Chapter 60
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

At the bottom of the stairs, Zye steps aside while Ilista scurries off to get changed. He had noticed she wasn’t wearing her usual ‘battle attire’, but hadn’t realized it meant she wasn’t ready. He’s convinced she could fight in anything and pull it off, after all.

It leaves him standing there with Xerxes. As they do, he can hear footsteps coming down the stairs behind them. He expects a lot of different people. The young woman he’s seen before isn’t one of them.

She comes down off the steps behind Iris and Vespera. The former woman is chatting away, telling Vespera about her training under Celeste. It has a smile on the blonde’s face. Sigil, however, is expressionless as she glances over at Zye’s stare.

Immediately, she cuts her eyes away. “Sorry,” she mumbles to him.

Zye steps around the edge of the stair’s railing. “I’m the one that should say sorry. I wasn’t that nice when we met.”

This has Iris and Vespera stopping in their tracks. They turn back to where Sigil idles in front of Zye, a perplexed expression on her face.

“What?”

“You gave me something that helped keep me going in some ways. You probably don’t even—”

“I, uh, I do remember.”

From behind Zye, Ilista is jogging over. “You two ready to go?”

He’s about to turn away when Sigil speaks up. “Can we…talk later…sometime?”

“Sure, I’ll come back to see you soon.”

It’s all he can give her before turning to Ilista and the portal she opens with a smile. “Come on you two, let’s get going.”

On one side, he wants to go talk to Sigil. There are a lot of things he’d like to ask her. On the other, he’d much rather go and pretend he’s used to this life. The more he does, the easier it’ll get— or so he thinks.

So, through the portal, the three of them go. From the cool tiles of Noctis to the humid air of another realm. Zye looks up, confused, as he sees two moons in the sky. It casts a brilliant glow cascading down onto pale cobblestone.

The portal deposits them next to a large and imposing fountain. Zye flinches away from the loud streams of water pouring from it. It takes that step back to truly realize what it is. A large cylindrical basin with fish poking up out of the water’s surface. From them sprays small streams.

The larger one comes from a woman. At least, from what he can tell the figure is a woman with a long serpent-like tail. In her grasp against her bosom is a round object. From it, water shoots up from the middle to then sprinkle back down over the sculptures.

Other than being enormous, it’s a beautiful feature of this plaza dotted with lamp posts giving a yellowish hue to the area around them.

Trying to figure out where they’re going, Zye scans the area around them. Each direction leads into a series of streets lined by tall buildings. All of them are made in the same, pale glittering stone with ornate carvings along the darkened windows.

Ilista gives a soft whistle and a nod toward where there are already Nether prowling down a street. Zye can’t focus on figuring out what grade they are before Ilista has a hand on his shoulder.

“Alright, here’s the plan since they’re a lot bigger and generally stronger than usual. Xerxes, stay as far from them as you can but where you can still hit them. Zye and I can handle them up close and personal.”

“I’ll let you know if any more show up.”

“Good.” Ilista turns to Zye with a grin. “So, can you send me up there?”

She points up to the roof of a building behind three large, at least a story high, wolves covered in shimmering blue veins. At least they look like what Zye would dub a wolf.

“Uh…I can try? I’m not sure how far I can send it yet.”

“Fine, fine. We’ll go at them and you can set one up there the second you feel like you can, okay?”

“No promises.”

Ilista smirks and steps away from him. As she does, she flicks her wrist and calls forth her two-pronged spear. From behind them, Xerxes summons two pistols that look less real and more science fiction to Zye. He doesn’t get to examine them, only that it clearly runs off of energy and not bullets.

Zye can see Ilista is already moving forward. It tells him he has no time to idle. He has to lunge forward into a sprint. Blindly going toward them, Zye glances up to where Ilista pointed.

Under pressure isn’t usually when he works best. Not in situations like this. However, it does help shove some nerves aside so that he can feel the magic tingling along his fingers. Zye focuses as hard as he can on the lip of that roof. To help get through it, he motions with his hand toward where he wants it to go.

Zye continues to run forward while leaving the swirling purple rift in his wake. Ilista, with no fear, dashes through it and appears up on the roof as planned. The second she does, the rift fizzles out of existence.

It still leaves Zye jogging toward the Nether while calling his sword into his grasp. The long strips of cloth affixed to the hilt sway as he moves. All while doing just what he needs to do.

