Chapter 7
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A Tuesday afternoon with nothing special about it. That’s the type of day off that Zye likes best. At least, he would if his mood was better. He’s got the place to himself and yet there’s nothing he’d rather do than just sit here on the couch. Zye hasn’t even managed to get dressed. He’s still in a pair of sweats and a t-shirt cut off just past his chest.

He’s been sitting here for at least an hour and a half already. There’s nothing on TV that catches his eye but he leaves it for background noise. Anything to help him ignore the inklings of thoughts that try to worm up from the depths. He doesn’t want to feel at the moment. He thinks he’s been doing well not to touch those lately. Therefore, he lounges on the couch with his hands patting out an aimless beat against his thighs.

There’s a small part of him that wishes Callua would show up. Maybe someone could call him in to take their shift. But he’s never that lucky. He’s tempted to scoop up his phone and flick through it until he can find something to do. Any stupid little game will suffice.

The second he’s about to, there’s a knock on the door. One that says they’ve already opened the screen door but won’t go further. It strikes him as odd considering no one should be coming here. If anyone does it’s Callua and she normally barrels in.

Despite wanting something to do, Zye groans. His feet drag as he makes his way to the door. All so he can step over the shoes scattered near the entryway. He mumbles to himself about what a mess Shae makes before unlatching the lock so he can open the door wide.

“Alright, what do you…” Zye trails off at the sight of silver eyes and the petite smile on a strong countenance. Quickly, he readjusts his tone. “Uh, what are you doing here?”

Jace tilts his head ever-so-slightly, just enough to have bangs shifting against his face. It’s odd enough that he has his hair down, odder still that he’s here without Callua in toe. Zye can’t tear his eyes away much less force his brain to work. Especially not when Jace is dressed so nice; dark jeans, a pair of slip-ons, and a plain white t-shirt. Not a wrinkle in sight.

It has Zye feeling very under dressed.

“If it’s not a good time I can come back. I just didn’t have a way to contact you.”

“Callua?”

“She’s ignoring me right now.” There’s a disgruntled tone that lingers with that admission. But not one that lasts into the next. “I offered to take you out, but we can go another—”

“No! I mean, yeah, today is fine. Just let me, uh, get changed. You can make yourself comfortable if you want.”

Jace doesn’t get much of a chance since Zye is already spinning on his heel. The man is gone in the next second with the sound of feet slapping against the floor left in his wake. It takes Jace a moment before he decides to shut the door and wait outside. No need to get too comfortable. It shouldn’t take him long— at least that’s what Jace hopes.

Zye is a flurry of motion as he gathers something that’s presentable in public. It doesn’t help that he’s not sure where Jace is taking him. He can only try to match the attire Jace wears. He manages to find a clean pair of light-colored jeans that aren’t riddled with holes. A band t-shirt is next that has a logo so worn out it’s practically a plain black shirt.

The only other thing he does extra is to slick up his bangs so they’re out of his face. Although the sight of the fading pink has him wanting to refresh it— keep it that way a little longer. Zye tries not to dwell on it and grabs his things off the living room table. He doesn’t find it strange that Jace isn’t inside. If anything he’s glad. It makes it easier to slip into his shoes and out the door.

There at the end of the porch, is Jace. The man gives him a smile as he exits the house. “Ready to go?”

“Yeah. Where to?” He sweeps his gaze over the curb. “Do you just walk everywhere?”

“Maybe I like riding on your bike.”

A tinge of red touches Zye’s cheeks. He’s sure Jace didn’t even mean it in any way but playful. Maybe he’s even serious. But certainly, not in the way his filthy mind takes it. Mentally smacking himself, Zye gestures to where he’s left it parked.

“That’s fine. Just tell me where we’re headed.”

Jace dutifully follows after him. “I was thinking you can decide. It’s my treat so pick your favorite place.”

“Hmm…I do know a place. It’s not too far away either.”

At the motorcycle, he retrieves the helmets and tosses one to Jace. It’s a practiced dance that allows Zye to start it up and climb on. Jace is quick to saddle up behind him with hands on Zye’s hips. A simple touch that the poor thing is still getting used to. Not that it warrants Zye’s attention when he has to focus on the road.

