Before the front door, Zye’s free hand lingers on opening it. “Besides, you leave a lot more marks than that little thing.”

A light flush dusts over Jace’s cheeks as he’s pulled inside of the cabin. They go until he can shut the door behind them. On the other hand, Zye is exasperated when he sees Callua on the floor with Adrian and Aster across from her. Cards are strewn between them with the three each holding a handful.

“No. No, no, no. You two really shouldn’t play with her. She always wins.”

Adrian lifts his head with a groan. “Eh? Why didn’t you warn us sooner?! I already owe this damn woman a fortune of favors.”

“How? I was outside for…never mind. I’m going to bed.”

Finally letting go of Jace’s hand, he passes by Callua who grins up at him. “You don’t wanna give it a try? You always did come so close!”

“Nope. Jay said it’s my bedtime.”

Callua snickers at the remark. While Zye hurries back to the room. Jace takes a seat on the couch. It’s a vantage point that allows him to see the game as well as Callua’s cards. A brief glimpse into her masterful skills.

She gives a hum, waiting for her turn. “Wanna play, Jay?”

“I’m good.”

“Supervising? You know I don’t cheat.”

“You don’t have to. You’ve only had eons to master a game you just taught them.”

Another giggle as she changes out her cards. A lucky draw at that seeing as she gets a better hand and flashes it at them. “If they’re smart, they’d win.”

Aster groans and flicks a card at her instead of dropping it into the pile. “Just deal the damn cards again.”

“Oh? But what are you going to offer if you lose? Adrian looks like he’s throwing in the towel.”

Leaning forward, elbows on his criss-crossed legs, he levels his gaze with hers. He’s dead serious and wants her to know it. “You can call me for one thing. Anything, anytime, anywhere.”

“Now that’s a bet. I’ll do the same.”

While she begins to deal the next game, Jace sinks back against the cushions. He never did understand how to play or what all of the symbols on the cards meant. It was always better that he didn’t. He’d rather watch and enjoy. As he does, he finds his mind wandering in the same direction as Zye’s.

Things will be alright, won’t they? Then again, he’s well aware that the notion of good doesn’t always prevail. His people sure didn’t and he thought they were good. There’s so much at stake that it’s sickening.

Not that it’ll keep him or anyone else from fighting. All they can do is try and survive as best they can.

0