“Hey, over here!”

Slowly, the three begin to turn to him. The one at the front is already swinging a large arm, swiping down at him. Zye skids to a stop to miss the first strike. The second comes at him as he slashes his sword into its wrist. Only for it to get wedged and stuck just a hair into the Nether’s arm.

“F-fuck me.”

Zye dismisses his sword and hops backward to put distance between them. As he does, shots sail over his shoulder and slam into its chest. He glances back in time to see Xerxes nod, recharging another round as he aims for a weak point.

Meanwhile, Ilista runs along the roof’s edge until she’s above one of them. There’s no fear in her as she leaps off, aiming her spear down into the back of one of the others. She keeps pushing through it until it’s beginning to turn into stardust.

Ilista jumps from it to the ground, flicking the tip of her spear down the hind leg of the one next to it. Zye is already lunging for it. He drops into a low skid across the ground at the last second.

A large paw swings over his head and gets knocked away at the same time. Xerxes’s shots continue to assault the Nether in a calculated search for its core.

Zye, calling his sword back, slashes along the Nether the second he’s on his feet. Dashing around it like a flea, he keeps going even as Ilista jumps onto the hind leg. Kicking off it, she stabs her spear into its arm.

They both land next to each other with Ilista giving a huff. “More down that street, lure them this way.”

A paw slams into the ground they jump away from.

“Isn’t that a bit much?”

“Pff,” Ilista scoffs as she stabs her spear into one of its fingers while she has the chance. “I’ll be done by the time you get them here.”

Not caring to argue, Zye takes a deep breath and conjures his magic to form a rift. It has him on the other side of the one she’s toying with. Running, he skids to a stop at the mouth of the street.

Two more wolf-like Nether. There’s only one problem. The one at the front reminds him of the one Ilista is fighting, it stands on its hind legs and is far taller than him. He could stack three of himself on top of each other and still barely tower over the creature.

“You’ve gotta be kidding. Ilista, you—”

“Zye, behind you!”

Sparing a glance over his shoulder, Zye flinches at the sight of the large spider. A deformed one at that with far too many legs and only one eye. It’s definitely not like the little spiders he’d save from getting squashed by other residents in the apartment.

Still, there’s a thrill in the challenge of pulling this off. The anxiety mixes with the adrenaline until a smirk settles on his countenance. A plan forms as he dodges the spider practically galloping to get to him.

Zye springs forward towards the wolf-like Nether on all fours. Beady blue eyes squint as he rushes it. Dodge the bite so that he can slash the throat. Sidestep the swipe to where he can stab into its side.

An explosion of sparkling dust is the signature of its defeat.

From behind him, the spider-Nether takes four more shots to its hindquarters to keep it distracted. Zye can hear Ilista cry out in a rage as she plows into it right after. They go tumbling to the ground with her on top and the spear stabbing into its gut.

All while Zye keeps the wolf-Nether busy.

It appears more intelligent. Certainly more hardy considering the cuts to its legs do little. One swipe knocks into his back and yet he dodges the claws. The damage is minimal as he tries to do what he was taught— shield his body with his energy.

A difficult feat when he has to rift to the back of the creature. The action confuses it to where it begins to stomp around.

Zye takes another to get on its side. A stab into its calf finally has it dropping to a knee. The barrage of bullets that come in slam into the being’s chest. The spirals of blue throughout its inky black form seem to pulsate as they do.

The core.

His grip tightens on the hilt of his sword as he prepares to end this. He has all the intention to do so. Yet still there’s the smallest moment of hesitation. If only because of the noise that comes from behind him.

One that allows Ilista to yank at his wrist and pull him out of the way. She dodges into close range with the Nether. Using its legs as a springboard, she stabs it in the chest before dragging the bladed edges of her spear all the way up through the muzzle.

A small flip off its leg and she lands with a dramatic twirl. As she does, she dismisses her spear and winks at Zye. They’re close enough where she can whisper yet far enough from Xerxes where she doesn’t have to.

“Do you think he thought that was cool?”

“Seriously?”

“Mm-hm.”

Ilista grins wide and waves at Xerxes from around Zye. It has the latter sighing heavily with a shake of his head. Maybe one day he’ll feel like he can show off and still take this seriously.

Probably not.

“Yeah, really cool.”