It doesn’t take them long at all to go two blocks over once they’re out of the neighborhood. A petite parking lot sits to the side of the building, resting on the curb of the street. Because of this, Zye pulls to a stop closest to the restaurant’s front. Jace is allowed off first with the helmet getting tugged up and held out for Zye when he’s ready for it.

To Jace, this place isn’t nearly as visually impressive as some of the other shops he’s come across. There’s a bit of peeling paint around the double doors with what look to be gossamer curtains pulled back from the windows. The glass is a bit fogged, whether it’s from age or the temperature inside he’s not sure.

Turning to Jace once he’s packed up the helmets, he gives a smile. “It doesn’t look like much but they have the best food. Promise.”

“I trust you,” he says with a gesture for Zye to lead.

He escorts Jace inside. The lights aren’t glaring but their bright white hue illuminates the glass cases on display beneath the register. The shelves are full of cakes, pies, and everything in between. Behind this counter is an old woman atop a stool that looks up when they get close. Her eyes widen as she slips off the stool, hands slapping against the glass countertop.

“You…You’re Lyra’s son, ain’tcha?”

A polite nod. “Yeah, that’s me.”

“Oh God, it’s been ages. I’d know those eyes anywhere. Don’t tell me you came all the way here just for my wife’s cooking.”

“It’s the best in the city, why wouldn’t I?”

She waves her hand back and forth to dismiss the flattery. The woman snatches up two menus. “That won’t earn you any discounts. Come on, let me get you seated.”

Zye glances over at Jace and they settle in line behind her. Long, gray hair sways behind her with each step until she has them at the table. Not that it’s hard to find seating— they’re the only ones here. They’re led to four chairs in front of a window with a table draped in a white cloth.

The woman waits for them to take their seats before handing them each a menu. “Now, what drinks can I start you off with?”

Jace is the first to speak up, “Water is fine.”

“Same here.”

“Then I’ll go get those while you two decide. Take your time.”

She turns to leave while Zye flips the menu open. Fingers glide over the laminated paper. It’s nothing fancy considering the menu is small. Just three pieces hand-stitched together with thin strips of leather. While skimming to make sure what he usually gets is still there, his eyes flicker up to look at Jace.

The man is in such deep thought that he almost hates to intrude. Zye closes his menu and slides it to the end of the table. Doing so draws Jace’s attention. “You’ve already decided?”

Zye gives a hum, “Yeah. My mom used to bring me here all the time. I know the menu like the back of my hand considering it’s the same as it was back then.”

“I see…And is it usually so…empty?”

“They only open for lunch and early dinner. It’ll be packed in the next hour I’m sure.”

Jace sets his menu on top of Zye’s as the woman returns. She places down two glasses of water with ice clinking from each movement. A pad is pulled from her pocket with a smile on her face. “Alright, what can I get’cha?”

Zye nods for Jace to go first. Silver eyes glance at the woman, meeting that kind gaze. “I’ll take the white wine crab and pasta.”

“Now, it’s got a bit of heat to it. You sure?”

“Yes, please.”

She jots it down and turns to Zye. “Brought me someone with such good manners. Smart boy, might earn yourself that free dessert yet.”

Zye chuckles, “Was never my intention, Marta.”

“Mhm, sure. I say you eying that cake. Just made it this morning, you know.”

“I’m sure it’s amazing. But I’ll just start with the shrimp alfredo for now.”

The pen scratches over the paper before she tucks them both back into the pocket of the apron around her waist. “I’ll go let her know to get started. Shouldn’t be too long. Lucky you got here as we opened.”

Leaving them alone again, Zye leans his head on an upraised hand. “So, aside from keeping Cal in line, what do you enjoy doing?”

“Anything that keeps me outside usually. I used to hike a lot or garden.”

“Yeah, not a lot of that around here. Got a green thumb then?”

Jace leans back in his chair. “No, just persistent. Callua tells me you’re the go-to guy when it comes to all the technology.”

“I guess so. It’s just always been easier to deal with. Games are straightforward and so are devices. If you ever need help with one, let me know.” A furrowed brow piques Zye’s interest. “What? Don’t you have a phone?”