She feels triumphant with that. Placing her hands on her hips, she lets the grin dwindle into a smile. “You did good. Definitely didn’t get in the way. In fact, doing better than you did with Orion’s power.”

“Thanks. It’s weird not having that…whatever Orion called it.”

“The little attribute? You’re fast enough even without that. And besides, you have magic. That’s cool. I’m a bit jealous. I always thought the Dark Stars got it good. Magic and a weapon if they want? Hell, I’d have taken that.”

“Thanks. I appreciate that.”

“I mean the portal thing is kinda strange. But useful.”

“Ili!”

The shout has Zye turning and both of their eyes widening. Except Zye has to blink twice. It’s as if his vision is switching to a different mode. Akin to heat-vision and yet still not the same. He can see Xerxes’s silhouette and at the certain of his torso is a glowing white orb.

A core. His heart. The very thing that he is.

What’s strange is what he’s pointing to. A pure blackness that’s darker than any darkness he’s ever seen. It strides forward slowly with its humanoid shape. He knows exactly what it is.

A Rank One.

More than one at that. There’s one coming from all sides of Xerxes and cutting him off from them. They’re of all sizes, shapes, and a varying amount of tendrils whipping or dragging behind them.

“Shit, not good. Want a rift?”

“No. Xerxes, stay as close to the fountain as you can! And you, we’re going to cleanse them.”

“Shouldn’t we call for backup? You said—”

“It’s fine. We can handle it.”

Zye doesn’t want to be the one who disagrees. Nor does he want to be the one to admit running away would be better. Instead, he focuses on Jace while Ilista is dashing forward. A small message, that’s all he needs to get through.

“Need help, four Rank Ones.”

As he does, Ilista is spinning her spear and knocking the tentacles away from the tallest one— the one in her way to getting to Xerxes. It’s both taller and wider than her, allowing long sweeping attacks.

Zye pays her no mind. Going through one of his rifts, he pops out behind them and closer to Xerxes. He sprints the remainder of the way and spins them around. Back-to-back, Zye puts himself closer to the two coming forward together. Xerxes levels his guns at the one left in front of him.

“I can’t keep them all off you, open a portal.”

“I’m not leaving either of you.”

“Then keep that one busy. I can handle these two.”

Two?” he squeaks out.

“It’s fine. Jace is on his way. Just keep him busy until Ilista is done with hers. I can dodge fine enough.”

“O…okay.”

Zye rushes off to give Xerxes plenty of space to deal with his. He wants to make sure he keeps these Nether’s attention completely. He knows he’s not built for this yet, he can be, he just has no plan. Nothing to do but steel himself and keep going forward.

Halfway to them, he drops his sword through a rift. While the entrance is on the ground, the exit appears between the two Nether. The sword sails out of it and stabs into the side of the left one. The force of impact has it staggering away with tendrils desperately wrapping around the blade to withdraw it.

A second set of rifts appear as the previous ones disappear. Zye dashes into one and comes out behind the other Nether. His sword flickers back into his grasp as he draws it down in a long sweep.

The Nether’s tendrils quiver and straighten, blocking the attack without having to turn around. This one in particular has six that Zye can see. Making it even harder to get away when it grabs his sword and stabs at him with a tentacle.

Zye jumps back, huffs, and dismisses his sword. It returns to his hand as he runs forward. An upward cut has the Nether stepping back. He ducks under the sweep of a tendril to drop and cut into the back of its leg.

The other acts like it’s wobbling away and it has him wanting to groan. Why Ilista isn’t done yet, he understands. It doesn’t make him any less frustrated.

He stumbles away from the Nether, putting himself between them and Xerxes once more. It’s moments like these where he wishes he had two swords again. Holding the one he does have out in front, he inhales deep through his nose.

Lunging forward, Zye swings his sword in practiced motions. Always changing direction and the weight behind the blade. Regardless, the Nether parries with little effort.

It’s too risky to keep using the rifts. Not when he can already feel the heaviness in his next step forward. This slash cuts into one of the tendrils. Except he accidentally lets one slip by to wrap around his left arm.

“S-shit. Get off!”

The Nether leans in close while tugging him forward. “Give me li…light…”

An idea. One so small and simple that he can’t believe he didn’t think of it sooner. All he needs is a second to get away. It could swing either way once he does it. A true gamble.

“Fine! Take as much as you need!”

Zye isn’t sure how it works exactly. In fact, he doesn’t truly need to. He focuses as they’ve all taught him. He channels that energy no different than he would anything else he does now. This time it’s simply going to the Nether and not his weapon or calling a portal to life.

All he does know is that the second he starts, it drains him fast. The grip on his arm loosens. Much like the way his knees begin to try and buckle. Zye dismisses his sword as he notices the other Nether having ambled away from them.

He grits his teeth and shoves himself from the Nether. Spinning around, he dashes toward the one getting away. A move that’s not fast enough with how his feet drag. The being has already gotten so close— enough to send a tendril out to slash across the back of Xerxes’s hand.

The gun tumbles from his grasp as he turns around. Blue eyes widen with fear at the realization of why and what attacked him.

All the same, Zye is pushing himself to move faster. He can’t have this happen. No— Never— Not this, not when he should be able to stop it.

Shoving the Nether aside, Zye grabs onto Xerxes. He hugs him tight and keeps his back to the Nether. The black blade appears in his grasp once more, pointing at the Nether Xerxes had been fighting.

Xerxes adjusts himself to look around Zye’s arm. He aims the gun he still has out at the Nether beginning to stand back up. As he does, he can see past it and the way Ilista is fighting tooth and nail to get through her challenger.

Dark blue blood drips down one arm as she stands back up. There’s a cut from her side to mid-back, slicing into the material of her shirt. Yet she keeps fighting. She doesn’t hesitate to knock the Nether down to its knees so that she can take its head.

She stands there bathed in the glittering stardust as she huffs at the sight before her. Ilista can’t get to them in time. They’ll have to figure it out for themselves. Not that it stops her from taking that first step forward to prove herself wrong.

Except she doesn’t have to.

Zye breathes a sigh of relief when a portal opens up on either side of them. He can feel the ripples of energy through the air— a tickle to his skin as backup appears.

From the one in front of Xerxes, Orion steps out. He doesn’t hesitate whatsoever. Strings let loose from around his fingers and begin to snag the tendrils one by one. He continues until the Nether grows frustrated with batting them away.

A few seconds later and Orion has his strings restraining all of the tendrils as the Nether writhes in place. He glances over his shoulder, confident that he can hold the Nether in place.

“Xerxes, shoot the core. Now.”

Zye lets him go at the call for action. Xerxes spins around and unloads his clip into the Nether’s chest cavity the second Orion ducks to the side. At the same time, Orion clenches his strings so tightly that it begins to slice into the being.

What no one sees is that Xerxes’s shots are merely the markers. They aid Orion in locating the core and cutting it into ribbons. All to turn the Nether into sparkling dust that fades away.

At the same time, Zye is turning to see Callua running over to Ilista. Jace, however, punches the Nether in the face to where it staggers back. To help, Zye runs to the side and begins to parry the tendrils.

He just needs to keep their focus on protecting the main body from cuts. On the other hand, Jace can freely move about and litter the being with one fiery punch after the other.

Cutting through the tendrils is suddenly a lot easier while Jace wears it down. Even so, Jace isn’t playing around. The fire coats his knuckles as he slams them against the Nether— always in a different spot.

Like hell, he’ll let it get away with laying a hand on Zye. Not on his watch. The final punch sends his fist through the chest as well as the core keeping the being tethered to this existence.

As the husk fades away and the soul returns to where it belongs, Jace can finally nod to Zye. “Nicely done.”

Zye swallows hard past his dry mouth. He’s tired and pretty sure that the Nether took a little too much from him. Rather, he gave too much away. He dismisses his sword and yet wishes he hadn’t. Maybe he could have used it to lean on.

Across from where the four of them stand, Callua is fluttering about Ilista in an effort to stabilize the cuts. If nothing else, to stop it from bleeding. Except Jace isn’t concerned with Ilista, she’ll be fine, he’s more worried about the Nether that remains.

The slender, more than any normal human would appear, slowly sits down on the ground. Legs crossed and tendrils lying limp around it, it holds its head in its hands. It slowly garners the attention of everyone but Zye.

Jace gestures to it with a nod of his head. “What happened to that one?”

“I, uh…had to do something so I gave it some of the light it wanted.”

Orion is marching up beside Zye. He hesitates, hand retreating from the intention to grab the man’s wrist. “You shouldn’t have done that. It’s dangerous.”

“Hax did it and that worked out fine.”