“I…don’t. Someone else handles that for me.”

Zye cocks an eyebrow, “You’re definitely not as scary now.”

“You were scared of me?”

“Pff, no. Not at all.” Scared— no —intimidated a bit, yes. “The tattoos, did they hurt?”

Jace can’t help the reflex. A hand lifts from his lap to brush a finger over the ones beneath his left eye. A memory ripples out along the surface of his mind. One that has a rather melancholic look crossing his countenance.

“They did, a lot. Probably worse than any of your piercings. Unless you have more than just your ears.”

“Nah. I can take pain but the ears are all I wanted. I have helix piercings, I just don’t wear them all the time. Especially not when I’m working. I leave them all empty then.”

The tingling of the bell over the door catches Jace’s attention. Jace sits up a bit more as a couple parties of people come in. He’d rather keep their conversation between just them in case those people are seated near them. “Speaking of work, you seem pretty busy with it. Is it dangerous?”

“Eh, not really. I learned to hold my own as a kid. Makes it easier to handle drunks or trouble makers.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. It’s different when you have to know versus wanting to learn.”

Footsteps draw close to them. It forces the conversation down for the moment as Marta strides over. She sets both plates down in front of them as well as two sets of silverware. Marta grins wide then places her hands on her hips. “If you two need anything else just wave me down.”

Before either can say a word, she’s off to the next table. Zye waits a moment, watching as Jace rolls out the napkin to get to the fork and spoon inside. He begins to do the same. “Do you know how?” Jace looks up at him. “To fight, do you know how?”

“Oh.” A fork pushes into the pasta and twirls. “I do, yes. My mother taught me everything she knew.”

Zye swallows before continuing. “Your mother, huh? She must be pretty cool.”

“She was. No one could beat her in a spar. That includes me.”

He stops for a moment, staring down at the plate of food. A well of sadness opens up inside of him at that. He’s talking about his mother— something he hasn’t done in so long and so easily at that. He can’t even believe it slipped off his tongue without a second thought.

Zye notices the look that crosses Jace’s face. It’s as if for a moment, he’s not truly here with him. He knows all too well what it means. He tries to give a smile, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to—”

“No, it’s alright. I was just…remembering. It’s been a long time since she’s passed away.”

Suddenly the noodles beneath Zye’s gaze don’t seem as appetizing as they had. The nostalgia is settling in— both good and bad. He starts to wonder if it was a good idea to bring Jace here. Colliding past and present doesn’t always have the best outcome.

“Yeah, I get that. I recently lost mine, too.”

Jace remembers what Zye said and gives him a smile. “She has my thanks. This food is delicious.”

He watches Zye’s face scrunches and eyes blink a few times. Trying to let Zye recover on his own, he doesn’t say another word. They settle into a comfortable silence as they eat. They’re both almost done when Zye finally lifts his eyes to meet with Jace once more.

“So, you like it?”

“More than I thought I would.”

“I’ll have to get that next time then. I don’t think I’ve ever had it.”

Jace reaches across the table. “No need.” His fingers brush over Zye’s as he takes the fork from him. Zye’s too surprised to even stop him let alone say a word. Jace scoops up a bite of it and holds it out for him. “Try it.”

At that moment he’s not sure if Jace even knows what being embarrassed is. He can only ignore the nerves as he leans forward, taking the bite that’s offered. Zye settles back into his chair. All the while Jace has the most innocent smile on his face.

“Good, right?”

It is. Zye can’t deny that. Except it happens to also be very spicy. To the point that the second he swallows it, he’s downing the rest of his water. Even then it does little to deter the hot tingle across his taste buds.

“I’m sorry, are you alright?”

Zye sucks in a breath. It’s all he can do to try and quell the heat. “I’m…fine. It’s pretty good though.”

“Are you sure?”

Zye takes the fork back and a bite of his own meal to try to alter the taste in his mouth. Anything to help cleanse the spice. Once he swallows, he points his fork toward Jace. “How can you eat that so calmly? You’re something else.”