“Hax did a lot of things.” Orion glares up at the much taller man before stomping past him. He stands before the Nether, sweeping his arm down at it. Strings wrap around its body as if it’s a loose blanket. “Don’t do it again.”

“You’re not my Dad. And it did the job, they’re pacified and can be cleansed now.”

“Fine. I’ll cleanse it before we leave. Are you all returning to that world or coming with us?”

Callua moves away from Ilista after the woman pats her shoulder with a smile. She makes her way over to Zye and gives him a look. One that silently says what Orion already did.

“No. I’ll take them to a hotel so we can get some water blessed and relax.”

“Ho…tel…?”

Zye chuckles at Orion’s response. He glances over at Xerxes coming to the other side of him. Giving Xerxes a pat on the back, he directs his eyes to Ilista. “You need to help me teach this one. He’s out of the loop.”

“I’d love to,” she replies with a grin. “Now go on you three. We got this one.”

Callua shakes her head and turns on her heel. Zye dutifully hurries to fall in line beside her with Jace on the other side of him. A few steps away, she smiles over at them. “It’s only a short walk.”

“You’re not mad are you?” asks Zye. He leans forward a bit, trying to see her face.

Her short tresses bounce about her shoulders as she bobs her head. “Of course I am.”

“I can’t go everywhere with you two. Besides, you did this longer. You’ve probably been in more fights than I have.”

“I have. Yes. And for your punishment, we’re going to a hotel and having something nice.” She sticks her tongue out at Jace at the look he gives her. “Nice as in absurd luxury, not homey and cozy.”

Jace reaches down and clasps his hand to Zye’s while they walk. “How are we paying?”

“I have connections, don’t worry about it. It’s all ready and set up for us.”

As promised, they’re at the front of a building that looks exactly like all the others. Jace stops them before Callua goes for the door. There’s no one around to where Zye can only imagine it’s the dead of the night.

“Zye, were you taught how to suppress your presence?”

“Uh…No? It just happens. I thought I was this whole time. Well, at least until Hax gave me his stuff.”

“Think of yourself as meditating or—”

“Or that you’re invisible,” Callua cuts in.

Zye glances between them. “Can you tell when I’m doing it?” They both nod and it has him huffing. Of course, they can.

Taking a moment to do as they say isn’t easy. Like everything since he woke up like this, he doesn’t quite get it. Sure, everyone in all of the media he ever consumed made it look easy. But it’s not. He has no damn idea what he’s doing. Or how, when Jace squeezes his hand.

“There you go.”

Callua grins as she grabs the long swirled handle to the double doors with their frosted glass inlaid into them. “So, which worked? Mine or his?”

“Both?”

“That’s a cop-out. Choose one of us.”

“No, now open the door before I go back to the cabin instead.”

Pouting, she does just that. Leading them inside is easy considering the door is one that slowly swings shut. It doesn’t look suspicious at all thanks to that. Callua takes them straight to the counter where an older person sits.

To Zye, she’s beautiful. There’s something about the air around her. Her long white hair folds down around her shoulders in gentle waves with bangs cut straight over dark purple eyes. Eyes that contrast wonderfully against the soft pink skin.

She looks up to meet Callua’s gaze. A soft smile curls her lips. “Your room is ready, Miss. Please have a good night. And remember, you owe me lunch.”

“I’ll get with you soon and I’ll even let you pick.”

A whisper of a giggle is all they get in response before Callua begins to guide them away. As they follow, Zye glances back at the woman. She gives a nod and then sits back up in her chair, going back to work.

It has him wanting to ask what the big deal is that he remain hidden. Deciding it’s not important, he drags himself along behind Callua and up two flights of stairs. Each step brings a pang of misery through his body. He can feel he’s recovering and yet it’s not enough to make much of a difference.

Finally in the room, Callua heads straight for the couch in front of a blank wall. At least, it is until she uses the device on the round table in front of her. It creates a screen of sorts on the wall. It doesn’t look transparent at all, more like it’s embedded when there was nothing there before.

Upon second thought, he doesn’t care. Zye shakes his head and continues past her to lean on the back of the couch. He doesn’t want to think of all the worlds or how any of this makes sense. It’s strange enough that this ‘magic’ allows them to travel between worlds and speak to each other in their own language.

Jace strides past him in search of the bathroom. All in an effort to bless a tub full of water. It allows Zye a chance to drape his arms down the cushions and reach over, poking Callua’s shoulder. She slumps toward him a bit and looks up, catching his gaze from beneath his hair.

“What’s going on up in that head of yours, hm?”

“Just wondering about that Nether. I didn’t expect them to react like that. I wonder who it was…”

“No telling. But they’re free now and that’s what matters. They’re not trapped to wander forever in search of an escape. Right?”

“Yeah…”

The tone catches Jace’s attention as he reenters the room while drying his hands on a small towel. “What’s wrong?”

“Are you two sure there’s no way to find out if someone is one? I just…”

Callua sighs heavily. “It’s about Shae, isn’t it? I doubt he would be. He was—”

“Worse than me. It’s fine. It’s just a stupid thought, sorry.”

Jace strides over, patting his hand on Zye’s shoulder before sitting on the couch. He takes the spot on the other side of where Zye has laid across the back. “I can’t promise anything. But I agree with Cal, I’m sure he’s not.”

“Yeah…Anyway, sorry about that. Kinda depressing to talk about.”

“No. I should be sorry,” starts Jace. “I thought about whether or not to ask him if he wanted to join us. I’d have had to make him my Guardian and cut corners like I was for you. But I—”

“Jace.” The serious tone and the sharp bite to his name have them both turning to Callua. “Stop. That’s never been our call. It’s okay that it didn’t happen.”

“I still regret it. Then again, he might have called me crazy when I told him.”

Zye chuckles in an effort to lighten the mood. It’s not hard considering he can only imagine how Shae would react. “Nah, he’d never say that to your face at least. Maybe laugh and joke.”

“I am sorry I couldn’t do it. I was, except I was too late when I got back to him.”

Callua stops scrolling through what Zye can only imagine are channels. She gives Jace the softest smile either of them have ever seen. “Stop beating yourself up over it. It wasn’t an easy choice. It was sweet you wanted to, to begin with.”

“Exactly! If anything he’d have been mad you offered it to me first. Boyfriend privileges and all.” Zye rubs his palm over Jace’s shoulder. “He’d tell you to dust it off and keep going. He’d never hate you for that.”

“I guess you’re both right. At least, I’ll try to let it go.”

Zye glances between the two of them for a moment. He definitely does not care to do anything in public. Especially not in front of friends who can and will tease him later.

“Cal, close your eyes. Five seconds, it’s all I ask.”

“You two are adorable and gross. Go ahead,” she says with a flick of her wrist.

When he’s sure that she’s closed her eyes, he moves. Zye stands up and steps over to where he’s behind Jace. A simple flurry of motion that has him tilting Jace’s head back while he leans over him.

The chaste kiss has him hating he can’t do a second one. It certainly doesn’t help that he brushes his fingers down Jace’s neck. All of the thoughts hit him at once to where he has to resist gripping onto those strong shoulders.

Getting horny when they have to share a hotel room with their best friend is not the right call.

It’s exactly why he’s quick to scurry away to the bathroom. So fast that Jace remains leaning back against the cushion with a smile on his face. He lulls his head to the side just in time to see Callua grinning at him.

“Smitten aren’t you?”

He gives her a petite shrug. “You could say that.”

“Haven’t scared him off with the love word yet? You know he’d come unglued if you said it. In a good way.”

“Now isn’t the time to worry about our relationship.”

“Uh-huh. And how many have you had?”

“One. Now two. And you?”

Callua leans against the arm of the couch. She sweeps her legs up and drapes them over his lap, getting comfortable. “That’s not something you ask a lady. Unless you’ll get angry over all my ill-fitted suitors.”

“I probably would. You deserve someone that loves you with all their soul.”

The stare she gives him is only because he catches her off guard. For a moment, he’s afraid he’s touched something too deeply buried inside of her. He knows there are a lot of sensitive subjects when it comes to her past. The last thing he ever wants to do is upset her. Finally, she clears her throat and resumes searching for something to watch.

“You’re a romantic. Not everyone gets that lucky. Besides, I have you two. That’s all I need right now. So remember, balance that work and home life properly. You can always ask for advice.”

“Then tell me, what’s something I should do?”

“Teach his ass some of your defensive moves like you taught me. I’m sure he’d love how close you get to show him.”

“Cal.”

“I’m being serious, Jay. Spend time with him. This is a battle and something could go wrong at any minute. Keep him grounded as he grounds you.”