“I don’t mind it.” This is what has a slight hue to Jace’s cheeks. In hopes to redirect, he nods his head back toward the counter where all of the sweets are on display. “I’ll make it up to you. Pick any dessert you want.”

“N-no, it’s okay. Really.”

“I insist.” Jace notices Marta stepping away from a table across the room. He lifts his hand and gives her a wave. Something she notices immediately. She crosses over to them. “We’d like to get some dessert.”

Her eyes sweep over to Zye. “Change your mind, hm? The one you were eying right?”

Jace pipes up before Zye can shoo her away. “Yes, ma’am.”

“Alright, two slices coming up.”

“Ah, just one.” Jace corrects.

“Okay, just one big piece then.” She chuckles to herself and heads to the counter. It’s a few minutes later that she returns with a slice of red velvet cake. A dollop of extra frosting is on the side of the plate. “Here you go, enjoy.”

“Thank you,” they both say at the same time.

It’s something that has Zye leveling his eyes with the plate and picking up one of the two new forks that she left with them. “Are you sure you don’t want any?”

“Go ahead, it’s fine.”

Zye glances up, one brow raised with a bite stuck onto the end of the fork. “Don’t like this kind?”

“I wouldn’t know.”

“Seriously?” Zye hands the other fork to Jace. “Don’t make me eat it on my own. At least try it.”

Jace chuckles, “If you insist.”

Together they manage to finish the slice of cake in record time. Of course, Jace doesn’t dare touch that extra frosting. Zye’s allowed to partake in that the most. When they’re done, they stand and begin to make their way to the counter. Almost there, Jace stops him. “Go ahead, I’ll pay.”

“I won’t say no to that.”

The grin Zye gives him is blinding. True emotion— not a mask or a forced smile. Jace watches him slip back outside before stepping up to speak with Marta. She leans against the counter, smiling at him.

“Enjoy yourselves?”

“Yes. It was all very good, thank you.” He takes a deep mental breath while scurrying to pull out the card Callua gave him. The second Marta takes it he almost wants to heave a sigh of relief. He’d have a panic attack if he had to go out and ask Zye to pick up the tab instead.

She slides it and the receipt across the glass to him. Her gaze is elsewhere, looking out the window to where Zye is gathering the helmets. “Goodness, he really does look like his dad. That was the prettiest man I’ve ever seen and he takes after him a lot.” Marta flashes Jace a toothy grin. “Do me a favor, come back okay?”

“We will, that I can promise.”

“Such a sweetheart.” Marta reaches for a paper bag on the other side of the register. She holds it out toward Jace. “Think of it as a bribe to come back. Later next time so I can drag my wife out to say hi.”

“Can do. Thank you again.”

The card goes back into his pocket. He supports the bag with both hands, despite how small it is, as he slips out of the restaurant. He can only imagine it has a couple more slices of cake inside. Zye shakes his head when Jace gets close. “Really? You let her get away with that, huh?”

“Was I supposed to refuse?”

“No, dummy. It’s fine, give it here.” He’s gentle with the bag he takes from Jace. All so he can tuck it into the compartment that helmets are usually stored in. Once it’s safe and he’s sure it won’t jostle too much, he turns back to Jace. “Must be hard with everyone liking you, huh?”

The sly look has Jace a bit confused. It’s been a while since anyone other than Callua has poked fun at him. He takes the helmet. “Not as hard as you think. It did earn me free cake. What did you get?”

“I got to go to lunch with a good-looking guy that can get me free food.”

The wink at the end is what sells it for Jace. He laughs as Zye climbs onto the bike, waiting for Jace to do so as well. Zye rolls his eyes and starts the motorcycle.

“Are you coming or not?”

Jace makes sure the helmet is secure then slips on behind Zye. The engine purrs as Zye begins to take them back. As usual, Zye isn’t surprised to have arms around his waist. Jace never sits too close but it does have him wondering if the man isn’t entirely comfortable with this mode of transportation. A reason to take it a little easier on the way back.

Returning to the spot they left, Zye turns the motor off. He waits for Jace to move first before getting off and kicking out the stand. It’s a brief, silent scuffle of getting out the cake then placing the helmets in. Once the precious cargo is in Zye’s hands, he gives a nod toward the house.