He nods slowly and allows her to turn the program on. The loud noise catches him off guard at first. Only because he’s in his own thoughts daring to suppress what he wanted to reply with.

She’s always been the one who grounded him more than anyone else. Even Charmilla. As patient and gentle as she was, Callua is mortal as well. It made a difference in the beginning.

It doesn’t take long for Zye to return, for which Jace is grateful. The horrific and gore-filled show isn’t exactly up his alley. With nothing to do and not wanting to turn down the chance to soak in the presence of a friend, he manages to sit through it.

Zye comes out of the bathroom with a rather fluffy white robe on his shoulders. Crumpled up in his crossed arms are his boots and shirt. He catches the quizzical look Jace gives him.

“Sleeping in this getup isn’t working.”

Callua sticks her tongue out at him. “You’re the dummy that chose it. Could have picked something comfier.”

Before Zye can respond, Jace interjects into the conversation. “It’ll be fine once you get to Solis. Then you can have whatever you’d like. In fact, if you want something different I can always have my Mark create it for you.”

“Why aren’t we in your room to begin with?”

“Because I can’t get television there. Now shush and watch or go to bed like a good boy.”

Sulking, Zye sticks his tongue out at her and turns on his heel. Like hell, he’s hanging around to watch some horror flick that’ll give him nightmares. If he can even have nightmares while Hax is still hanging around. A potentially good question to ask the next time he sees the man.

Heading to the bedroom, he waits to get in the room to chuck the shirt and boots on the ground. Zye plops onto the edge of the nearest mattress. He lets out an exaggerated huff while flopping back onto it with arms spread wide across the sheet.

This entire situation is much like adrenaline during an intense or traumatic event. There’s been little time to sit and digest everything. No time to take a breath and realize exactly what is happening and how his ‘life’ is going to be from now on.

The deaths alone are what he struggles to process. His mother is one he hasn’t even fully gotten over yet. He’s not sure he ever will sometimes. Not when he could use her opinion so badly right now. The pain is a constant gnaw at the back of his psyche. Shae even worse so.

Counting the specks of gray in the white ceiling until they make his eyes start to cross doesn’t help. It’s suffocating— this new life he’ll have. And yet he knows it’s worth the price to have it. There’s no way he’ll throw in the towel and run away.

After all, he was always taught by Kass that the higher powers that be have their hands in things. To stick to his morals, his values, and his empathy. Because at the end of the day, he should also have faith in himself.

Then again it’s not himself he has a problem with. It’s understanding why those like Soren or Hax have proceeded how they did. Even Orion he’s unsure about, although it’s getting clearer. All he knows is he doesn’t want to lose himself in what’s happening. Not like others have.

The desire to live burns so hot inside. No different than the night he died. He made his decision— this would be what he’s living like regardless of how it happened. And yet…

“I have to get better at this,” he mumbles to himself.

“Better at what?”

Zye pushes himself up on his elbows. “You’re not watching it with Cal?”

“Mm…no. I’ll pass this time. I did convince her to keep it down. You didn’t hear all the screaming?”

“Nope. But I was in my head anyway. Can’t hear nothing but the ball rattling around in here.” He sits up the rest of the way with elbows on his knees. Leaning forward, he locks his eyes to the floor between his feet. The wooden slats that make it up are strangely warm.

The grin does little to convince Jace of anything. He strides closer to where he can reach out, combing his fingers through Zye’s hair. “You’re smarter than you admit.”

“I guess. I’m best with numbers, not so much anything else.”

“You’re good at other things as well.”

“And what are those?”

“You stand up for those that can’t or don’t.”

Zye looks up at him, a cheeky grin on his face. “Seriously? You do know that usually got the shit beaten out of me. But thanks, I’ll take the compliment.”

A smile and Jace is stepping away. He begins working on taking his boots off. “I hope you’ll tell me even more about your life when this is over.”

“Right back at you.”

“You can always ask me questions.”

“We’re a little busy most of the time.” Zye glances at him only to receive a look. As usual, it’s fine if he does. “Is there anything you’ll push back on?”

Jace stills, one boot off with the other in his grasp. “As in?”

“That you disagree on me with.”

“I didn’t agree about Daichi. If you were to try to do what Hax did. Don’t chase something alone, lean on us. I doubt you’d go rogue and try to hurt yourself or anyone else. So I don’t think I’d have anything to worry about.”