“Want to come in? It’s probably just us unless Shae gets off soon.”

For a moment Jace considers not going inside. He can just walk away right here. The nagging feeling in the back of his mind begs him to do so. Something he continues to try and push away in exchange for this nice, warm sensation of being around people again. People that aren’t a part of his problems.

“Sure. I can stay for a little bit.”

Zye gives him a smile in return. One that’s followed by a weak punch to Jace’s shoulder. “Just promise not to tell anyone we have cake.”

“Promise.”

________________________

The beginning of June brings weather that’s far more humid than hot. It’s a moist sort of heat that has Zye hating that he has to go out in it. Although it does have him donning a pair of sunglasses unlike usual— if only because the sun is too damned bright.

Each step only makes it worse. The legs of his shorts just touch the tops of his knees but even that’s too much coverage. Especially when it feels like he’s boiling out here among the horde of people trying to get to the various shops. All he wants is to get to the pharmacy Shae uses and get home.

He hates that they use different ones. Then again he knows it’s probably because Shae likes to go out and socialize with the people who glare at him. At the moment the only thing he hates more than those that stare up at him is the sweltering heat. He just wants to go home already yet here he is, waiting for the light to turn so he can cross the road.

“Zye?”

The voice hits his ears and has him spinning around. Eyes scour the crowd until he simply has to step out of it, shouldering past a few to get to the back. There, he sees Jace. He certainly doesn’t look like the heat bothers him at all. Not with most of his hair swept up and back thanks to the yellow bandanna to the faded yellow t-shirt. Surprising him, he sees jeans and it makes Zye want to ask how he manages.

“Hey. What are you doing out here?”

Jace moves closer, settling beside Zye as he turns back to watch for the signal. “Nothing. I was waiting for Callua to get back to me.”

“Really? She said this morning she’d swing by later. If you want you can too if you’re free.”

“I can do that.”

The signal hits green and everyone begins to cross the street. Zye moves to follow the pack. “I’m just running an errand. You can meet me there or tag along if you want.”

“I don’t mind.” Jace settles at his side the entire way. “Is there anything you need help with or carried back?”

“Nah, it’s just picking up Shae’s prescription. Easy peasy.”

“Is it very far? You don’t seem to have your bike today.”

“It’s easier to walk sometimes and I might not have let it charge.”

Jace nods, as if he knows exactly what that means, and continues to follow Zye to the left once they cross the street. He tries to stay as close as he can that way they don’t get separated. Not that Zye doesn’t stand out considering his height. As they get to the store, however, he watches as those shoulders square up a bit.

Zye glances back at him, “It’ll just be a second.”

“I’ll wait out here then.”

A nod and Zye slips inside. Jace does just as he says, standing off to the side with his hands in his pockets. The traffic is minimal considering the type of store. It has Jace thankful since it means it doesn’t take Zye very long. Seeing him walk back out and stop in front of him has Jace glad— they can get moving again and away from all these people.

“Get everything you need?”

“Yeah.”

Zye glances over to see a teenager heading his way. He does what he can by moving closer to Jace, giving them plenty of room to walk by considering the man heading in the opposite direction. His strides are filled with loud confidence if the slap of his sandals is anything to go by.

The youth can’t react fast enough. The man barrels right past the teen, his arm slamming hard against the small frame. They can’t remain standing and stumble backward before finally falling onto their rear.

The man glances down only to see green and pink eyes staring up at him. There’s a tinge of fear that crosses their face as the man’s stoic expression contorts into a scowl. They try to get up but the man is already making a scene they can’t escape from. “Disgusting, can’t you freaks stay where you belong?”

Jace can see the anger flash over Zye’s countenance even with the sunglasses on. Lips draw into a taut line and his brows scrunch behind the frames. If it had been him, Zye wouldn’t care. He’d bite back as much as he can. Zye thrusts the paper bag into Jace’s hands and spins around.

“They were, you were the asshole that ran into them.”

Turning to this new party, the man scoffs. “And who are you? Their daddy?”