“Fine, whatever you say Mr. Perfect.”

At that, Jace gently sets the boot next to the other. He strides over and takes a seat beside Zye. Jace holds out his hand, palm up, and patiently waits for Zye to plop his atop it.

“I’m not perfect.”

“I know. Sorry if that, ya know…You don’t have to try so hard that you wear yourself out. Or worse.”

Jace squeezes his fingers around Zye’s. A furtive glance shows that Zye has returned his gaze to the floor.

“When we’re young, my people can develop an affinity for nature. Considering both my mother and father were greatly blessed by our Goddesses, their children expected to be as well.”

Zye squeezes back, encouraging him to continue— confirming that he’s listening intently.

“That’s when we’re…” he has to think for a moment, “when we’re eight, as you would say. I didn’t have one and I know the elders spoke of misfortune. That maybe our line was cursed because of my mother’s injury. My sister after me didn’t have one either.”

“What happened?”

“Well, I didn’t get mine until I was sixteen. A miracle the elders would preach. None of my sisters were gifted with one.”

“So that’s why you work so hard. You’re used to it.”

“I did have to be strong enough to make both my parents proud. It’s kind of like how you were brought into this at a later point. You have so much to learn— to catch up on. But…it’s alright, you’re doing well. Give yourself some credit.”

Zye leans a bit until his head rests on Jace’s shoulder. “I hope someone told you that.”

“My mother did. She warned me not to burn too bright, that I could burn out. And I know I’ve been doing that a lot lately.”

Jace turns. It forces Zye to sit up. As he does, Jace catches Zye’s jaw in his hands. He dips his face closer until their lips are nearly touching. “And I promise I’ll take better care of doing so. That doesn’t mean I won’t do whatever it takes to keep you and Cal safe.”

“But no burnout. Promise me.”

“Only if you stop beating yourself up for being shoved into this and not knowing what you’re doing. We’re all allowed to stumble.”

“Fine. I can live with that.”

Jace pecks Zye’s lips before standing up. The gentle caress of those fingers leaving his cheeks has Zye wanting to follow them. Regardless, he stays rooted to the spot with fingers gripping hard at the edge of the bed.

“So…what happens tomorrow?”

“Back to the cabin, if you’d like. Unless you’d rather I have someone open the way to Noctis.”

“You think once we help Kerse, we could connect it so we don’t have to go through the trouble.”

“Talk to them. I’m sure they’d agree to do it once she’s more stable,” replies Jace. He begins picking up Zye’s boots and then folding the shirt to sit on top of them. “I know it’ll be fine. You’re not a burden. And it’s okay to be tired.”

Zye stares hard at Jace as the man resumes standing straight. The fact that he so effortlessly sees through Zye has the aforementioned man reeling. He huffs and shrugs out of the robe. Leaving it on the edge of the bed, he scurries under the sheets.

“Not fair when you do that.”

Jace raises a brow as he scoops up the robe before it hits the floor. “Do what?”

“Read me like a damn book.”

“Perhaps a picture book?”

Zye’s lips draw into a thin line. Glancing over his shoulder, he sticks his tongue out at him. “You know what, for that, no cuddles. Fuck you and your muscles.”

Chuckling, Jace turns the lights down to a dim glow and sets the robe on the dresser. He can deal with that later. For now, he returns to the bed and slips in beside Zye. There’s a moment where the space between them feels like a canyon.

Until Jace rolls over. He obliges the remark and doesn’t so much as breathe on Zye’s neck. Instead, he waits patiently, knowing full well Zye didn’t mean a word.

Zye reaches behind and pats the bed. “Come on, don’t leave me hanging.”

“You’re sending mixed signals.”

“And if you get any cuter I’ll go out there with Cal instead.”

Jace is already moving as Zye speaks. He tugs Zye close and drapes an arm over the slender waist. Jace doesn’t mind sinking a little lower so that he can rest his forehead against Zye’s back. The warm skin is more of a welcome than he’ll ever tell.

It reminds him that Zye isn’t sick anymore. He’s not getting thinner and paler. He’s not tired and in pain. He’s warm. The same kind of warm as Jace now. A little safer, a little closer than before.

A thought that reminds Jace to never let go. Not again. Not now that he has personal stakes in a fight he was about to give up on.

0