Zye gets quiet as he steps up into the man’s personal space. Toe to toe, he stands a solid head over this man. He bears down on him with all the intensity he can muster. “Lucky I’m not or I’d have laid your ass out.”

“Trying to impress someone? Find a better way than sticking up for a Chroma,” he retorts with a nod in Jace’s direction.

That throws Zye right over the edge. He reaches up and tugs the sunglasses off. A smirk curls onto his lips at the surprise on the man’s face. “That guy? He’s got a buddy in this police precinct so if you don’t wanna end up on a hard bed tonight I’d suggest apologizing and moving the hell on.”

Paling at that, the man begins to notice the attention they’re drawing. He’s more bark than bite and proves it by tucking tail. There’s no ‘I’m sorry’ as he scurries past the teen. Simply hands in his pockets and his head ducking down.

It all has Zye heaving a sigh. He despises lying, but a little white one to keep the kid safe is a good enough reason for him. The sting of it is nothing when he moves over to the kid and sees their large smile.

“T-thank you.”

He extends a hand, helping them to their feet. “Don’t mention it. Just be more careful. Watch for the ones like that and here,” he holds out the sunglasses to them, “and keep a pair on yourself just in case. It’s easier when you get into crowds to just keep ‘em covered.”

They nod then hurry on their way, eager to get far away from the remaining gazes prying into the situation. Zye is no different. He waits a moment for the kid to vanish around a corner before he gestures for Jace to follow him. All while graciously accepting the bag back into his possession.

Walking far from the prying eyes that half-expected a fight, has Zye huffing. “Sorry about that.”

Jace glances over at him. “You don’t have to apologize. It wasn’t your fault.”

“Hah! That’s hilarious. You should know that any time it involves a Chroma, it’s their fault.”

“Doesn’t mean it’s right.”

Zye stops walking, coming up to the crosswalk where they’re the only two waiting. “I figured you weren’t a jerk because you hang with Callua. But you act like you don’t even know what a Chroma is. I figured you’d be gone by now once you hung around us enough.”

“I guess it helps I’m not from around here.”

“Seriously? Like on the other side of the globe? Ignored all the hot news online about it?”

Jace keeps his eyes straight ahead. He can’t believe he’s forgotten to get more information from Callua about this place and its people. He’s failing without even trying. “I don’t keep up with it other than the basic information. Not that I could tell unless you told me you were one.”

The light changes and they begin to cross. Zye shoves his hands into his pockets. “You say that but my eyes are a dead giveaway. Not to mention it’s obvious when most wear sunglasses even at night. Some resort to contacts.”

“Do most people behave like that?”

“No. But no one cares enough anymore. The scientists don’t think they need to find a cure since it’s genetic. The rally behind us died out as quickly as we will. Besides everyone behind the leak that caused it is behind bars so the roar for justice is dead too.”

Gone are the bustling parts of the city as they turn the corner. It’s not much farther and they’ll reach the neighborhood. It seems a little colder in these parts with how the trees are overgrown and stretch out over the street and sidewalks.

“But if it’s genetic—”

Zye chuckles. It’s a bit hollow to Jace’s ears, sad even. “It can only be passed down. But sooner or later there’ll be a generation that doesn’t live long enough to even do that.”

“Ah…I see. I apologize for not putting the two together.”

“Don’t, it’s fine.”

Jace stops for a moment. He curls his fingers into fists while his chest aches. He’s angry— on behalf of those that aren’t heard despite how loud they scream. No one deserves that agony. He doesn’t understand how things get to be like this. Suddenly, he doesn’t miss the agony of living.

“If there’s anything you need or if you’re in pain, let me know and I’ll help. It’s hard to tell with how you carry yourself.”

Zye turns, caught mid-step without realizing Jace had stopped walking. He sighs and walks up to Jace. That inch of difference does nothing but let him smile down at the brunet. Zye taps a finger to Jace’s chest. “I’m just fine, but thanks. Unless you want to carry my measly bag that badly.”

“I can.”

“Pff, you’re too much. I guess you really are as good a guy as Cal says.”

He doesn’t notice Jace hasn’t looked away. He’s staring up into those dual-toned eyes. They remind Jace of memories he’s tucked deep inside— memories he uses to ensure he keeps moving forward.

“It’s a shame that it feels like a mark. They really are beautiful.”

“W-what?” Zye recoils back, a whole step and a half.

“Your eyes. They remind me of these flowers my mother used to grow. They were the some of the ones that she devoted extra care to.”

There’s a bit of a flutter in Zye’s chest. A feeling he tries to shove far, far into the back of his mind. He doesn’t need that right now. Although, it does remind him of Xerxes. The boy said the same thing back when they met; how much he liked them, how pretty they were, and what they reminded him of.

Or even his mother. She always found things that matched or went well with them; clothes, nail polish, little knick-knacks, or even the odd plush toy. Anything to try and prove it wasn’t a bad thing to have them.

He pushes a smirk up onto his countenance, “Thanks, although ‘pretty’ isn’t really what I’m aiming for.” Jace moves to fall back in line beside Zye. As he does, they resume their walk back to the house. It’s quiet only for a moment. “What kind of flower is it?”

“I’ll try to find them sometime. It’s been so long I don’t think I can remember the name.”

“Really? Nice going there. A compliment and then you stall out on me. I expect a bouquet of them now.”

“I didn’t realize you liked flowers that much. I think I can pull that off easily enough.”

Zye knocks his arm against Jace’s as if to rib him but misses. “No way, don’t do that. If you show up with flowers I’ll never hear the end of it from Shae. And I mean never.”

Jace’s warm laughter seems to melt away the tension from the encounter with that person from earlier. It’s all but forgotten as he glances over at Zye. “Don’t worry, I wouldn’t dare give him any ammo against you.” He gives a small hum of thought. “Who do you think is worse, Cal or Shae?”

They turn the final corner that lets them head toward the cul-de-sac. He’s not sure how to answer at first. It should be easy, he’s known Shae longer. Still…

“Definitely Callua. But he’s a close second.”

“Hmm…maybe I should have bought them out for the evening to give you a night of peace instead of food.”

Zye shoots him a glare; playful, half-hearted, and not menacing in the least. “Don’t you dare, I’d rather have the food anytime. And some good company doesn’t hurt either.”

________________________

Later that night finds Jace waiting for Callua to leave. He’s managed to sneak out before her under the guise of him being tired. Zye and Shae don’t question it— they’re good people like that. Company that he appreciates in this lull of activity.

He’s moved a few streets away. The veil is already back, hiding him from mortal eyes while he sits atop a store building. One leg bends up on the ledge while the other hangs over it. It swings gently.

Back and forth.

Back and forth.

“Keep you waiting long?”

“You know you did.”

Jace doesn’t turn. He waits for Callua to pad over and sit beside him. Her skirt folds against her lap while she leans forward, hands holding onto the ledge. She watches the people below. There’s not many out with how late it is. A stray person here, a couple there, and maybe someone with a pet.

“What did you need to talk about? I’ve already got Charm ringing my ear off.”

“I forgot to ask you about this world. I’ll need some information before I come back.”

She smiles at him. It’s not entirely sweet. There’s mischief hiding in those tangerine-colored eyes. “Oh? Put your foot in your mouth already? He won’t deck you, you’re my friend, so you’re safe.”

“You’re so frustrating. I don’t want to offend either of them. I didn’t realize there was something different about them.”

“Ah…yeah. Sorry about that, I should have warned you since you’ve been hanging out with them more. I can probably meet back up with you after I stop by to speak with Charm. I need to turn in my report.”

Jace finally gives her his full attention. “Did it go alright?”

“Yup! No one eavesdropping this time either.” A sigh slips out. “It’s getting harder to pull off this…whatever this is. Double-agent?”

“It’s exhausting, I know. At least you don’t have to deal with Hax.”

Callua laughs as she stands up. Hands brush over the folds of blue material, smoothing out any wrinkles. A step back and to the side has her behind Jace. She pats his head. “You’re right, I got lucky. I just have to deal with Daichi. All the time.”

“Fair enough, you win.” He can hear the portal opening as she pulls away. “Let me know what she says we should do next.”

“Sure, sure.”

1